Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app by the strange agency.soup granular.

Comments

• @cuscolima said:
    From the dev’s site :

Will you be adding Audiobus or IAA?

For now the answer is "sorry, probably not".

Why not?

Soup was conceived as a standalone app and, between the fluid simulation and the granular synth, it uses just about 100% of the CPU on most iPads.

I think that’s me out then.

• @MonzoPro said:

@cuscolima said:
    From the dev’s site :

Why not?

Soup was conceived as a standalone app and, between the fluid simulation and the granular synth, it uses just about 100% of the CPU on most iPads.

OK so it makes cool sounds you can’t do anything with unless you record to a second device. Where’s that DAT machine...

• @cuscolima said:
    From the dev’s site :

And all iPads in the future, I guess.

“We don’t want to” would have been a more logical reason.

Clearly we ain’t target market, moving on.

• edited May 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    Hey I sent the Strange agency LLC a request for them to add audiobus and AU.
    maybe some of you guys can do the same, here is their adress.

[email protected]

>

Do you think this will have any effect? I mean, these guys know exactly how important connectivity is to IOS music makers, yet they chose to launch an app with nothing other than the abominable iTunes. So it would appear that we are not their target market. :'(

Vinyl the real record player
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vinyl-the-real-record-player/id571600993?mt=8

This app Vinyl did NOT have Audiobus when it was released either I contacted the dev and basically went back and forth with him a little and after a few months he finally added it. So YOU never know, WE have more power than YOU think. WE are the ones that buy the apps. This is a $9.99 app, The Strange Agency is a company and companies need to make money. I do like this app and that is why I WILL invest time at least trying to persuade the Dev to upgrade this app. Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Also on the Developers website below where it says
    they will NOT be adding Audiobus it says FEEDBACK. Because they want feedback so give it to them.

• HARD PASS.

• I do like this company's weird apps, would still consider it if on sale. Not sure if it would even run on my devices if its very cpu intensive as they say.

• edited May 2018

@oldschoolwillie said:
    they will NOT be adding Audiobus it says FEEDBACK. Because they want feedback so give it to them.

>

Ah, then I the CUSTOMER (fx Doug on dramatic keys) will go to THEIR website and feedback that I will NOT be buying this without connectivity. Job done. :)

EDIT

On second thoughts, I can’t be bothered. These guys know how unpopular lack of connectivity will be here, and simply don’t give a toss.

• @anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@cuscolima said:
    From the dev’s site :

Why not?

OK so it makes cool sounds you can’t do anything with unless you record to a second device. Where’s that DAT machine...

If it uses 100% CPU as they say, and my Air 2 struggles with some new apps already, then I couldn’t even do that.

I can see I’m not their target market, but if I’m not, then who is?

• Worked fine on an Air1during beta, but without connectivity I'll be giving it a pass. The dev did tell me he'd look at import/export options though, so I wouldn't totally count it out.

• This is a shame. Even a simple export to Files would probably be enough to give it tempting status as it sits more in the fun than essential category at present (for me)

• edited May 2018

@thinds said:

The dev did tell me he'd look at import/export options though, so I wouldn't totally count it out.
    >

If he’s not too busy, eh? Really, this kind of sometime maybe attitude is just irritating.

I don’t get why anyone would fork out a tenner for an app to mix up Wave files that don’t go anywhere. It’d be like owning a custom fart box. :)

• A short musical interlude...

Retro

• Mmm noodle soup

• Those guys! I like their work, but dislike their lack of connectivity.
    "The perverse is hard to be corrected..."

• edited May 2018

@Zen210507 said:

Ah, then I the CUSTOMER (fx Doug on dramatic keys) will go to THEIR website and feedback that I will NOT be buying this without connectivity. Job done. :)
    EDIT
    On second thoughts, I can’t be bothered.

By all means do so I have done so already. Dev said they consider the addition.........
    http://strange.software/ipad/soup

• I just got a tweet from the Dev saying that it has import/export via Files app Dropbox, etc. :|

• Temptation was too big and I just bought it and....YES, it has export function so I can have my experiments directly in AudioShare...cool

• @anickt said:
    I just got a tweet from the Dev saying that it has import/export via Files app Dropbox, etc. :|

That’s something, as well as the line-in option.

