Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app by the strange agency.soup granular.

124»

Comments

• @gusgranite said:
    @tsa ah, I thought the whole point was that you can mix samples together in the soup. My mistake. (That would be cool though!).

Soup is very similar to real soup in that when you add ingredients they’re going to effect the soup in ways where they can’t simply be removed like you can if you’re simply mixing different audio sources together. Soup records the history of the cook or in this case the musician.

• @InfoCheck said:
    @tsa it would be nice to have a version of Soup that minimized the visual processing so it could integrate more easily into an audio chain. Thank you for your consideration.

I LOVE the graphics though. @tsa if you do consider this... please only make it an option. I dig what you've done here. Maybe a little more connection, but I'm nearly sold as is.

• @gusgranite said:
    @tsa ah, I thought the whole point was that you can mix samples together in the soup. My mistake. (That would be cool though!).

Sir Doug did his thing this app is crazy......DOUG's app link below
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soup-...

Soup Granular DEMO thesoundtestroom

• edited May 2018

@InfoCheck said:

@gusgranite said:

Soup is very similar to real soup in that when you add ingredients they’re going to effect the soup in ways where they can’t simply be removed like you can if you’re simply mixing different audio sources together. Soup records the history of the cook or in this case the musician.

Are you guessing? Cool if you are, just curious.

[edit: OK, I think you were being poetic. I thought you were referring to the limitations of the coding or something :smile: ]

• edited May 2018

Had a play and really like this but Audiobus compatibility would make experimenting a lot easier and I'm sure an iPad pro could handle it. AB statesave would be a bonus. :)

I think it would benefit from full screen soup mode with more touch gestures for the controls combined with midi support for the sliders too.

I really like the visual side of it and hope they develop more visual themes for it too maybe. I can see why this isn't right for AU at this point in time. Maybe one day when ipads are more powerful.

@tsa please add background audio too :)

• edited May 2018

@Carnbot said:
    Had a play and really like this but Audiobus compatibility would make experimenting a lot easier and I'm sure an iPad pro could handle it. AB statesave would be a bonus. :)

AB and state saving would be a decider.

But the idea of having AU3 versions of this under AUM, all hooked up to different effects, and recordable via AUM, would be fantastic.

I can’t see why this would be impossible. If stuff as intensive Auria Pro with multiple tracks and FX runs smoothly on a recent iPad, then why not Soup?

• @gusgranite said:

@InfoCheck said:

@gusgranite said:

Are you guessing? Cool if you are, just curious.

I’m interpreting what the developer has told you as well as his description of how the app works along with Doug’s demo video, “It’s different every time.”

@gusgranite I'm not sure if this is already clear, but only one sample is being played into the fluid at a time. Once it's recorded onto the fluid, there's really no way to turn a sample off. I take your point about showing which file is currently playing though.

A similar analogy would be:
    “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”
    ― Heraclitus

You can achieve similar one way journey’s using the subtractive synth app BeepBoop as it has lots of feedback loops and filtering which can then take on a life of their own which can’t be repeated or returned to the original.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Carnbot said:

AB and state saving would be a decider.

But the idea of having AU3 versions of this under AUM, all hooked up to different effects, and recordable via AUM, would be fantastic.

I can’t see why this would be impossible. If stuff as intensive Auria Pro with multiple tracks and FX runs smoothly on a recent iPad, then why not Soup?

because Soup has audio combined with graphics of physics based particle simulations, which for an Auv3 is probably quite difficult at the current state of iOS etc.

• It’s still not in Appshopper.com ?! Strange

• @InfoCheck What, Doug’s “I have no idea what I’m doing here folks” masterclass? He seemed as happily bemused as the rest of us. :wink:

@tsa OK, I have used a little bit of Soup in the track I am working in which is great! It is a unique effect so congrats on the release. Like we have suggested - if you are able to upgrade Soup to AU FX or Audiobus/IAA FX for signal chaining, add background audio if IAA, and the ability to add and remove more than one sample at a time, then I think we have something really special on our hands!

Thx

• edited May 2018

@gusgranite said:
    @InfoCheck What, Doug’s “I have no idea what I’m doing here folks” masterclass? He seemed as happily bemused as the rest of us. :wink:

Doug knows the changes you record into the Soup can’t be undone which is consistent with what the developer has said. To be fair to Doug, I don’t think anybody would be able to accurately predict what sounds will be produced from the app compared to a traditional synth or granular synth as each change you make to the fluid effects the sound based upon its current state.

• @InfoCheck said:

@gusgranite said:
    @InfoCheck What, Doug’s “I have no idea what I’m doing here folks” masterclass? He seemed as happily bemused as the rest of us. :wink:

Doug knows the changes you record into the Soup can’t be undone which is consistent with what the developer has said. To be fair to Doug, I don’t think anybody would be able to accurately predict what sounds will be produced from the app compared to a traditional synth or granular synth as each change you make to the fluid effects the sound based upon its current state.

Good stuff, let’s see where it lands with this one. It’s so nice to have these sonic playgrounds to delve into on the iPad. I’m doing a lot of conference / hotel work this month so iPad plus headphones is the perfect way to travel.

