Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your biggest musical inspirations?

Comments

• @richardyot said:
    I love Phoebe Bridgers, but it does seem like she is guest-starring on every new song that comes out these days :)

I like her too. Just recently I was thinking… I wonder if she has a closet full of skeleton outfits, lol. She has to right…? It can’t be like 3 that she washes and rotates.

• @el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The biggest influence over my entire music creation/production career has undoubtedly been Sash! Ever since I heard
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/itc1bo6jvhdb8gv/Netta - Toy (JWM 'We Love the 90s' Remix).mp4?dl=0

Really solid (Re)mix, man! Was this all done on iPad?

Yes it was back in 2018 before Gadget 2 was released. :)

Including the mix/master?

Yep, the mix was done in Gadget, and the master was done in Cubasis 2. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The biggest influence over my entire music creation/production career has undoubtedly been Sash! Ever since I heard
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/itc1bo6jvhdb8gv/Netta - Toy (JWM 'We Love the 90s' Remix).mp4?dl=0

Really solid (Re)mix, man! Was this all done on iPad?

Yes it was back in 2018 before Gadget 2 was released. :)

Including the mix/master?

Yep, the mix was done in Gadget, and the master was done in Cubasis 2. :)

Cool! Respect! :)

• edited May 2023

@HotStrange
    @tyslothrop1 (Einstuerzende Neubauten !)
    @sevenape (gy!be🔥)
    @richardyot (shiny boots of leather)
    @Gavinski ( Fugazi and Wrap label on the same list we got a winner here ! Would love to hear your guitar out of its case )
    @Poppadocrock (Scrapyard Lullaby !)

LA LA LOVE YOU, guys !
    LA LA LOVE this thread !
    LA LA LOVE this forum (except the lately Logic Pro frenzy)

• @JanKun said:
    @HotStrange
    @sevenape (gy!be🔥)
    @Gavinski ( Fugazi and Wrap label on the same list we got a winner here ! Would love to hear your guitar out of its case though )

LA LA LOVE YOU, guys !
    LA LA LOVE this thread !

• @bygjohn said:
    I’ve been very lucky to have been exposed to a wide variety of music through people I’ve been surrounded by at various times. At each phase, there have been artists who’ve “stuck”, and I guess where I am in my music making is an amalgam of all that, one way or another.

Selecting key influences from all that is quite difficult, so here’s a brainstormed list.

Reggae. Mainly dubby roots reggae, eg Lee Perry, Prince Far I, Black Uhuru

Motown and Stax/Atlantic. In particular Whitfield era Temptations, Edwin Starr, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding.

Rock and prog: Sabbath, Zeppelin, (early) Genesis, Yes, Focus, Can

Punk and post-punk: Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, Comsat Angels, Simple Minds

Singer-songwriters: Joni Mitchell

Later metal: Rammstein, MWWB

Electronic: Tangerine Dream (up to Baumann leaving), Klaus Schulze, Laurie Anderson, Eno, Hainbach

Dance related: The Orb, Fluke, Leftfield, System Seven, Eat Static

Other (for want of a better term): King Sunny Adé, Albert Kuvezin/Yat Kha (and overtone singing in general)

There’s a ton more.

Since I really got going on my music making again in the first lockdowns, I’ve mostly been immersed in electronics, and Hainbach is probably the biggest influence on my current work. Finding his YT channel was a revelation.

I’m currently studying with Sarah Belle Reid, though, and that’s given me a huge dose of new inspiration from artists such as Eliane Radigue and Morton Subotnick, plus an unexpected injection of interactive noise and chaos.

Yep Hainbach is a genius and a big influence on me as well!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@HotStrange said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@HotStrange said:
    I’m curious what everyone’s biggest inspirations for their music is?

For me, I really love the early experimental new wave/post punk stuff. Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Suicide The Pop Group, etc. Also Krautrock guys like Kraftwer and Neu! Industrial guys like NIN, Swans, and Coil are up there. Experimental jazz like Coltrane, Mingus, Miles. And lastly experimental hip hop like Danny Brown, Jpegmafia, Clippng, Death Grips. Hell even hardcore bands like Refused. Oh! And can’t forget IDM and House/Techno guys. Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, etc.

