Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - April 2016

Comments

• @rickwaugh said:
    @theconnactic, very fusion tune this month. Love the section where the distorted guitar comes in. Excellent mix as usual, and I really like the rhythmic breaks.

Thank you so much, @rickwaugh!

• Hey, @Bluepunk: just wow! great song indeed: nice drums and really excellent guitar work. Congrats!

Hello, @ion677: I tend to agree with @rickwaugh here: it's a great sketch of a song, with some really good keyboard parts and a nice beat. Hoping to see the finished song soon!

Nice song, @NoiseHorse, and it would really shine with more careful production work: keep lapidating this gem!

For now it's all, but I'll review all of your songs in due time.

All the best,
    Dimitri.

• edited April 2016

@funjunkie27 said:
    @theconnactic - Moco - Nice groove, nice mix, nice breaks, nice guitar work. Enjoyed the way you did the outro.

Thank you very much, @funjunkie27!

• @Bluepunk I've only dropped out of stealth mode to say what a stellar job you've done on this months tune! You've done such a great job with the music, and basically raised the bar for everyone else with the passion and integrity of your vocal performance. The guitar riff and rhythms are really top notch, love the variety and the shifts while keeping it all together as a song. My main criticism though is that the music, while it uses all the right sounds, feels a little, how can I say this? ..polite. Yeah I said it, sorry :wink: I'm only mentioning this because you have come so far over the few months you've joined in the SOTMC and I reckon you could turn this into something really special with a bit more excitement in the arrangement to match your brilliant vocals.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @mschenkel.it, also great sounds and texture, with more structure than carol, but not sure the disparate sections hang together well.

Thanks and I'm sure they don't hang together at all:D but in the process I spent a few days building a remix idea then I literally had just 3-4 hours before the deadline to concentrate on performance, and this was the result. This was the first take out of three which I chose to load up for how energetic was, compared to the other takes, when the "verse" starts for the first time.

• @Bluepunk I personally preferred the slower pace of your entry this month, made it sound less generic IMO, more personal. And the aggression builds up, and by the end it's pretty nasty :)

The way the story unfolds has Squeeze-like feel to it, which suits the slower pace.

Vocals are excellent as always, there's a very good singer behind that oikish accent. Guitar playing is good too (or app playing), and the thing that always stands out in your tracks is the tightness of the rhythm.

It's great to watch the evolution of your style, keep working at it.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @bluepunk, that's some good solid punk. Love the voice, the guitar, and the mix. It gets a bit repetitious in the end, could be shortened a bit.

Thanks Rick. I agree. It should be shortened by about 3 minutes 35 seconds! :wink: Cheers for listening & your kind words.

• edited April 2016

@Carol I thought there were some interesting sounds and textures in your piece, but for me a track that is as abstract as that one needs to be married to visuals - it would definitely make a very atmospheric soundtrack - but as a piece of music that needs to stand up on its own it needs more. Generally we listen to music for groove, melody, hooks, and it's difficult to sustain interest in pieces that rely on atmosphere and texture instead if there isn't some element of hookiness and interest to keep us (or me) listening.

• @theconnactic said:
    Hey, @Bluepunk: just wow! great song indeed: nice drums and really excellent guitar work. Congrats!

All the best,

Dimitri.

Thank you Dimitri. I'm striving to get that sweet spot in the guitar sound & after days/months of playing around with Guitarism & Amplitudes array of virtual amps, cabs, mics & their placement positions, it's beginning to take shape. Just got to remember to save the damn things as presets! Thanks also for all your input on the "Bass Thread" t'other week. Especially useful was your compression tips & they were used here. Cheers. :smiley:

• @Jocphone Hey man, how are you? Good to see you back on these shores. Stuff my song, I'm still patiently waiting for those monk vocals of yours to pleasure the lugs.....elephants don't forget etc...etc.
    Thank you for taking the time to pop by & take a listen. Also for noticing the "shifts." It's 4/4 but I tried to start/finish phrases on different beats/half beats to add some sort of variety to the structure. Totally messed with the vocals but that's exactly what appealed.
    Yep, polite is probably a result of the internal conflict I have when throwing this stuff together. Age, subject matter, swearing all, I think, have an influence. I try NOT to let this happen but it does tend to seep through into the final feel of things.
    Thanks again. Now, when are we going to hear some of your new delights. We miss you!

