Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro is NOT the Game Changier app we think it is…yet

edited May 2023 in Logic Pro

So, hey everyone, hope you’re good. As is tradition here, here’s my controversial post of the year (we’re on year 3…)

Here are a few reasons why:

1. Logic for iPad is not the full version of Logic. Rather, it's an ARM version of the software that has been redesigned for touch. It’s not the full-featured DAW that many people were hoping for.

2. Logic for iPad will not support full automation. Now, don’t get me wrong…it’s definitely a solid improvement over GarageBand, it will still have its limitations. AUv3 Plug-in automation, in particular, will be lacking.

3. Another limitation of Logic for iPad is that it only supports AUv3 plugins. While this will encourage some developers to create iPad-compatible versions of their plugins, it also means that users will need to purchase new versions of plugins that they already own.

4. In addition, there is the possibility that users may need to pay for extra instruments. Many instruments are missing from Logic for iPad, and users may need to pay extra to access them.

Honestly, Logic for iPad is essentially an upgraded version of GarageBand for iPad, and a lighter version of Logic. It’ll be for Logic users looking for a way to edit ideas on the go, demo ideas in a studio session without needing to disconnect their studio setup, for GarageBand users who are looking for the next step, and for people who do not want to pay the full price of admission for Logic Pro for Mac.

Again, there’s a reason Logic for iPad is offered as a subscription, rather than a one-time purchase.

So, these are my thoughts. But hey, I could be wrong. I actually vouched for Logic to come on the iPad, yet I’ve got rid of my M1 iPad and I’m definitely satisfied with the iPad 9.

Comments

• Do you have a source for this info? I haven't seen anything online confirming or denying this info as facts.

• There's no evidence for or against these claims.

• Existing threads not good enough for yah?

• No source for AUV3 automation thing.

• @AudioGus said:
    Existing threads not good enough for yah?

LOL!! :smiley:

• This guy is like a walking Facebook algo. He’s done shit like this in the past trying to get people engaged, albeit in a counter productive fashion. Then after several pages of ABF members arguing, returned and acts as if he’s simply trying meaningful dialogue.

• edited May 2023

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    This guy is like a walking Facebook algo. He’s done shit like this in the past trying to get people engaged, albeit in a counter productive fashion. Then after several pages of ABF members arguing, returned and acts as if he’s simply trying meaningful dialogue.

Lol there's nothing meaningful about talking out one's rump and expecting people to just buy it at face value.

Remember the good times where we simply argued about whether or not the subscription pricing was a good thing or not? I kinda miss those days. 😂 (obvious sarcasm)

• @seonnthaproducer said:

1. Logic for iPad is not the full version of Logic. Rather, it's an ARM version of the software that has been redesigned for touch. It’s not the full-featured DAW that many people were hoping for.

Yeah, I’m really disappointed in the ARM version of Logic Pro that is running on my M1 Mac…

Wish I could get the full version! 🙄

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Do you have a source for this info? I haven't seen anything online confirming or denying this info as facts.

From what I can see it is basically a pro version of Garageband and still missing a lot from Logic.

• @BroCoast said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Do you have a source for this info? I haven't seen anything online confirming or denying this info as facts.

From what I can see it is basically a pro version of Garageband and still missing a lot from Logic.

I wish they would just release the real GarageBand instead of more lite version crap.

• @BroCoast said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

That would rather suck if this is the case, but we have a little under two weeks to go before we can try the one month free trial and find out for ourselves. I'd rather create music in the meantime with what I have currently rather than waste time speculating.

Anyways, after the initial shock of Logic coming to iPad wore off, I'm questioning if an all-in-one environment is the right move for me. Call me "stuck in my ways", but I kind of like hopping between apps. Like navigating in a virtual studio where one thing does this and another thing does that. I love how quickly I can operate between NS2, Gadget, FLSM, Cubasis 3, and so on and so forth.

If the iPad version of Logic is basically a pimped out version of Garageband, then I don't know if I'd like that. But with the aforementioned free trial, it'd be a shame to not give it the old college try.

• I too am finding it hard to fill the time patiently until Logic ships

• Some desperately seek attention by creating threads and formulate the content like they ‘know’ something that others don’t. I call that social media / influencer disease and it’s more like a toxic virus.

Until we get our hands or fingers on it we can only play the ‘feature guessing’ game.
    I suggest we all keep cool until the 23rd and then post our reactions…

• Damn I was really hoping for a half baked desktop port. I can’t BELIEVE they had the audacity to redesign it for the touch screen. (This is sarcasm).

And again where’s the source for this info and why does this seem so whiny and butthurt? Don’t like it don’t use it. When it is finally released that is

• Guys rather to speculate during 2 weeks, waste of time, do music and release it here if you want.

• For the folks that say it’s just a beefed up version of GarageBand - it would be great if you could point to some specifics that made you come to that conclusion. I’ve come to a different conclusion after closely studying screenshots so I’d love to compare notes.

• @mjm1138 said:
    I too am finding it hard to fill the time patiently until Logic ships

I’m trying to learn as much as I can about Logic… Hope all the features are there from the desktop… or, I will be wasting my time looking at all these videos on Logic Pro X (Desktop).

Hope we get confirmation that this will not be the full version or, what is missing..
    Read that the next Logic Pro X desktop will be adding stuff from the iOS version..

Let’s see..

