Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tone generators

Comments

• I like the very simple interface. exactly what I want for a tone generator. thanks for doing this.

• edited March 2014

• @Simon: Good idea! ;)

I'll submit it today.

• Impressive!!!

• Ok, done! It's called "The Oscillator" and is now waiting for review.
    Lets hope apple reviewers will approve it soon.

• Fuckin a @j_liljedahl! Congrats on the submission.

• Ha this is crazy....apps while you wait !!!

• What's next, drive thru apps?

• Would you like fries with your app sir?

• Having just read the whole of the DD thread this almost did for me. Had to get a glass of water to aid recovery :)

@simon wrote

"I hope you call this new app "Different Toner" and charge $150 for it :-) "

• I hope you'll like it! This was a good opportunity for me to learn new stuff and write some good reusable code for later projects.

BTW, here's the icon: http://t.co/7QJylYyNwY

• And here's a drone I just recorded by overdubbing it into AudioShare:

• Looking and sounding great. I have ideas already for it.

• Good job Jonatan! :)

• Sweet. Downloaded. Will post a track very soon with it. Thanks again for whipping this up.

• edited May 2013

here's a short track of what i was thinking with this app. a bit of caution. its very loud and very harsh. speakers beware.

i'm using The Oscillator into JamUp XT into AudioShare.

• Wow! Congrats.

• edited May 2013

Great app - thanks j_liljedahl. Already with the requests - it would be great to have a start/stop button somewhere in the interface as well as on the audiobus panel. And the bees knees would be to be able to type and enter frequencies or even standard note names like here, rather than having to scroll the values. I am using it like:
    Oscillator > Turnado > Cubasis, so it's running constantly in real time so I can modify the frequencies. And then the bees ankles would be 3, count 'em, 3 oscillators. And a side of fries ;).

• edited March 2014

• I have no idea how I would use Oscillator, or even what it is, but I want to buy it just because of the story.

Now that's customer service... Or love of the game... Or just plain being good people :-)

• I'm going with love of the game. Just cause.

• There's something to be said for lightweight Apps on Audiobus. Too easy to hit the wall with heavyweights like Magellan and Sunrizer and iMini. especially if all one wants is a good drone.

MIDI with that? Simple needs, just Virtual MIDI in and note number, on and off, no need to support all the other stuff or be promiscuous, I'd use MidiBridge to get to it.

Meanwhile, thanks, have some control over it with the track volume at the recorder end. Midi Studio feeding the Oscillator Volume in BM2. Dandy.

• I made the app because there was a need for a very simple Audiobus compatible tone generator, and because it was a good opportunity for me to learn some new stuff and write some reusable code that I can use in later projects too. And of course, it was fun to try to make a simple but good quality app in minimum time :)

Regarding the feature requests, I will probably keep this app as simple as possible (and cheap). There is a start/stop (mute) button in the info-menu, but yeah it would make sense to have it in the main interface and in the Audiobus control panel.

I could add a label that displays the pitch as midi note number.

On iPad, all three modules are visible at the same time, so I would have to make the whole page scrollable to fit another oscillator.. I'll think about that.

BTW, maybe it would make sense to change the number-stepper-controls so that scrolling them changes the decimals (for fine tune) and the arrow buttons adjusts in whole numbers?

• I find it difficult in most apps to do precise fine adjustments using scrolling as the touch position tends to jump when removing the finger from the screen. If anything, fine adjust with arrows is easier. Perhaps short touch for fine and long touch or scroll for coarse?

• I'm a fan of apps that slow your roll the further away from the control you drag. Check out loopy's volume control. If you start to drag it, then move your finger a few inches away and then drag left/right you get very fine control. This might just be a byproduct of circular movements, pi and all that jazz. I dunno. it's handy though.

• Not sure jazz has much to do with it. I think the formula is actually pi*(r&b)^2

• Pretty sure pi*(r&b)^2 was Eric Dolphy's finest work.