Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Devs, please develop a simple audio file clip launcher

Comments

• What about the clip launcher in LK?

• edited January 2023

You could map your audio to individual keys in Chameleon and then launch with a midi keyboard or midi sequencer. Works nice for samples. But just launching from Koala pads via midi works just as well.

• @andowrites said:
    What about the clip launcher in LK?

There is a midi launcher. Don’t see how to load audio samples. Not intuitive. Not going to buy more apps without sufficient documentation. Thats a big problem. Buying and then discovering the bought app does not do what I thought.

• Loopy looks like it might work. But $30? Have yet bought an app that expensive. And certainly won’t buy a sampler for that amount. A full featured DAW, sure, but a sampler?

• @day_empire said:
    Loopy looks like it might work. But $30? Have yet bought an app that expensive. And certainly won’t buy a sampler for that amount. A full featured DAW, sure, but a sampler?

Loopy Pro has a free trial period. There’s a lot more to it than ‘just a sampler’ but it would give you a chance to see if 30 quid is too much for your use case.

• @day_empire said:
    Loopy looks like it might work. But $30? Have yet bought an app that expensive. And certainly won’t buy a sampler for that amount. A full featured DAW, sure, but a sampler?

It’s an extremely deep app that is well on the way to becoming a DAW. Even has a timeline mode. Plus you are contributing to the owner of this website, which to me is worth more than any app in isolation.

• @day_empire : what is it that Koala doesn't do that you need?

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    1. Launchpad would be the simplest one I recommend that is similar to Ableton. You'll have to use it in IAA mode.
    2. Koala, since it's now AUv3 comes to mind.
    3. I've heard great things about Loopy Pro but never got into it.

Usually, when I'm clip Launching, I do it in Garageband. I rather prepare the audio files I want to clip launch, then when I need to clip launch, I do it live. I was planning on moving it to Remix Live since it now supports MIDI controller but I haven't yet got a good workflow for it.

Very good video. Thanks.

• jason said:
    So no need for new approach then?
    Everything flattened with dramboo and brambos recommendations again?

So we can close the AppStore for music apps.
    Everything already there. All others are pure redundancy.

Was even one brambos app mentioned? Drambo I saw mentioned, but the poster specifically stated that it was probably overkill for such a simple need, so I don't even get where this comment is coming from. Tons of suggestions of apps by different devs have been made here!

• I’d like to see one with a row of say six spinning barrels on their side, each of which would contain an unlimited amount of clips (with flexible ways of ordering/arranging them), each barrel would have a separate out. Each barrel is then rotated or spun - the clip then plays quantised following the completion of the one that was previously there.

• jason said:

@Gavinski said:

jason said:
    So no need for new approach then?
    Everything flattened with dramboo and brambos recommendations again?

So we can close the AppStore for music apps.
    Everything already there. All others are pure redundancy.

Was even one brambos app mentioned? Drambo I saw mentioned, but the poster specifically stated that it was probably overkill for such a simple need, so I don't even get where this comment is coming from. Tons of suggestions of apps by different devs have been made here!

heheh …
    it was pure irony.
    and a word game: drambo, brambo

OK 😂

• I’ve thought about using Beathawk for this - a tad overkill I know - but actually the main party pooper for me is the fact it can’t loop samples. Otherwise it does the job, albeit in the form of a sledgehammer cracking a walnut

• @day_empire said:
    Launchpad works great in standalone. Completely braindead in AUM. Pads do not launch samples. The search is on again.

Not sure what you are meaning here? Launchpad works fine in AUM - it has the return to AUM icon at the side. You can launch samples - you can change the pad from loop to trigger.

• @robosardine said:
    I’d like to see one with a row of say six spinning barrels on their side, each of which would contain an unlimited amount of clips (with flexible ways of ordering/arranging them), each barrel would have a separate out. Each barrel is then rotated or spun - the clip then plays quantised following the completion of the one that was previously there.

You mean flick left/right to choose a different loop?
    That would be a nice feature for Loopy Pro.

• @wired2moon said:
    I’ve thought about using Beathawk for this - a tad overkill I know - but actually the main party pooper for me is the fact it can’t loop samples. Otherwise it does the job, albeit in the form of a sledgehammer cracking a walnut

Actually Beathawk can loop samples, but they need to be in Apple loops format. For creating your own, I only found Beatmaker 3 capable of exporting Apple loops aiffs, with samplepacks, if they provide aiff format, the loopable sounds are usually also Apple loops so they can be used as loops in Beathawk.

• Why would you not use Koala for this beats me. Just ignore the other features. Koala has the most fun workflow anyway.

• @day_empire said:
    Launchpad works great in standalone. Completely braindead in AUM. Pads do not launch samples. The search is on again.

