Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are you subscribing to Logic Pro?

Comments

• @realdawei said:

@HotStrange said:

@monz0id said:
    I’ve spent a lot of time with this over the last few days, but unfortunately the cons outweight the pro's, so I won't be continuing with the subscription.

Pros:

• I like the main arrangement section - being able to move chunks of audio and MIDI around, loop etc. is great.
    • FX - some really unique fx included, coupled with my own it's an incredible amount of stuff to play with.
    • Mixing section is great, and nice to see most of my tracks without scrolling.
    • Recording loop performances into the timeline was fun.
    • Pinching the screen to be able to see all my tracks is great too.

Cons:

• Just me it seems who's bothered by this, but I don't like the slide-over workaround to get my own audio in and out. As I'll be doing this a lot, it's a real workflow killer.
    • The lack of naturtal instruments - a real paltry selection.
    • Un-natural playing surfaces - I want to play 'Studio Strings' like stringed instruments. You can't, they're fixed so there's no sliding of notes. There's less options for performance and expression than there is in the free GarageBand.
    • Lack of automation support for many of my AUv3 apps.
    • Performance - I've noticed things are starting to slow down on my Air 4 as I'm stacking up the tracks and instruments. To be expected on an older device, but it's a potential issue when building finished tracks.

I can see how it's a gem of a thing for most users, but for me, the workflow cludges and limitations mean it would get limited use and not worth the £50 per year cost.

Frustrating - because as I've said above, I really like the main editing and mixing options. If they fix the things that bother me I'll grab it, but for now it's not ticking my boxes.

I have to believe more natural playing surfaces would be added in an update soon. Makes no sense not to include it and it’s weird they left that out considering it’s in GB. As far as the instruments themselves, I’d like to see some more added but I’m very happy with the quality of what’s included. The strings/horns and electric pianos especially.

I would really like a Studio Woodwinds plugin. I hope they have that planned. The strings/brass are really good!

That would be the icing on the cake! Here’s hoping they’ll bring it soon 🤞

• @monz0id said:

@HotStrange said:
    I have to believe more natural playing surfaces would be added in an update soon. Makes no sense not to include it and it’s weird they left that out considering it’s in GB. As far as the instruments themselves, I’d like to see some more added but I’m very happy with the quality of what’s included. The strings/horns and electric pianos especially.

Not enough for me unfortunately, and I just want the playing surfaces to work as they're supposed to with the selected instrument. It seems you can slide notes in the keyboard option, so it seems it's possible, so if more people like me raise this as a useful feature request - rather than saying everything is absolutely brilliant as it is - then maybe it'll get an update. Otherwise they won't bother.

Agreed. Also it’s weird you can’t slide notes on the fret board. It picks each note individually at the fret which is stable behavior for a guitar playing surface as you’d want to play both ways in real life. It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but it’s something I certainly would like fixed/implemented.

• I just downloaded Logic this morning and started the 30 day trial.

I don’t what the final answer is going to be, but for now it’s “probably.” The UI is a little absurd, but I’m very conscious of how much they had to pack into this form factor. The subscription model is unfortunate, but not onerous. The packs are a very mixed bag. I could do without all the loops. The instruments are limited in many ways, but oddly deep in others… like that clav thing that lets you select pickups. And it loads all the AUs, so that’s not a major limiting factor.

I like to have a lot of platform options. Different things inspire different musics. The features in this suggest different workflows than, for instance, those even of Cubasis (its closest functional sibling). And while AUM seems to be my headspace more than any other composition environment, I know I need to shift into DAW method sometimes… maybe to finalize a mix, maybe even to compose more linearly.

So we’ll see. It certainly displaces nothing for now. And it may yet become a habit of its own.

• I’m changing my vote to “not for me” after a few more days of use. It’s impressive how much they managed to port from the desktop version, but the workflow and all the navigation needed for certain tasks just is not for me.

Glad it’s out for people into that sort of thing though. I think if I was just getting into making music and Logic Pro was my first DAW app I’d be a lot more into it.

• Will not buy/subscribe until I have a compatible ipad :D

• @el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Curious, but do we lack an AUv3 MIDI fx app as a control surface?
    An app who could change UI so it could simulate both pianoplaying, fiddle, harmonica, guitar, trumpet and so on…

There's a few existing instruments that do some of these things - ThumbJam, GeoShred, Steel Guitar, FingerFiddle etc., and some send MIDI out. But as I've discovered with a GeoShred/Studio Strings combo, it doesn't always seem to work, so I guess a developer would be battling against whether the target app supports their MIDI controller. Not sure how you'd emulate wind surfaces, mind.

GarageBand does traditional instrumentation playability stuff really well, I just hope Logic catches up with it at some point.