And maybe oddly, film is a big one. David Lynch’s work (and Angelo’s work with him). Eraserheada foley work and score are amazing. Same for the OG Texas Chainsaw Massacre. All big inspirations. And by extension noise artists like Mother, Aaron Dilloway, Merzbow, Prurient, Lightening Bolt, etc.

So what about you guys?

I go for:

Thore Skogman
    Felix Mendelsohn
    Van Morrison
    Primal Scream
    The Hives
    Depeche Mode
    Gamma Ray
    The Cure…

The Hives rule! They just recently released a new song that’s really really good. You heard it yet?

No, sorry…
    The Hives, great band with awesome energy…

Check it out! It’s nice to see they still have that energy in their older age.

• @richardyot said:
    I love Phoebe Bridgers, but it does seem like she is guest-starring on every new song that comes out these days :)

Her and Mac DeMarco both do a lot of guest work but I’m perfectly fine with it :) love ‘em both

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The biggest influence over my entire music creation/production career has undoubtedly been Sash! Ever since I heard "Encore Une Fois" and "Ecuador" as a teenager and then the "S4! Sash!" album, I've been hooked on their sound. :) And a lifelong dream of mine came true. I was honoured to have remixed their single "Rainbow" and track "Together Again" back in 2020 and 2021 respectively (although "Rainbow" wasn't released until last year due to circumstances pushing back the release). ^_^ I also love the production on Aqua's and Vengaboy's tracks, even if their tracks are cheesy lol. And most EuroDance Music.

But during the past couple of years, this list of influences has grown substantially. From Richie Hawtin's Minimal Techno kicking off my "Summer of Minimalism 2021" to David Lynch, Brian Eno, Phillip Glass, Stockhausen, etc giving me the thirst to produce Ambient which in turn became my "Summer of Ambient 2022", to J Dilla and Ocean heavily influencing my "Winter of Lofi 2022-2023".

I have a feeling a new shift in my music production is coming with the impending release of a certain app I will not mention here. 🤪 First with the "Praise Him!" EP which has a couple high energy EDM tracks harkening back to my EuroDance roots, and a little bit of what the kids these days call Dark Country! 😳 Not sure where this will head, although I did create a little bit of Lofi in Garageband yesterday. 😂

Was hoping you’d chime in!

Lynch and Dilla are 2 huge ones for me. Lynch is probably the single most influential artist to me. Though Numan is high up there just for getting me into synths in general. And Dilla of course is a legend. Haven’t listened to Sash though!

• @greatestlengths said:
    It depends.. lots of variables.

I think in a pretty broad sense, some of my biggest musical influences are Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, The Gaslight Anthem, Jimmy Eat World, Crowded House, Dashboard Confessional, Cold Chisel, The Cure, Brand New, Ed Sheeran, The Midnight, Howie Day and Phoebe Bridgers.

There’s a few that are hugely influential but on I guess a more deeper level.. because they influenced my music and singing at a very young age. Those would be Boyz II Men, Brian McKnight, Prince, Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, KCi & Jojo, R.Kelly (I know)..

As a kid, I grew up on ‘90s RnB with a little bit of boyband pop thrown in - mostly RnB though, there was also a fair amount of rap in there, which was almost only Tupac and Eminem.

When I was about 13~, the 00s emo/pop-punk scene exploded and I was all in on that - still love it, and I still listen to what those acts do - there’s more than what I listed above, but the artists above are more influential on my music than some others.

There’s a few more region-specific acts up there, Cold Chisel and Crowded House - I’m an Australian, these bands were huge and I love them, definitely influential on my music. More subtly than some others but it’s there.

Howie Day has somehow been super influential on me, I kinda sound a little bit like him.. but that’s not really the reason, his Australia album just hit the spot for me and I love it to this day. There’s something about this guys music that I love, and his live stuff is awesome.

The live aspect is why Ed Sheeran is listed above too - loops. I’m actually not a live looper act, I don’t use pedals etc when gigging, but I love them for songwriting and that’s where they feel influential for me. Similar to Taking Back Sunday here - they’re influential on my backing vocals, wanting to have lots of back-and-forth/overlapping vocal lines, building up sections by looping repeating the same things over and over and over (also helps with making songs catchier)..

