Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - May 2016

Comments

• edited May 2016

Great entries so far! Here's mine

• @Bluepunk Good Tune. It kept me interested. I like the bit of humor at the end. It was just a fun song to listen to. Like the Cow Bell, you can never have to much tambourine.

• Haha awesome song @Bluepunk ! I love the tambourines and the dog bark! Sounds great!

• @gmslayton that song is too sweet! I bet your mother absolutely cherishes the song and video. Bravo!

• @TGiG said:

Yeah. Good. Started off thinking to myself "See, this is what you could do with that Different Drummer if you put your puerile mind to it", but soon got lost in some sci-fi Egyptian futurama set in the past. Has real gusto. Marching music for mummies and zombies and so forth. Nice mixing to these duff ears. Have been reading a fair bit about the aspects of the Ottoman Empire of late and I was reminded that in England English anyway the Fez is a commonly understood piece of headgear, whereas the Tarboosh (to most) is probably imagined to be some kind of aubergine burnt on a stick.

• @trackedout - Stone at i:
    Wonderful song! I feel like it's in slow motion and I like it! I especially enjoy the bass licks, the vocal harmonies, and the horns! Well done!

@theconnactic - Brilhante:
    I say this every month but man, I totally love your work! Do you have any albums for sell online? The GarageBand strings are a nice departure for what I've heard on SOTMC. Awesome!

@gburks - Conspiracy is Real:
    Ahh what a nice and fun song! Perfect for the summertime! I really enjoy it, thank you!

@crouchie - Soldier:
    Wow. This is by far my favorite track of yours. The music is tranquil and oh so good. Your vocals remind me of Sting on this song. They accompany the tunes perfectly. Perfection. Thank you.

@orchardman - Slow Dance:
    Wow this song is really great! I'm sure you hear this often but your vocals remind me of Stevie Nicks and I LOVE Stevie! And I love this song! Thanks you so much!

@Dounstar_ - RollMarch:
This song really thrilled me! I love all of it! Only thing is that I wish it was a bit longer, then again that might kill the craving for more. Song well done and thank you!

• @JohnnyGoodyear haha! First of all thank you! I, naturally, had to google aubergine. And I have to say, the Tarboosh you speak of sounds delicious...actually the song can be about an old rotten kabob if you just put your mind to it! :smiley:

• @TGiG it was actually for my wife and she absolutely loved it. She came out of the bedroom on Mother's Day crying happy tears after she heard it.

• @gmslayton said:
    @TGiG it was actually for my wife and she absolutely loved it. She came out of the bedroom on Mother's Day crying happy tears after she heard it.

Whoops, sorry. That's really cool man!

• @TGiG said:

@gmslayton said:
    @TGiG it was actually for my wife and she absolutely loved it. She came out of the bedroom on Mother's Day crying happy tears after she heard it.

Whoops, sorry. That's really cool man!

Zometimes, a cigar is just a cigar....

• @TGiG no worries man. My mom is awesome and definitely worth a song but if I had written one for her before my wife, my wife would have hung me up by my....you know. Hehe

• https://soundcloud.com/mptyofeverything>; @JohnnyGoodyear said:

CALL THE HARMONY POLICE!

Going soft on us Mister @Bluepunk. I nominate this genre Beach Boi or maybe that should be your stage name....hmmm....what I find remarkable about your stuff is that I completely believe you've got a band bashing away in the background there behind you.

I am going to have recuse myself from critically saying too much more (apart adding that the vox should have been higher in the mix, especially early in the song) because when I first met Mrs. Goodyear she had a boy Bichon (Clifford) and while I was of the 'no little dogs for me thanks very much' persuasion I had to keep a lid on it because I was after the owner etc. Long story short; I loved that dog. More personality than a sack full of sweet mad bastards.

If Sid wants at the tambourine, so be it.

Thanks Johnny. Yes the little bugger has the offending tin shaker tucked up beside him in his bed. That first part of the song was a thorn. Never felt right with the vocal level & I shouldn't have aired on the side of caution. I normally don't!

