Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Comments

• @Samu said:

And NO I will not be a 'Living User Manual' for every single question and topic that pops up here

Noone can force you to, so it's all good mate. Really. Just don't do what you don't want to, problem solved. Life is good.👍

• @el_bo said:
    Is it really Apples fault that people can’t RTFM?!

Indeed, and I think it's for 90% the consequence of the insane feature set of this app too. You want a deep, full featured DAW on a small touch screen? There's going to be a learning curve.

You can't have your cake and eat it, as they say.

• edited June 2023

@brambos said:

@el_bo said:
    Is it really Apples fault that people can’t RTFM?!

Indeed, and I think it's for 90% the consequence of the insane feature set of this app too. You want a deep, full featured DAW on a small touch screen? There's going to be a learning curve.

You can't have your cake and eat it, as they say.

Yeah, Logic Pro for iPad is certainly deep, and, not that easy to discover functionality, but with a manual, or, the people on this great forum it’s much easier!

One thing that I discover yesterday was the Scripter MIDI FX, wow, great, but in the same time, why does Apple leave out MIDI export on the iPad?

Overall, LP4i is really versatile, but to RTFM is a must…

• edited June 2023

@ErrkaPetti OMG Scripter looks awesome!

I was going to use StreamByter to translate drum tracks from MIDI GM standard to the slightly different pattern that some of my BeatBuddy drum machine acoustic kits have. I plan to develop tracks using the built-in drummer and then record them with the better-sounding BeatBuddy. Using Scripter with the included “Drum Kit Designer Remapper” preset, I can use an existing beat to control my BeatBuddy. Amazing!

Thank you for pointing that out!

This forum has helped me hugely in understanding this deep, deep, deep application.

• Does anyone know how Logic handles imported files storage-wise?

My workflow involves me importing full songs for chopping purposes (usually into quick sampler, sometimes into the timeline). I have a “Samples” folder which I copied to BM3’s and CB3’s respective locations, which has allowed me to use these samples in projects directly in these DAWs without taking up any additional storage.

However in Logic the file size of each project seems to contain the full size of the audio imported, which seems very inefficient if Logic truly is duplicating the file rather than referencing it.

• @DovJ said:
    @ErrkaPetti OMG Scripter looks awesome!

I was going to use StreamByter to translate drum tracks from MIDI GM standard to the slightly different pattern that some of my BeatBuddy drum machine acoustic kits have. I plan to develop tracks using the built-in drummer and then record them with the better-sounding BeatBuddy. Now I’ll code that in the Apple-supported Scripter environment, further integrating everything.

Thank you for pointing that out!

This forum has helped me hugely in understanding this deep, deep, deep application.

Yeah, as times flies by since the 23rd of may, there are wow suprises every day when using Logic Pro for iPad!

Although I’ve gotten Logic for Mac since 2013 I found things in Logic that is amazing, and, the most are there, hidden inside iPad Logic…

On Youtube there’s a guy that has an in deep course for free about Logic for Mac (around 65 episodes) - look at them and you will discover that this can also been done on iPad…

@musictechhelpguy on Youtube.

• @somblebeats said:
    Does anyone know how Logic handles imported files storage-wise?

My workflow involves me importing full songs for chopping purposes (usually into quick sampler, sometimes into the timeline). I have a “Samples” folder which I copied to BM3’s and CB3’s respective locations, which has allowed me to use these samples in projects directly in these DAWs without taking up any additional storage.

However in Logic the file size of each project seems to contain the full size of the audio imported, which seems very inefficient if Logic truly is duplicating the file rather than referencing it.

It seems like Logic Pro for iPad always attaches the imported files/stems/loops within the project saves…

I think that is what I will have it - when I copy that project into Files app I always know that’s complete (or send this project file with e-mail or Airdrop)…

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@somblebeats said:

It seems like Logic Pro for iPad always attaches the imported files/stems/loops within the project saves…

I think that is what I will have it - when I copy that project into Files app I always know that’s complete (or send this project file with e-mail or Airdrop)…

Yeah hopefully they give us an option to access files without doubling up on storage, otherwise I’ll personally be chewing through my 2TB iCloud before I know it!

Any idea if this is how it works on Mac too?

• @somblebeats said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@somblebeats said:

Yeah hopefully they give us an option to access files without doubling up on storage, otherwise I’ll personally be chewing through my 2TB iCloud before I know it!

Any idea if this is how it works on Mac too?

I’ll check my Mac when I’m home later today…

• edited June 2023

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Although this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but, Scripter FX in Logic Pro for iPad is really awesome FX!

I have had Logic on Mac since 2013, but, never have discovered this (when does MIDI FX come to Logic?).

If you don’t understand what Scripter FX can do in Logic on your iPad, look at this great video (everything can be done on iPad)…

When you say that everything can be done on the iPad… I seem to be missing a lot of the presets that he’s demonstrating in this video. For example, Drum Kit Designer Embellishments, Drum Probability Sequencer, Stutter, etc. Maybe we can only do most of it on iPad? Which is fine. I just wanted to double check that I’m looking in the right place and not missing something, because that’s very easy to do in this app. This is what I see.

• @SuperNiCd said:
    When you say that everything can be done on the iPad… I seem to be missing a lot of the presets that he’s demonstrating in this video. For example, Drum Kit Designer Embellishments, Drum Probability Sequencer, Stutter, etc. Maybe we can only do most of it on iPad? Which is fine. I just wanted to double check that I’m looking in the right place and not missing something, because that’s very easy to do in this app. This is what I see.

Yeah, I watched the video and found the Drum Probability Sequencer really interesting but it's apparently not included in the iPad version...

