Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What audio interface are 2020 IPad Pro users using?

Comments

• I finally received my ES9 this week for using my iPad with my hardware synths and modular.

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/es9.html

• Randomly found a MOTU M4 at a local music store yesterday. They also had an M2. I grabbed that M4 so quick lol. Have a pair of Presonus Eris E3.5 coming in the mail Monday. So stoked! Next month I'll be grabbing a guitar. Almost have my studio complete!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Don’t go blind on usb c. You will lose the port. Get the apple usb multi adapter to connect power and any ubs a hub. Then connect any class compiant ubs a audio interface to that. It is multi port heaven. I connect multiple synths and a scarlett 8i6 interface that way and still have the iPad pro 2018 powered up.

• edited September 2020

@ipadbeatmaking So let me ask a quick question. If i have an iPad connected to an Audio Interface which offers spidif out and send that to another Audio interface connected to a laptop with Spidif IN, will my audio outs from the iPad be sent as separate channels to my laptop?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks 👊🏼™️

• I just ordered a 828es... look fwd to it. And also a Coleman Audio Ls3 switch...so I can use both my iMac and iPad with one pair of monitors .> @joniqwest said:

MOTU 828 ES iPad Pro 2018 ( MOTU makes amazing interfaces ) I was looking for M4 but they were out of stock decided to go all out and step up the 828ES. In my opinion is in the same league with Apogee, UAD, Steinberg. iPad sees all inputs and outputs sound is clear and the unit is (QUIET) have it connected to ADAMs

OOPS just saw realized OP wanted for 2020 models, should be no difference in performance 2018 models

• @Sergiu said:
    I just ordered a 828es... look fwd to it. And also a Coleman Audio Ls3 switch...so I can use both my iMac and iPad with one pair of monitors .>

Great ! Please post when you get it. I am going to look into the Coleman audio switch though at the rate things are going the iPad is replacing my MacBook Pro for audio production and recording.

• @echoopera said:
    @ipadbeatmaking So let me ask a quick question. If i have an iPad connected to an Audio Interface which offers spidif out and send that to another Audio interface connected to a laptop with Spidif IN, will my audio outs from the iPad be sent as separate channels to my laptop?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks 👊🏼™️

Hmmm. I’m trying to understand but I’m almost sure it comes down to the routing. Spidif I believe is two lanes of audio (stereo) L/R so if you go out of the daw to it’s (Spidif’s) specific channel(s) (say output 3-4, for instance) of the interface that should route it thru the spidif and into your other interface attached to the computer (say input 3-4) then you should be all set to have that input registered on your computer daw. Just make sure to keep sample rates consistent and you should be all good. I’m running a similar set up now with 2 interfaces with one assign to iPad and one for MacBook but I’m using analog cables to route between them instead of digital. Should be the same though.

Hope I answered your question

• The only thing that keeps me using iMac with Live is the push-ableton integration> @joniqwest said:

@Sergiu said:
    I just ordered a 828es... look fwd to it. And also a Coleman Audio Ls3 switch...so I can use both my iMac and iPad with one pair of monitors .>

Great ! Please post when you get it. I am going to look into the Coleman audio switch though at the rate things are going the iPad is replacing my MacBook Pro for audio production and recording.

• edited September 2020

Thanks for the reply. What I’m after is a way to get 8+ Audio Outs from the iPad and into Ableton on the Desktop and thought maybe having a S/PDIF device hosting the iPad would feed those 8+ Channels to the S/PDIF receiving Audio Interface connected to the Laptop running Ableton.

I want to play my SoftSynths on the iPad and run their audio into the Laptop on separate audio channels.

• If you need more than 2 channels of audio you'll need ADAT interface. S/PDIF is only 2 channels, ADAT can be more, depending on sample rate.

S/PDIF
    2 ch @ 44.1 - 192 kHz

ADAT
    8 ch @ 44.1 or 48 kHz
    4 ch @ 88.2 or 96 kHz
    2 ch @ 192 kHz

Some optical ports can be used as ADAT or S/PDIF.

• a little off topic...
    Is there an interface that is iPad powered (not batteries, power bank or powered hub) and has 2 audio i/o and 1 midi i/o? Something simple like uca202 with midi.

• edited September 2020

@echoopera said:
    Thanks for the reply. What I’m after is a way to get 8+ Audio Outs from the iPad and into Ableton on the Desktop and thought maybe having a S/PDIF device hosting the iPad would feed those 8+ Channels to the S/PDIF receiving Audio Interface connected to the Laptop running Ableton.

I want to play my SoftSynths on the iPad and run their audio into the Laptop on separate audio channels.

In theory Studiomux would be perfect, buts it’s always been so buggy and not that dependable for me. The few times I have gotten it to work it was great, but I’ve only tried it with Logic Pro. I’m going to give it another day in court since I’ve upgraded my iPad since I’ve last tried it, I’ll see how it goes with Ableton

• edited September 2020

Yeah. StudiMux would work if it worked (when was that again?). Running ios14 and it’s a no go when i try to use it. 🧐

• edited September 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:
    a little off topic...
    Is there an interface that is iPad powered (not batteries, power bank or powered hub) and has 2 audio i/o and 1 midi i/o? Something simple like uca202 with midi.

