Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Different Drummer on the Bus Video Review, Demo and Tutorial

15678911»

Comments

• Customers...rest assured, nothing will stop me from improving Different Drummer. I apologize for each and every bug and crash and have already fixed several so anything that can be reproduced, please share. I like to think of the price as crowd funding where instead of begging for a startup donation, we give you some cool though imperfect software with tons of free upgrades to come in exchange for your support. It probably will work out to like 5 bucks per version. The final price will be based on a Calculus derivative and a patent pending...TBD. Cheers and thanks to our partners.

• edited April 2013

@Solador78 That view is all fine and good, but don't lower yourself to the other persons level to prove your point, you come off with a direct agenda to attack the Dev....it's not right and several other ppl have said the same whether you think what he is doing is right or wrong, let the other people decide, they're big boys and girls and its their money. You are making yourself look bad for it, honestly. Just being straight with you.

• The truth never would have come out if i didnt act like a jerk. I gave this thread plenty of time for it to work itself out and it never did. If i didn't troll his emotions, he wouldn't have been so careless with his puppets. I don't need you to agree with me but it is what it is.

• SolaDude...your accusations are offensive and baseless and you will surely see a sign soon that will clue you...get a grip. It reflects poorly on you and you are not the defender of the meek and downtrodden app buyers of the world nor will what you are doing add a new positive idea for how drums and melodies can be generated. Time for you to head into the desert and seek the nearest shaman for some further attitude adjustment, but first you need to dismount your high horse...or your Segway or whatever you are riding and chill. Peace.

• I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you, I think there is a way to go about stuff like this and I don't think "act like a jerk" is it. I don't agree with how TechneMedia has handled everything either. I was just stating that I think it hurts your argument by acting like that. Please don't think I'm attacking you, I'm not the forum police just sharing my thoughts. Would you like to have been treated the way you treated him?There I go being all moral again...

• Off to a more productive thread. Depressing.

• edited April 2013

I would like to appeal to Sebastian to now close this thread....as it has lost the er thread so to speak..If I could close it I would have when things started to shift to the personal..

• Haha I said that two pages and was thinking the same again. It's gotten unproductive.

• If the thread dont close I'm gonna highjack it.....here we go .......ALCHEMY..ALCHEMY..COMING SOON .........

• I want it so bad!!!! Haha

• I know man..I keep playing it thinking..I can put that here and that there with a bit Drumjam here and iMini there....ALCHEMY..ALCHEMY WERE FOR ART THOU ALCHEMY...

• COME HITHER TO THE LAND OF DAS AUDIOBUS AND JOIN IN OUR GREAT NATION AND FIGHT WITH US......SPARTAAAAAA.....EH CRAP......ALCHEMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!!!!

• NO I'M ALCHEMY....NO I'M........

• One of the most ridiculous threads EVER!!! This is all I'm going to say...the dev was nice enough to give me a promo code, I tried it out and have my own opinions of it, but am not going to get into a pissing match here on what I thought was a fairly mature acting forum. I'm not going to bash the app or the dev...but I WILL say this...if you think the price is too high, you're probably right. If you have cash to throw around, get it and form your own opinion on the matter. Personally, I thought Auria was and IS way overpriced. I also thought the same thing about Cubasis at first but my opinion changed shortly after and I really like that app. Will I ever use DD in my workflow? Probably not....but that's just me. Personally, I don't find a need for it with what I do...however, that's not to say that someone else won't. Realistically, I don't have the time to spend learning all the ins and outs of DD, especially when I already have a system that works well for me. I found myself spending more time trying to learn how to create a track (which I never really was able to grasp) than actually making tracks. I guess I went into this with the idea that I would be able to create something exactly how I wanted it to be instead of hoping it would generate something I could possibly use....needless to say, I wasn't able to accomplish either task. I hope I'm not stepping on toes here...I'm just telling it how I see it. One thing for sure....it definitely is a Different Drummer. @technemedia please believe me when I say I mean no disrespect to you or your efforts, but I honestly could not find a way to compliment my musical ability, or the abilities of the app while trying to incorporate it in a structured composition. I had really hoped I could.

• edited April 2013

I really don't understand why everyone is afraid of offending the dev.

This is what he posted about the Audiobus community:

"Ok guys.can't stand this kind of attititude.who the hell are you to talk this way?i'm gonna get out of this forum and quickly.where is your music?you'd better spend time creating,composing music instead of waiting which app will be the next on audiobus.all music i've heard on this forum is not very glorious.go back to your lessons guys."