The Midnight is more of a vibe thing.. love their music, and I do tend to want to make my music make you feel something, in a similar way their music does. Big fan of the band and I have written some synth wave-y songs in the past.

Phoebe Bridgers is a newer one for me - she might as well represent a whole scene that I like though, the indie-folky-emo scene, where boygenius resides as well as its other members (Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker) and a few other acts like Ethel Cain, Ruston Kelly, Charli Adams among a bunch of others. I really like this type of music and it’s been influencing what I’m doing more recently. I think Noah Gunderson has some stuff that fits here but he’s too versatile to really be pigeonholed like this. But Phoebe specifically, absolutely love both of her albums and I definitely feel it’s influencing my writing.

As a real broad summary, I’d say I’m influenced mostly by 90s RnB vocally, with some emo heart in there and a tendency to combine more intimate/raw songwriting with catchy melodies and season it lightly with some “Americana”.

Fellow kid from the 90s here! I remember vividly learning all the boy band dances with my sister in my bed room. Ah those were the days! Phoebe is getting a lot of love on this thread which is nice. She’s amazing but man the stuff can hit so deep sometimes so I gotta listen sparingly lol

• @JanKun said:
    @HotStrange
    @sevenape (gy!be🔥)
    @Gavinski ( Fugazi and Wrap label on the same list we got a winner here ! Would love to hear your guitar out of its case )

LA LA LOVE YOU, guys !
    LA LA LOVE this thread !

Glad you’re enjoying it :) I thought it’d be cool to have a thread to just talk music and inspirations and influence as I couldn’t really find one.

• Rolf Maier Bode

Maybe less known to this community .. he had rave music project called "RMB" in 90's .. i think he is not much active anymore since his last album he released 10 years ago, but will keep always mi biggest inspiration - I really like the level of detail, sound clarity and complexity but also great composition, melodies and harmonies he pushes to his music.

preview of his last album

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

Maybe not my most significant influence - but certainly the biggest. 😎
    (And a wonderfully inspiring musician and human being. RIP / moe i ka maluhia)

• edited May 2023

@dendy said:
    Rolf Maier Bode

Maybe less known to this community .. he had rave music project called "RMB" in 90's .. i think he is not much active anymore since his last album he released 10 years ago, but will keep always mi biggest inspiration - I really like the level of detail, sound clarity and complexity but also great composition, melodies and harmonies he pushes to his music.

preview of his last album

Sounds cool! I’ll have to check out more of his work, thanks! So so many lesser known yet still amazing artists from the 80s/90s electronic scene out there. I’m sure I haven’t even scratched the surface and I know of a good bit.

• Johnny Rotten was a Hawkwind fan

• @HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The biggest influence over my entire music creation/production career has undoubtedly been Sash! Ever since I heard "Encore Une Fois" and "Ecuador" as a teenager and then the "S4! Sash!" album, I've been hooked on their sound. :) And a lifelong dream of mine came true. I was honoured to have remixed their single "Rainbow" and track "Together Again" back in 2020 and 2021 respectively (although "Rainbow" wasn't released until last year due to circumstances pushing back the release). ^_^ I also love the production on Aqua's and Vengaboy's tracks, even if their tracks are cheesy lol. And most EuroDance Music.

But during the past couple of years, this list of influences has grown substantially. From Richie Hawtin's Minimal Techno kicking off my "Summer of Minimalism 2021" to David Lynch, Brian Eno, Phillip Glass, Stockhausen, etc giving me the thirst to produce Ambient which in turn became my "Summer of Ambient 2022", to J Dilla and Ocean heavily influencing my "Winter of Lofi 2022-2023".

I have a feeling a new shift in my music production is coming with the impending release of a certain app I will not mention here. 🤪 First with the "Praise Him!" EP which has a couple high energy EDM tracks harkening back to my EuroDance roots, and a little bit of what the kids these days call Dark Country! 😳 Not sure where this will head, although I did create a little bit of Lofi in Garageband yesterday. 😂

Lynch and Dilla are 2 huge ones for me. Lynch is probably the single most influential artist to me. Though Numan is high up there just for getting me into synths in general. And Dilla of course is a legend. Haven’t listened to Sash though!

I'll have to revisit Numan. :) I think you'll love Sash! ^_^ Amazing 90s Dance music.

