Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - May 2016

Comments

• @Snekula Cool sounding track. Would make a really cool music for a movie transition, showing a lapse in time or sequence of events. Like something in a Quentin Tarantino film.

• @richardyot said:

@crouchie said:
    I'm just not a great fan of the pitch correction thing is all.

I have to say that I found the out-of-tuneness very distracting on some of the previous entries from @orchardman, because it took me out of the moment, and out-of-key singing is much more noticeable to the average listener than pitch correction.

(I've never heard you sing off-key @crouchie BTW.)

Anyway it's interesting to hear the other point of view, a lot of people say they don't like pitch correction but I would guess for most listeners it's probably better to have some relatively subtle pitch-fixing if it helps the vocal. It's one of those things like reverb that can cause a strong reaction/opinion either way.

I don't like pitch correction if I can hear it. All the times I don't hear it I can only presume I'm preferring it to the alternative. Classic omission/commission etc.

• @Bluepunk you have an interesting idea of "pop" music, that probably differs somewhat from the commissioners at Radio 1. The vocal delivery is still a little bit more Johnny Rotten than Jason Donovan, I don't think my mother-in-law would dig them.

Production is good, except the vocals are a bit quiet. As someone else said it does sound like there is a full band backing you, which is going to be a problem when you take this act out on the road, unless you learn to play guitar with your toes.

The lyrics (when I can hear them) are funny, and the ending is excellent and hilarious. Some great riffing going on there too.

• Thanks Richard. I was hoping that it may slip under the "pop radar" but maybe I'll rethink where that tambo shakes it's stuff! I think my toes will do a far superior job at playing the guitar & thanks for the riffing compliment. Over everything, to sound like (ish) a guitar player rockin some riffage out means a hell of a lot to me. It was on my bucket list & hopefully I can tick it off soon. Still have to have a go at an acoustic guitar sound but that maybe a few months off yet!
    Thanks again & I'm off to listen to Mr Donovan for some pop tips! Apologies to your mum in law. If she wants some Jason D, then I should oblige. Can't upset them (MIL) now can we? :wink:

• @Bluepunk @richardyot I know none of us have the time, but if they ever invent a thirteenth month perhaps we should have an SOTMC where we each come up with something as much 'against type' as possible. Or maybe I do that every month....

• @crouchie said:

@orchardman said:

@richardyot said:
    @orchardman congratulations on a terrific song. Great melancholy melody coupled with a fantastic vocal delivery, I really love it. Love the guitar as well, gives a great counterpoint to the voice. I love the sadness of the song, it doesn't really sound like country music to me though, more like a classic ballad.

If I had my producer's hat on I would recommend cutting it down a bit, it's probably a minute or so too long. Love the ending though, when it goes down to just piano and vocal after the second guitar solo, makes a great outro.

I think the pitch correction is working, I didn't pick up on the artifacts that @crouchie heard, and the vocal sounds great. This song is definitely my new favourite of yours.

Thanks for the feedback I'm glad you enjoyed the song. We are still relatively new to recording vocals and getting the right effects chain is still a bit hit and miss although I'm with you and I couldn't hear any artic acts from the pitch correction either.

Sorry, it's my lack of experience that makes me use the wrong words. If artefact is the wrong way to say it then what I'm referring to is the way that the pitch correction algorithm alters the sound of a singers voice. I have heard your partner sing on your previous tracks and there is a noticeable alteration to the timbre. She has a lovely voice and to my taste I prefer her voice unaltered. My own efforts are testament to me being happy to tolerate a bit of variable pitching... (ahem), but this is a taste thing, and i would rather that than the altered character (what I meant by artefact) that the pitch correction creates. But I stress this is simply a taste thing, and I read the comments suggesting you try it previously and it does definitely bring things in line.

Please remember I felt this was my favourite of yours and I only really have good things to say about you, the song and the singer. I'm just not a great fan of the pitch correction thing is all.

Cheers

P

Hey man I didn't mean to cause any upset here. My comment to @richardyot only meant that I didn't think the pitch correction on this particular song was obvious. Mind you I didn't hear the pitching issues that Richard mentioned in our previous songs either where for the most part the responses we got were pretty positive about the vocals. Maybe I have stood next to too many loud amps in my time.

At the end of the day we have all got different ears, different quality headphones and speakers and I am pretty happy with the stuff we are producing now and part of that is down to the advice and feedback I'm getting from this forum. I'm just grateful that people take the time to listen.

• @richardyot said:
    I need to catch up on my feedback. In the meantime my entry for the month:

Lyrics here

Hey Richard another catchy song from you this month you have certainly mastered the art of chorus writing. My only criticism is that I'm not sure the transition into the bridge quite works and maybe have those jangly guitars a touch higher in the mix but overall I liked it.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Bluepunk @richardyot I know none of us have the time, but if they ever invent a thirteenth month perhaps we should have an SOTMC where we each come up with something as much 'against type' as possible. Or maybe I do that every month....

