Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there anything better than AudioStretch on iOS for slowing down audio for ambient audioscapes?

Comments

• @Audiojunkie said:
    I just found it. It's great! Check it out! Total crap, turned into something listenable! :wink:

That is awesome. Just saying.

• edited April 2016

@lukesleepwalker said:

That is awesome. Just saying.

must have been an awful long audiofile before he cut the best bits out of it
    3min pop X 800
    2400 min

but I like the idea
    I should process my boring stuff more

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Paul Stretch lets you play a clip up to 800 times slower.

According to http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/ you're underselling it. :)

* The "Stretch" mode - may stretch up to 10,000 times
    * The "HyperStretch" mode - may stretch up to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times (10^18)

Paul Stretch went viral when it turned a Justin Bieber song into something listenable. :wink:

Just to note, the youtube description of the JB video indicates it is "800% Slower", not 800 times. I'm still a little lost on the math of it all but I think that's the same as "8 times" slower (and it sounds like it).

• edited April 2016

Had to try it. Last 12 seconds of U smile, recorded at 400bpm in Loopy HD from my laptop speaker into the iPhone mic (I'm high-fi like that). Slowed it down to 50bpm (=800% slower), loaded into AUM with a LPF + Push + Dub + Space and... not bad for an app designed for looping and a decidedly lo-fi experiment, eh? Definitely not nearly as 'clean' as the paul stretch algorithm but it works. The digital distortion is me working quickly, not loopy. The LPF is in there to roll off some of the stretching artifacts.

Also also, there's a python implementation of the Paul Stretch algorithms. If you're feeling inspired, you might be able to find an iOS python interpreter to make it happen.

• Hmmm... I'll try to stretch a song to this degree with Auria's best algorithm to see how it goes...

• @syrupcore said:

Had to try it. Last 12 seconds of U smile, recorded at 400bpm in Loopy HD from my laptop speaker into the iPhone mic (I'm high-fi like that). Slowed it down to 50bpm (=800% slower), loaded into AUM with a LPF + Push + Dub + Space and... not bad for an app designed for looping and a decidedly lo-fi experiment, eh? Definitely not nearly as 'clean' as the paul stretch algorithm but it works. The digital distortion is me working quickly, not loopy. The LPF is in there to roll off some of the stretching artifacts.

Also also, there's a python implementation of the Paul Stretch algorithms. If you're feeling inspired, you might be able to find an iOS python interpreter to make it happen.

Nice.

• @syrupcore said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    Paul Stretch lets you play a clip up to 800 times slower.

According to http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/ you're underselling it. :)

* The "Stretch" mode - may stretch up to 10,000 times
    * The "HyperStretch" mode - may stretch up to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times (10^18)

Paul Stretch went viral when it turned a Justin Bieber song into something listenable. :wink:

Just to note, the youtube description of the JB video indicates it is "800% Slower", not 800 times. I'm still a little lost on the math of it all but I think that's the same as "8 times" slower (and it sounds like it).

Math was never my strong suit :wink:

• @Audiojunkie said:

@syrupcore said:

Math was never my strong suit :wink:

Heh. Just to be clear, I wasn't meaning to be pedantic about the math or anything. Only pointing it out so that if you're trying to look at feature lists to see if something will accomplish what you want, you're not turned off because it only does 16X instead of 800X!

And pointed out the numbers from the Paul Stretch site because you got me interested and holy wtf does 'stretch up to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times' even mean! :)

• @syrupcore said:

Nice...makes me think there's all sorts of potential out there for modifying bpm that is probably untapped. Sucks that I'm too lazy to tap it (waiting....), but I do enjoy listening to it!

• @syrupcore said:

awesome man. Great idea too!

• hey guys which is cleaner paul stretch or audio stretch on iOS?

• edited April 2016

Thanks ya'll but I didn't really do anything other than ape an idea. Thank @Michael!

