Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - April 2016

Comments

• @orchardman said:
    @carol a nice soundscape with some great textures but ultimately for me I kept waiting for just a hint more melody. Something eastern on that violin that was there in the background. Or it may just be that I'm being old fashioned.

No problem thanks for the feedback lol

@badrico said:

@carol said:
    here it is again lol

Wonderful !
    What a dream portal. So many textures and flavours rushing thru. Chilly, wild, raw, delicate, mad and tender all at once.
    The way the instruments come slowing more into focus as it nears conclusion is so compelling. As though they are materializing out of the very atmosphere they conjured.

Splendido .

Wow , what a fantastic piece of feedback , thank you very much !! Like your track too , great feel with the dub vibe :))

@orchardman said:
    Busy on here already this month,

This one started life as a rock instrumental I did at the back end of last year. We've chopped it up, mixed in some loops from Blockswave, added a few more synths and some vocals. Not really folky this month, more ambient , trance, metal(ish).

I like it , nice groove with the drums , bass , and synth arps and really love the vocals :))

• @orchardman said:
    @theconnactic I wasn't sure about this one at the start but from when the Jazz rock guitars come in I really liked it. Excellently played and produced. I would love to here you play something more rock orientated.

Thank you, @orchardman, and noted!

@badrico said:

@theconnactic said:
    "Mocó" is the name of a large rodent that grows in dry places, such as the Caatinga

Hey I think the Moco be very pleased to star in a film with this as the soundtrack. I could imagine the Moco having a very swank penthouse apartment and many glamorous and somewhat decadent associates enjoying warm breezes on the terrace while " Moco " plays in the background. I especially enjoy the the kind of swirly scifi thing that wiggles out of parts of the guitar solo. Oh a the flute is delightful - and would perfect for when the dude moco makes prolonged eye contact with the mysterious gypsy moco.

Cheers, b

It's a nice idea for a music video indeed. Thank you for the review, @badrico!

@Bluepunk said:
    @theconnactic Large rodent! Just the thought sends shivers deep down inside...yuksville!
    Just glad your track was light & airy & didn't have any tail swishing noises! Another well played, mixed piece (as always). Of course, the section 1.00 to 1.45 set the ears to nasty sound alert. Great playing there Dimitri, keeping tight to the differently timed accents. Very cool & tricky I'd imagine. The ride cymbal sounds wonderful & can really hear the crisp attack follow by a lovely wash at 1.20.
    Do you have any plans to sing on your tunes? Think it could push your stuff even higher up the ladder. Please.....just don't let those Moco things out of the country.
    Large Rodent!!!......I'm off to set the bear traps just in case! :smile:

Don't worry: mocós are big but utterly coward: not without reason, "mocó" is also used as slang (a rather old slang) for "hideout". Thank you for the review, @Bluepunk!

• @theconnactic said:

@orchardman said:
    @theconnactic I wasn't sure about this one at the start but from when the Jazz rock guitars come in I really liked it. Excellently played and produced. I would love to here you play something more rock orientated.

Thank you, @orchardman, and noted!

@badrico said:

@theconnactic said:
    "Mocó" is the name of a large rodent that grows in dry places, such as the Caatinga

Hey I think the Moco be very pleased to star in a film with this as the soundtrack. I could imagine the Moco having a very swank penthouse apartment and many glamorous and somewhat decadent associates enjoying warm breezes on the terrace while " Moco " plays in the background. I especially enjoy the the kind of swirly scifi thing that wiggles out of parts of the guitar solo. Oh a the flute is delightful - and would perfect for when the dude moco makes prolonged eye contact with the mysterious gypsy moco.

Cheers, b

It's a nice idea for a music video indeed. Thank you for the review, @badrico!