• edited April 2016

@richardyot said:
    @Carol I thought there were some interesting sounds and textures in your piece, but for me a track that is as abstract as that one needs to be married to visuals - it would definitely make a very atmospheric soundtrack - but as a piece of music that needs to stand up on its own it needs more. Generally we listen to music for groove, melody, hooks, and it's difficult to sustain interest in pieces that rely on atmosphere and texture instead if there isn't some element of hookiness and interest to keep us (or me) listening.

@rickwaugh said:
    @carol, great sounds and texture, but not my cup of tea. Kept waiting for something to happen. :smiley:

ok no problem , thanks for the feedback lol

• @richardyot Many thanks Richard. "More personal." I hadn't thought of that & is a phrase that I will take forward & try to remember when writing future songs. Thanks. Ah....Squeeze! I'm naughty cos I hijacked the "Give the dog a bone line." Sorry Mr Difford & Tilbrook. Cheers for the vocal compliments. I promise.......I am going to try to sing (properly?) at some point to see how it pans out.
    This is what really excites me about this Club. Where to go next musically. Because of the freedom of expression allowed, I suppose the answer is anywhere you want. Now that's a wonderful thing.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Congrats on reaching the semifinals. A quick game of Spot the difference. Champions League.........FA Cup......... :wink:

Thank you again. Must go practice my scales. Do, re, mi, fa, sol..........ah sod this! Coffee time!

• @Bluepunk said:
    Oh, I nearly forgot. Congrats on reaching the semifinals. A quick game of Spot the difference. Champions League.........FA Cup......... :wink:

You can gloat, once you've actually won it.

Three times.
    Amongst other Trebles.

• @Bluepunk said:
    @Jocphone Hey man, how are you? Good to see you back on these shores. Stuff my song, I'm still patiently waiting for those monk vocals of yours to pleasure the lugs.....elephants don't forget etc...etc.
    Thank you for taking the time to pop by & take a listen. Also for noticing the "shifts." It's 4/4 but I tried to start/finish phrases on different beats/half beats to add some sort of variety to the structure. Totally messed with the vocals but that's exactly what appealed.
    Yep, polite is probably a result of the internal conflict I have when throwing this stuff together. Age, subject matter, swearing all, I think, have an influence. I try NOT to let this happen but it does tend to seep through into the final feel of things.
    Thanks again. Now, when are we going to hear some of your new delights. We miss you!

I'm good Bluey, and you?.
    Been lurking and taking stuff in. So I haven't really been away but I'm just taking a break from churning my usual nonsense out. Taking stock, all that kinda business.

I really do think you did a great job this month. And by polite I didn't mean it should be necessarily noisier or louder, although they are good options :wink: It just felt the timing etc. was a bit perfect, need to figure out how to make it a bit less so. Not easy to feck things up with all these magic tools!

Thanks for the kind thought's too but I'm moving sideways a little, and there are a fair few life distractions, good and bad, at the moment, but it aint the last you've heard of me..

• @richardyot said:

@Bluepunk said:

You can gloat, once you've actually won it.

Three times.
    Amongst other Trebles.

Fair point & I will wind my neck back in an octave or two........until the evening of 28th May 2016. I've heard the sky's are a nice light shade of Blue in Milan in May............

• @Jocphone said:

@Bluepunk said:
    @Jocphone Hey man, how are you? Good to see you back on these shores. Stuff my song, I'm still patiently waiting for those monk vocals of yours to pleasure the lugs.....elephants don't forget etc...etc.

I'm good Bluey, and you?.
    Been lurking and taking stuff in. So I haven't really been away but I'm just taking a break from churning my usual nonsense out. Taking stock, all that kinda business.