• @zzrwood said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Yeah, I’m really disappointed in the ARM version of Logic Pro that is running on my M1 Mac…

Wish I could get the full version! 🙄

Ha. :wink: Yes, just that wacky point 1. is enough to indicate OP doesn't know what he's talking about.

• @Eclipxe said:
    For the folks that say it’s just a beefed up version of GarageBand - it would be great if you could point to some specifics that made you come to that conclusion. I’ve come to a different conclusion after closely studying screenshots so I’d love to compare notes.

From the Apple page for Logic for iPad.

It basically looks like it will be Garageband but with:

Proper routing, midi/audio hardware settings, track groups, buses, sidechain etc.
    More stock audio processing plugins (looks like it will have everything Logic has.)
    More arpeggiator/sequencer options like Logic has.
    More instrument types and samplers
    More powerful audio & MIDI editing

So it will have a lot more than Garageband does. However because of the adaptation to the touch environment it’s not going to be like using Mac Logic on the iPad. It’s still going to feel like you’re using Garageband which isn’t a bad thing. Just that it will become cumbersome when working with large projects. OTOH some tasks might actually feel better on the iPad than the desktop version.

We will see. 🙂

• It’s about time I purchase another DAW that I don’t use. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 12.

I don’t use GarageBand in the spirit of rebellion against being controlled by Apple and I probably will not use Logic IOS either. But I might risk $5 for a month just to see if there are features in there I simply must have like “nudge”.

I suspect @seonnthaproducer will probably get most of this right… it makes sense to give the UI a serious redesign. Getting a whole market of plug-in makers to follow along is a bit like cat herding. Can VST’s be made to function natively on IOS? Does the vendor get to decide if they want to announce support and the mandated Apple Store distribution deal?

Anyway. How about that Final Cut Pro?

• Is it even controversial when it’s just conjecture?

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    3. Another limitation of Logic for iPad is that it only supports AUv3 plugins. While this will encourage some developers to create iPad-compatible versions of their plugins, it also means that users will need to purchase new versions of plugins that they already own.

You've lost me there. Why would anyone need to purchase plugins they already own?

• edited May 2023

@Ailerom said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

You've lost me there. Why would anyone need to purchase plugins they already own?

I guess because the desktop version supports AUv2 which is still more 'standard' for most Mac developers? So if your favourite desktop plugin was AUv2 only you'd need to purchase an AUv3 version for the ipad (if it was available). I'm only guessing here because I know very little about plugin support for Logic Pro on the desktop...

• @BroCoast said:

@Eclipxe said:
    For the folks that say it’s just a beefed up version of GarageBand - it would be great if you could point to some specifics that made you come to that conclusion. I’ve come to a different conclusion after closely studying screenshots so I’d love to compare notes.

From the Apple page for Logic for iPad.

It basically looks like it will be Garageband but with:

Proper routing, midi/audio hardware settings, track groups, buses, sidechain etc.
    More stock audio processing plugins (looks like it will have everything Logic has.)
    More arpeggiator/sequencer options like Logic has.
    More instrument types and samplers
    More powerful audio & MIDI editing

So it will have a lot more than Garageband does. However because of the adaptation to the touch environment it’s not going to be like using Mac Logic on the iPad. It’s still going to feel like you’re using Garageband which isn’t a bad thing. Just that it will become cumbersome when working with large projects. OTOH some tasks might actually feel better on the iPad than the desktop version.

We will see. 🙂

Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure how it looks like it will feel like using GarageBand? It looks much much closer to Logic Pro on desktop than GarageBand. But stepping back….I mean GarageBand on desktop is just logic but with fewer features. It’s the same basic interface! Logic Pro for iPad doesn’t look anything like GarageBand on iPad to me, but even if it did - the point is having the advanced capabilities, the more advanced instruments and effects, etc.

• @Ailerom said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Because AUv3 I believe can only be delivered from the AppStore therefore if you already own the AUv2 version you’ll have to buy the compatible version again, I think this is what he means.

• Got people commenting about an app that’s not even out yet. As REAL guru Pete Johns said “This is only version 1.0”.
    There’s plenty here that’s not even on Logic desktop just like there’s plenty of iOS GarageBand goodness that never made it to a Mac OS.
    I get frustrated by missing features in most DAWS but Logic for iPad is more than I could ever hope for . If this isn’t the “Full version “ of Logic then I don’t need it . There’s no resin not to be ecstatic over this .. a true tsunami of IOS l audio and video creation .

• @CracklePot said:

@BroCoast said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I wish they would just release the real GarageBand instead of more lite version crap.

Garage band pro!

• No matter if he‘s right or not but it‘s better to keep the expectations a lil lower. The hype level is unreal currently and i can see a lot of sad faces if it‘s not the real deal. Which i also don‘t believe. It can still be a great daw no doubt but not sure i gonna pay 50/year for a garageband pro version.

• I’ve had my fun and that’s all that matters.

• So, on day one, no doubt it will have many features not quite there or not to the standard of what people on this forum wants. But, what software does? I’m quite sure the feature set will not be exactly the same as desktop Logic… as much as I love my iPad, it still can’t hold up to my MacBook Pro M1 and the feature set of macOS. Right now there are limitations, which may or may not be addressed in future hardware/software on iPads, but I’m absolutely so pleased we are getting Logic on the iPad anyway. I’ve not doubt it will be the best DAW ( whether that’s day one or day two, remains to be seen). The OP here does not have early access to Logic, so this is pure speculation on their part, let’s just wait and see what the 23rd brings… I’ll bet there will be more happy faces than sad ones 😀