Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hardware groovebox?

Comments

• The GO-DJ Plus reminds me of the "Monster GO DJ Portable".
    Is the Plus still available?
    How is the support?

• @rs2000 said:
    The GO-DJ Plus reminds me of the "Monster GO DJ Portable".
    Is the Plus still available?
    How is the support?

its by the same people, I haven't tried one yet but it looks like some fun,

• Nice:
    Too bad it costs 2300 EUR :smiley: I hope these things are at least made in Japan for that money...

OTOH the circuit can be combined if need be with the circuit mono station.

• You can get a second hand Toraiz SP-16 for around 900 €...

• @Tarekith said:
    My vote was going to be for the Circuit as well. Crazy synth power for the price, it's easy to use, and the lack of display and consistant knob assignments really forces you to use your ears and just experiment. Great portable sequencer for other gear too.

The (newest) Korg Electribes on paper look to be more powerful, especially on the sequencer front. But overall I found them much less enjoyable to use compared to the Circuit.

Agree with this. I have both Circuit and Electribe Sampler 2....the sequencer on the circuit is so simple to use in comparison to the Electribe. They are very similar until you start trying to edit sequences with chords in. The navigation on the Circuit is far more immediate than on the Electribe too.
    The Circuit synth is almost like having 2 x Mininovas, for sure the Mininova itself is more powerful, but the slimmed down versions in the Circuit are still pretty meaty :) As long as you use an editor (Either Components from a PC or use MIDI Synth Control app for iOS) you will get a LOT from the circuit synths.

• Maybe the MFB Tanzbär 2 is what the topic starter is looking for?
    cdm.link/2018/05/mfb-killer-drum-machine-tanzbar-2/
    mfberlin.de/en/device/tanzbar-2/

• @DMan said:
    The sequencer is also extremely limited as it’s step sequencer only

Erm...it is a step sequencer yes...but you can record in and it will record what you play, either from the pads or from an external keyboard or controller.
    Each 'step' of the 16 also has 6 'sub steps' so the resolution is pretty good.

• @raz said:

@jigglypuff said:
    I've gone down that road already. I bought a lot of different hardware then discovered that I prefer iPad and computer for making music. MUCH less space is needed and it's easy to pick up where I left off, which many times is not an option with hardware ( I know it depends on the hardware ). Definitely buy used gear so you don't lose too much money if you decide to sell later on.

After looking at all the options here, I’m also starting to think that maybe my gadget + nanoKey Studio is not such a bad option after all. Sometime one doesn’t know how good they have it until they’re neck deep in electribes and elektrons. Ahem.

That being said, the Circuit is the winner as an entry-level device for testing the hardware waters. After watching several vids, the missing screen is not a dealbreaker. It’s reasonably cheap too, in case I end up regreting the purchase. :smile: The deluge is clearly more impressive, but has limited availability and I’d have to pay quite a bit for transport and I assume import taxes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

LOL

My thoughts exactly.

Unless apps are acting up and then I am like FUCK THESE APPS.....I need more gear....LOL

Grass always greener.....

• @raz said:
    Nice:
    Too bad it costs 2300 EUR :smiley: I hope these things are at least made in Japan for that money...

OTOH the circuit can be combined if need be with the circuit mono station.

I definitely want one if they ever beef up the sequencer , it's hard as it is to resist the toraiz

• edited October 2018

@rs2000 said:
    I wondered too but from the price koba mentioned it can only be the Toraiz SP-16.

nah, the toraiz doesn't have those features either ... guess againnnn
    it's the beat machine they love to hate hahaha

• i didnt read everything here but my go to boxes we’re always the yamaha rm1x, electribe mx1 and roland mc505

• all the volcas together essentially make a groovebox.

• @senhorlampada said:
    Love my Electribes (EA, ER, EMX). And my MC-303. And the SP-404 and Sampletrak :wink:
    But the most portable (although not really a groovebox), the QY-70

qy70 is fucking great.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@DMan said:

Erm...it is a step sequencer yes...but you can record in and it will record what you play, either from the pads or from an external keyboard or controller.

Last I tried on v1.6 it only records to the steps and if you don’t play on the steps it won’t record it. The 1/6 steps have to be programmed. I’ve never been able to use them for anything but triplets. I did install 1.7 but haven’t used as much, I’m pretty sure for the new microsteps on the synths you only get one microstep per step. So, no triplets there.

• @DMan said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@DMan said:

Last I tried on v1.6 it only records to the steps and if you don’t play on the steps it won’t record it. The 1/6 steps have to be programmed. I’ve never been able to use them for anything but triplets. I did install 1.7 but haven’t used as much, I’m pretty sure for the new microsteps on the synths you only get one microstep per step. So, no triplets there.

It's definitely the same 6 microsteps on the synths as on the drums.

• @99476598326 said:
    all the volcas together essentially make a groovebox.

