Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Devs, please develop a simple audio file clip launcher

Comments

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:
    Am ibwrong> @ChimmyChungaFace said:

AUM would take things to another level if it added an "Audio Clip Launch" channel option, where instead of one audio clip and effects (or all MIDI like the MIDI channel) you just had ALL audio clip slots with launching options (which could then be routed to a "normal" channel for effects if you want).

Not sure if that's where @j_liljedahl wants to take his app, but I wouldn't mind if he did!

Excellent idea!

Aren't there several audio clip launcher plugins already that you can use in AUM? Such as Koala, Loopy Pro, etc.

Yes loopy pro is up to the task.
    Koala is super easy to use but have some drawback.: it doesn’t stream samples to store them in ram so it may lead in crash iif you use long samples.
    That said loopy also crash on my iPad and I lose my songs many times as it often crash when saving.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

AUM would take things to another level if it added an "Audio Clip Launch" channel option, where instead of one audio clip and effects (or all MIDI like the MIDI channel) you just had ALL audio clip slots with launching options (which could then be routed to a "normal" channel for effects if you want).

Not sure if that's where @j_liljedahl wants to take his app, but I wouldn't mind if he did!

Excellent idea!

Aren't there several audio clip launcher plugins already that you can use in AUM? Such as Koala, Loopy Pro, etc.

None that I have found that have much appeal. Loopy Pro is probably the best I've come across, but I found it to be overly complex. A simple clip launcher channel in AUM would be ideal to me, with simple commands after the clip came to an end, like: Loop, Stop, Play Next, Play Previous, Play Random, Play Other, etc. And then maybe some commands for when you tap on a clip: Stop Playing (Currently Playing Clip), Play Immediately (Not Quantized), Play On Next Beat, Play On Next Bar, etc.

• @bleep said:

@robosardine said:

@Simon said:
    People keep suggesting Koala, but you don't respond. Do you have a problem with Koala?

I think the problem with Koala is the Launching of the clips - in order to do so you would need to have them all muted - then unmute as you go. But there is no real way of knowing which sample is which unless you have them memorised. Then they only flicker when playing and you can lose track of what is going on quickly.
    Koala is great as a sample/sequencer, but it just isn’t a clip launcher.

Not sure what you mean with all this muting business. You can set the Koala pads to Loop and Hold, then trigger them on/off with some keyboard/pads. Or set them to Loop but not Hold, then trigger them with a keyboard that is in Hold mode. For instance using the AUM keyboard.
    I think you can also name the pads for having the clips organized.

That sounds interesting. Could you maybe do a quick video showing this in action?

• The loop and hold thing in action: see latest link I posted in the Koala thread just now.

• @ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

None that I have found that have much appeal. Loopy Pro is probably the best I've come across, but I found it to be overly complex. A simple clip launcher channel in AUM would be ideal to me, with simple commands after the clip came to an end, like: Loop, Stop, Play Next, Play Previous, Play Random, Play Other, etc. And then maybe some commands for when you tap on a clip: Stop Playing (Currently Playing Clip), Play Immediately (Not Quantized), Play On Next Beat, Play On Next Bar, etc.

So, not that simple a simple clip launcher then… 🙄

• @attakk said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

It can be set up to be ubersimple. I imagine that if someone finds it complicated, they could probably find someone to help the set up a template so that they can use it from then on.

• @NoncompliantBryant said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    You can easily load any sound in segments or reslice and not slice it, just play a one shot on one pad.
    Maybe AutoPad.

Maybes, Not AU but IAA and AB3

Samplebot
    Sound weaver
    Sampletoy - free
    Beat Machine - free
    Noisepad
    SirSampleton

Wait... Autopad can load samples? I thought it was a straight up pad rompler.

It does. But I haven’t tried it recently. I tried it a few times when the developer first implemented it, and it was a little finicky, but it’s been awhile.

• @bleep said:
    The loop and hold thing in action: see latest link I posted in the Koala thread just now.

The one with the ambient loops?

• @Jeezs said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

Koala is super easy to use but have some drawback.: it doesn’t stream samples to store them in ram so it may lead in crash iif you use long samples.
    That said loopy also crash on my iPad and I lose my songs many times as it often crash when saving.

My experience has been different. I have found loopy to be reliable and haven't lost songs.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Jeezs said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

My experience has been different. I have found loopy to be reliable and haven't lost songs.

My previous statement is not totally correct loopy pro only crash when used as a plugin in AUM with loads of samples .if you use as stand alone it works flawlessly

• @attakk said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

That's actually absurdly simple. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. Here... This may be more up your alley...

• @espiegel123 said:

@attakk said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

It can be set up to be ubersimple. I imagine that if someone finds it complicated, they could probably find someone to help the set up a template so that they can use it from then on.

I was commenting on the premise that it would be simple to develop - which looking at that list of requirements it certainly would not be.

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

I wouldn't build something like that into AUM, but it's a good candidate for an AUv3 plugin IMHO.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

I wouldn't build something like that into AUM, but it's a good candidate for an AUv3 plugin IMHO.

But you know how it goes.. if one makes something "simple", users will complain and ask for features, and then it stops being simple, and the cycle repeats :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

But you know how it goes.. if one makes something "simple", users will complain and ask for features, and then it stops being simple, and the cycle repeats :)

Just waiting to be able to set the length of recordings in AUM. :)

• @BroCoast said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Just waiting to be able to set the length of recordings in AUM. :)

That will be part of a larger rework of how recording works in AUM, and there are other big things higher up on the list. Next planned new feature will be MIDI Clock Receive. But for the moment I'm fighting against new iOS/M2 quirks (for example locked buffer size).