• I think in the realms of the app logic, removing samples doesn't make sense as that's the point of the app to record into the grains.... what would make sense would be an eraser for erasing soup particles. so an extra mode "erase" for the write head. so you could leave some of the bits you like in and add other new particles to it.

@gusgranite said:

@InfoCheck said:

@gusgranite said:

Good stuff, let’s see where it lands with this one. It’s so nice to have these sonic playgrounds to delve into on the iPad. I’m doing a lot of conference / hotel work this month so iPad plus headphones is the perfect way to travel.

@tsa

• @Carnbot said:
    I think in the realms of the app logic, removing samples doesn't make sense as that's the point of the app to record into the grains.... what would make sense would be an eraser for erasing soup particles. so an extra mode "erase" for the write head. so you could leave some of the bits you like in and add other new particles to it.

>
    yep

• @tsa it’s cool you’ve added an LFO in the latest update. Can you tell us more about getting the most out of it?

• @InfoCheck The visuals in this one are all rendered on the GPU, so no issue with CPU there, but the fluid math determines all of the grain velocities and positions, so there's no way to sort of turn down the visuals to get more performance. As @Carnbot points out, all the physics is what's eating up the CPU. But yeah, with an iPad Pro we get more latitude.

@Carnbot The erase head could indeed make a good addition. For the moment, if you turn DECAY all the way up in the READ section, you get halfway there by erasing as you're reading.

@gusgranite The LFO hasn't been documented yet but nice catch! It lets you slosh the fluid automatically to really get the soup flowing. There's a new panel accessible where the FLUID controls are by tapping on the [1][2] page button. It's the standard depth and rate settings. Both will be tempered by the fluid, so high rate and depth might appear to do nothing due to the fluid's inertia. And there's a new button at center bottom, LFO, to control the LFO position.

• edited May 2018

@tsa thanks, yeah I spotted that, works quite well.
    I really like the LFO addition btw, great addition... hope we can get some more types of LFO maybe and could sync with Ableton Link, maybe the lfos could be assigned to the other fader controls too etc. Love experimenting with this, nice app :)

If there's a chance we could save "scenes" that would be welcomed. eg settings along with the sample. If you open a sample in soup and then close the session the sample disappears unless you record the session in soup (along with souped audio)

• @tsa said:
    @InfoCheck The visuals in this one are all rendered on the GPU, so no issue with CPU there, but the fluid math determines all of the grain velocities and positions, so there's no way to sort of turn down the visuals to get more performance. As @Carnbot points out, all the physics is what's eating up the CPU. But yeah, with an iPad Pro we get more latitude.

@Carnbot The erase head could indeed make a good addition. For the moment, if you turn DECAY all the way up in the READ section, you get halfway there by erasing as you're reading.

@gusgranite The LFO hasn't been documented yet but nice catch! It lets you slosh the fluid automatically to really get the soup flowing. There's a new panel accessible where the FLUID controls are by tapping on the [1][2] page button. It's the standard depth and rate settings. Both will be tempered by the fluid, so high rate and depth might appear to do nothing due to the fluid's inertia. And there's a new button at center bottom, LFO, to control the LFO position.

LFO is a nice addition. Thanks!

• @tsa said:
    @InfoCheck The visuals in this one are all rendered on the GPU, so no issue with CPU there, but the fluid math determines all of the grain velocities and positions, so there's no way to sort of turn down the visuals to get more performance. As @Carnbot points out, all the physics is what's eating up the CPU. But yeah, with an iPad Pro we get more latitude.

Thank you for your explanation of how the apps works and why it’s not really possible to increase the efficiency of the app due to all of the underlaying processing going on. Too often non-music programmers can assume certain trade offs or efficiencies can be achieved without having a basic understanding of what’s going on underneath the hood of the app.

• edited May 2018

Hey @tsa - I used Soup in this new track for the BM3 forum battle. Thanks for creating it!

• any new vids up ?

• @gusgranite said:
    Hey @tsa - I used Soup in this new track for the BM3 forum battle. Thanks for creating it!

Brilliant! Some parts can be on the next Radiohead hit...

• @cuscolima said:

@gusgranite said:

Brilliant! Some parts can be on the next Radiohead hit...

Radiohead bit my style! :joy:

Apps used in BM3: Soundscaper, Syntronik, Soup, Kosmonaut, FS Reverser Delay, DDMF Directional EQ, Italizer Echo, Alien Box, Objeq, iVCS3 Spring Reverb, Discord4, ADverb2, DubFilter, Dedalus, VirtualRoom, FAC Chrorus, FAC Transient, FAC Maxima, and Grand Finale standalone.

• Strange!
    ;)
    Great to see it put to good use!

@gusgranite said:

• @tsa said:
    Strange!
    ;)
    Great to see it put to good use!

@gusgranite said:

Ha! Strange is a compliment from you :joy:

• @gusgranite said:

I know I’m several years late but I really like the track.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@gusgranite said:

I know I’m several years late but I really like the track.

Ha. Thank you. It was a fun competition.