Does anyone know how ‘The third button lets you share recordings with other apps’ works? Could you share the recording with Audioshare for example?

• I use a second iPad with things like K Machine, TAKETE, and some others.

This might be a go.

I just like to have the option to use with others.

I find that hard to believe using 100% of CPU.

I mean really?

Not exactly a video game

• There is something magical in this app... I’m not sure I will be able to create something musically good with it but the concept is just crazy innovative. Hard to describe what it is but it is a kind of a mix between tardigrain, idensity, soundscaper and borderlands. If you like that kind of stuff, you will love this!

• @cuscolima said:
    Temptation was too big and I just bought it and....YES, it has export function so I can have my experiments directly in AudioShare...cool

Thanks for the info! B)

• I'm definitely interested in this... though I'm not very clear from the demo video, how much different this is than something like Borderlands or iDensity, etc. The visuals are definitely fun, but the end result sounds like something you could also get with either one of those two apps. What does this do that's different?

Also, great that you can export out. I was still interested in this with no connectivity at all (I don't mind feeding a line from one iOS device to the other) but exporting out to AudioShare is great. I wasn't going to pay $10 for an app that ONLY did iTunes sharing, but export out to AudioShare has my attention again. :)

I see this has a line/mic in. How exactly do samples get into this app? Open in, and/or record line in only? Cut/Paste samples from other apps?

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    By all means do so I have done so already. Dev said they consider the addition.........
    http://strange.software/ipad/soup

>

Further posts here make it sound a bit more interesting, again. But still don’t get why good, functional connectivity needs to be ‘considered’ or the excuse of it being so incredibly resource hungry. Hmmm, will keep watching.

• There are two inputs (line in - mono) and a file reader where you can load a wave file. Then it is becoming more interesting: you play the file and with a “writer” button, you “engrave” what you hear on a kind of plasma...you can then load another wave file, play it and add the song to the plasma...and so on. You have then a second “read” button Ued to play what is on the plasma. You can move the plasma, distord it, shake it...and you will explode your different songs into...granular songs. Very spectacular

• @cuscolima said:
    There are two inputs (line in - mono) and a file reader where you can load a wave file. Then it is becoming more interesting: you play the file and with a “writer” button, you “engrave” what you hear on a kind of plasma...you can then load another wave file, play it and add the song to the plasma...and so on. You have then a second “read” button Ued to play what is on the plasma. You can move the plasma, distord it, shake it...and you will explode your different songs into...granular songs. Very spectacular

In the demo video earlier in the thread, there's a green circle and red circle. Are these just different touch points? What's the difference between the green and red?

• What's really attractive about this one for me... is that although it looks like you get some user input via samples, and interaction with the "soup"... it also looks like any given session with this app would tend to be one of a kind. Is this an accurate assessment? For example, lets say I stir into the soup 2-3 samples, manipulate and move around the soup's surface plasma and record it, then export. Seems like it'd be nearly impossible to exactly duplicate that particular session again. Correct?

• Green are the read buttons (you can have several playing simultaneously). Red are the write buttons.
    Yes, uniqueness is a good definition of what will be generated by this app. The granular sound is maybe not for everyone...it is special

• @cuscolima said:
    Green are the read buttons (you can have several playing simultaneously). Red are the write buttons.
    Yes, uniqueness is a good definition of what will be generated by this app. The granular sound is maybe not for everyone...it is special

Thanks! Looks very interesting indeed.

• tempting but it looks from the videos that most things end up with a similar sound after going through it. Looks fun though for mucking about with.

• @Carnbot said:
    tempting but it looks from the videos that most things end up with a similar sound after going through it. Looks fun though for mucking about with.

I thought that at first too, but I wonder how much that has to do with them likely using the same samples in all 3 demos? I would guess you could get a radically different sound with very different samples... or, maybe it does all end up sounds kinda similar. Often feel that way a bit with Borderlands.