@Bluepunk said:
    @theconnactic Large rodent! Just the thought sends shivers deep down inside...yuksville!
    Just glad your track was light & airy & didn't have any tail swishing noises! Another well played, mixed piece (as always). Of course, the section 1.00 to 1.45 set the ears to nasty sound alert. Great playing there Dimitri, keeping tight to the differently timed accents. Very cool & tricky I'd imagine. The ride cymbal sounds wonderful & can really hear the crisp attack follow by a lovely wash at 1.20.
    Do you have any plans to sing on your tunes? Think it could push your stuff even higher up the ladder. Please.....just don't let those Moco things out of the country.
    Large Rodent!!!......I'm off to set the bear traps just in case! :smile:

Don't worry: mocós are big but utterly coward: not without reason, "mocó" is also used as slang (a rather old slang) for "hideout". Thank you for the review, @Bluepunk!

Not as utterly as me! So, if petrified of "Moco's, one could seek safety in a "Moco?" Save me a seat please. :wink:

• What the heck...I'll throw my hat in the ring in the hopes I can learn something. I'll even start it off...I think more changes are needed, it's not a full song, and there aren't any vocals, but I'd love to hear you guys pick it apart even further..

• @funjunkie27
    All in all I find it a good starting point. As you already stated, it needs some little movement, maybe some subtle automated filtering(I usually prefer filtering over volume but that's up to you actually)specially on the high keys hits.
    Moreover there is room for a slower pace when introing the different parts.

• Thanks @mschenkel.it . A slower pace is a good point, as it seems rushed.

I'll try to provide feedback on others' compositions by this weekend.

• @badrico Great title & if that bathing fashion includes Speedos, let's take them....to the incinerator immediately please! A pleasant, happy jaunty song that weaves between a folky rhythm & a Spanishy melody. It reminds me so much of a song that was always there, in our faces/ears/skin whilst picking fruit in Andalusia. Same as Crony, enjoyed the bit from 2.35. The brass in this section sounds warming, dynamic & convincing. Nicely played sir. I'd love to hear some vocals just to add a bit of spice to the gin & poultry. :wink:

• Updated the front page and the SoundCloud, and I see that I'm already waaayyy behind on giving feedback.

• @Bluepunk Very glad to hear you got some warm Andalusian breezes blowing thru. Yup, I agree that brass gets happier as it warms up... much like we humans.
    cheers rico

• @orchardman Your "cutting up" knife skills are sharp & effective sir. Think you've described it well. I can kinda still get a folky flavour looking in & that blend the styles together & I really like it. The bass riff is hooky & keeps the flow throughout your tune. What did you use for the acoustic snare drum? Quite meaty. Nice, unexpected breaks at 1.30 & 3.0. Effective, different & cool. The solo sounds almost oriental followed by that crunchy, unmistakable rock riff. What contrasted the riff beautifully was those "la, la, la" vocals.
    Clever mix of vocal styles/effects & again, so well sung by your good lady. Great stuff. Lets hope your uncanny gift of lifting the sunshine levels works again this month. :smiley:
    I have faith!

• @carol said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@carol said:
    here it is again lol

Wonderful. Despite being almost 8 minutes it managed to keep my attention high. For my personal tastes is just missing some low end in the sub area so it could be even more catchy.

Not sure I was going for catchy but thanks mschenkel.it lo ! It was all captured live using aum , so I might edit it down and add some bass notes on there as you suggested . Like yours too , be nice to know what you used on the track :)) Like your other tracks too , ' Bend the Bender ' is excellent and reminds me a bit of Mouse on Mars

@carol I really enjoyed your song. I'd love to know more about your set-up - specifically more about how you captured this live in AUM. Did you plan all of the tracks out in advance and control everything with a hardware controller? I have been experimenting with a similar style of music and the best I've been able to pull off is overdubbing one track at a time, which is OK but takes away some of the improvisational feel. I'm guessing a big part of my problem is that I am confined to an iPhone 6 and don't currently have any external controller.

• edited April 2016

@gleandibson said:

@carol said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@carol said:
    here it is again lol

Wonderful. Despite being almost 8 minutes it managed to keep my attention high. For my personal tastes is just missing some low end in the sub area so it could be even more catchy.