I really do think you did a great job this month. And by polite I didn't mean it should be necessarily noisier or louder, although they are good options :wink: It just felt the timing etc. was a bit perfect, need to figure out how to make it a bit less so. Not easy to feck things up with all these magic tools!

Thanks for the kind thought's too but I'm moving sideways a little, and there are a fair few life distractions, good and bad, at the moment, but it aint the last you've heard of me..

Good, glad to hear that. Really looking forward to your triumphant return. I'm really well thank you. Bobbing & weaving as usual. Thanks again re the tune & I totally agree about the perfect thing. It was bugging me, when listening back, that on some lines the vocal delivery sounded like a robot/Dalek from the 70's. I've got to learn to deliver more naturally. Less forced & stubborn.........More free & spontaneous.

Ah life! Selfishly gets in the way of making music, although I find the bad shit does inspire me to write lyrics. I hope your "goods" far outweigh the bads me ol' mucker. Thanks again :smiley:

• @theconnactic I like the ethnic feel of the intro riff, and the synth that comes in at 1.25 is really great (could have done with more of it in fact, it's a really cool sound). The second half of the track loses me a little because it sounds like a jam rather than a song that is trying to take me places, but the playing is very tight as usual.

• @orchardman I think this one is my favourite SOTMC entry of yours to date, I like the fact it's a little bit weirder and more leftfield than your previous work. I like the abstract nature of the vocal and the processing on it, it gives it an otherworldly feel which is quite cool.

Subjectively I'm not too keen on the ethnic sounding male backing vocals that come in at the 3 minute mark just because they are probably a little cliched, but otherwise there's a lot of good stuff in there, lots of musical breaks, melodic ideas, and a great use of the female vocal.

If I was producing this my guidance would be less Enigma, and more Liz Fraser (Teardrop), if that makes sense.

• Thank you for the review, @richardyot!

• edited April 2016

Jesus, you people. I decided to stay out of this thread for the first half of the month because that would surely guarantee me lots of time to make a serious and meaningful musical contribution.

Not so much.

Ah well. Might as well review others if I can't make something myself.... :)

• edited April 2016

An early WIP track. Some glitches and other issues I know. Managed to squeeze some nice sounds out of Gadget plus a fair bit of automation and a little compression.

• @achromus liked that a lot. It's got a real nice vibe right from the start and keeps going right to the end. Great chill out for someone like me who is up way to early on a Saturday morning.

• @trackedout good song with some great riffs. I thought the production was a bit muddy, a little too much fuzz alongside the effects on the vocals. I wanted to here the guitar playing a bit more clearly.

• @ion677 nice keyboard playing but more of a doodle than a finished song

• @Bluepunk loved this one mate. The slower paced riff was great and the vocals were just right. If anything I would have brought in the ' let's have it' refrain a bit earlier and repeated it a few more times. One of my life's great regrets was that I was 15 going on 16 when punk broke in 1977 but I went right on listening to Yes and ELP.

• @NoiseHorse I liked that a lot. Loads going on but it all just seemed to gel together just right by the end. Nice vocal too.

• @orchardman said:
    @Bluepunk loved this one mate. The slower paced riff was great and the vocals were just right. If anything I would have brought in the ' let's have it' refrain a bit earlier and repeated it a few more times. One of my life's great regrets was that I was 15 going on 16 when punk broke in 1977 but I went right on listening to Yes and ELP.

Thanks very much @orchardman. Not only for your kind words but for turning the heat up on that beautiful yellow sun down here this morning!

Yep, I did toy with dropping that part in a tad more & take a verse out. I've got to be careful though as when I approach the 3 minute mark, my "Punk Time Alert" splits my ears & warns of approaching prog rock time mode. :wink:

I've got a monumental back catalogue of punk if you'd like to get into it now :smile:
    Cheers & enjoy the Sun.

• thank yo orchardman, i appreciate that. i will work on that . i am getting used to earphone mixing cause i lost my ns10s,