Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - May 2016

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, is often the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. Instrumentals are very welcome, and songs with vocals are especially encouraged, so if you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material.

Comments

• I think I may have mentioned this before but the surfacing of SOTMC May (and so soon dammit, straight after April) reminds me of the Mike Royko line about 'being a columnist is like being married to a nymphomaniac; as soon as you get done you have to start all over...'

• Just listening to the new Radiohead single and found myself taking SOTMC-type notes in my head. Must get out more.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Just listening to the new Radiohead single and found myself taking SOTMC-type notes in my head. Must get out more.

I listened to it earlier today, wasn't that taken with it. However since embarking on this SOTMC malarkey I find myself constantly listening for structure in any music I hear, as well as keeping an ear out for any ideas I might want to pilfer.

• edited May 2016

Same track as last month but finished and pretty different thanks to feedback here.

• Nice work, @acromus. The intro is very good, and the pace and build of the song is really smooth and effective. The bass line is great! Loved the many sonic subtleties that dance around an otherwise static theme. Congratulations.

• Another nice song that certainly would benefit of more careful production work, @trackedout. It's already cleaner than the last month's one, so I'd say you're on the right path. Some of ideas are good, some of them are really great. The chorus is very powerful, both melody and lyrics. The vocals are good, and I like that sudden end. Keep it up!

• edited May 2016

Here's my own for this month:

All the best,
    Dimitri.

• @theconnactic hey thank you. . im glad you liked the song . i would like to hear more of what you would change production wise. i changed alot of things on this months. for example i did the vocals in a quiet room instead of on a bicycle riding around.. i also used a real microphone and ran everything thru a mixers preamp and eq then into my irig pre then ipad.... well actually just the bass and one guitar.. but it made a huge improvement in my bass sound. even though i didnt reset the mixer and it was noisy . thank you again

• I'm back with a song of the month after taking a break for the last two. No apps, no synths, just rock this time:

• Hi quality punk rock, @gburks: congrats!

• You're welcome, @trackedout. Perhaps more polish in the mixing stage would help your songs a lot. The arrangement is also kinda busy at times. Try to adjust the volumes while referencing with a known song that you find the mix is great, and choose between instruments that compete for space in the mix. Since you changed some of your gear, I think your mixes and arrangements will improve as soon as you get used to the new equipment. All the best!

• @theconnactic i dig your bass playing. the production is good id like to hear a little less reverb on the solo guitar in the begining. i really like your jazzy breakdown. wasnt expecting that...

• It's a Memory Man delay, @trackedout! Thank you so much for the review: glad you liked it!

• @achromus hey your song sounds great. id have to say i truly cant say anything but great job

• @trackedout Intriguing title. What's the story behind that then? First thing that stood out was the difference in your vocal clarity. You've cleaned them up & increased the volume so well done on that. If the feel you're after is a loose, laid back, slightly off kilter affair then it's a clever success. What I mean by that is the drums & bass seem to match while the guitar (particularly in verse 1 compared to verse later in your tune) comes in slightly after.
    Is that a brass thing blasting in at .40? Unexpected & cool.
    I enjoy your songs. There's something different about how you deliver your art. It challenges me to dip deeper with my musical shovel. Oh & again, an ending that appeals to me. Like saying the word goodbye but only saying goo. I look forward to your nex...... :smile:

• @achromus I agree with Dimitri. The "smoothness" runs throughout. Testament to your top playing & mixing skills. I've already mentioned in last months comments what I liked & enjoyed about this song but if I can add that the crisp, ear filling snare moves your song smoothly (that word again) along its beautiful meandering, obstacle free path, is lush.
    Did you use effects on that snare. If so, may I ask which one(s)?
    Lots of different textures of sounds on top & below ground level to soak up & savour. Adds interest & depth to proceedings.

I hear certain characteristics in your songs construction & sound that I can't help but think that your good self & @Igneous1 (the Formbank side of Igneous) could make a formidable team if you ever decide on a collaboration together. Congrats on your revised version sir. :smiley:

• @theconnactic Hey, wonderfully, skilled guitar playing on show......again! Another jaunty, happy sun inducing tune from the Dimitri "hit factory." Wow, the section from 2.00 was unforeseen & adorable. That latiny, jazz influenced feeling it throws out got my distant Buddy Rich memory bank to re engage. A huge gold star & smiley sir. You must have fingers made of asbestos cos boy, can you play fast & on point, especially on the bass. Great section that is. (I must revisit your "bass compression" tips again...thanks).

