Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looperverse by Retronymns: AB, Link etc

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@Retronyms said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Retronyms said:

I guess Im confused why the wrap around spoils it for you. How would you rather it behave?

See my comment below.

@InfoCheck said:

Perhaps people who are struggling with wrap around are thinking Looperverse is like a traditional DAW with a start and end whereas in Looperverse you can place clips so they cross what would be the traditional beginning and end points of tracks?

Looperverse isn't a traditional looper - which is why I like it. It is a cross between a DAW and a looper. It's a unique tool, but, some of the old functionality is getting confused in the crossover.

Looperverse has a linear timeline. It records from A to B and then either goes back to A again or moves to a new track to record C to D.

Looperverse has been given traditional DAW type editing tools, such as split and duplicate - perfect for working on a linear timeline, and along with looper-type recording tools, make this a quick and fun way to build up loops.

But it's also forcing Loopy-style circular wrapping of audio, which though useful for basic looper type workflow - makes anything more than basic editing a pain, and since it has several more accurate tools for duplicating audio already, doesn't need to be forced on the user.

It needs an option to disable automatic wrapping, or a better method such as a repeat function by dragging the handles. This will allow easy, more precise editing on the linear timeline, and make it a truly beautiful thing - those used to old-style loopers will feel at home, and those of us who like to have more control over editing can dive in and tweak our audio to perfection - all within the same app.

I've slept on it, and as @Retronyms seem firmly committed to keeping this feature switched on, decided not to waste any more time with this. Doesn't work for me so I'll be requesting a refund today.

I think this is a missed opportunity, but as the lack of Audioshare support demonstrates, Retronyms have their own way of doing things which doesn't fit in with mine.

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:
    I don't mind the wrap around thing. It has it's uses. It's a looper afterall. If my timing stunk (as it usually does) and I just wanted to shift the whole thing back a little but maintain the integrity of the loop, wrap is good.

It's a looper with a linear timeline and DAW style editing tools, which opens up a whole bigger range of editing options than just nudging a lump of audio across.

As it's doing both things, it needs to have an option to disable wrapping (for imported audio too) so those of us that want the speed of a looper, but also the functionality of a basic DAW, can get in and fiddle about without the wrapping mucking things up.

I'm not saying wrapping is bad - it's a useful feature, but for this app to realise it's full unique potential, it just needs to provide an option to switch it off for those of us who don't want it.

@Carnbot said:
    An option to enable or disable it would be nice I agree.

Personally all I think they need to do is to make the edge behaviour more easy to control as currently it's a bit unfinished in it's implementation. I can see for some it being weird but I can also see it as one of the unique selling point of the app compared to a DAW. More precise control over the cropping when it goes off the edge would be appreciated :)

I can see a bug where if my sample is pushed off to the right edge so that the end of the sample is coming in from the left side. If I try to shorten the crop with Grid snap on it has problems. But with no snap on, it's easier to control the overlapping.

@InfoCheck said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:
    I don't mind the wrap around thing. It has it's uses. It's a looper afterall. If my timing stunk (as it usually does) and I just wanted to shift the whole thing back a little but maintain the integrity of the loop, wrap is good.

It's a looper with a linear timeline and DAW style editing tools, which opens up a whole bigger range of editing options than just nudging a lump of audio across.

As it's doing both things, it needs to have an option to disable wrapping (for imported audio too) so those of us that want the speed of a looper, but also the functionality of a basic DAW, can get in and fiddle about without the wrapping mucking things up.

I'm not saying wrapping is bad - it's a useful feature, but for this app to realise it's full unique potential, it just needs to provide an option to switch it off for those of us who don't want it.

Having the option seems to be the sensible thing....it will suit both sets of people and lead to a larger user base.

Exactly. If technically possible/feasible, they should certainly look at implementing this option.

Ain't gonna happen.

Since Retronyms targeted the app for looping, they may believe adding a non-looping mode may end up being too confusing for users. It doesn't hurt to ask for features you'd like to see in an app. It could be they just didn't anticipate users wanting to toggle wrap around on/off so they might decide it's a good idea to implement it.

