Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom2 for Dummies

Comments

• @xor Great! Thanks as always for your answer I’ll give it a shot today.
    I do want to run something modular like Cykle next to Atom2. All the buds are out of the picture? Is there any sense in waiting for an update, writing Cem for them to be able to run with Atom2 , or vice versa?
    I enjoy the sliders on Stepbud to make a tune tune quickly in the phone, I was planning to get into snakebud, do you reckon it has the same hangup?

• @_smund said:
    @xor Great! Thanks as always for your answer I’ll give it a shot today.
    I do want to run something modular like Cykle next to Atom2. All the buds are out of the picture? Is there any sense in waiting for an update, writing Cem for them to be able to run with Atom2 , or vice versa?
    I enjoy the sliders on Stepbud to make a tune tune quickly in the phone, I was planning to get into snakebud, do you reckon it has the same hangup?

I believe the developer is working on the Bud apps midi timing.

• Is there a trick I can make with Stepbud to use it cooperatively with Atom2? I hope Cem tackles it, his apps are cool and are wonderful to add colors to everything, and to be able to easily knick knack in modulas is equivalent to having a playground:Essential

• @_smund said:
    Is there a trick I can make with Stepbud to use it cooperatively with Atom2? I hope Cem tackles it, his apps are cool and are wonderful to add colors to everything, and to be able to easily knick knack in modulas is equivalent to having a playground:Essential

Have you tried it yourself? There’s always a chance that it works ok for your use case or that you can find an acceptable workaround.

• edited July 2021

The higher your buffer setting, the worse stepbud's MIDI timing will be. This is the same for all bud plugins, and Helium too. Cem Olcay has already acknowledged here on this forum that there is a problem with the MIDI timing calculations in his apps (see bottom of this post).

Unfortunately, as @xor has already expertly explained here and elsewhere, none of the 'bud' plugins -- including the recently released SnakeBud -- compensates for the user's buffer size, so MIDI notes will be forced to align with the start of the nearest buffer frame, forcing all MIDI contained in that frame to be shunted to the start of the frame, usually resulting in notes that can be as much as 21ms early (depending on buffer size). This means the higher your buffer settings, the more jittery and unreliable the timing of MIDI notes from the bud and Helium apps becomes.

Atom2, on the other hand, fully compensates for all buffer settings, and correctly uses the MIDI offset feature to ensure MIDI notes are repositioned inside the buffer window so they always trigger with (the equivalent of) sample-accurate timing.

(please correct me if I got any of the technical details wrong)

Here is a - deliberately exaggerated - attempt to illustrate this ‘clumping of MIDI notes at the start of buffer frames' in diagram form...

Note - the diagram above is deliberately exaggerated to illustrate the point because even at 2048 buffer the size is each buffer frame (shown here as grey boxes) is actually much shorter than in my diagram. But the principle still applies. MIDI plugins that fail to use the MIDI Offset feature will always trigger your MIDI notes in clusters at the start of each new buffer window.

--

• Hey folks….. so I am sorry if I can’t find this or figure it out…. I am trying to move over from AUM to Cubasis for some projects. I am struggling to get some things going in Atom within Cubasis.
    How do I get Atom2 to trigger at a specific bar in Cubasis (see screenshot).
    I have a magic keyboard and I love how Cubasis integrates the use of it, so I can work on a melody and stop go back play rinse repeat. I am having trouble also that I can’t copy or clone notes when atom is playing. I want to keep it all going when I have the melody in my head. Plz help/suggestions. I have read the manual and even though it’s fantastic and beautiful…. I’m lost.

• There are a few ways of doing this. What I would do is set it to Hold mode then pick a “launch note”. Draw this launch note in the Cubasis timeline to match the length of the Atom piece, making sure the octave numbers match up between Atom and Cubasis. Also make sure that Atom is not passing the incoming note through (click top left of the Atom interface to access the menu), otherwise you will end up with a drone playing with the notes of your piece.

• @MisplacedDevelopment thx…. Where do I pick the launch note to trigger that?

• edited July 2021

I would take a screen cap for you but my AUs have all gone AWOL again. In your photo the setting is just to the left of the “START AT NOTE ON” tickbox. Set HOLD mode then set that to any note and then make sure the same note is played by Cubasis.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I would take a screen cap for you but my AUs have all gone AWOL again. In your photo the setting is just to the left of the “START AT NOTE ON” tickbox. Set HOLD mode then set that to any note and then make sure the same note is played by Cubasis.

Yes sorry found that. No matter what I try even at different octaves I can’t get it to trigger properly at the right time in Cubasis….

• Never mind. Figured it out. THANKS!!!!!!

• edited July 2021

Hey guys, I’ve got a problem you might be able to help me with.