The drums are solid with nice "punch" & sound real. Are they? I know it's only a small thing but the crash/ride that highlights your outro makes a definite dynamic difference (try saying that with a mouth full of roasted Moco tails) & I appreciate those subtle things.
    Yep...your usual high standard applies again. Nice one. :smile:

• Thank you so much, @Bluepunk! :smiley:

• @theconnactic said:
    Nice work, @acromus. The intro is very good, and the pace and build of the song is really smooth and effective. The bass line is great! Loved the many sonic subtleties that dance around an otherwise static theme. Congratulations.

Thanks very much.

• @trackedout said:
    @achromus hey your song sounds great. id have to say i truly cant say anything but great job

Cheers.

• @Bluepunk said:
    @achromus I agree with Dimitri. The "smoothness" runs throughout. Testament to your top playing & mixing skills. I've already mentioned in last months comments what I liked & enjoyed about this song but if I can add that the crisp, ear filling snare moves your song smoothly (that word again) along its beautiful meandering, obstacle free path, is lush.
    Lots of different textures of sounds on top & below ground level to soak up & savour. Adds interest & depth to proceedings.

I hear certain characteristics in your songs construction & sound that I can't help but think that your good self & @Igneous1 (the Formbank side of Igneous) could make a formidable team if you ever decide on a collaboration together. Congrats on your revised version sir. :smiley:

Thanks for the nice feedback. I tend to tweak a lot of sounds in Gadget. The snare is just 'CP Stacked' in the London drum machine with some fiddling and using the (pretty good imo) hall reverb.

You have a very good ear. igneous and I are friends and we have collaborated on several projects previously.

• @achromus said:

@Bluepunk said:
    @achromus I agree with Dimitri. The "smoothness" runs throughout. Testament to your top playing & mixing skills. I've already mentioned in last months comments what I liked & enjoyed about this song but if I can add that the crisp, ear filling snare moves your song smoothly (that word again) along its beautiful meandering, obstacle free path, is lush.

Thanks for the nice feedback. I tend to tweak a lot of sounds in Gadget. The snare is just 'CP Stacked' in the London drum machine with some fiddling and using the (pretty good imo) hall reverb.

Thanks for the info & I'm busily scribbling "hall reverb" into my little black drum book. It definitely adds a depth & lushness of sound to the snare.

You have a very good ear. igneous and I are friends and we have collaborated on several projects previously.

I was listening to igneous album (very good) a couple of weeks ago & I'd like to listen to your past collabs with him. :smile:

• Yes Mister @Bluepunk, very well observed, we've been rumbled :blush:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/jazz-electric/id419380125

• Typical. Get myself all psyched up for some early SOTMC listening, time put aside, pint mug of chili mint tea to sharpen the senses, and, bam, Soundcloud's down.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Typical. Get myself all psyched up for some early SOTMC listening, time put aside, pint mug of chili mint tea to sharpen the senses, and, bam, Soundcloud's down.

Yes, I've had a similar experience with Corals this evening. All my football bets have gone down.....big time. :weary: Chilli mint tea! Very smooth Mr Goodyear.

• To: Dimitri De Alencar 4 Thanks, Dimitri... enjoyed several of your songs.

• @Igneous1 @achromus said:
    Yes Mister @Bluepunk, very well observed, we've been rumbled :blush:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/jazz-electric/id419380125

Gotcha....you lovely pair of Glimmering Gadget Garnishers you! :wink: The link takes me the the App Store but unfortunately nothing is appearing from the blue.

• @Bluepunk said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Typical. Get myself all psyched up for some early SOTMC listening, time put aside, pint mug of chili mint tea to sharpen the senses, and, bam, Soundcloud's down.

Yes, I've had a similar experience with Corals this evening. All my football bets have gone down.....big time. :weary: Chilli mint tea! Very smooth Mr Goodyear.

Grrr. Now my little mind's on the run. Recorded the Europa League game earlier and have avoided all news content providers (to avoid finding out the result). Guess I'm going to have to add this place to the list in future, UNLESS you're a Villareal fan......ah, well, off to watch the game. Can always fast forward I guess :)