Not sure I was going for catchy but thanks mschenkel.it lo ! It was all captured live using aum , so I might edit it down and add some bass notes on there as you suggested . Like yours too , be nice to know what you used on the track :)) Like your other tracks too , ' Bend the Bender ' is excellent and reminds me a bit of Mouse on Mars

@carol I really enjoyed your song. I'd love to know more about your set-up - specifically more about how you captured this live in AUM. Did you plan all of the tracks out in advance and control everything with a hardware controller? I have been experimenting with a similar style of music and the best I've been able to pull off is overdubbing one track at a time, which is OK but takes away some of the improvisational feel. I'm guessing a big part of my problem is that I am confined to an iPhone 6 and don't currently have any external controller.

Hey thank you ! Difficult to remember exactly what I used on this track as I start with one of the custom presets Ive created in aum , but then usually change it a bit for the performance and dont save the settings . I think though it probably included mitosynth or DRC , ivcs3 , idensity , soundscaper and fingerfiddle ( my first attempts at using this ) . Id wanted to include fieldscaper as well but for some reason it wouldnt load . I havent got an external controller so everything was played live either via the apps themselves or the aum keyboard . I split the instruments into a few bus channels routed through fx such as frekvens ( love it ) , muckraker and the aum dub/space apps . All then channeled into a final mixdown bus and recorded live straight into audioshare .

I like to record live and improvise , though this can be hit and miss and I have a lot of unused recordings on my ipad ! At some point Id like to get cubasis or auria and mix some of my other attempts together lol .

I dont have a newer iphone so cant really use it to make music , but I cant reccommend aum highly enough , it allows me to work in a way thats natural to me , much more fun than laying down individual tracks and i love the unpredictability of the results . :))

• edited April 2016

Hello all, hope all good. This is my latest. Bits I'm happy with, bits I'm less so. A touch busy in places which I think made my life harder when trying to mix the vocal, and I find that hard enough at the best of times. I get about an hour a month to do the vocals and so what gets recorded gets included, so there are some patchy areas that I studiously ignore ;-)

Your advice is greatly appreciated as always. Now to get to reviewing...

• @carol said:
    here it is again lol

Really interesting soundscape, would really like to see how the whole live set up works. I have AUM, Modstep etc etc and feel more than faintly embarrassed that I don't really do anything with them. It builds very nicely and is v clever. It's not a style I'm overly keen on but this does have real depth and I did get swept along with it. Good work.

• @mschenkel.it said:
    This is a little remix I made in a few days last month for Novation's Remix this competition. A lots of errors but the deadline was there so here it is

I really enjoyed this. Nicely layered, wish I could get that lovely spaced-out groove going in one of mine. Love that jittering pad that builds from 2 mins. Shaker a bit overpowering. Never spent any time with Novation and don't have the IAP to load own samples, strange cos I seem to buy bloody everything else. May check it out. Great remix.

• edited April 2016

@theconnactic said:
    Hello, my friends!

"Mocó" is the name of a large rodent that grows in dry places, such as the Caatinga of the northeastern Brazil, where it's sometimes hunted for food.

I started the song in Garageband, using mostly its built-in synths, and an old toy cithara for the first presentation of the main theme. Then I moved all audio to Auria, recorded bass and guitars, mixed amd mastered.

Dimitri.

Definitely enjoyed this one more. I like the little melody, your arrangement and playing is great, but this has a little bit of quirkiness that's really enjoyed. Great stuff

• @crouchie said:

@theconnactic said:
    Hello, my friends!

"Mocó" is the name of a large rodent that grows in dry places, such as the Caatinga of the northeastern Brazil, where it's sometimes hunted for food.

I started the song in Garageband, using mostly its built-in synths, and an old toy cithara for the first presentation of the main theme. Then I moved all audio to Auria, recorded bass and guitars, mixed amd mastered.

Dimitri.

Definitely enjoyed this one more. I like the little melody, your arrangement and playing is great, but this has a little bit of quirkiness that's really enjoyed. Great stuff

Thank you very much, @crouchie!