With like 20-30 cables and 36 AA batteries :o I’ve had my original 3 Volcas out recently they are kind of fun, but using an old iPad to sequence them to avoid only 16 steps. You can still do a lot with just 3 if you don’t mind repetitive. Still pretty expensive and less portable compared to other grooveboxes. Since I already have them, I do plan on securing them in a travel case with the old iPad. Just have to find a way to hide all the cables, while still having them accessible for troubleshooting.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@DMan said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@DMan said:

It's definitely the same 6 microsteps on the synths as on the drums.

On the drums you can trigger all 6 microsteps and on the synth you can only trigger one of the 6. If you don’t believe me try it.

• I have been on this search of yours for years. My wallet is still crying. And I have a OPZ on preorder although I'm not quite sure about the sampling engine.

I did stopped at the MPC LIve. Borrow it if you can and live with it for a week. It is a steep learning curve if you've never used MPCs but man it ticks all the freaking boxes. It even does Ableton link and BT midi.

Also try putting your iPad in Kiosk mode. Like for kids. So you can force it to use ONE app. Works for me

• I don't think they're battery powered but if you're ok with older stuff, you might want to investigate the E-MU Command Station(s) or Yamaha RMX-1.

• @alecsbuga said:
    I have been on this search of yours for years. My wallet is still crying. And I have a OPZ on preorder although I'm not quite sure about the sampling engine.

I did stopped at the MPC LIve. Borrow it if you can and live with it for a week. It is a steep learning curve if you've never used MPCs but man it ticks all the freaking boxes. It even does Ableton link and BT midi.

Also try putting your iPad in Kiosk mode. Like for kids. So you can force it to use ONE app. Works for me

Let me read this one more time....

• @RUST( i )K said:

@alecsbuga said:
    I have been on this search of yours for years. My wallet is still crying. And I have a OPZ on preorder although I'm not quite sure about the sampling engine.

Why? I might’ve gotten carried away so the idea was lost but the point is GET AN MPC and out your iPad in guided access mode from accessibility settings.

• @alecsbuga said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@alecsbuga said:

Why? I might’ve gotten carried away so the idea was lost but the point is GET AN MPC and out your iPad in guided access mode from accessibility settings.

I agree.

I literally wanted to re read and make sure I understood your point.

I think the point of this thread is that many of us feel just like you.

Sort of the evolution and ebb/flow of this iOS thing I guess.

• ok so what did you get?

• The best groovebox (and I have owned most of them) was the Roland mc909 ...no battery power but what an absolute great groovebox! It had pitch stretch, dbeam, full synth control on front panel, multiple tracks, sampling, great effects, sequencing, and decent screen...i wish roland would reissue it!

Other than that on batteries...mpclive, you can get synthy enough with it...plus there’s keygroups from people like wavethings that are affordable...the live is my favorite piece of gear thus far...

You don’t want to know what all I’ve owned....hahaha hardware gear used to be my iPad apps.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    The best groovebox (and I have owned most of them) was the Roland mc909 ...no battery power but what an absolute great groovebox! It had pitch stretch, dbeam, full synth control on front panel, multiple tracks, sampling, great effects, sequencing, and decent screen...i wish roland would reissue it!

Other than that on batteries...mpclive, you can get synthy enough with it...plus there’s keygroups from people like wavethings that are affordable...the live is my favorite piece of gear thus far...

You don’t want to know what all I’ve owned....hahaha hardware gear used to be my iPad apps.

I look at these on wallapop daily. MV8800, SU700, SP555... and lately djs1000/toraiz since they start to be available too. Mpc never were my cup of tea and Live seems to much for my actual needs but I’m happy firmware updates flow make it better as time goes. Also miss my electribes and Roland VariOS...

• If I were still in the market, OP-1 or DSI Tempest would be my pick, though I also considered the Deluge. All incredible at what they do.

I seriously considered going standalone myself until recently, just never could convince myself to overlook the limitations. I ended up going with the middleground, Maschine MK3, and haven't looked back since. I can stay completely away from mouse and KB and have access to all my hardware synths, PC vsts and iPad sounds all at once, in a very hardware like workflow. My GAS lust for HW devices faded into darkness. It really is the best of both worlds, imho.

• DSI tempest was the worst music gear buy I ever made, spend a year and a half with bugs and midi timing issues. Sold it and still have trauma.

• edited October 2018

@[Deleted User] wow, I was looking at it FMI, definitely too pricey but sounds amazing and on time on youtube...Did you had the 1.5 version ? (seems the latest firmware)

• If you have access to a decent computer, I'd totally agree with this. Maschine is definitely the most powerful and well rounded Groovebox I've ever used, especially since you can do everything from the hardware and totally ignore the computer aspect for pretty much everything. The new MK3 controllers are a nice improvement.

@ZenKier said:
    If I were still in the market, OP-1 or DSI Tempest would be my pick, though I also considered the Deluge. All incredible at what they do.

I seriously considered going standalone myself until recently, just never could convince myself to overlook the limitations. I ended up going with the middleground, Maschine MK3, and haven't looked back since. I can stay completely away from mouse and KB and have access to all my hardware synths, PC vsts and iPad sounds all at once, in a very hardware like workflow. My GAS lust for HW devices faded into darkness. It really is the best of both worlds, imho.

• @kobamoto nothing yet, but it's gonna be the circuit.