Glad you've experienced some "Bichon love" before. I too was sceptical of walkies with a couple of balls of extra fluffy cotton wool but when those eyes of his, (& hers) first looked up at their future dad, it touched my soul & home they came.

Clifford......such a cool name for a Bichon & one that no one could ever forget. Bless.
    Beach Boi also sounds cool for a genre name although my speedo days are long behind me now so a stage name change could be a bit......dangerous.....to the general public!
    Thanks again.

• @Bluepunk said:
    https://soundcloud.com/mptyofeverything>; @JohnnyGoodyear said:

CALL THE HARMONY POLICE!

Going soft on us Mister @Bluepunk. I nominate this genre Beach Boi or maybe that should be your stage name....hmmm....what I find remarkable about your stuff is that I completely believe you've got a band bashing away in the background there behind you.

I am going to have recuse myself from critically saying too much more (apart adding that the vox should have been higher in the mix, especially early in the song) because when I first met Mrs. Goodyear she had a boy Bichon (Clifford) and while I was of the 'no little dogs for me thanks very much' persuasion I had to keep a lid on it because I was after the owner etc. Long story short; I loved that dog. More personality than a sack full of sweet mad bastards.

If Sid wants at the tambourine, so be it.

Thanks Johnny. Yes the little bugger has the offending tin shaker tucked up beside him in his bed. That first part of the song was a thorn. Never felt right with the vocal level & I shouldn't have aired on the side of caution. I normally don't!

Glad you've experienced some "Bichon love" before. I too was sceptical of walkies with a couple of balls of extra fluffy cotton wool but when those eyes of his, (& hers) first looked up at their future dad, it touched my soul & home they came.

Clifford......such a cool name for a Bichon & one that no one could ever forget. Bless.
    Beach Boi also sounds cool for a genre name although my speedo days are long behind me now so a stage name change could be a bit......dangerous.....to the general public!
    Thanks again.

not sure what happened there....sorry!

• @gmslayton said:
    @Bluepunk Good Tune. It kept me interested. I like the bit of humor at the end. It was just a fun song to listen to. Like the Cow Bell, you can never have to much tambourine.

Thank you kindly & glad you enjoyed it. I'm with you on the Cow Bell but after this song, I think I'll give it a break with the tambo.......besides, Sid won't let me get the damn thing out of his bed!

• @TGiG said:
    Haha awesome song @Bluepunk ! I love the tambourines and the dog bark! Sounds great!

Thanks & another thumbs up for the tambourine. If this continues, I'm gunna find my old school recorder out & give "Frere Jacques" a good musical (ish) seeing to! :wink:

• Very good theme, @TGiG! I could totally imagine this song as an opening theme for an Indiana Jones-styled movie. Nicely done! The breakdown at 48'' and the subsequent FM piano (was that a DXi patch?) where particularly well-chosen. I also enjoyed the techno ending. Congratulations!

• @TGiG said:
    @theconnactic - Brilhante:
    I say this every month but man, I totally love your work! Do you have any albums for sell online? The GarageBand strings are a nice departure for what I've heard on SOTMC. Awesome!

Thank you so much for your review, @TGiG! In fact, I do have an album, but you can listen to in on Spotify, Deezer etc. For example, here's a link to my album on Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/2aA8615xM2SAgC5HpI5uiY?ref=wp

The strings in Garageband, as if with all its smart instruments btw, are awesome, and I definitely used them in a lot of songs. Garageband has the potential to dethrone even Auria Pro, if it becomes more open (full Audiobus compatibility for a start) and also when it get a proper mixer (I'm kind of skeptical of this one, since even GB for OSX falls short in this department).

All the best,
    Dimitri.

• @gmslayton Lovely tune to welcome in a relaxing Sunday morning. Can see & hear the passion & love you have for your wife in this performance. Think this is a very personal gift to give & has a lot more meaning than the usual Argos vouchers I tend to give. Nice music & great to have another singer on board.

