Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your biggest musical inspirations?

124»

Comments

• @qryss said:
    I’ve realised the reason I had kids was so they could do musical research for me. I’ve never stopped seeking out new things to love and be inspired by but I have less time these days so the kids have become super useful.

Top fave bands of all time might be (today, anyway):

Daughter
    Fred again..
    Gabriel-era Genesis
    Ride (up to Nowhere)
    Cocteau Twins
    Yes
    The Cure
    Supertramp
    Phoebe Bridgers
    Tears For Fears
    Telenova
    Pink Floyd
    Talk Talk (last two albums especially)
    21 Pilots
    Hania Rani
    Agnes Obel
    Poliça
    Rufus Du Soul

Soundtrack people: Stephen Rennicks, Adam Taylor, Hans Zimmer, Hildur Gudnadottir

Fantastic choices! How do you feel about Gabriel’s solo stuff? I personally love a lot of it. Big fan of Supertramp and Talk Talk as well. Especially Talk Talk. Seeing a lot of love for them here which is very nice. Those last 2 albums are some of the greatest ever. Songs from the Big Chair is another all time favorite of mine.

• DEVO.
    I win !

• @HotStrange said:
    Fantastic choices! How do you feel about Gabriel’s solo stuff? I personally love a lot of it. Big fan of Supertramp and Talk Talk as well. Especially Talk Talk. Seeing a lot of love for them here which is very nice. Those last 2 albums are some of the greatest ever. Songs from the Big Chair is another all time favorite of mine.

I love a lot of Gabriel’s solo stuff, yes - especially the first four or five albums or so (and Passion). I don’t get so much out of his more recent stuff but I don’t hold that against him. :smile:

He’s always been amazing live, too. Saw him first in 1977 in Bath doing a warm-up show for the Reading Festival. Phil was on drums and the two of them sang The Lamb Lies Down. Amazing! Random Hold was the support band but David Rhodes was not yet in PG’s band…

• @user54432 said:
    DEVO.
    I win !

Yes! Mothersbaugh (spelling?) is a genius!

• @qryss said:

@HotStrange said:

I love a lot of Gabriel’s solo stuff, yes - especially the first four or five albums or so (and Passion). I don’t get so much out of his more recent stuff but I don’t hold that against him. :smile:

He’s always been amazing live, too. Saw him first in 1977 in Bath doing a warm-up show for the Reading Festival. Phil was on drums and the two of them sang The Lamb Lies Down. Amazing! Random Hold was the support band but David Rhodes was not yet in PG’s band…

Super cool you got to see them live! I agree his first few solo albums are golden. I haven’t even listened to much at all of the recent stuff, though. I love Phil as a drummer but he’s not my favorite frontman. Brand X is great though and his drumming with Brian Eno is excellent.

• Oh man forgot Steely Dan! Another all timer for me.

• Cool thread!
    Here goes. Run the genres 🔊🔊

• UK HipHop - raw energy and independence - Blade, Demon Boyz, Gunshot, Braintax
    • US HipHop - swagger, beats, rhymes and basslines - Chill Rob G, Gang Starr, Beatnuts, XClan
    • Techno/House/Electro - sound design roots - Carl Craig, Autechre, Drexciya, Audion
    • Jeff Mills on the decks (deserves its own genre)
    • Dub/Digi/Roots - bassquake - Iration Steppas, On-U-Sound, Jah Shaka, Morgan Heritage
    • Soul - back through sampled time - William Bell, Andy Bey, Fontella Bass, Sam Cooke
    • 70s Jazz - learning languages - McCoy Tyner, Woody Shaw, Gary Bartz, Herbie Hancock
    • Live Jazz that astounded - John Zorn’s Masada, The Necks, Evan Parker, Polar Bear
    • Highlife and Soukous - musicianship + dancefloor dynamics - Franco, Diblo Dibala, Salif Keita, Fela Kuti
    • Acoustic/Celtic/Folk - out in the field - John Reischman, Lau, Bill Bourne, Lunasa
    • The gallery cheap seats at the Royal Albert Hall for Live at the Proms.
  • Oh and I really like LCD Soundsystem. Especially live. 😎

• edited May 2023

@gusgranite said:
    Cool thread!

• UK HipHop - raw energy and independence - Blade, Demon Boyz, Gunshot, Braintax
    • US HipHop - swagger, beats, rhymes and basslines - Chill Rob G, Gang Starr, Beatnuts, XClan
    • Techno/House/Electro - sound design roots - Carl Craig, Autechre, Drexciya, Audion
    • Dub/Digi/Roots - bassquake - Iration Steppas, On-U-Sound, Jah Shaka, Morgan Heritage
    • Soul - back through sampled time - William Bell, Andy Bey, Fontella Bass, Sam Cooke
    • 70s Jazz - learning languages - McCoy Tyner, Woody Shaw, Gary Bartz, Herbie Hancock
    • Live Jazz that astounded - John Zorn’s Masada, The Necks, Evan Parker, Polar Bear
    • Highlife and Soukous - musicianship + dancefloor dynamics - Franco, Diblo Dibala, Salif Keita, Fela Kuti
    • Acoustic/Celtic/Folk - out in the field - John Reischman, Lau, Bill Bourne, Lunasa

The Necks! I used to have Lloyd Swanton as a client in my studio back in the 90s. I mastered some of their albums, if I recall correctly. Lovely guy. Wish I still knew him.