• @lasselu said:

@SuperNiCd said:

Yeah, I watched the video and found the Drum Probability Sequencer really interesting but it's apparently not included in the iPad version...

There’s definitely probability in the drum sequencer, the small dots next to tools swap pages with tools.

• @SuperNiCd said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Although this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but, Scripter FX in Logic Pro for iPad is really awesome FX!

I have had Logic on Mac since 2013, but, never have discovered this (when does MIDI FX come to Logic?).

If you don’t understand what Scripter FX can do in Logic on your iPad, look at this great video (everything can be done on iPad)…

Ohhh, my sorry…

I was soooo excited about Scripter MIDI FX that I forgot to doublecheck the iPad presets… Sad…

Are there any reasons why this kind of MIDI FX isn’t the same as on Mac?

Time will tell if Apple lets us load our own Javascript into LP4i…

• @Samu said:

@lasselu said:

@SuperNiCd said:

There’s definitely probability in the drum sequencer, the small dots next to tools swap pages with tools.

Yes, there is, but the Drum Probability Sequencer in Scripter is (from what I can see) something else altogether......

• @ErrkaPetti said:

Ohhh, my sorry…

I was soooo excited about Scripter MIDI FX that I forgot to doublecheck the iPad presets… Sad…

Are there any reasons why this kind of MIDI FX isn’t the same as on Mac?

Time will tell if Apple lets us load our own Javascript into LP4i…

Oh, nothing to be sorry about. You actually got me to check these out a little more closely and what’s there is still pretty cool. So thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a button with 3 dots on it hidden in plain sight somewhere that would show me more haha.

Yes, I hope their eventual plan is make the iOS and desktop versions have full feature parody!

• I loaded all of my custom (and desktop) scripter presets into the iPad version. They run just fine! Just create a desktop file that has a bunch of scripters loaded with each preset then open on iPad and save the preset for each one. Now you have them for use anywhere.

• @Eclipxe said:
    I loaded all of my custom (and desktop) scripter presets into the iPad version. They run just fine! Just create a desktop file that has a bunch of scripters loaded with each preset then open on iPad and save the preset for each one. Now you have them for use anywhere.

First of all, thank you very much, the solution is as great as it is simple. Secondly, given that these presets just work on the iPad apparently, why on Earth did Apple not just include them in in the first place? :#

• @ervin said:

@Eclipxe said:
    I loaded all of my custom (and desktop) scripter presets into the iPad version. They run just fine! Just create a desktop file that has a bunch of scripters loaded with each preset then open on iPad and save the preset for each one. Now you have them for use anywhere.

First of all, thank you very much, the solution is as great as it is simple. Secondly, given that these presets just work on the iPad apparently, why on Earth did Apple not just include them in in the first place? :#

See also all the lovely Alchemy presets that are in iOS GarageBand but not in iOS Logic 🤷‍♂️

At least that's just about the easiest thing there is to fix in an update.

• @Eclipxe said:

@lasselu and @SuperNiCd

Wow! Great!
    Some disappointing for several of us that not all of the Mac presets was there on iPad, so, big thank you for this!

Wonder if it’s illegal to share this missing presets to people here not have the Mac version of Logic Pro?

• edited June 2023

@Eclipxe said:

How did you do this? I haven't found a way to share presets, other than sharing a project.

• @richardyot said:

@Eclipxe said:

How did you do this? I haven't found a way to share presets, other than sharing a project.

Havn’t tested myself, but it must be that you take a whole project into the iPad (with tracks with MIDI FX) - then just save each preset…

• @Eclipxe said:

Interesting solution...wish I had the desktop version of LP right now... :(

• @lasselu said:

@Eclipxe said:

If it’s not illegal to share those Mac Scripter preset I can upload them all…

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@lasselu said:

@Eclipxe said:

Not sure how to find out if it's illegal...

• edited June 2023

@lasselu said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@lasselu said:

@Eclipxe said:

Not sure how to find out if it's illegal...

Send me an PM…

There are ten more Scripter MIDI FX presets on the Mac…
    Pretty strange why Apple decide to put out some presets on iPad…

• edited June 2023

@richardyot said:

@Eclipxe said:

Here’s what I did after reading the description. I opened a new project in Logic Mac, didn’t add anything other than the desired scripter presets on a track as MIDI fx-es, multiple ones on the same track. Saved the project, then via iCloud I opened it in Logic iPad. Saved the scripter presets individually. Then, to test, I opened a new project in Logic iPad, added a scripter instance on a track and I was offered all the newly saved presets under user presets for scripter.

Might not be the same thing you’re after.

• Is logic drummer the same as the desktop version? I’ve been watching videos on logic drummer and it looks good, better and easier to use for a non drumming guitarist than say DPP or session drummer but interested to hear if it’s the same on iOS. Particularly the feature that listens to what you play and follows it.

Thanks.
    C

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Send me an PM…

Will do...I wonder if the reason is that some of them have really big UIs, at least the Drum Probability Sequencer does from what I can see...

• @lasselu said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Send me an PM…

Will do...I wonder if the reason is that some of them have really big UIs, at least the Drum Probability Sequencer does from what I can see...

Yeah, the GUI in iPad and on Mac differ a lot, but it works, but there are a lot of control, a lot…
    The scripter is really fun, and, it should be nice to have the ability to write some own presets in Javascript…

• @chris000sg said:
    Is logic drummer the same as the desktop version? I’ve been watching videos on logic drummer and it looks good, better and easier to use for a non drumming guitarist than say DPP or session drummer but interested to hear if it’s the same on iOS. Particularly the feature that listens to what you play and follows it.

Thanks.
    C

Yeah, all the same…

One thing differ - the drummer names (ex Kyle Logan Anders etc etc) have been changed to genres, though the same drummer styles as on Mac…