Thanks, all suggestions have been noted for the devs. We'll see what happens.

What did they say regarding the auto wrapping? 'Yes we'll fix that', 'no, we like it like that', or 'that one's finished we're working on the other thing now'?

Sorry to rush you for an answer, but there's a short refund 'window' and this is a make or break issue for me.

We appreciate the enthusiasm and just a kind reminder that decisions like this aren't overnight. It would require a bit of work to implement such a feature and the devs will take some time to read through not only this suggestion but other suggestions as well. If we decide to implement such a feature, we'll be sure to let you know. So please don't let our decision making stop you in whatever you need to do if you decide you want a refund or not. Like someone mentioned, you can always re-buy later if its just not for you as it is now. I would rather you be happy with your decision than be frustrated as to whether or not a feature might be implemented.

Thanks again for giving us your feedback. It's very helpful to see how creative all of you are with Looperverse.

-Eric

• @Retronyms said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Retronyms said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Retronyms said:

I guess Im confused why the wrap around spoils it for you. How would you rather it behave?

See my comment below.

@InfoCheck said:

Perhaps people who are struggling with wrap around are thinking Looperverse is like a traditional DAW with a start and end whereas in Looperverse you can place clips so they cross what would be the traditional beginning and end points of tracks?

Looperverse isn't a traditional looper - which is why I like it. It is a cross between a DAW and a looper. It's a unique tool, but, some of the old functionality is getting confused in the crossover.

Looperverse has a linear timeline. It records from A to B and then either goes back to A again or moves to a new track to record C to D.

Looperverse has been given traditional DAW type editing tools, such as split and duplicate - perfect for working on a linear timeline, and along with looper-type recording tools, make this a quick and fun way to build up loops.

But it's also forcing Loopy-style circular wrapping of audio, which though useful for basic looper type workflow - makes anything more than basic editing a pain, and since it has several more accurate tools for duplicating audio already, doesn't need to be forced on the user.

It needs an option to disable automatic wrapping, or a better method such as a repeat function by dragging the handles. This will allow easy, more precise editing on the linear timeline, and make it a truly beautiful thing - those used to old-style loopers will feel at home, and those of us who like to have more control over editing can dive in and tweak our audio to perfection - all within the same app.

I've slept on it, and as @Retronyms seem firmly committed to keeping this feature switched on, decided not to waste any more time with this. Doesn't work for me so I'll be requesting a refund today.

I think this is a missed opportunity, but as the lack of Audioshare support demonstrates, Retronyms have their own way of doing things which doesn't fit in with mine.

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@Carnbot said:
    An option to enable or disable it would be nice I agree.

Personally all I think they need to do is to make the edge behaviour more easy to control as currently it's a bit unfinished in it's implementation. I can see for some it being weird but I can also see it as one of the unique selling point of the app compared to a DAW. More precise control over the cropping when it goes off the edge would be appreciated :)

I can see a bug where if my sample is pushed off to the right edge so that the end of the sample is coming in from the left side. If I try to shorten the crop with Grid snap on it has problems. But with no snap on, it's easier to control the overlapping.

@InfoCheck said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

Having the option seems to be the sensible thing....it will suit both sets of people and lead to a larger user base.

Exactly. If technically possible/feasible, they should certainly look at implementing this option.

Ain't gonna happen.

Since Retronyms targeted the app for looping, they may believe adding a non-looping mode may end up being too confusing for users. It doesn't hurt to ask for features you'd like to see in an app. It could be they just didn't anticipate users wanting to toggle wrap around on/off so they might decide it's a good idea to implement it.

Thanks, all suggestions have been noted for the devs. We'll see what happens.

What did they say regarding the auto wrapping? 'Yes we'll fix that', 'no, we like it like that', or 'that one's finished we're working on the other thing now'?

Sorry to rush you for an answer, but there's a short refund 'window' and this is a make or break issue for me.