• @crouchie said:

Hello all, hope all good. This is my latest. Bits I'm happy with, bits I'm less so. A touch busy in places which I think made my life harder when trying to mix the vocal, and I find that hard enough at the best of times. I get about an hour a month to do the vocals and so what gets recorded gets included, so there are some patchy areas that I studiously ignore ;-)

Loving it. Has some reznorish feel I really like. Let that delay fade out at the very end, don't kill it.

• edited April 2016

@rich>; @crouchie said:

Yeehaa ! You've reached a new level with this one ! Very efficient, not overcharged with sounds ! The mix is very clean, stereo, levels etc...
    Love the kick quite old school, and some sounds reminds me SH 101 from these parties...
    Breaks are also very neat. I can hear that you really like TB 303 acid bass lines, and loving it !
    Just the ending of the track needs a bit of silence in the end ! I know very small problem...
    Also, I'm not crazy of the mic you're using for your voice, the signal is not warm and clean enough, to me.
    Would kill to remix it, but I have some of your voice to work on actually... :dizzy:

• @mschenkel.it said:

@crouchie said:

Loving it. Has some reznorish feel I really like. Let that delay fade out at the very end, don't kill it.

Thank you. Auria cut the effects tail at the mix down and I didn't notice until I'd posted it. Never mind! And yes, there's a definite Reznor influence in there. Survivalism I reckon

• @crony said:
    @rich>; @crouchie said:

Yeehaa ! You've reached a new level with this one ! Very efficient, not overcharged with sounds ! The mix is very clean, stereo, levels etc...
    Love the kick quite old school, and some sounds reminds me SH 101 from these parties...
    Breaks are also very neat. I can hear that you really like TB 303 acid bass lines, and loving it !
    Just the ending of the track needs a bit of silence in the end ! I know very small problem...
    Also, I'm not crazy of the mic you're using for your voice, the signal is not warm and clean enough, to me.
    Would kill to remix it, but I have some of your voice to work on actually... :dizzy:

Thanks Nico, glad u liked it. It came together better than I thought and I had to do a lot of juggling to stop the sounds crowding each other out. I have a nice mic but it is too sensitive and I just don't have the brains to getting working properly. Mixing vocals is bloody hard anyway I reckon

• @crouchie said:

@carol said:
    here it is again lol

Really interesting soundscape, would really like to see how the whole live set up works. I have AUM, Modstep etc etc and feel more than faintly embarrassed that I don't really do anything with them. It builds very nicely and is v clever. It's not a style I'm overly keen on but this does have real depth and I did get swept along with it. Good work.

Thank you :)) aum is great for live jams and soundscapes , but its also useful for controlling a stack of synths at once via its built in keyboard . I use it that way sometimes for fattening up my synth parts when recording into garageband

• @Richtowns nice to hear some reggae on here & well done on your first foray into it. @badrico description of "ganja on helium" is brilliant & apt. Because you're asking, to reggaefy even more I agree with @orchardman to add that off beat stab guitar. Or change the melody accent you have already. For example the da, dada, da, dada at 0.35 to 0.45 from the beat to the off beat. Depends on your vision though. Stereotypical reggae or your own interpretation of it.
    Maybe add echo on some of the rhythm parts like on the vocals. There's lots of experience on here & I'm sure other, more talented folk will be able to assist you in a more professional manner. I like that break at 2.05 & those 3 chords. Spacey, empty feel to them. Good luck with finishing your tune & it will be interesting to see how it ends up. :smile:

• edited April 2016

@crouchie
    I liked the tune and the song. A professional production, nice sounds and mixed well. Your voice sounds a bit Damen Alban or even Suggs (London accent!) so thats a good start. Also the chorus/echo of your voice worked really well. Is that an effect or did you overdub? Lyrics are good, Im enthusiastic about doing a bit of lyrics and singing myself after all these great example. The combination reminded me of HardFi or like a remix of a 2tone, rude boy, scar original. I love all the 303 sounds at the end and the unusual industrial sounds of the song. The last 10 seconds had a little clip of your filtered echoed voice and I realised I would have liked to hear this a bit more in the last 1 minute to combine well with all that great 303 madness