• edited January 2023

@j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

Exactly! I see the thread title and thought “ok - something simple” and then I saw that list of what constitutes “simple” and simple (from a development point of view) it is not!

@attakk said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

That's actually absurdly simple. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. Here... This may be more up your alley...

Classy response. Nice. Love you too 😘

• If a dev was to make a "simple clip launcher" I wonder how many people would actually buy it?

Most people who need a clip launcher have some app (Koala, LoopyPro and all the others mentioned here) to do that already - except for the 1 guy who won't use those apps because they are not simple enough for his taste.

• @Simon said:
    If a dev was to make a "simple clip launcher" I wonder how many people would actually buy it?

Most people who need a clip launcher have some app (Koala, LoopyPro and all the others mentioned here) to do that already - except for the 1 guy who won't use those apps because they are not simple enough for his taste.

I would buy it in an instant, and it would likely be one of my most often used apps. If Launchpad was an AU with separate out per lane it would be almost perfect.

• edited January 2023

@robosardine said:
    I would buy it in an instant, and it would likely be one of my most often used apps.

Well, there you go. That's 2 buyers. :smiley:

I imagine a number of people here would buy it but I doubt the total number of sales would make it worthwhile for a developer to do. But maybe it would - what do I know. Maybe it is a trvial effort for one of our skilled iOS developers?

• wimwim
    edited January 2023

@ChimmyChungaFace said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Excellent idea!

This would be trivial for someone with moderate patience and skill to set up as a template in Loopy Pro. I'm sure more than one person would take on the challenge if you're able to articulate exactly what you need and patient enough to work through explaining where it works and doesn't work for you.

That as opposed to a developer investing several hundreds of hours developing something that might or might not sell nearly enough to cover the cost of the effort, and the uncertainty that buyers would be satisfied or if they would constantly complain there aren't enough features.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not poo-pooing your idea. It's a great one. It just seems like there's a far simpler path to getting what you want using Loopy Pro with help from other users if needed.

(And ... sorry ... but I agree with an earlier comment. That ain't a simple app to develop based on your quick listing of desired features - not by a long-shot.)

• @day_empire said:
    I own Neon. A nice clip launcher. But what I’m looking for resembles the existing AUM file player but with multiple slots in one instance, as shown in the admittedly crude drawing. It would play the clip and stop. No BPM controls. Only a volume knob which is not in the drawing. In my case, the music is not dependent on beat. I usually do beatless ambient and drone.

Sounds like you’re describing a soundboard. Those are available already, but their quality on the App Store seems highly variable.

• @NeuM said:
    Sounds like you’re describing a soundboard.

That's the word I was looking for - soundboard!

Are there any that work in AUM?

• Maybe Michael could revive his old SampleBot app and make it AUv3? :)

• Apple's lack of proper documentation for Auv3 seems to be a major part of the problem. Just wondering out loud whether they will ever document this properly.

jason said:
    I could make one.
    In fact there is already a prototype of such thing available in my arsenal. ^^

But I think, (especially) the initiator of this thread and many others here too, would not be willing to pay for such effort at all.

Making audio units is in general not a trivial task. If simple or not. It is always difficult.

Alone the setup of the AppStore with this project (or any other app) needs days. An all the fight with the review teams and such…

A developer usually has an hourly estimate of at least 20$ (if he is extremely cheap).

Estimated development cost of such app - hourly income core coding, graphics, ui-design in sum: approx. 2500$ minimum (again, it is very cheap), from first scratch to the release. Any further maintaining or user support is not included in this calculation.

This are initial development costs, there is not even one penny earned at this point. No marketing no promotion, no 3rd party involved, nothing, because this all usually costs extra money.

However, this amount of money would not even compensate inside 1 year in the AUv3 audio niche market, I guess.

No. I actually KNOW.
    And this thing would not even list in the top 200 music apps ever.

• jason said:
    Apples development docs got allot better lately.
    The main problems are not so much the docs but the entire inconsistency of the frameworks and main concepts behind Apples entire MIDI and audio core.

Everything is so inconsistent, opaque (in sense of intransparent) and conceptually often quite strange. I.e. the sample rate thing across all platforms, even on the Mac. Loads of undocumented stuff and nearly everything is subjects of trial and error...

If I think back to the beginning. A VST plugin was written in few days and you had allot of freedom this way. It was easy to understand C/C++ code, that just worked. I mean, it is basically just DSP.

Writing something similar for Apple devices needs 10 times longer due to the entire system architecture and all the trial and error and the workarounds you must apply to get something running satisfactory. And audio performance is finally by the way also much more worse.

Apples continuous deprecations also counts to this. A code that was written 3 years before will most likely no longer compile today. Swift is now the featured language of choice, but the half of the core functions is just not addressable with Swift yet, which especially with AUv3 units ends up in using 3 different bridged programming languages to achieve the goals.

Uuups. slightly out of topic now...

No this is very interesting and it's great to see a dev sharing their experience in so much detail, thanks Jens. Could I ask why you choose to code for iOS rather than just making vst plugins?

• Can Koala launch samples (hold + loop) under quantisation? Like in Ableton Live session, hope you understood what I try to say. Also looking for something like OP wants, with multi-out, for AUM. Loopy not an option.

• jason said:
    I mean, if there is a SERIOUS interest in such, i could upload a beta version via TestFlight next. (adding to the 25 other open betas by me. ^^)

Please, God. Send some TIME to me. 🙏

ps. there are actually other videos of this app to, focussing more on the timestretch / pitchshift. But the sound recording is very bad there as I did do it with the macBook Pro‘s microphone.

Definitely interested, yep!

• jason said:
    It's so overwhelming. One person has registered interest.

The interest is there - look at Launchpad - and look at what it could actually be - without all the packs.