I'd like to hear a full on production as well but for this kind of personal message I think you've nailed it playing as man & guitar. Stripped back so we can hear & understand the feelings coming through without bells & whistles to complicate your tuneful song. Sure she enjoyed your efforts & thanks for sharing it with us here. :smile:

• edited May 2016

Thank u @TGiG , v kind of you.

• @TGiG Excellent title. So far, this is the best that I've heard from your good self. Cleverly capturing the flavour of Egyptian music then skilfully adding some spicy electronica. The mixture is of the right consistency & if you could physically add your song to a Shisha pipe, I'm sure the hit felt would knock a camels hump off!

Dark, broody, threatening & exciting. The break at .50 allows us to come down & relax slightly before the sharpness returns. Good ending & it reminded me of a submarine stuck on the ocean floor without a rescue plan. Think the Captain was inhaling too much of your mix!

I enjoyed what your song did to my lazy senses. Woke them up & are now on the alert for more unique, challenging music........ Great, imaginative stuff. :smile:

• @Bluepunk said:
    Tried an (my) interpretation of "pop".......it's got a tambourine, so that'll do! Pushed myself & had a bash at singing.....in some parts. I've booked some beds in rehab for you! Struggled this month but got something out. Thanks for the inspiration doglets!

The song is about one of my two Bichons, the male Sid. Yep, the other is female & is unsurprisingly called Nancy.....what else. In real life, Sid is a deep, timid, beautiful old soul but in this song......he's not! I thought I'd twist it about & "Street wisen" him up a bit!

He asked to be involved in his song so I let him "bark out" any naughty words, (not entirely successful), play a bit of bass & his favourite......shaking the tambourine in the chorus. If you can stay with it till the bitter end, you'll understand why I'll keep him strictly on mixing duties from now on!

Oh. I'd better do the... "No animals took any illegal substances during the recording of this song" statement. Can't vouch for afterwards though cos I left him looking glassy eyed & hanging over a rather adorable Alsatian at the Dog n Duck late into the after song drinkypoos!

Are you going all soft on us @Bluepunk you will selling us butter next. Great tune, with a great riff about half way through. Only criticism would be to have the vocals higher in the mix. We want to hear those harmonies. Assume you will be doing something acoustic next month. Keep on rocking man.

• @TGiG said:

Cool track man, as others have already said it would work well as the theme for a 1970s style sci-fi/horror movie. The only criticism from me would be that after a great atmospheric intro the jump to the main theme is a little abrupt, just thought you could have built the tension a bit more.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @orchardman, her voice sounds beautiful. It's a lovely song, the lyrics are great. The one thing I would say is that, it starts out so ethereal an sweet, but when the drums come in, it's just too abrupt, too straight. I think it would be better served by more of a build to the complete instrumentation.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

• @richardyot said:
    @orchardman congratulations on a terrific song. Great melancholy melody coupled with a fantastic vocal delivery, I really love it. Love the guitar as well, gives a great counterpoint to the voice. I love the sadness of the song, it doesn't really sound like country music to me though, more like a classic ballad.

If I had my producer's hat on I would recommend cutting it down a bit, it's probably a minute or so too long. Love the ending though, when it goes down to just piano and vocal after the second guitar solo, makes a great outro.

I think the pitch correction is working, I didn't pick up on the artifacts that @crouchie heard, and the vocal sounds great. This song is definitely my new favourite of yours.

Thanks for the feedback I'm glad you enjoyed the song. We are still relatively new to recording vocals and getting the right effects chain is still a bit hit and miss although I'm with you and I couldn't hear any artic acts from the pitch correction either.

• @TGiG thanks for the feedback on our song, I'm glad you enjoyed it. My wife is very happy that you have compared her voice to Stevie's.