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/750/different-drummer#Item_12

He's not talking to me... he's talking about all of you. i'm not even in that thread.

• Whoa wtf?? dont close this thread! Otherwise im just gonna start another thread for DD tips and tricks.

@technemedia - as one of the few fans of ur app on this thread, I really need those sample waves to just make a simple beat. Maybe having some general presets online or wherever or i dunno if this is possible but having like a normal drum pad on there that could be played like other drum apps but then they would automatically create the waves based on what was played, then tweak from there. The twilight zone on LSD with tribal drumming was cool at first but i want to start using it on actual songs, or if you at least had midi as I could have the underlying beat from another app to juxtapose with DD rhythms.

one more feature request, if you could somehow edit the start point of any sample imported into DD, that would save a lot of time.

@solador78 - damn dude, ur out to get this guy. Regaring truyorky, hes real man. He challenged me when I criticized electrify when i didnt know how to use it and that was waaay before this thread ever started. As for groundbreaking examples, im too lazy to find it right now but it mightve been on the 1st or 2nd page of this thread where Techne posted a soundcloud clip of some guy rapping/whispering. the lyrics kinda got cheesy near the end but the beginning was cool. Unless you know how to do tribal rhythms on an actual floor tom, or possibly impaktor, NO OTHER app could do that dude. Is it worth $50, well if youre doing house, hip hop or electro or most electronic styles, probably not but the guy has a right to sell it for whatever. For the record i also like protein der klang but cmon, abletons been doin that shit for years. aint nothing new about that other than we can now do it on an ipad.

as for vio, you can get the same effect with improvox. ive also got voice synth as well which relates to a point earlier i tried to make. in the past i wouldve bought vio along with improvox and boice synth but now, why? they all similar things. just like a bunch of drum apps. so actually i have cut myself off from buying any new apps for a while (i really wanted that dandy one) but im forcing myself to master this app.

• edited April 2013

Ok my final example to post.. I wasn't going to but since its prob the best and most normal thing I've gotten out if it i will. I was just tapping the randomize but for each the kick, snare, hihat, and clap and got this. It progresses in 3 stages. This will be my final example that I post.

• edited April 2013

I was hoping for a ,' and they all lived happily ever after' ending.
    DD aint the golden goose.may become the swan,but at the moment it's the ugly ducking.
    I would like it to succeed tho,cuz I think it's a good idea and I feel that's what it's dev is sold on,(his idea).
    when I see other forum members fork out and embrace/take the risk,I feel weak and small in comparison... I've no doubt they'll come up with the goods.

But with regards to technemedias soundcloud post of DD,I'm not feeling it and even if you put DD in the $10 price bracket, there's still other apps I'd buy first.

For me I'm done with this thread...cuz I love music.

• edited April 2013

There's only one reason Captain Haddock acts like a jerk...

• Thanks everybody...I will go on to create a better tool and a forum for DD users, thanks AudioBus. I guarantee if you spend more time with DD, the more you will get from it. Can you imagine walking up to a guitar for the first time and because you couldn't make any good music in 2 hours, you quit? All music would then officially suck if that mentality prevailed. I get that people, myself included like grid tools for drums and I even made one in 1990 called Rhythm Maker on Amiga. I might add a gridify and loop funtion that could get the best of both worlds but it will remain Different. I'm an instrument maker and my goal (desire) is to produce a pure timeless method (regardless of present UI details) that can be a standard in the future after its embedded into hardware. In this case the software version came first. Thanks again to my customers.

• edited April 2013

If you were to add "gridify" (aka quantize) that would correct your broken apps' fundamental design flaw and we could live happily ever after. Great idea! Looking forward to the update (seriously).

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/896/tips-and-tricks-only-different-drummer#Item_3

• Hey...I'm listening to ALL you guys even if you are 'tough' on me...plus I get good ideas all the time and my objective is to keep improving one step at a time...sometimes it takes a step back too as I apparently broke some things that were working when adding the AB functionality (no fault of AB, just stuff fell through the cracks) so I'm looking into that for 1.5.1 and then 1.6 hope to add landscape and Grid Edit/Loop option and maybe sawtooth...which Will be cool. Thanks.

• Thumbs up!

