Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hardware groovebox?

Comments

• HERE IS MY FAVORITE I HAVE SEEN AND HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS ONE FOR ACTUALLY BUYING.

• edited October 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    MPC Live. If you’ve got an iPad you can sample your synths.

It’s battery powered, comes with 16 gigs storage and 9 gigs of factory sounds with expandable SD memory.

I think the other groove boxes are to simple, Electribe, or too complicated, Electrons.

If I wasn’t so invested in IOS I’d be happy with the MPC Live.

Have you tried Groove Rider? Try it for 30 days as your default app. It is really growing on me now.

@RUST( i )K I was pointing this.
    There is a gap between the mpc live and the iPad. Something with screen, sampler, pads (or even keys) but not for one grand

Volca sampler modified...? But no screen.
    Circuit with the app?
    Blocs wave in a box?
    Korg microsampler?
    Electron... wait! For less than a grand

It’s a true shame/madness there is no true sampler on the cheap but reinvented squared wheels :lol:

• Heard great things about the digitakt. I'm gonna check out the op-z when it releases. No screen, but you can use ipad as a screen if you need one. It does drums, synths, pattern chaining, mute groups, effects, midi in/out. Could be a very potent groovebox/workstation.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

It’s battery powered, comes with 16 gigs storage and 9 gigs of factory sounds with expandable SD memory.

I think the other groove boxes are to simple, Electribe, or too complicated, Electrons.

Have you tried Groove Rider? Try it for 30 days as your default app. It is really growing on me now.

There is a gap between the mpc live and the iPad. Something with screen, sampler, pads (or even keys) but not for one grand

Volca sampler modified...? But o screen.
    Circuit with the app?
    Blocs wave in a box?
    Korg microsampler?

It’s a true shame/madness there is no true sampler on the cheap but reinvented squared wheels :lol:

It is odd.

I mean the Circuit has done good.

Really good.

Shocked more haven't went down that road.

And no, I do not mean an Electron or the what is useless to someone like me Teenage Engineering gadgets.

• Is there anything like the Circuit sequencer out there without the synth and sample side?

• A relevant channel

• Octatrack. Does every thing that seq thing does but max 64 steps!. And then there's the 8 audio tracks wth manipulation that no other hw machine offers/ MK1 sh no brainer

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Volca sampler modified...? But no screen.
    Circuit with the app?
    Blocs wave in a box?
    Korg microsampler?

It is odd.

I mean the Circuit has done good.

Really good.

Shocked more haven't went down that road.

And no, I do not mean an Electron or the what is useless to someone like me Teenage Engineering gadgets.

Circuit sampler will be great but since Blocs was released as companion I don’t expect something like that soon. For looping purposes I’m lusting rear a djs1000... but again expend a grand to make it happen.

• @ElectroHead said:
    Octatrack. Does every thing that seq thing does but max 64 steps!. And then there's the 8 audio tracks wth manipulation that no other hw machine offers/ MK1 sh no brainer

Would like to cut the cost and get a sequencer only unit.

• I've gone down that road already. I bought a lot of different hardware then discovered that I prefer iPad and computer for making music. MUCH less space is needed and it's easy to pick up where I left off, which many times is not an option with hardware ( I know it depends on the hardware ). Definitely buy used gear so you don't lose too much money if you decide to sell later on.

• @jigglypuff said:
    I've gone down that road already. I bought a lot of different hardware then discovered that I prefer iPad and computer for making music. MUCH less space is needed and it's easy to pick up where I left off, which many times is not an option with hardware ( I know it depends on the hardware ). Definitely buy used gear so you don't lose too much money if you decide to sell later on.

After looking at all the options here, I’m also starting to think that maybe my gadget + nanoKey Studio is not such a bad option after all. Sometime one doesn’t know how good they have it until they’re neck deep in electribes and elektrons. Ahem.

That being said, the Circuit is the winner as an entry-level device for testing the hardware waters. After watching several vids, the missing screen is not a dealbreaker. It’s reasonably cheap too, in case I end up regreting the purchase. :smile: The deluge is clearly more impressive, but has limited availability and I’d have to pay quite a bit for transport and I assume import taxes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

• does gadget even allow you to automate tempo or time signature changes?