We appreciate the enthusiasm and just a kind reminder that decisions like this aren't overnight. It would require a bit of work to implement such a feature and the devs will take some time to read through not only this suggestion but other suggestions as well. If we decide to implement such a feature, we'll be sure to let you know. So please don't let our decision making stop you in whatever you need to do if you decide you want a refund or not. Like someone mentioned, you can always re-buy later if its just not for you as it is now. I would rather you be happy with your decision than be frustrated as to whether or not a feature might be implemented.

Thanks again for giving us your feedback. It's very helpful to see how creative all of you are with Looperverse.

-Eric

Thanks for the reply Eric.

Apple doesn't let you re-purchase apps, it's a bit of a hassle - you have to 'gift' them to yourself.

Apart from the wrapping thing I think the app is great, so I'm going to try the workaround suggested by @carnbot and if it works I'll stick with it, and keep my fingers crossed for an update.

• I haven't had that problem having to gift it to myself. Sounds very weird...

• @Munibeast said:
    I haven't had that problem having to gift it to myself. Sounds very weird...

Happened to me when I tried rebuying an app a year or so ago - the option to buy was greyed out, but someone on here talked me through how to get it by gifting it via another account.

• Maybe just a glitch somewhere. It couldn't be meant to be like that. I once returned notion when I was disappointed because it was too buggy. Didn't have any problem repurchasing some months after.

• edited April 2017

@Carnbot said:
    I still think this is a great app. Not saying I wouldn't want more options but I think it's great for an initial release.
    Here's an example of how you can use multiply and crop if you want to go of the edges without wrapping (just using some random samples):

Say I want to move the top layer to the right and the bottom layer to the left without wrapping in this setup:

Hold down the multiply to expand the timeline by 100% or more if you want more etc
    Then I move the samples off the edges of the sample braces without worrying about the wraparound.

Then after I'm happy with the loop I press crop and the edges are trimmed away:

If I expand the timeline again I can see the edges are trimmed without having to use the trim handles:

When you work over a large timeline, you don't really ever need to think about the wrapping that much as you can just work between the loop markers and crop the whole timeline when you are finished.

Thanks for this, but this doesn't actually stop the wrapping, it just removes the bits outside the crop - if you move your clips you'll see the wrapped sections creeping back in again. Keeps it out of the way, but when you import audio clips, duplicate etc. it gets messy again.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:
    I still think this is a great app. Not saying I wouldn't want more options but I think it's great for an initial release.
    Here's an example of how you can use multiply and crop if you want to go of the edges without wrapping (just using some random samples):

Say I want to move the top layer to the right and the bottom layer to the left without wrapping in this setup:

Hold down the multiply to expand the timeline by 100% or more if you want more etc
    Then I move the samples off the edges of the sample braces without worrying about the wraparound.

Then after I'm happy with the loop I press crop and the edges are trimmed away:

If I expand the timeline again I can see the edges are trimmed without having to use the trim handles:

When you work over a large timeline, you don't really ever need to think about the wrapping that much as you can just work between the loop markers and crop the whole timeline when you are finished.

Thanks for this, but this doesn't actually stop the wrapping, it just removes the bits outside the crop - if you move your clips you'll see the wrapped sections creeping back in again.

This is so frustrating.

Yes nothing stops the wrapping behaviour. It's just a method of working with it so it's less obtrusive. I mean if you work on a large timeline you never have to notice it really. But I would probably prefer the way that if you extend your sample then another copy extends rather than the way it is currently.

• @wim said:

• Duplicating a clip multiple times requires too many clicks. You should just be able to hit a duplicate button multiple times until you're done. Or better yet drag a handle to duplicate as far as you want.

But, even without those, this is a great app!

Look in the settings menu under 'Appearance' and turn on the Tool Bar. It greatly facilitates rapid-fire editing for reverse, duplicate, split, and delete.