@funjunkie
    I was reminded of 'smokers delight'. Slow down the tempo and add a fat bass and yourve got a Mo Wax classic! Id also like to see this working with vocals. Nice layering of some interesting sounds with enough variation to keep it interesting. How many synths are playing at the same time here, Im curious? I like hearing songs that don't rely so much on percussion. You have a snare and then just a hint of hats. I could only just detect a little shuffle with the hats, maybe they could be a little more prominent in the mix!

• Thanks for the feedback @Richtowns . Not familiar with Smokers Delight, so I'll give that a listen. Agreed on the hats being buried. The only synth is ISEM as an AU within AUM, and Fugue. The drums were from Drum Perfect Pro. Different Drummer was driving ISEM on 2-3 different channels (don't recall the exact config.) I'd love to figure out some lyrics and see what can be done with vocals.

• @badrico
    I cheated with the vocals, what I need is the oposite of helium then Ill do some reggae lyrics myself ill try to add my own a la 'mickey mouse sings reggae'. Maybe ganja will do the trick!
    @theconnact
    Im going to research this and take it on board. My logical next step was to add some agosto pablo flute but Ill try some guitar as suggested and see what happens.
    @bluepunk
    Youll be hearing more reggae from me! Thanks for the tips. I will be looking into adding more delay. I wanted to try and make something typical to start with and then take it down a heavy dub route, so more effects and delay were always on the cards. I get stuck at this point usually and being here on the SOTM show will hopefully give me the energy to push on through

• @Richtowns said:
    @Bluepunk
    I liked the tune and the song. A professional production, nice sounds and mixed well. Your voice sounds a bit Damen Alban or even Suggs (London accent!) so thats a good start. Also the chorus/echo of your voice worked really well. Is that an effect or did you overdub? Lyrics are good, Im enthusiastic about doing a bit of lyrics and singing myself after all these great example. The combination reminded me of HardFi or like a remix of a 2tone, rude boy, scar original. I love all the 303 sounds at the end and the unusual industrial sounds of the song. The last 10 seconds had a little clip of your filtered echoed voice and I realised I would have liked to hear this a bit more in the last 1 minute to combine well with all that great 303 madness

Hi @Richtowns Think this was @crouchie tune. Don't want him to miss all your positive feedback.

• @Bluepunk
    Thanks, edited.

• @Richtowns said:
    @crouchie

@funjunkie
    I was reminded of 'smokers delight'. Slow down the tempo and add a fat bass and yourve got a Mo Wax classic! Id also like to see this working with vocals. Nice layering of some interesting sounds with enough variation to keep it interesting. How many synths are playing at the same time here, Im curious? I like hearing songs that don't rely so much on percussion. You have a snare and then just a hint of hats. I could only just detect a little shuffle with the hats, maybe they could be a little more prominent in the mix!

Thanks for your comment, v kind. The vocals in the verse (not my finest effort, but all done first take) are just put through the Vinyl Saturator preset in Saturn (with the drive cranked up a bit) just to make them a bit grittier, and in a vain attempt to get the to blend into the mix a bit better. The chorus is almost completely dry with a tiny bit of reverb. The filtered vocal in the end is just a bit of chorus effect on Timeless, and I agree that it sounds q nice. If I ever went back to this I would probably make more use of it. Thanks again.

• @badrico said:
    howdy folks,

heres some music for gin and chickens.
    firo, ispark, gadget and aum the main culprits on this trip.

cheers, badrico

I like this @badrico , takes me back to listening to Lemonjelly, which is always a happy place. Fits with the cover art and theme. I echo the comment from @crony about the brass, but I liked the development and variation throughout. It kept true to the theme and I've enjoyed a few listens. Good stuff, well done