Totally agree. It would be great fun. Maybe for one month our gaffer could put all our names in one hat & in another, a selection of genres. Lucky dip! To veer away from that comfort zone (attempt at harmony singing) was invigorating for me. Hard work but ultimately rewarding.

I feel a deep & meaningful "Love song" is on the horizon. What! No distortion! Help!

• @Snekula said:
    Hi,
    this is my last track, made with samplr

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-LNUGKfGxfk

Sorry mate, after an interesting and atmospheric start it didn't really go anywhere for me and the thing that sounded like the horn from a clowns car began to grate well before the end. Cool video though.

• @bluepunk, lol, pop might be stretching it. :smile: Vox should definitely be higher in the mix, but the rest of the mix is fabulous. Brilliant tune. That guitar tone is massive. Your voice works just fine with this kind of music. Love the breaks and changes - kind of a mix of punk, metal and prog. Ending still has me laughing.

• @TGiG, love it. There's an old song by Edgar Winter, "Frankenstein", which I always loved because it had that lurching, menacing feel of the monster. You've capture that movement of the mummy in this. I love the treatment of the melody throughout, and the changes in what's going on behind it. Wonderful mix.

• edited May 2016

@richardyot, it's a good tune, it drives, sounds are good. Drums are a bit low in the mix.

Two things with it - I am of fan of change and breaks. I think it would be well served with some kind of a different bridge to break it up better. Second thing, the music is too upbeat for the subject matter, IMO. Needs a bit of darkness in there.

• @Snekula, totally atmospheric piece, very cool, but it's way too long. I think you either need to progress it into something "more", or cut it back to a couple of minutes.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @bluepunk, lol, pop might be stretching it. :smile: Vox should definitely be higher in the mix, but the rest of the mix is fabulous. Brilliant tune. That guitar tone is massive. Your voice works just fine with this kind of music. Love the breaks and changes - kind of a mix of punk, metal and prog. Ending still has me laughing.

Thanks for so many positive comments Rick & I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love playing around with Guitarism & all the lovely amp sim apps. Some real guitarist geezers I know (non iOS converts....at the mo) cannot believe that an old tuneless tub thumper IS actually playing the guitar in these songs. When I showed them how (thank you apps) they were flabbergasted. As long as they don't pilfer my 3 chord riffs, I'll be happy! Takes me a month to make up those 3 chords! Thanks again. :smile:

• Thanks for your feedback. Very important for me

• Hey, @Snekula! Nice song! The vocal riff and the horn-like synth answering creates an hypnotic effect that is very cool. Ambient music at its best. Congratulations!

• @richardyot Excellent sensory filling intro. So catchy with that "deeeeh oaaarhw" haunting, mind altering sound. It's so hooky....love it. Then that weeeorrrh part like at .40 is a perfect way to lead into the chorus.
    The blend of synth & jangly guitar works really well highlighted to me in the chorus (like at .56 - 1.00). Effective, chirpy & gorgeous.
    First couple of listens I wasn't feeling the bridge but after a few more....I got it & appreciate the kinda "bringing me down a tad" before triumphantly launching me into the upbeat chorus. Dynamically dope as the youngsters say these days.
    The middle 8 before the last chorus is lovely & falls beautifully into that chorus with your high vocal at 3.06. Nice.
    The drummer has got that laid back feel to them. Is it that bloody Darcy? No..really good rhythm & sound to them.
    Sung with passion & skill, my favourite line is "It's not the thoughts........I'm struggling to find."
    I echo what orchardman said. Your chorus is like a freshly aired, soft pillow full of shiny feathered hooks. Yum! Can't stop humming it! Great tune & production. :smile:

• Thanks for the feedback @orchardman @rickwaugh @Bluepunk

@Bluepunk I think when you say "bridge" you mean the pre-chorus drop, which I agree needs a bit more work, it's too soft and flabby and needs to be much more punchy to really work. I'll try and fix that. The drummer is indeed our good friend Darcy, although I have to get her to lay off the paradiddles.

• @richardyot said:
    Thanks for the feedback @orchardman @rickwaugh @Bluepunk

@Bluepunk I think when you say "bridge" you mean the pre-chorus drop, which I agree needs a bit more work, it's too soft and flabby and needs to be much more punchy to really work. I'll try and fix that. The drummer is indeed our good friend Darcy, although I have to get her to lay off the paradiddles.

Yes, sorry, I did mean that drop. I forgot to ask - what was the synth that made those sounds that I raved on about earlier? As for Darcy.......lets see if she can cope with 230bpm
    double paradiddles! That'll push the gorgeous girly alright! :smiley:

• The synth is of course my new love (sorry Darcy), the Moog Model 15. Just love twiddling that filter.