• @qryss said:

@gusgranite said:
    Cool thread!

The Necks! I used to have Lloyd Swanton as a client in my studio back in the 90s. I mastered some of their albums, if I recall correctly. Lovely guy. Wish I still knew him.

Damn, you mastered The Necks? I would love to hear all about that. What equipment you used etc. How you approached it. They have such a unique sound that just meditates and builds.

• edited May 2023

@gusgranite said:

@qryss said:

@gusgranite said:
    Cool thread!

Damn, you mastered The Necks? I would love to hear all about that. What equipment you used etc. How you approached it. They have such a unique sound that just meditates and builds.

It’s a long time ago and I can’t really remember what I did for them but from Discogs it looks like I “edited” the Aquatic album. Not sure what that means but presumably I assembled the tracks and then Lloyd took it to 301 for mastering. I had a number of sessions with him so maybe I did other things as well. Can’t remember but I love their music!

I had an Akai DD1000 (early digital recording thing) and did all sorts of things for all sorts of people.

• @gusgranite said:
    Oh and I really like LCD Soundsystem. Especially live. 😎

I missed my chance to see them live a couple years back. I was really bummed about that one. My friends that went said they put on an amazing show.

• @qryss said:

@gusgranite said:

@qryss said:

@gusgranite said:
    Cool thread!

It’s a long time ago and I can’t really remember what I did for them but from Discogs it looks like I “edited” the Aquatic album. Not sure what that means but presumably I assembled the tracks and then Lloyd took it to 301 for mastering. I had a number of sessions with him so maybe I did other things as well. Can’t remember but I love their music!

I had an Akai DD1000 (early digital recording thing) and did all sorts of things for all sorts of people.

Love that! Very very cool that you were involved. And that Akai DD1000 looks like a beast.

• @HotStrange said:

@gusgranite said:

I missed my chance to see them live a couple years back. I was really bummed about that one. My friends that went said they put on an amazing show.

Ah that’s too bad. I think I saw them in 2007 at the London Astoria. Good times.

• @gusgranite said:

@HotStrange said:

@gusgranite said:

Ah that’s too bad. I think I saw them in 2007 at the London Astoria. Good times.

Oh man what a time to see em 🤩 what did you think of their more recent album? I know some fans didn’t like it but I thought it was good. Not quite on par with the original 3. But good.

• edited May 2023

Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, Bob James, Kruder & Dorfmeister, J Dilla, Thievery Corporation, Jazzanova, Ian Pooley, Groove Armada, Richie Hawtin and BT. All these artists influenced me and my sound and the following tracks were and are catnip for me 🙏🏻❤️🙌🏽

• @AudioGus said:
    Ahhh yah, nice to meet a fellow B12 head. :) You might like Morphology. Check out their album Traveller amongst others.

Thank you - heading down that welcome new wormhole now. I was mostly very stoned during the 90s, but listening to B12 now confirms my feeling at the time that electronic music had come of age and that these composers (along with some of the other Warp Artificial Intelligence contributors) were as musically accomplished as anyone ever before (or since).

I know this thread is about influences rather than specific pieces of work, but it's aided some distillation of my sonic memory. Coming to my desert techno island would be these two treasured long-form pieces of work:

Gus Gus vs T-World (4AD album, 2000)
    Vapourspace - Gravitational Arch of 10 (Magnetic Gravity Arc Suite) 1993

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, Bob James, Kruder & Dorfmeister, J Dilla, Thievery Corporation, Jazzanova, Ian Pooley, Groove Armada, Richie Hawtin and BT. All these artists influenced me and my sound and the following tracks were and are catnip for me 🙏🏻❤️🙌🏽

Finally another Stevie Wonder mention! One of my all time faves. What’s your favorite album of his? Mine is either Music of my Mind or Innervisions.

• @steve99 said:

@AudioGus said:
    Ahhh yah, nice to meet a fellow B12 head. :) You might like Morphology. Check out their album Traveller amongst others.

Thank you - heading down that welcome new wormhole now. I was mostly very stoned during the 90s, but listening to B12 now confirms my feeling at the time that electronic music had come of age and that these composers (along with some of the other Warp Artificial Intelligence contributors) were as musically accomplished as anyone ever before (or since).

I know this thread is about influences rather than specific pieces of work, but it's aided some distillation of my sonic memory. Coming to my desert techno island would be these two treasured long-form pieces of work:

Gus Gus vs T-World (4AD album, 2000)
    Vapourspace - Gravitational Arch of 10 (Magnetic Gravity Arc Suite) 1993

ahh, very nice, thanks for the tip!

• @HotStrange said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

Finally another Stevie Wonder mention! One of my all time faves. What’s your favorite album of his? Mine is either Music of my Mind or Innervisions.

🙌🏽 Innervisions for sure!
    I recently listened to Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants and the story behind it is very cool 😎

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@HotStrange said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

🙌🏽 Innervisions for sure!
    I recently listened to Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants and the story behind it is very cool 😎

That’s a pretty underrated Stevie album. Not quite Plantasia level but it’s great! I know Songs in the Key of Life is his “masterwork” but I prefer Innervisions as well. And Superwoman off Music of my Mind is mind blowing.