Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

1151617181921»

Comments

• Good, Bad and Ugly
    Here is my humble take on Logic Pro for iOS after 10 days of use, wanting to be short with only features that matter to me.

Good:

• Import / export projects to Logic macOS is stelar feature. Working better than I anticipated. Transferring third party plug-in presets without any problem, at least those that I tested so far.

• Automation at the moment is best on platform till Drambo 3(I hope) sees the light. MPE was possible only with specific apps with limited functionalities, not any more. For me these features are the most significant ones.

• ‘Sample Alchemy’ is the most surprising feature in Logic iOS, it is a good indicator of things that will come with full Alchemy, which should be good comfort for the next 3 to 5 years till they actually make it.

• ‘Capture Recordings’, ‘Takes’ and ‘Track Alternatives’ are one of the most important features on Logic macOS for my workflow. On Logic iOS they omitted ‘Track Alternatives’, but it’s not a problem at all because I still need to transfer all projects to macOS where I need this feature most.

• Logic Mixer is here and already rules. Nothing more to add here, everyone loves it.

• The UI is way better than I anticipated, super easy to get in (and too easy to get out), almost no need for manual. Designers team did a fantastic job. On the contrary, GarageBand UI imho is the complete opposite, to the point of not using it at all.

Bad:

• Alchemy in its all glory is still missing, what we got is sample playback with Transform pad + performance controls. Alchemy is one of my most used synths, so no need to explain how much I care for that sucker ;). This synthesizer is so complex that I completely understand why they didn’t implement full features. But, the future is bright and as we can see in ‘Sample Alchemy’, the new GUI will be fantastic. Sculpture not there yet, I really hope that the same UI philosophy from ‘Sample Alchemy’ will be adopted here too.

• Multi-output needs full AUv3 implementation. If Apple wants modern contemporary DAW, they need to at least make it possible not only for instrument slots but FX slots too to fork signal on multiple outputs. FX like Multiband, FAC Medusa, FAC Bandit should be able to work.

• Project management, I would like to talk about it but there is nothing interesting or exciting about project management in Logic Pro 4 iOS, maybe because it is non-existent. That ‘Back Arrow’ is stellar! ;)

Ugly:

• Only one open window for Audio Unit at the time. Plug-ins tile views without customization option are weak, if they stay as it is, they will be mostly unusable and prone to unintentional parameter change. Track customization missing ‘save as default’. Mute/Solo/… buttons do not scale at all, nor can you choose different sizes. No Icons for AU, also you cannot close track icons. Pre fader metering missing, etc.

• MIDI routing, no need to waste words on this topic, we are all spoiled with MIDI routing possibility on iOS platform, so Apple needs to catch up! There is no option to export MIDI region/track but there is import one, so the feature is deliberately omitted?!

• Subscription is Ugly! That's that, and will stay that way. I will pay for upgrades and features, they should not be free ever. But software as a service is not good for the long run. The best payment model is one from the Loopy Pro and if you ask yourself why, it’s because “This Is The Way”. ;)

This is it, Good wins! I'm a regular everyday musician enthusiast / self-producer, take this observation with a grain of salt. Cheers!