In the Reaktor (desktop) User Library, there’re some modelled wind instrument ensembles that can be used with breath controllers, but that also have the option for breath to be controlled by the modulation wheel. Works really well.

Ah right, I’ve got NI so I’ll take a look.

https://www.native-instruments.com/es/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/all/all/all/all/chet singer/latest/1/all/?q=chet singer&t=userlib

Also, check out the MW bowing in his 'Serenade' ensemble:

It is really painful hearing this demo. It’s just bad bowing technique. This is one of the problems with modeled instruments… the more accurate the simulation, the easier it is to sound terrible playing the instrument if you don’t know what you’re doing.

• @NeuM said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    An app who could change UI so it could simulate both pianoplaying, fiddle, harmonica, guitar, trumpet and so on…

There's a few existing instruments that do some of these things - ThumbJam, GeoShred, Steel Guitar, FingerFiddle etc., and some send MIDI out. But as I've discovered with a GeoShred/Studio Strings combo, it doesn't always seem to work, so I guess a developer would be battling against whether the target app supports their MIDI controller. Not sure how you'd emulate wind surfaces, mind.

GarageBand does traditional instrumentation playability stuff really well, I just hope Logic catches up with it at some point.

In the Reaktor (desktop) User Library, there’re some modelled wind instrument ensembles that can be used with breath controllers, but that also have the option for breath to be controlled by the modulation wheel. Works really well.

https://www.native-instruments.com/es/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/all/all/all/all/chet singer/latest/1/all/?q=chet singer&t=userlib

It is really painful hearing this demo. It’s just bad bowing technique. This is one of the problems with modeled instruments… the more accurate the simulation, the easier it is to sound terrible playing the instrument if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Yes! But I guess, depending on the use-case, many listeners aren't going to be able to tell.

• @el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Yes! But I guess, depending on the use-case, many listeners aren't going to be able to tell.

I think you’re probably right about that. Oh, man… my ears are bleeding. LOL.

• @NeuM said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Nothing that a little added Blackhole or Alteza couldn't soothe ;)

• edited May 2023

@NeuM said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

I think the issue is the bowing action, as on the FingerFiddle - you can only do short movements with the bow, rather than being able to include long, slow movements as a 'real' violinist would do.

So in these examples, it's because they're not totally accurate simulations that it doesn't work.

A slideable fingerboard using the 'sustain' or other articulation settings already present in Logic would do the job.

• @el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@el_bo said:

@NeuM said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Nothing that a little added Blackhole or Alteza couldn't soothe ;)

Maybe some 60 grit sandpaper… 😂

• @garden said:

I like to have a lot of platform options. Different things inspire different musics.

I think ultimately this is what’s going to get me to yes. I don’t really like sub software but at the end of the day, it’s not a lot of money to me. A year subscription is less than dinner for 2 at some mediocre chain restaurant. And there are a lot of fun and inspiring things in this app that are different from what I already have and use. I think there are enough of those to make it worth having even if it doesn’t have every feature I want at this point. And I think it will be pretty exciting to be along for the ride as we see what gets added in future releases.

• @SuperNiCd said:

@garden said:

I like to have a lot of platform options. Different things inspire different musics.

I think ultimately this is what’s going to get me to yes. I don’t really like sub software but at the end of the day, it’s not a lot of money to me. A year subscription is less than dinner for 2 at some mediocre chain restaurant. And there are a lot of fun and inspiring things in this app that are different from what I already have and use. I think there are enough of those to make it worth having even if it doesn’t have every feature I want at this point. And I think it will be pretty exciting to be along for the ride as we see what gets added in future releases.

I have to imagine that some interesting update will come out before June 23rd just in time before the initial trial ends.

My guess:
    1) another producer pack
    2) a parameter skin for Sampler
    3) multi file drag and drop

• @realdawei said:

@SuperNiCd said:

@garden said:

I have to imagine that some interesting update will come out before June 23rd just in time before the initial trial ends.

My guess:
    1) another producer pack

Export MIDI is also very important although there’s a workaround that can fix it for now…

Alchemy Alchemy Alchemy, we need the real Alchemy!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@realdawei said:

@SuperNiCd said:

@garden said:

My guess:
    1) another producer pack

Export MIDI is also very important although there’s a workaround that can fix it for now…

Might take an M3 chip before we get total parity between iPadOS and macOS versions of Logic Pro. ;)

• @monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Would be very handy to have a list of all the instruments that are truly mpe. Anyone know if there is one?

• I'm hoping more devs fix the compatibility issues, esp with AU automation. It's pretty hit or miss depending on the AU.

Converting midi or pattern cells into arrangement is my favorite feature. Also splitting drum patterns into individual ones is super handy.

