Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ruismaker FM 1.01 update in the AppStore

Comments

• Thx Bram - Ruis Lab!

• edited August 2016

@brambos said:
    That said, here are the settings I use in Patterning and AUM, which work instantly for me (no setting changes needed in Ruismaker FM itself):

Ureka! I finally got it going, and am delighted with the results. I had somehow got the wrong note settings, but copying your setup works a treat. It's bedtime now, but tomorrow looks like a load of fun.

Thanks again to all who posted, putting me straight.

• @brambos Thank you for Ruismaker FM. Four instances within MidiSteps has been the most iOS fun I've had in ages. And the app sounds fantastic.

• It sounds soooo good. I just made a dope track in like 10 minutes with patterning propelling RFM and Gadget. Then my iPad started to stutter. But when ios life is good it's sooo good!

• Further to my resolved issues, maybe @Brambos could shed a little light for the also befuddled. Using the settings he provided, RusimakerFM and Ruismaker are both working splendidly, of course.

But, I've been thinking about how I got the original settings, and remembered it was when I first tried to get Rusimaker working under AUM via Patterning. The thing is, those other setting did produce noises. I found them experimenting with what notes did anything at all. I know it worked, 'cause I have a preset saved in AUM. Yet, when I tried again yesterday, nothing worked until I reset to the approved notes.

Like Toyah in the 80's, "It's a mythtery." :)

• @Nkersov said:
    But, I've been thinking about how I got the original settings, and remembered it was when I first tried to get Rusimaker working under AUM via Patterning. The thing is, those other setting did produce noises. I found them experimenting with what notes did anything at all.

No problem...

For both Ruismakers, you can switch to oldschool General Midi key mappings in their settings (go to the iOS settings app, scroll down to find the Ruismaker/FM icon, activate the "conventional GM key mapping" switch).

This basically maps the channels of the Ruismakers to keys we used to use in the 1990s. I guess Patterning also defaults to those.

Thing is, the GM standard keys are horrible for jamming when you only have a piano style MIDI keyboard at your disposal because the relevant keys are all over the place and are spread out over a large width with lots of useless keys in between. For jamming, the black keys are much nicer because they're easier to hit (especially using controllers with mini-keys) and easier to distinguish while quickly playing. Hence my convention-breaking key mapping.

• edited August 2016

@brambos said:

@Nkersov said:

>

Thing is, the GM standard keys are horrible for jamming when you only have a piano style MIDI keyboard at your disposal because the relevant keys are all over the place and are spread out over a large width with lots of useless keys in between. For jamming, the black keys are much nicer because they're easier to hit (especially using controllers with mini-keys) and easier to distinguish while quickly playing. Hence my convention-breaking key mapping.

This is a really really REALLY good innovation!!

• While I think about it, is there any way you could add swing to these apps? I'm thinking how great they'd sound if they could vary output. Sort of like the difference between a robot drummer and an android. :)

• @Nkersov said:
    While I think about it, is there any way you could add swing to these apps? I'm thinking how great they'd sound if they could vary output. Sort of like the difference between a robot drummer and an android. :)

er. the swing is controlled by whatever is driving the apps. modstep has swing. so does midisteps.

• @Nkersov said:
    While I think about it, is there any way you could add swing to these apps? I'm thinking how great they'd sound if they could vary output. Sort of like the difference between a robot drummer and an android. :)

That's totally up to the host or the sequencer. Patterning can obviously do that (choose the first round icon in the row of 4 icons on the right-hand side of the screen), and Cubasis, Modstep and Garageband as well.

• ...or you can add swing to your fingers.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:p

er. the swing is controlled by whatever is driving the apps. modstep has swing. so does midisteps.

Oh yes, doh! :*

• Update available

• I still need to update the manual to cover the new random-via-midi function.
    Basically: send MIDI CC#109 with the channel you want to randomize:

CC109 value 0 = randomize channel 1
    CC109 value 1 = randomize channel 2
    CC109 value 2 = randomize channel 3
    CC109 value 3 = randomize channel 4
    CC109 value 4 = randomize channel 5
    CC109 value 5 = randomize channel 6

• @brambos Hey, it would be nice if there was an option to switch from black keys to regular c major scale. I would like to use it with ableton push, but the fact that its played on all black keys makes it bit frustrating, because i need to put the push so that it shows all keys(i can also put scales on pads, but afaik there is no scale that uses all black keys, if you know one let me know), and then the drum hits are pretty much what seems like random pads here and there :/

• edited September 2016

@ToMess said:
    @brambos Hey, it would be nice if there was an option to switch from black keys to regular c major scale. I would like to use it with ableton push, but the fact that its played on all black keys makes it bit frustrating, because i need to put the push so that it shows all keys(i can also put scales on pads, but afaik there is no scale that uses all black keys, if you know one let me know), and then the drum hits are pretty much what seems like random pads here and there :/

I'm not too familiar with the Ableton Push, but you can switch the key mapping to regular General Midi mapping in the settings (basically the same mapping as Patterning, etc.). Does that help?