• I'm having a hard time understanding this app. It looked to be just what I'm looking for; a looper with an audio editor (which seems to be missing from all other iOS loopers).
    I record a lot of found sound, and enjoy finding small loopable parts within those sounds and build a layered loop around it. This works in Looperverse but not if you want to use the metronome to sync other apps. The manual states that the first recording you do (when everything has been cleared, and the metronome is off) sets the tempo. I'm guessing it also takes into concideration the meter you've set(?). This seems to work ok if your meter is 4/4, but when set to anything else it does not.

Am I simply missing something? Try recording something in 3/4 when everything is cleared, something simple like counting to three. Make sure it loops correctly and then turn on the metronome. Does it tick in 3/4 and the correct tempo?

As mentioned above it seems to work ok if you're in 4/4 but I wish there was a way to tell Looperverse how many bars the recorded material is instead of it guessing.

• @5pinlink said:

@kobamoto said:

@5pinlink said:
    To be fair this thread has stopped me even bothering with it, i dont like the advantages of touchscreen not being used and they had the opportunity to up the game of loopers to full loop sequencers here ALA Acid on the desktop, but while i could ignore that, no way could ignore the ability to turn off wrapping.

it's a conspiracy, everyone is afraid to create an ableton live/acid app for the iPad, even if it has been the number one request since the iPads inception.

There is definitely something going on, Acid was the second most sold DAW/Audio software on desktop only better by Music Maker by Magix who now own it haha

Ipad is sort of the perfect platform for it and nobody does it, very very strange scenario.

yep we are well pass the time, there should be a bunch of ableton session view clones on iOS, a bunch of monome clones with follow actions, and a bunch of acid clones. I thought auxy dev was going to do it but they'd rather jump off the roof of a very tall building than do what seems like a no brainer.

• @Blurgh said:
    I'm having a hard time understanding this app. It looked to be just what I'm looking for; a looper with an audio editor (which seems to be missing from all other iOS loopers).
    I record a lot of found sound, and enjoy finding small loopable parts within those sounds and build a layered loop around it. This works in Looperverse but not if you want to use the metronome to sync other apps. The manual states that the first recording you do (when everything has been cleared, and the metronome is off) sets the tempo. I'm guessing it also takes into concideration the meter you've set(?). This seems to work ok if your meter is 4/4, but when set to anything else it does not.

Am I simply missing something? Try recording something in 3/4 when everything is cleared, something simple like counting to three. Make sure it loops correctly and then turn on the metronome. Does it tick in 3/4 and the correct tempo?

As mentioned above it seems to work ok if you're in 4/4 but I wish there was a way to tell Looperverse how many bars the recorded material is instead of it guessing.

anybody got any ideas about Blurgh's situation?

• @kobamoto said:

@Blurgh said:
    I'm having a hard time understanding this app. It looked to be just what I'm looking for; a looper with an audio editor (which seems to be missing from all other iOS loopers).

anybody got any ideas about Blurgh's situation?

It doesn't have an option to set the number of bars for the first track, guess that's what he's struggling with.

• edited April 2017

This has been updated now. One of the fixes was supposed to be Midi learn on smaller screen iPhones. Unfortunately it still isn't possible to Midi learn play or stop because they aren't visible. So what exactly got fixed here @Retronyms?

• edited April 2017

So that was 1.1. Just found there's another update to 1.2. now which actually does fix the problem.

• @Blurgh said:

Can you give me some more details/steps on what you're doing? Im not sure understand what your experiencing.
    -Eric

• edited May 2017

@wim said:

Yeah, folks have been complaining about the lack of wrapping in blocs wave for a while.... I do see monzos point about the DAW like features though.

• edited May 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

Yeah, folks have been complaining about the lack of wrapping in blocs wave for a while.... I do see monzos point about the DAW like features though.

I can see how the wrapping is fine if you're doing one man band looping type stuff. But, it's got the UI of a basic DAW - which (in their super fast video) promises much more in the way of editing. A little DAW that loops.

Problem is, when you delve deep into editing - and start importing audio as well, the wrapping can get in the way and mess things up. Seems obvious to me that you'd have an option to turn this off for the fiddlers like me (and anyway it still works as a looper - you don't always want loops within a loop), and leave it on for the KT Tunstall wannabes.