Also, according to https://www.google.com/search?q=8000%+of+5, 400bpm is 8000% of 5bpm. :)

• The Paul stretch is a fantastic tool and even more so when you explore it further and delve into it's parameters. I find it's very dependent on the source material (transients sounds pretty harsh, for example)) and it can be very noticeable when it's used in it's default settings. It has become a bit of an 'ambient cliche' (as has the 'shimmer' effect)

Audiostretch is great too, but a different beast entirely, methinks.

• edited April 2016

If something is 100% slower then surely it has stopped ? For something to be 800% slower it must be going backwards at 7 times it's original forward speed ?

Where's Einstein when you need him ? :D

• edited April 2016

A long time ago in the early ’90s I was experimenting with Spectral synthesis and Granular synthesis on my Mac IIsi (which had built in 8-bit audio!) using highly scientific-looking programs that were downloaded from what was the Internet in those days. I can’t remember the names of the programs nor where they came from, but I put pieces of music together at the time using the results. From what I remember, it was those programs that introduced me to granular synthesis, but actually used spectral synthesis to do the time stretching. What it did was to use a FFT to derive ‘frequency tracks’ present in the source sound, allowing the parametric alteration of those tracks, such as moving them to different frequency domains, or in this case, simply alter the duration or length that those tracks will play or not play on, thus time stretching by ridiculous lengths.

https://app.box.com/s/hlbki2tl02sh5lfx5kyrks94qzbtgkpw

Jump to the chorus, at one minute and forty four seconds, and there’ll be radio ripping (that I never got cleared, hence don’t spread this around) that I time stretched, among other snippets. I think I did 8x or 16x (i.e., 1600%, as in “we’ve all got to give 1600%”) and despite the primitive audio it nevertheless did it quite convincingly (for 1994 that is). These days the spectral synthesis apps from Apesoft should be able to do this a lot better.

• Yeah a slow downer thats not geared toward syrup remix or novelty. A real useful one with pitch control as well. Sometimes you want the slow downer and pitch down, others not so much. I seek this kind of app as well.
    audiostrech and goo are good, i want more options tho! and hell mic input for literally live time warping haha. slow down time in real life too haha.

• I realise this thread is old, but just for reference... AudioStretch allows you to set the speed anywhere from zero speed to 10x normal speed in increments of 0.01x. Negative speeds are available as well. The +/- speed adjustment buttons change the speed in 5% (0.05x) increments, but for finer speed adjustments, you can drag left/right on the speed display. You can also play the audio at whatever speed you like by dragging the waveform.

• edited June 2017

@Audiojunkie said:
    I just found it. It's great! Check it out! Total crap, turned into something listenable! :wink:

I would not have believed it, without hearing the example. Astonishingly good....considering the source. If only Mr Stretch had an IOS app.

• this was audio stretch?

• edited June 2017

@kobamoto said:
    does anybody have Group the loop, is it possible to do syrupcore's idea with that app as well... ?

I have it but yesterday was a Solstice party (San Juan) and I get drunked. I can't understand what Syrupcode said translated into GTL :bawling:
    Could anyone explain it step by step so I can try to help... my brain thanks you in advance.
    :persevere:

• I just wanna know if audio stretch is the app used on that briber track?

• @kobamoto said:
    I just wanna know if audio stretch is the app used on that briber track?

>

No, I believe it was Paul Stretch.

hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

• ah yeah... been using Paul stretch for years :)
    haven't come across anything on iOS like that though

• @kobamoto said:
    I just wanna know if audio stretch is the app used on that briber track?

AudioStretch is good, not sure it's that good though. I use Paul Stretch on the PC (free) which might do the job.

• For ambient soundscapes Ipulsaret is your best friend. Load/import a sample and slowdown the speed (0,10 or lower) and adjust the grain lenght/duration (100ms and higher values works best) and adjust the density till you dont hear any stutters/grains anymore.

Natural high guaranteed. ;)

• I love this thread!

• @Proto said:
    For ambient soundscapes Ipulsaret is your best friend. Load/import a sample and slowdown the speed (0,10 or lower) and adjust the grain lenght/duration (100ms and higher values works best) and adjust the density till you dont hear any stutters/grains anymore.

Natural high guaranteed. ;)

Thanks for the tip.

• Analog tape. Luscious! ;)