Also, someone else mentioned that F# Pentatonic scale gives you all black keys.

• @brambos said:

@ToMess said:
    @brambos Hey, it would be nice if there was an option to switch from black keys to regular c major scale. I would like to use it with ableton push, but the fact that its played on all black keys makes it bit frustrating, because i need to put the push so that it shows all keys(i can also put scales on pads, but afaik there is no scale that uses all black keys, if you know one let me know), and then the drum hits are pretty much what seems like random pads here and there :/

I'm not too familiar with the Ableton Push, but you can switch the key mapping to regular General Midi mapping in the settings (basically the same mapping as Patterning, etc.). Does that help?

Thanks, that was what i was looking for :D Didnt realize there was some option in the ipads own settings for the app

• And e flat minor pentatonic.

• @brambos said:

Most importantly after laying down a groove I've rarely experienced any regret on playback -- it just sounds like what I intended and as I add more instrumentation the Ruismaker sounds continue to blend exactly as (or better than) conceived...they don't get lost nor do they stick out annoyingly.

That's great to read David!

One of the secrets is that I suck at maths and physics (compared to some of my dev colleagues). I have relatively few preconceptions of how a synth model is supposed to work in theory. As a result I build most of my stuff by ear and I keep tinkering with my engine until everything stops sucking B)

A true hacker :)

• @brambos said:

@ToMess said:

Finally got the time to test it and the scale it makes when i try to put it on normal keys is some completely random one :/ It starts from C and goes to D, D#, A then one octave higher C and D. Cant get pentatonic scales on push without modifying the scale scripts and, i wont be getting into that anytime soon :/ Too much stuff going on already..

• @ToMess said:
    Finally got the time to test it and the scale it makes when i try to put it on normal keys is some completely random one :/ It starts from C and goes to D, D#, A then one octave higher C and D.

These are the standard GM drum mappings from the 80s. I'm not very fond of them, but they are more or less the standard. I would expect that Push supports those.

I don't own a Push, but does this help...?
    https://www.lynda.com/articles/using-3rd-party-drum-plugins-ableton-push

• @brambos said:

@ToMess said:
    Finally got the time to test it and the scale it makes when i try to put it on normal keys is some completely random one :/ It starts from C and goes to D, D#, A then one octave higher C and D.

These are the standard GM drum mappings from the 80s. I'm not very fond of them, but they are more or less the standard. I would expect that Push supports those.

Ah, i thought Gm stood for G major scale :D Would be cool if there was an option for c major scale, as that would be the most simple and usually the default scale in pretty much everything. Ill try to figure it out later. Thanks

• edited September 2016

@ToMess said:

@brambos said:

@ToMess said:

Ah, i thought Gm stood for G major scale :D Would be cool if there was an option for c major scale, as that would be the most simple and usually the default scale in pretty much everything. Ill try to figure it out later. Thanks

Just transpose the incoming MIDI up or down by a semitone (Thumbjam can do this and then pass the MIDI on to Ruismaker, if Push can't transpose itself). Then all the notes will be on white keys (fitting inside C Major key signature).

• @OscarSouth said:

@ToMess said:

@brambos said:

@ToMess said:

Just transpose the incoming MIDI up or down by a semitone (Thumbjam can do this and then pass the MIDI on to Ruismaker, if Push can't transpose itself). Then all the notes will be on white keys (fitting inside C Major key signature).

I dont have thumbjam and, the routing is starting to be bit too complex already. Seems like there is no transpose in push, but not sure. Also i need to learn the basics of it first, just got it

• Everybody should have Thumbjam.

• @OscarSouth said:
    Everybody should have Thumbjam.

Agreed. I think it's an oversight that Apple haven't figured out it's simply the right thing to do to include a copy on every iThing they ship.

• edited September 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Everybody should have Thumbjam.

Agreed. I think it's an oversight that Apple haven't figured out it's simply the right thing to do to include a copy on every iThing they ship.

Agreed. and 5% of all iTHING profits should go to the dev. Seriously. Thumbjam is like water. can't live without it now.

• edited September 2016

Whoops. double post by mistake. Ignore please.

• @ToMess said:

I use drum racks to drive ruismaker, you just have to alter the outgoing note to match the notes set in ruismaker. The only problem I have got (sure it's a bug in ableton) is that the audio is not being split into its respective channels. You just have to put on an external instrument plugin on each drum rack pad.

• For some reason the ccs in Modstep do not match the manual... What is listed as cc30 is actually cc4 in modstep etc... Would really love to modulate this but... Hmmmm :q