But they've confirmed above this isn't on the cards and so as I'll never use it in its current form, and I didn't know about the wrapping (despite saying it's an important feature it's not shown in their vids), I got a refund - only my third in five years.

Big disappointment for me, as I thought this would be as useful to me as AUM or AudioShare. Shame. I'm sure it does the job for others though.

• So far it really works for me since I've learned to work around the limited editing options by using AudioShare and TwistedWave and also AudioCopy app which works a lot better now. Having Audiobus support is sooooo awesome! But for quick audio Looping recording it really shines thru for me especially on the iPhone SE.

• edited June 2017

When I export as stems, the individual stems are messed up. Is anybody else having this problem?

When I say messed up, I mean that the wavs start in the middle and some weird edit thing happens near the end. Not sure if this has something to do with the crop/grid snap settings but I basically just jammed over a sample I liked, got a good groove going and wanted to export to desktop for further editing but when I unzipped the file, it was messed up.

Sorry in advance if this is a known bug as I haven't read through the entire thread.

EDIT: Okay, just read the last few pages of this thread and I see there's a lot of heated disussion regarding the wrapping. Is this causing the messed up exported loops? When I do an export and audiocopy, the loop is fine. It's only when I do export to stems, connect phone to macbook, use ifunbox to pull the zip file, unzip the zip file, click on the individual loops and they're messed up

• Hi

Very thanks of your nice and perfect app ( LOOPERVERSE ) with usefull options : ATR mode and midi learn .
    But Why looperverse doesn't support virtual midi input ? It just support Bluetooth and cable midi input for midi learn .
    I have a irig blueboard device,that it can connect to ipad through Bluetooth and connect just to blueboard app and through this app can send midi cc's or midi program change messages to the other apps through virtual midi port. Irig blueboard device can't sending midi message itself singly for connecting to midi learn of looperverse.
    If looperverse app could support virtual midi input , we can send midi cc's messages through other apps that can send midi cc's to looperverse app for controlling transport with automation form . For example from cubasis to looperverse.

Very thanks of you if answer or help me .

Best
    Pejman

• Hi
    I have a steinberg ur 242 interface sound card that it has 4 channels analog input .but in input source of looperverse in stereo section, there is channel 1 +2. And there is channel 2+3 instead of 3+4 .

2: in mono section there is channel 1 . Channel 2 . Channel 3 . Channel 4 . But I can't select channel 3 , or channel 4 .

Very thank if answer or help me

Best
    Pejman

Ipad air 2 128 gig
    iOS 9.3.5
    Camera connection kit
    Looperverse version 1.2

• @pejman said:
    Hi

Very thanks of your nice and perfect app ( LOOPERVERSE ) with usefull options : ATR mode and midi learn .
    But Why looperverse doesn't support virtual midi input ? It just support Bluetooth and cable midi input for midi learn .
    I have a irig blueboard device,that it can connect to ipad through Bluetooth and connect just to blueboard app and through this app can send midi cc's or midi program change messages to the other apps through virtual midi port. Irig blueboard device can't sending midi message itself singly for connecting to midi learn of looperverse.
    If looperverse app could support virtual midi input , we can send midi cc's messages through other apps that can send midi cc's to looperverse app for controlling transport with automation form . For example from cubasis to looperverse.

Best
    Pejman

There's a firmware update for the BlueBoard that adds Bluetooth LE MIDI which doesn't require the BlueBoard app and makes it show up as Bluetooth midi device in apps that support it.

• @Munibeast said:

There's a firmware update for the BlueBoard that adds Bluetooth LE MIDI which doesn't require the BlueBoard app and makes it show up as Bluetooth midi device in apps that support it.

Where is the firmware update??

• @pejman said:

@Munibeast said:

http://bfy.tw/CIUQ

• edited June 2017

@Munibeast said:

@pejman said:

@Munibeast said:

Hi
    That's great
    Very very thanks of you for helping
    But a question. Can I every time that I need, switch or reinstall to previous version? ( switch between BTLE midi and normal mode ( depending on blueboard app ) every time )
    Because the new update has a few limitations such as calibration expression pedal and pc , and sending to special channel.