• omho Toraiz SP-16, then use you iPad as a synth module, and sample it as needed.
    Easy, fun, robust, recent device...

• edited October 2018

portability
    a good song mode
    super flexible
    midi merge and midi divide and explode
    tempo/time signature automation
    freeze per pad !!
    best make shift synth capabilities
    ridiculous I/O connections
    clip launchmode
    looper

is there really any other choice?

• edited October 2018

@kobamoto said:
    portability
    a good song mode
    super flexible
    freeze per pad !!
    clip launchmode
    looper

And a grand cheap.

No afaik...

• With my recent learning of what synthwave is, I suppose I’d better stop hoping to sell my old QY700 and perhaps actually start using it. I know it is 90s XG sounds, but they were effectively frozen pastiches of what fell out of the late 80s popular front, as we knew it then.

• @AudioGus said:
    Is there anything like the Circuit sequencer out there without the synth and sample side?

Maybe Beatstep Pro, but you won’t get polyphony. I’ve never used it though. If your reason is you just want something cheaper sometimes the Circuit goes on sale. I got one open-box and during a sale for just $220USD still under warranty. I bought it originally thinking I’d just sequence the iPad, but use it more on it’s own. So, I’m glad to have it’s own sounds. The drum channel is a pretty bad seqencer on the Circuit. Word on the web is that the Beatstep Pro shines as a drum sequencer. I doubt the Beatstep can automate CCs like the Circuit can though.

• edited October 2018

OP-1 also could be worth thinking about or a second hand MPC Live should only be £700.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@kobamoto said:
    portability
    a good song mode
    super flexible
    freeze per pad !!
    clip launchmode
    looper

And a grand cheap.

No afaik...

mine was only $950 us new... I bet second hand has many deals, I saw some used for 745 at pro audio recently.
    it's a 5/6 hour portable no brainer Swiss army knife at this point

• I wasn’t sure if you were talking about live or circuit.
    After see what is and what is not a live I still prefer djs1000 but I can understand people who needs all the specs, even basic functionality came after firmware updates and so.
    But these are still too expensive even second hand. In the end I can deal with Blocs and export but neither the OP question.

Circuit sampler novation?

• @raz said:

After looking at all the options here, I’m also starting to think that maybe my gadget + nanoKey Studio is not such a bad option after all. Sometime one doesn’t know how good they have it until they’re neck deep in electribes and elektrons. Ahem.

You can also use iOS 12’s Screentime to limit use of the apps that distract you. Set it so that you can only use gadget in the afternoons, for example.

• I wondered too but from the price koba mentioned it can only be the Toraiz SP-16.

• @raz said:

Amen to that :smiley:

That being said, the Circuit is the winner as an entry-level device for testing the hardware waters. After watching several vids, the missing screen is not a dealbreaker. It’s reasonably cheap too, in case I end up regreting the purchase. :smile: The deluge is clearly more impressive, but has limited availability and I’d have to pay quite a bit for transport and I assume import taxes.

Devices without an LCD screen do have another advantage: You save your eyes from staring onto a screen all the time. Also, I bet you'll write different songs with the Circuit because you have to use your imagination more, just like on the OP-Z.
    When I see people demoing the MPC Lice or Toraiz SP-16, I'm asking myself all the time what in the world I would gain by using these instead of the iPad apps.

• @rs2000 said:

@raz said:

Amen to that :smiley:

Devices without an LCD screen do have another advantage: You save your eyes from staring onto a screen all the time. Also, I bet you'll write different songs with the Circuit because you have to use your imagination more, just like on the OP-Z.
    When I see people demoing the MPC Lice or Toraiz SP-16, I'm asking myself all the time what in the world I would gain by using these instead of the iPad apps.

there isn't any iPad app that can do the things I listed. that's what you'd gain.

• def not what the op is looking for but just posting cause it looks like a fun toy

• @AudioGus said:

@ElectroHead said:
    Octatrack. Does every thing that seq thing does but max 64 steps!. And then there's the 8 audio tracks wth manipulation that no other hw machine offers/ MK1 sh no brainer

Would like to cut the cost and get a sequencer only unit.

MPC 500 and 1000 (with JJOS) are probably the most powerful / feature-rich hardware sequencers for the prices they go for. Rock solid midi clock. There's the added bonus that they also play samples!