Depends on the iPad. Some interfaces will work with iPads with USB C because they provide enough power like Focusrite 2i2 or Presonus newer USB C based interfaces.

If you are using an older iPad like me with a lightning port, then it won't provide enough power.

I recommend Zoom U44 or U22 because while they use batteries, they are very reliable and provide audio and midi.

• @auxmux
    Thanks,
    That's good to know for future, but yeah... now I'm looking for something generic (usb).

• Didn’t I see some that were black, red, and blue, little flash drive looking ones?

• @DukeWonder said:
    Didn’t I see some that were black, red, and blue, little flash drive looking ones?

That sounds like the Dragonfly Black, Red, or Cobalt. They're not 2 way interfaces though, so they have no inputs. They're basically a DAC and headphone amp in a small and convenient form factor, but they're only for monitoring, not recording.

• I'm using the Yamaha AG06, which is really flexible and sounds great. I have bidirectionality with my desktop PC setup. Feels like one system. It's quite unique in its features at such a low price point as well (I think I paid £130 for it a couple of years back). It can also be powered by a micro USB powerbank, which makes it a fully portable/wireless location recording solution.

• i have a question about interfaces with ipad...

if you have an interface like a focusrite with 4 mono inputs, can you send each stereo channel into separate tracks within AUM or another daw?

right now i’m running all my hardware into a single channel of AUM and it kinda sucks because i want different effects on them inside ios, i don’t want to buy a bunch of hardware effects, or record them separately, i like to play live... currently i’m using the focusrite 2i2 , i also have usb mixer that has several ins but isn’t great with ios

• @reasOne Yup, can do stereo or individual by input

• @auxmux said:
    @reasOne Yup, can do stereo or individual by input

damn i need to figure out if i can do that on my 2i2 i want to run stuff to its own aum chanel

• Just out of curiosity.

Are there any USB-C based audio-interfaces out there that provide USB-PD?
    This would be very handy when using devices with limited number of USB-C ports without having to use a dedicated HUB.

Ie. bring along one power brick connect it to the Audio/Midi interface and from the one USB-C cable to power the iPad/iPhone.

Sure we start to get more USB-C based audio-interfaces but USB-PD is a pretty essential feature to keep the rig up and running without draining the iPad/iPhone's battery...

Cheers!

• @auxmux said:

do you know how to separate each input into its own channel in aum?

• @reasOne said:

@auxmux said:

do you know how to separate each input into its own channel in aum?

i see it now lol L and R sheesh!

• I was recently pointed in the direction of the evo-4. I love it. It’s like an Apple product for audio interfaces. Autogain feature is very convenient, the whole thing is plug and play and simple to use, and it sounds great!

• @Samu said:
    Just out of curiosity.

Are there any USB-C based audio-interfaces out there that provide USB-PD?
    This would be very handy when using devices with limited number of USB-C ports without having to use a dedicated HUB.

Ie. bring along one power brick connect it to the Audio/Midi interface and from the one USB-C cable to power the iPad/iPhone.

Sure we start to get more USB-C based audio-interfaces but USB-PD is a pretty essential feature to keep the rig up and running without draining the iPad/iPhone's battery...

Cheers!

I’ve just done “not quite this” by buying an ESI M4U ex MIDI interface which integrates a powered 3-port USB3 hub. I’m about to buy an EVO4 to go with it.

• @MadGav said:

I’ve just done “not quite this” by buying an ESI M4U ex MIDI interface which integrates a powered 3-port USB3 hub. I’m about to buy an EVO4 to go with it.

I doubt the 'host port'(USB-B) will provide power to the connected iPad/IPhone :(
    I've been looking at the EVO4 as well. It's apparently got pretty good Mic Pre's and very strong headphone output.

I already have the Steinberg UR-242 and I do like the sound of the Yamaha D-Pre's so a the UR-22C could be an option for me.
    The only problem is that I want to avoid dongles and hubs as much as possible so the hunt for an Audio & Midi interfaces that has a USB-PD pass thru port continues.

I suspect that the more USB-C only laptops and computers we see the more likely it is that we'll see USB-PD on the audio interfaces for mobile use.

I guess for USB-C iPads the only viable options is a USB-C hub with a couple of USB-A & USB-C ports and USB-PD support.

I'm in nor rush yet to get a new iPad but I'd love to be 'prepared' when that happens...

• @Samu said:

@MadGav said:

I doubt the 'host port'(USB-B) will provide power to the connected iPad/IPhone :(
    I've been looking at the EVO4 as well. It's apparently got pretty good Mic Pre's and very strong headphone output.

I already have the Steinberg UR-242 and I do like the sound of the Yamaha D-Pre's so a the UR-22C could be an option for me.
    The only problem is that I want to avoid dongles and hubs as much as possible so the hunt for an Audio & Midi interfaces that has a USB-PD pass thru port continues.

I suspect that the more USB-C only laptops and computers we see the more likely it is that we'll see USB-PD on the audio interfaces for mobile use.

I guess for USB-C iPads the only viable options is a USB-C hub with a couple of USB-A & USB-C ports and USB-PD support.

I'm in nor rush yet to get a new iPad but I'd love to be 'prepared' when that happens...

@Samu said:

@MadGav said:

I think I’ve twigged what you were on about with USB-C power now - providing it from the hub/slave to the master? Sounds like a good idea to me!