Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro is NOT the Game Changier app we think it is…yet

123457»

Comments

• @monz0id said:

@el_bo said:
    Actually, if anything, being able to push stuff to an external drive at least necessitates the purchase of a dongle ;)

Do you think we could use an external drive for the iOS Logic libraries? That’d give my 64gb Air 4 a bit of a breather.

I hope so, as I'm in the same minimum storage boat. I think Wim makes a decent case in their post above.

• @wim said:
    Apple have made it possible for apps to use data (not programs) on external drives. We see that already with a few apps such as Pure Synth Platinum. I will be really surprised if Logic Pro isn't able to do this right out of the box. If not, then I'm pretty certain they'll be forced to add it in some capacity soon.

Agree.

• @el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:
    Actually, if anything, being able to push stuff to an external drive at least necessitates the purchase of a dongle ;)

Do you think we could use an external drive for the iOS Logic libraries? That’d give my 64gb Air 4 a bit of a breather.

I hope so, as I'm in the same minimum storage boat. I think Wim makes a decent case in their post above.

That sounds promising. I’ve got a couple of spare SSD’s which would give me a bit more use out of the Air before I have to upgrade.

• @monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

That sounds promising. I’ve got a couple of spare SSD’s which would give me a bit more use out of the Air before I have to upgrade.

I have externals, but they’re all spinning platter drives. Will have to make do with those. But they'll be fine for the task.

• I should clarify that the size of the entire Logic library is not my issue with only having a 64gb iPad, although the full logic desktop install is about 80gb. The issue is that I have other things on my iPad that I use every day and Logic would need room to record audio, etc.

I work mostly on music that is played on live instruments, with any midi being performances tracked with those instruments or as overdubs. I don’t really record much of my own creations right now.

I have some sessions that are 15-30gb of sound files, and in a recent case tracking a musical, each night was about 45gb. I can track those sessions to ssd easily with my mbp, or mix those sessions that are tracks that are sent to me.

Anyway, for me when I do have song ideas of my own, GarageBand on iOS is plenty for me, and I can open those in logic later if I want to round them out any further. Usually any quick demos go in a Dropbox folder though and when I do get together with people to work on our own music, we will listen to everyone’s sketch demos to decide what to expand on, and we will make new recordings.

That’s only me and my situation though and I fully realize that there are others who would probably get a ton out of logic on the iPad.

In addition, I use a uad Apollo x8 as the core of my recording setup, along with an old apogee ensemble set up as a standalone converter and an aphex 188 to give me 16 inputs (or 18 if I add my apogee mini-me via spdif), and mine of that will work on iPad except the mini-me. And the mini-me only works if it’s plugged into a powered hub via a usb3 cck and also uses the apogee power supply, so that’s a lot of adapters and connections just to record on iPad.

Anyway, logic iOS may change some people’s musical world and if it does, then that’s a cool thing.

• So, I really like Logic for iPad. It’s exactly what it needs to be. It’s definitely a different experience from using it on desktop, but it balances the middle ground between working with pros and beginners.

Like, I can introduce people with iPhone to Garageband, and quickly add some fine tuning to their projects. Or recommend an iPad to people who use Windows as a main computer but are looking for a secondary device. Or take it to a studio and get ideas flowing quickly.

To some, it’s a game changer, to others it’s just a DAW. I really do like it, and it’ll open more doors. I do think it’s priced right…needs to be a subscription so it’s constantly gaining revenue to prove feasible for updates. And there’s Garageband as a base version.

Then again, I’m biased. What’s your thoughts after using it? Do you consider it a game changer?

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    So, I really like Logic for iPad. It’s exactly what it needs to be. It’s definitely a different experience from using it on desktop, but it balances the middle ground between working with pros and beginners.

Like, I can introduce people with iPhone to Garageband, and quickly add some fine tuning to their projects. Or recommend an iPad to people who use Windows as a main computer but are looking for a secondary device. Or take it to a studio and get ideas flowing quickly.

To some, it’s a game changer, to others it’s just a DAW. I really do like it, and it’ll open more doors. I do think it’s priced right…needs to be a subscription so it’s constantly gaining revenue to prove feasible for updates. And there’s Garageband as a base version.

Then again, I’m biased. What’s your thoughts after using it? Do you consider it a game changer?

Logic Pro on iPad is just a DAW, but in my opinion an excellent DAW with most of the bells and whistles of its "big brother" on Mac. I was disappointed Flex Pitch wasn't included, but these days I just want the full Alchemy synth. We have the Vocal Tune Studio AUv3 for adjusting pitch and timing of vocals.

Now if Logic Pro acts as the gateway to bigger companies like Ableton to fully port over their DAWs to iPad Pro, Logic Pro would indeed be a game changer. We could use Ableton Note on our iPhones as a scratchpad and port that over to iPad's version of Live via iCloud much like we can use Garageband on iPhone as a scratchpad and port that over to Logic Pro via iCloud. But as for now, Logic isn't exactly a huge game changer.

It does tickle my fancy that I'm using the same software (albeit slightly "cut down" for iPad) as many big-name producers like Armin Van Buuren and Finneas Eilish and Pharrell Williams. And once I overcame the learning curve of basic operations within Logic, I find it super easy and quick to use to get ideas flowing.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

It does tickle my fancy that I'm using the same software (albeit slightly "cut down" for iPad) as many big-name producers like Armin Van Buuren and Finneas Eilish and Pharrell Williams. And once I overcame the learning curve of basic operations within Logic, I find it super easy and quick to use to get ideas flowing.