• @pejman said:

@Munibeast said:

@pejman said:

@Munibeast said:

Hi
    That's great
    Very very thanks of you for helping
    But a question. Can I every time that I need, switch or reinstall to previous version? ( switch between BTLE midi and normal mode ( depending on blueboard app ) every time )
    Because the new update has a few limitations such as calibration expression pedal and pc , and sending to special channel.

You can select the mode by holding down the A or the B button while powering up the pedal. A is the old one and B is Bluetooth LE mode.

• @gjcyrus said:
    When I export as stems, the individual stems are messed up. Is anybody else having this problem?

When I say messed up, I mean that the wavs start in the middle and some weird edit thing happens near the end. Not sure if this has something to do with the crop/grid snap settings but I basically just jammed over a sample I liked, got a good groove going and wanted to export to desktop for further editing but when I unzipped the file, it was messed up.

Sorry in advance if this is a known bug as I haven't read through the entire thread.

EDIT: Okay, just read the last few pages of this thread and I see there's a lot of heated disussion regarding the wrapping. Is this causing the messed up exported loops? When I do an export and audiocopy, the loop is fine. It's only when I do export to stems, connect phone to macbook, use ifunbox to pull the zip file, unzip the zip file, click on the individual loops and they're messed up

I would like to hear your stems compared to your AudioCopy of those stems along with a screenshot of the Scene. Can you send this to me at [email protected]?

-Eric

@pejman said:
    Hi

Best
    Pejman

Im not sure if Blueboard will work with Looperverse MIDI learn or not, but did you connect it directly to the app using the BTLE/Pedal setting in the looperverse app settings?
    -Eric

• @Retronyms said:

@gjcyrus said:

I would like to hear your stems compared to your AudioCopy of those stems along with a screenshot of the Scene. Can you send this to me at [email protected]?

-Eric

@pejman said:
    Hi

Best
    Pejman

Im not sure if Blueboard will work with Looperverse MIDI learn or not, but did you connect it directly to the app using the BTLE/Pedal setting in the looperverse app settings?
    -Eric

Right, I actually hadn't tried the BlueBoard with Looperverse until now. It looks like Looperverse doesn't accept MIDI notes, which is what the Blueboard sends in BT LE mode. So it would be really great if you added that functionality to MIDI learn notes as well as CCs, @Retronyms!

• Does Looperverse slave to MIDI clock? I know Link is light years better, but am wondering if I could slave it to a non-ableton DAW on a computer, where midi clock is the only sync option (or possibly MTC, but no ipad apps seem to use that). So far Loopy is the only looper I've found that will slave to the clock.

• @Munibeast said:

@Retronyms said:

@gjcyrus said:

-Eric

@pejman said:
    Hi

Best
    Pejman

-Eric

Right, I actually hadn't tried the BlueBoard with Looperverse until now. It looks like Looperverse doesn't accept MIDI notes, which is what the Blueboard sends in BT LE mode. So it would be really great if you added that functionality to MIDI learn notes as well as CCs, @Retronyms!

Is this what happened to you when you directly connected Blueboard to Looperverse without using the Blueboard app? Looperverse accepts MIDI over bluetooth but you have to use MIDI learn too once you have connected your device, did you try that too? The Looperverse pedal we designed does this but has pre-assigned MIDI Learn functions.

Another option you might want to try is an app like this:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/link-to-midi/id1066216595?mt=8

That might help you bridge the virtual MIDI between Blueboard's app and Looperverse. I haven't tried it, but give it a shot and see if you can get it to work.
    -Eric

@Processaurus said:
    Does Looperverse slave to MIDI clock? I know Link is light years better, but am wondering if I could slave it to a non-ableton DAW on a computer, where midi clock is the only sync option (or possibly MTC, but no ipad apps seem to use that). So far Loopy is the only looper I've found that will slave to the clock.

Currently all we have is Ableton LINK so I don't think that is possible.
    -Eric