• @orchardman said:

@Bluepunk said:
    Tried an (my) interpretation of "pop".......it's got a tambourine, so that'll do! Pushed myself & had a bash at singing.....in some parts. I've booked some beds in rehab for you! Struggled this month but got something out. Thanks for the inspiration doglets!

The song is about one of my two Bichons, the male Sid. Yep, the other is female & is unsurprisingly called Nancy.....what else. In real life, Sid is a deep, timid, beautiful old soul but in this song......he's not! I thought I'd twist it about & "Street wisen" him up a bit!

He asked to be involved in his song so I let him "bark out" any naughty words, (not entirely successful), play a bit of bass & his favourite......shaking the tambourine in the chorus. If you can stay with it till the bitter end, you'll understand why I'll keep him strictly on mixing duties from now on!

Oh. I'd better do the... "No animals took any illegal substances during the recording of this song" statement. Can't vouch for afterwards though cos I left him looking glassy eyed & hanging over a rather adorable Alsatian at the Dog n Duck late into the after song drinkypoos!

Are you going all soft on us @Bluepunk you will selling us butter next. Great tune, with a great riff about half way through. Only criticism would be to have the vocals higher in the mix. We want to hear those harmonies. Assume you will be doing something acoustic next month. Keep on rocking man.

Thank you. Are you sure you'd like those attempted harmonies higher? They're still giving me nightmares & will continue to do so! I enjoyed singing & messing around with them but very time consuming because of the "oh no....not another take" issue that it created. I do feel sorry for the neighbours!
    As for an acoustic song......look out Ed Sheeran! :wink:

• edited May 2016

I need to catch up on my feedback. In the meantime my entry for the month:

Lyrics here

• Hi,
    this is my last track, made with samplr

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-LNUGKfGxfk

• @orchardman said:

@richardyot said:
    @orchardman congratulations on a terrific song. Great melancholy melody coupled with a fantastic vocal delivery, I really love it. Love the guitar as well, gives a great counterpoint to the voice. I love the sadness of the song, it doesn't really sound like country music to me though, more like a classic ballad.

If I had my producer's hat on I would recommend cutting it down a bit, it's probably a minute or so too long. Love the ending though, when it goes down to just piano and vocal after the second guitar solo, makes a great outro.

I think the pitch correction is working, I didn't pick up on the artifacts that @crouchie heard, and the vocal sounds great. This song is definitely my new favourite of yours.

Thanks for the feedback I'm glad you enjoyed the song. We are still relatively new to recording vocals and getting the right effects chain is still a bit hit and miss although I'm with you and I couldn't hear any artic acts from the pitch correction either.

Sorry, it's my lack of experience that makes me use the wrong words. If artefact is the wrong way to say it then what I'm referring to is the way that the pitch correction algorithm alters the sound of a singers voice. I have heard your partner sing on your previous tracks and there is a noticeable alteration to the timbre. She has a lovely voice and to my taste I prefer her voice unaltered. My own efforts are testament to me being happy to tolerate a bit of variable pitching... (ahem), but this is a taste thing, and i would rather that than the altered character (what I meant by artefact) that the pitch correction creates. But I stress this is simply a taste thing, and I read the comments suggesting you try it previously and it does definitely bring things in line.

Please remember I felt this was my favourite of yours and I only really have good things to say about you, the song and the singer. I'm just not a great fan of the pitch correction thing is all.

Cheers

P

• edited May 2016

@crouchie said:
    I'm just not a great fan of the pitch correction thing is all.

I have to say that I found the out-of-tuneness very distracting on some of the previous entries from @orchardman, because it took me out of the moment, and out-of-key singing is much more noticeable to the average listener than pitch correction.

(I've never heard you sing off-key @crouchie BTW.)

Anyway it's interesting to hear the other point of view, a lot of people say they don't like pitch correction but I would guess for most listeners it's probably better to have some relatively subtle pitch-fixing if it helps the vocal. It's one of those things like reverb that can cause a strong reaction/opinion either way.