I’m trying to record automation for a 303 bassline in troublemaker within AUM. Got knobs mapped from Korg nanoKey Studio to troublemaker’s knobs, midi source in AUM and Atom routed to receive Korg nanokey. I hit record on the clip, move the knobs to change the sound, but no automation records and keeps on playing from just the clip. Am I missing something?

Help!

• @Tripovich said:

I’m trying to record automation for a 303 bassline in troublemaker within AUM. Got knobs mapped from Korg nanoKey Studio to troublemaker’s knobs, midi source in AUM and Atom routed to receive Korg nanokey. I hit record on the clip, move the knobs to change the sound, but no automation records and keeps on playing from just the clip. Am I missing something?

Help!

Use a MIDI monitor in between your Nanokey and Atom and another to look at Atom's output to make sure that Atom is receiving the CCs -- and also to see if Atom is sending out ccs (as it might be sending them but for some reason the CC output isn't being directed to the correct destination).

• @Tripovich said:

Help!

Route the nanokey to atom and atom to troublemaker.

• @xor said:

@Tripovich said:

Help!

Route the nanokey to atom and atom to troublemaker.

Legend! All works now! Thanks for explaining it. I routed the korg and atom to troublemaker separately!

• Hi
    Excuse the crosspost, I just thought the heading of this thread speaks to me…

So I bought a launchpad mini mk3.
    But now I found out that you can not toggle record arm for the currently active clip on the Mini…

THe important bit is that the single button on the launchpads X and Pro intelligently selects the currently active clip, otherwise I would have to learn „record arm“ individually for every clip in AUM.

Is there a MIDI cc address for the missing „record arm“ button that I can use with another of my controllers, so it is still only one button needed?

Thank you

• Hi @critha - I answered in the other thread...

• Thank you!

• edited June 2022

Is it possible to record as many bars as I need or I always have to specify the number of bars
    I also have to set the markers is it possible to record like helium no predefined number of bars
    Thank you !!!!!

• @dalton34gr said:
    Is it possible to record as many bars as I need or I always have to specify the number of bars
    I also have to set the markers is it possible to record like helium no predefined number of bars
    Thank you !!!!!

You have to define the number of bars. But you can make that a large number of bars, then just loop the portion you need after recording. Saving the empty pattern as a preset gets you up and going fast.

• @wim said:

@dalton34gr said:
    Thank you !!!!!

You have to define the number of bars. But you can make that a large number of bars, then just loop the portion you need after recording. Saving the empty pattern as a preset gets you up and going fast.

Thank you for the reply !!!!!!!

• Could anyone share a link to the latest version of the Atom2 manual? I think the one I have is a bit old.

Also, could anyone remind me whether it is possible to make custom scales or import scala files?

Thnx!

• Found the manual - from a quick once over it seems there are no custom scale options?

tinyurl.com/Atom2PrintMan

This is supposed to be the printable version, but for some reason my iPad will neither let me print it nor download to Books. I wonder if this is an iOS bug of some kind - I had a similar problem with another pdf a few days ago

• No scala import either it seems, bit of a bummer

• @Gavinski said:
    Found the manual - from a quick once over it seems there are no custom scale options?

tinyurl.com/Atom2PrintMan

This is supposed to be the printable version, but for some reason my iPad will neither let me print it nor download to Books. I wonder if this is an iOS bug of some kind - I had a similar problem with another pdf a few days ago

Test this PDF-file instead…

• @Gavinski said:
    No scala import either it seems, bit of a bummer

Scala is primarily for microtonality and custom tunings...it doesn't seem relevant to a MIDI sequencer...how would a midi sequencer be able to make use of scala files?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:
    No scala import either it seems, bit of a bummer

Scala is primarily for microtonality and custom tunings...it doesn't seem relevant to a MIDI sequencer...how would a midi sequencer be able to make use of scala files?

I always thought it could be used for both tunings and scales? Think I remember that that was the recommended procedure for adding more scales to Fundamental by SonicLAB. So if it is not Scala then what do people use to add custom scales?

Either way, Atom2 should ideally have a system for custom scales.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

The only way MIDI can be used for micro tuned scales is by sending a note plus pitch-bend for every note. The target synth pitch bend range would have to match the sequencer's or the tuning would be off.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

Someone tried microtonal scale tuning with MIDI note+pitch bend in a Mozaic script. I never tried it myself. Sorry, OT I know - I just needed to get that outta my brain. https://patchstorage.com/microtonal-maker/

• Here are links to both versions of the manual via my Dropbox…

Atom2 Manual (full colour)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7mgazv94ls1myz/Atom2-Manual.pdf?dl=0

Atom2 Manual (reduced colour/print version)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/02q2jj1wnuqxdfd/Atom2-Manual-Print.pdf?dl=0

——
    Mentions: @Gavinski