• Oh no, I may have to start saving for 1.6 LOL. But hopefully at a pricepoint of x =<$50, in line w your math references @techmedia. :-)

One of the most epic threads I've ever read! Glad to see it turning out to be a reflection of coolness in the end. Peace!

• @AQ808 said:
    I'm taking note of who admits to buying this thing to call them out if they ever complain about an actual high quality app at $5-$10 bucks. :)

Crazy to see people break for this, but it suggests they are very unsatisfied with their own musicality, which as a guitar player, I've seen happen time and again, as people who want to be players focus entirely on their gear, thinking it will be the magic ingredient or device which will make them a musician out of the clear blue.

I also have to mention, that buying this app at this price only hurts the ios music-making community, because it will inspire others to raise their prices on all of us with no requisite rise in quality. If I could influence anyone thinking of buying this at all, I'd really suggest you buy 10 high quality apps you've been holding out on at $5, or 5 at $10 instead of this.

Not that my opinion should matter to anyone, just thought I'd throw it in.

@Hmtx said:
    Very interesting results.

My perception on pricing for DD, having watched iOS music for the past year:

As is, it's worth $10-15. It has value as a configurable, extremely unique way to create rhythms, with essentials like MIDI out, Audiobus, user sample import.

To be worth $30 (max), it would have to be the absolute leader in drum/ rhythm creation on iOS. This would include:

1. What it already has, which is a highly innovative way to create rhythms that are unique.

2. killer MIDI implementation: assignable instrument MIDI out per channel, recording MIDI patterns, MIDI editing grid, MIDI export... or at least most of these functions, if not all.

3. Multi-track output to an Audiobus DAW. This would set it way above any other drum app, and make it worth the $10-20 premium over other drum apps.

4. a great UI that is intuitive and easy to learn. Creating a simply great user experience seems to be a rare skill in iOS music and this would add a lot of value. People want to be able to make great music intuitively and quickly. (note: I can't tell how well DD does this currently, but I have seen a lot of comments about it taking a lot of time to learn the nuances of getting great results)

5. EDIT: had to add one thing: of course, 24bit/ 96khz processing is a must for a top tier (>$30) iOS app

Now, what constitues a $50 music app? I would say Cubasis and Auria set the standard, being a iOS ported version of a well-respected studio DAW, and an highly capable iOS only DAW. If we're comparing the iOS ecosystem to the PC ecosystem, these are the equivalents of $400 -600 studio DAWs.

So I don't at all understand the approach of creating a "killer drum pattern VST" and then pricing it so a 60% off sale makes it the same price as studio DAWs... Thats crazy talk. And that's what it seems DD is trying to do, except on iOS.

Anyway, i figured I'm entitled to voice my opinion since my April 21st comment brought @technemedia a lot of PR and got @thesoundtestroom a free cool drum app. I do hope for great success for both of you.

and no, I'm not in the market for this app ;) But I wanted to get the truth out on an app surrounded by a lot of mystique, and it seems to have worked.

• I'm new to the famous AB forum. What really gets my goat! is in the app reviews. The amount of 5* reviews is just costing people money. I've brought a few apps on the say so of some of these reviews. AB, Cubasis, Auria Pro (with all the plug in add on I.A.Ps...very confusing but then I am a bit thick!) and maybe 3 or 4 apps like the iM1 or Tone Stack could get 5* on a generous day. (I'm a guitarist who writes Industrial acoustic (there's a new GENitalRAsh...I hate the CAP word. And why isn't it pronounced Gen-re?)).
    I now don't take any notice of the 1 & 5* reviews. Often people get purchase an app and 'Get it to work', write "I've just got this ?synth? and it's amazing" and give it 5* cos it works! Or give it 1* because they can't get it to work maybe because they have to write something themselves BIG RED BUTTON doesn't give an immediate No.1 hit. I only post this because people on iOS often have no little choice. People I'm sure will be aware of reviewers. Firejan82. I know she (I get the feeling fj82 is female) means well and much respect to her for reviewing for people, but the review then gets deemed irrelevant when EVERY APP fj82 has reviewed (at least 30 5* reviews and no 4,3,2or1* reviews...a 100% record) is top marks. It's like comparing Bangladesh and Germany in football.
    Jamis

• Whoa. Just read through this whole thread from 2013, epic. I bought DD a year or two ago when it went under 20€ and have to say I think it's something special...