• @auxmux said:
    I'm hoping more devs fix the compatibility issues, esp with AU automation. It's pretty hit or miss depending on the AU.

Converting midi or pattern cells into arrangement is my favorite feature. Also splitting drum patterns into individual ones is super handy.

Maybe I’m stupid, but, what do you mean with “ Converting midi or pattern cells into arrangement is my favorite feature”?

• @Gavinski said:

Would be very handy to have a list of all the instruments that are truly mpe. Anyone know if there is one?

In Logic? Any synth that supports MIDI Mono Mode is compatible with MPE. For Logic on the Mac that's Alchemy, EFM1, ES2, Quick Sampler, Retro Synth, Sampler, Sculpture, and Vintage Clav.

Explanation here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcp8f599497/mac

• edited May 2023

@ErrkaPetti said:

@auxmux said:
    I'm hoping more devs fix the compatibility issues, esp with AU automation. It's pretty hit or miss depending on the AU.

Maybe I’m stupid, but, what do you mean with “ Converting midi or pattern cells into arrangement is my favorite feature”?

There's a button with a R on top of pattern view. Click that and hit record. Then start jamming. Your patterns will be recorded to timeline view.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@realdawei said:

@SuperNiCd said:

@garden said:

My guess:
    1) another producer pack

Full Alchemy important indeed , as I can’t now really use a desktop , using it very few time my MacBook Air with only Logic Mac I am waiting some updates to decide to sell my Mac book Air to buy IPad Pro powerful ones and do all only on Ipad. Health problems make me difficult to use mouse or conventional keyboards to type.

• @monz0id said:

Cons:

• Just me it seems who's bothered by this, but I don't like the slide-over workaround to get my own audio in and out. As I'll be doing this a lot, it's a real workflow killer.

It is not just you. This should have a dedicated browser with preview. This was a dealbreaker for me too.

• @auxmux said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@auxmux said:

There's a button with a R on top of pattern view. Click that and hit record. Then start jamming. Your patterns will be recorded to timeline view.

Ok - I’ll will give it a try tonight… Thanks!

• @AlanC3 said:

@Gavinski said:

In Logic? Any synth that supports MIDI Mono Mode is compatible with MPE. For Logic on the Mac that's Alchemy, EFM1, ES2, Quick Sampler, Retro Synth, Sampler, Sculpture, and Vintage Clav.

Explanation here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcp8f599497/mac

Thanks for that!

• @Gavinski said:

@AlanC3 said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks for that!

However, I still found in my experiments with Sculpture (one of the only internal instruments I’ve spent much time with til now), that poly pitch bend is not up to scratch. Snap to note is too aggressive. I’ve mentioned this in a few threads. Do you know a way to alter this?

• @BerlinFx said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@realdawei said:

@SuperNiCd said:

@garden said:

My guess:
    1) another producer pack

Full Alchemy important indeed , as I can’t now really use a desktop , using it very few time my MacBook Air with only Logic Mac I am waiting some updates to decide to sell my Mac book Air to buy IPad Pro powerful ones and do all only on Ipad. Health problems make me difficult to use mouse or conventional keyboards to type.

Yes…Pretty disappointed by how many times I’m getting this message:

We really want complete ‘pro’ logic. It’s not there yet, hoping it will be, and soon

• @Gavinski said:

Yes…Pretty disappointed by how many times I’m getting this message:

We really want complete ‘pro’ logic. It’s not there yet, hoping it will be, and soon

I think it will come but it will be a massive parameter hell on iPad unless they do a complete re-design of it...

• I subscribed for a year, there’s just way too much on offer to boycott it because of the subscription model. Of course it would be nice to just buy things outright but with software you never truly “own” it anyway.

The success of streaming services like Netflix, online shopping like Amazon Prime & all of the streaming music services, etc. have made the subscription model attractive to companies of all sorts. It’s just the way it is.

My biggest gripe with Garage Band was how awkward it was to use as a DAW (the unwieldy menus to get to plugins, etc.) but I always dug the sounds & playing surfaces. While some of the workflow isn’t perfect (the plugin tiles are going to take some time to get used to) Logic for iPad is absolutely NOT Garage Band Pro.

I wish there was a way to still use Inter-App Audio apps but as I say, time marches on I guess.

• What I found in manual (p.51):

“If you cancel your subscription, you’ll continue to have full access to all Logic Pro features until the end of your billing period. After your billing period ends, you’ll still be able to preview your projects in the Projects screen and export projects and their source media, but all other functionality will be limited until you resubscribe. “

So, after canceling the subscription, you’ll still be able to preview and export projects!

• Well, despite the fact that I detest subscriptions I will buy LP...