This sounds like you did not turn on Background Audio in Launchpad.

Launchpad works fine with AUM.

• edited January 2023

@day_empire : Fwiw I currently use Koala inside AUM for exactly what you describe - just live triggering off the pads, very very simple, with great integration to.AudioShare, and you can save the sets as Koala ‘songs’.

In fact I just did this:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/53863/wires-first-go-strega#latest

I wrote a series of phrases in Talker, a non-music app, screen recorded me sequentially triggering them, opened the video as audio in Koala, sliced them all to the pads as one shots, then opened a second AUM session where I used the backing track I’d just made as a wav file, and triggered the Koala pads live as I listened to the playback, recording this second go round as a new mixed track straight into AudioShare for uploading to SoundCloud. Easy-peasy.

I really can’t think of a faster or more efficient workflow, and Koala integrated well for using existing libraries or working with your own newly created samples, all inside the AUM environment.

• @rs2000 said:

@robosardine said:
    I’d like to see one with a row of say six spinning barrels on their side, each of which would contain an unlimited amount of clips (with flexible ways of ordering/arranging them), each barrel would have a separate out. Each barrel is then rotated or spun - the clip then plays quantised following the completion of the one that was previously there.

You mean flick left/right to choose a different loop?
    That would be a nice feature for Loopy Pro.

Not really - I was meaning spin the barrel to find a different loop. If you imagine six barrels with the ability to rotate side by side. Each time you revolve or spin one it lands on a different chamber/loop which plays a different audio clip - so you could select it by moving it round - or spin it and have a random one fall into place. It would be giving you a high variety of clips to mix and match in each lane instead of having only six deep in the likes of Launchpad.

• People keep suggesting Koala, but you don't respond. Do you have a problem with Koala?

• edited January 2023

Many good suggestions here. I think it depends on your use case.

If you want to perform live with performance effects and use a controller like Novation Launchpad, go with the Launchpad app or Loopy Pro.

If your performance needs are simple but also want to trigger the samples from sequencers, go with Koala.

• @Simon said:
    People keep suggesting Koala, but you don't respond. Do you have a problem with Koala?

I think the problem with Koala is the Launching of the clips - in order to do so you would need to have them all muted - then unmute as you go. But there is no real way of knowing which sample is which unless you have them memorised. Then they only flicker when playing and you can lose track of what is going on quickly.
    Koala is great as a sample/sequencer, but it just isn’t a clip launcher.

• I think OP found that Launchpad does what he wants -- but had problems working with AUM because Background Audio wasn't turned on in Launchpad's settings.

• I second this suggestion, although it might be even too barebones for the OP. The developer also has some terrific youtube videos.

• The audio clip launcher in NuRack seems like it would be a good fit.

• AUM would take things to another level if it added an "Audio Clip Launch" channel option, where instead of one audio clip and effects (or all MIDI like the MIDI channel) you just had ALL audio clip slots with launching options (which could then be routed to a "normal" channel for effects if you want).

Not sure if that's where @j_liljedahl wants to take his app, but I wouldn't mind if he did!

• Am ibwrong> @ChimmyChungaFace said:

AUM would take things to another level if it added an "Audio Clip Launch" channel option, where instead of one audio clip and effects (or all MIDI like the MIDI channel) you just had ALL audio clip slots with launching options (which could then be routed to a "normal" channel for effects if you want).

Not sure if that's where @j_liljedahl wants to take his app, but I wouldn't mind if he did!

Excellent idea!

• @Gavinski said:
    Am ibwrong> @ChimmyChungaFace said:

AUM would take things to another level if it added an "Audio Clip Launch" channel option, where instead of one audio clip and effects (or all MIDI like the MIDI channel) you just had ALL audio clip slots with launching options (which could then be routed to a "normal" channel for effects if you want).

Excellent idea!

Aren't there several audio clip launcher plugins already that you can use in AUM? Such as Koala, Loopy Pro, etc.

• @robosardine said:

@Simon said:
    People keep suggesting Koala, but you don't respond. Do you have a problem with Koala?

I think the problem with Koala is the Launching of the clips - in order to do so you would need to have them all muted - then unmute as you go. But there is no real way of knowing which sample is which unless you have them memorised. Then they only flicker when playing and you can lose track of what is going on quickly.
    Koala is great as a sample/sequencer, but it just isn’t a clip launcher.

Not sure what you mean with all this muting business. You can set the Koala pads to Loop and Hold, then trigger them on/off with some keyboard/pads. Or set them to Loop but not Hold, then trigger them with a keyboard that is in Hold mode. For instance using the AUM keyboard.
    I think you can also name the pads for having the clips organized.