Exactly. That’s the part I’m blown away by. Also, reopening Logic projects that I did on my Mac on my iPad and it working fine is honestly the feature I’m super glad for.

• Uc> > It does tickle my fancy that I'm using the same software (albeit slightly "cut down" for iPad) as many big-name producers like Armin Van Buuren and Finneas Eilish and Pharrell Williams. And once I overcame the learning curve of basic operations within Logic, I find it super easy and quick to use to get ideas flowing.

Exactly. That’s the part I’m blown away by. Also, reopening Logic projects that I did on my Mac on my iPad and it working fine is honestly the feature I’m super glad for.

The game changer epithet of Logic Pro for iPad much be the fact that (if you ain’t a sound snob) if you get LP4i you get an incredible amount of instrument, audio plugins, MIDI FX plugins, Loops etc etc…

You can make everything with the stock material, so, in that manner LP4i is huge offer from Apple - 5 bucks per month, cheap joy!!

And, if you get tired of the stocky things, there’s A LOT of great AUc3 plugins to buy on Appstore…

• What it is NOW absolutely kills anything ever created for iOS . Whether it’s > @monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

I’m confused ..Can’t I use an external storage drive with my 256 gig M1 iPad Pro NOW?

• edited June 2023

@Telstar5 said:
    What it is NOW absolutely kills anything ever created for iOS . Whether it’s > @monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

I’m confused ..Can’t I use an external storage drive with my 256 gig M1 iPad Pro NOW?

You can store songs on them, I guess, which would take the weight off your iPad a bit, but I don’t think you can store libraries on them (I’ve uninstalled it now).

I don’t think it ‘kills anything ever created for iOS‘, otherwise me and the others who aren’t subscribing would have jumped in too. It does a certain type of job for a certain group of music makers.

I spent a week or so learning the ropes, started a track, but then forgot about it until a week later I realised it wasn’t going to fit in with my workflow, and went back to having masses of fun in AUM and Koala. Music making on the iPad should be fun. I didn’t have fun with Logic.

There’s absolutely no point in my scrabbling around on a tiny iPad screen, with cock-eyed sample import and missing features, when I can do a better job on my desktop and massive monitor. Plus on that one, I can save libraries (Ableton, NI etc., not Logic, obvs) onto external SSD’s (I have 3x2tb connected).

• Yeah it sounds like you’re completely ensconced in that workflow.. I only have an iPad so it makes more sense for me

• @Telstar5 said:
    Yeah it sounds like you’re completely ensconced in that workflow.. I only have an iPad so it makes more sense for me

And today I learned a new word. :) I love that word. Cheers.

• On reflection, yes, yes it is a game changer!

And the reason is access - for a fiver a month, a plausible pocket money amount for many kids, it provides a comprehensive DAW package which runs on a current base model iPad. That being a plausible birthday or Christmas present. The bundled instruments and effects are way beyond the alternatives!

• edited June 2023

@MadGav I completely agree. It is a game changer. We now have a real DAW for the first time on the iPad platform.

That said, I understand why anyone who already uses Logic Pro on a Mac, or enjoys the alternative workflows offered by other IOS music-making apps, would not be as excited. Cubasis is certainly enough, unless you need busses, markers, takes, plug-in delay compensation, audio presets, and the many other “real DAW” features that only Logic Pro has on the iPad platform.

• @dovj I agree on your current iOS musician take - I think Logic is a big kick of the ball, yet not quite a game changer. To continue in a (Rugby Union) sporting analogy direction that ball is now bouncing near Steinberg’s full back, and Apple’s right wing back is in full flight in that direction…

• edited June 2023

@MadGav Steinberg has the IP in spades to compete in this game (to continue the sporting analogy). While you can complete a credible project in Cubasis, they have yet to put their best players on the field. Apple is on full offense, and Steinberg will be playing a very limited defense until when and if they bring out the heavy hitters (my US origin comes through in my very limited sports terminology!).

What’s frustrating to me is that Steinberg choose to bring out only their “third string” talent, while it’s very clear that Apple has been building Logic Pro iPad for several years now. Shouldn’t the Cubasis team have expected Apple to show up with a “Gatling gun?” Why did Steinberg continue to show off their bolt-action hunting rifle?

Too many mixed metaphors? You’re right! I’m in a very weird mood today…

• We now have a real daw? Ha.

These statements are simply not true. Many people have been making music with iOS apps prior to Logic Pro. Many will continue with their workflow and making music. Some will switch. To the average listener, no one knows or cares about the tools used.

For a few, yes. It’s a game changer or a real daw. For everyone else, it’s business as usual.

• @The Krazy Wabbit said:
    We now have a real daw? Ha.

These statements are simply not true. Many people have been making music with iOS apps prior to Logic Pro. Many will continue with their workflow and making music. Some will switch. To the average listener, no one knows or cares about the tools used.

For a few, yes. It’s a game changer or a real daw. For everyone else, it’s business as usual.

In some way you're right, but, nothing present on iPad was near Logic Pro before 23rd of may...

Apple have giving the "other" 13 years of presenting a real DAW on iPad, but, as many understand, it's expensive to develop apps with this kind of feature list.

As Cubasis, Steinberg could have giving us full Cubase instead of a light version of Cubase, but, probably not a economical movement when still iPad is a small platform in musical business...

• edited August 2023

Re-reading this is like opening a time capsule. And the best part was I didn’t have to do much.

Random meme I found interesting…