• These days I am gravitating more and more to pure jazz guitar like Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery.

I have listened to really broad styles of music, and from all of that I still like Pavement and Primal Scream the most.

I can't stand modern music and music that is mainly a product, and I really hate the same boring stuff you hear in the supermarket.

• edited May 2023

Schoenberg, Bee Gees, the Triffids, Television, Miles, Eno, Pet Shop Boys, Marilyn Crispell.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I'll have to revisit Numan. :) I think you'll love Sash! ^_^ Amazing 90s Dance music.

I’ll definitely be checking them out. The 90s is full of some amazing electronic artists. I mentioned earlier to someone else, I know a good bit about 80s and 90s electronic music but even then there’s still so much out there I haven’t discovered simply because there were SO MANY great artists during that time that didn’t get quite as popular.

• @purpan2 said:
    Schoenberg, Bee Gees, the Triffids, Television, Miles, Eno, Pet Shop Boys, Marilyn Crispell.

Television is fantastic! Marquee Moon is a perfect album, imo.

• Jean-Louis Murat died today. RIP. One of my biggest influences at the end of the eighties and into the nineties. A wide range of work, with some superb atmospheric synth parts, such as here:

• @HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:

Great album.

I tried to list some inspiration earlier in this thread but the truth is there is so, so many artists that have previously, or consistently influence me, it’s hard to really quantify it.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@HotStrange said:

@purpan2 said:

Great album.

I tried to list some inspiration earlier in this thread but the truth is there is so, so many artists that have previously, or consistently influence me, it’s hard to really quantify it.

Agreed. I had to cut myself off before I ended up writing a short novel 😂 that’s how it should be though. Pull inspiration wherever you can

• edited May 2023

J.S.Bach
    Mike Oldfield
    Keith Emerson
    Brian Eno
    Glenn Phillips - instrumental electric guitarist from Atlanta, Georgia
    Bill Nelson - ex-Be Bop Deluxe guitarist, but it’s his monumental solo work I love
    Kit Watkins
    Robert Fripp
    Simon Jeffes & Penguin Cafe’ Orchestra
    music from Renaissance & Elizabethan era
    instrumental trad. & folk tunes from Ireland, British Isles, Norse countries & Appalachia

• Depends on which day you ask me as it will probably change from time to time, but if I put together a list off the top of my head of musicians who have influenced how I play…

John McGeoch - guitar
    David Gilmour - guitar
    Captain Sensible - guitar
    David Bowie - saxophone
    Nicky Hopkins - piano
    Ludwig van Beethoven - piano
    Dave Greenfield - electric piano
    Rick Wright - organ
    Bernie Worrell - synth
    John Paul Jones - bass and mandolin
    Charlie Watts - drums
    Bill Ward - drums

Probably others.

• @amarok said:
    J.S.Bach
    Mike Oldfield
    Keith Emerson
    Brian Eno
    Bill Nelson - ex-Be Bop Deluxe guitarist, but it’s his monumental solo work I love
    Kit Watkins
    Robert Fripp
    instrumental trad. & folk tunes from Ireland, British Isles, Norse countries & Appalachia

Similars to mine. I would add Amon Tobin and John Zorn too.

• @amarok said:

His solo stuff is superb!

• Glam metal and now glam rock. Except I can't crack their formula so nothing I've tried quite sounds like them.

• @michael_m said:
    Depends on which day you ask me as it will probably change from time to time, but if I put together a list off the top of my head of musicians who have influenced how I play…

John McGeoch - guitar
    David Gilmour - guitar
    Captain Sensible - guitar
    David Bowie - saxophone
    Nicky Hopkins - piano
    Ludwig van Beethoven - piano
    Dave Greenfield - electric piano
    Rick Wright - organ
    Bernie Worrell - synth
    John Paul Jones - bass and mandolin
    Charlie Watts - drums
    Bill Ward - drums

Probably others.

Bowie is one of my biggest as well. Love Bill Ward/Sabbath as well. Great choices! Charlie Watts is a very underrated drummer.

• @amarok said:
    J.S.Bach
    Mike Oldfield
    Keith Emerson
    Brian Eno
    Kit Watkins
    Robert Fripp

Lots of Eno love in this thread and I agree, he’s great. Another Green World and Before/After Science are my 2 favorites.