The intro part is a blend of synth and guitar, with a heavily modulated guitar sound simultaneously driving the synth via MIDI Guitar.

• @theconnactic , thanks! Your track is good also!

• @richardyot Viz: Doubt. Yes, could tighten up the bridge etc as mentioned. I like the pace of this piece but in terms of overall up and down I feel it may stay a little too close to the middle. I wanted a bit more. I know; as ever :) Must also say that while I always seem to have JAMC in my head a little with your work, the start of this really reminded me more of The Furs and in a good way. Maybe it's thinking of them(or maybe just @bluepunk and our talk of changing up styles :)), but I would love to hear what would happen to you vocally, or how you'd deal with it anyway, if your central character, the 'I', in one of your songs was a mean bastard. Not unlikable, just harsh and certain. Maybe full of anger or a need for revenge. Just a thought....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I would love to hear what would happen to you vocally, or how you'd deal with it anyway, if your central character, the 'I', in one of your songs was a mean bastard. Not unlikable, just harsh and certain.

Thanks for the thought. This protagonist I feel is quite unlikable, although it's ambiguous until the middle eight. He's a bastard, but mean and flaky rather than mean and certain (which is how most people end up being bastards in relationships I think). The lyric writing is like everything else, progressing slowly, but there's still a lot to do.

• @richardyot said:
    The synth is of course my new love (sorry Darcy), the Moog Model 15. Just love twiddling that filter.

The intro part is a blend of synth and guitar, with a heavily modulated guitar sound simultaneously driving the synth via MIDI Guitar.

After the word "heavily" my tiny, uneducated mind was lost :wink: Thanks Richard. You've definitely got that Moog singing to your tune. All those tips & tricks you helped folk out with on the forum are going to ensure that you and the Moog will be best friends for a long time to come. As for madam Darcy.........

• Haha, it's not actually that complicated. I pay the guitar, and the sound goes into Tonestack, while at the same time going into MIDI Guitar which then uses the the guitar notes to play the synth - so you have guitar and synth in perfect sync. It's a cool way of making crazy sounds, and the nice thing about the MIDI Guitar app is that it tracks pitch bends, so the guitar-like phrasing (slight vibrato, quarter-note bends etc) is also played by the synth.

Sadly it only works with an actual guitar, because MIDI Guitar tracks from the audio input. You could do a similar trick with a guitar app that also has MIDI out, which I think both Guitarism and Guitar Capo have. Geo Synth could also do the trick.

• @richardyot said:
    Haha, it's not actually that complicated. I pay the guitar, and the sound goes into Tonestack, while at the same time going into MIDI Guitar which then uses the the guitar notes to play the synth - so you have guitar and synth in perfect sync. It's a cool way of making crazy sounds, and the nice thing about the MIDI Guitar app is that it tracks pitch bends, so the guitar-like phrasing (slight vibrato, quarter-note bends etc) is also played by the synth.

Sadly it only works with an actual guitar, because MIDI Guitar tracks from the audio input. You could do a similar trick with a guitar app that also has MIDI out, which I think both Guitarism and Guitar Capo have. Geo Synth could also do the trick.

Wow! Thanks for that. I say wow because to me, it's one of those light bulb moments. If I get this to work, it will make me feel like I've just passed a degree in computer science! Thank you again. Wow!

• I thought I would give it a go in Guitarism as an experiment, it works pretty well. I used the acoustic 12 string in Guitarism while also using its MIDI out to drive Sunrizer and instantly got lots of very interesting textures. Only thing missing is the added expression you get with a real guitar via the left-hand fingering, but it's close enough.

• I am also left-handed. It has been a Godsend etc.

• @richardyot said:
    I thought I would give it a go in Guitarism as an experiment, it works pretty well. I used the acoustic 12 string in Guitarism while also using its MIDI out to drive Sunrizer and instantly got lots of very interesting textures. Only thing missing is the added expression you get with a real guitar via the left-hand fingering, but it's close enough.

Thanks Richard. This had opened up a whole new world of music making. Even synths to play with now thru Guitarism! Because I'm a dull bugger, this type of revelation is off the scale on my planet. Ok....where's that OU application form...

• edited May 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I am also left-handed. It has been a Godsend etc.

I'm a leftie, both in the dextrous and the political sense - but I play the guitar right-handed. On the guitar the left hand is what gives your sound its character, because everyone has a slightly different way of articulating the notes with bends, slides, hammers etc...

@Bluepunk said:
    Thanks Richard. This had opened up a whole new world of music making. Even synths to play with now thru Guitarism!

Yes, it's pretty cool.