Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Non Apple App Stores Coming

Comments

• It’s interesting that a conversation about non-App Store app installation develops into a conversation about dumping shit into the waters that people swim in…

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    My only (minor) concern is that we’ll end up with loads of portal applications like on desktop, e.g. Epic, Steam for games and one for each big music app producer, e.g. IKM, Korg etc

@Simon said:

@ervin said:

@Simon said:
    The EU does what is good for the EU members, not the rest of the world.

That's what the EU is for, yes. But people outside the EU often benefit "as a side effect" as well.

For example, companies can't sell shit food, dangerous toys, or non-standard technical equipment to the EU because of our tough regulations. Theoretically, they could still sell them to you (assuming you're outside the EU), but oftentimes it's more efficient for them to produce the same stuff for everyone globally - and since it has to be the good stuff because of us, you consumers outside the EU also get it, benefitting from our efforts without your governments putting in the hard regulatory work themselves.

There you go, our tax euros at work to make your life better. 🤓👍

So they are kind of global dictators stopping other nations doing what they want to do? "Everyone must obey what the unelected officials in Brussels demand"?

Actually regarding effectively dictating other countries what to do, I think USA, China or Russia are way ahead of EU. EU uses its economic weight to set some standards for products that we import. Sure, the EU is not a choir boy, forced African countries to open their markets which was devastating for their industry. When it comes to “dictatorship” by regulatory laws, I think the world’s biggest dictator is actually California. Maybe closely followed by China.

Unelected. True, but did you actually exactly vote for these people being in power in your country? Did you elect the government of California? For my country, I must say that I didn’t. If you ask me our western democracy is closer to an oligarchy than a real democracy. Just look at the MPs and senators and you know what I mean. But that’s another story.

In the end of the day what powerful countries do is protecting their interests. In the case of regulating digital services to the advantage of consumers and competition there is not really an EU internal lobby against it. That made it easy to decide for consumer friendly laws. As I wrote before, in the EU the car industry was not regulated that much because of a strong EU lobby against it. Consumers ended up with cars that don’t meet modern emission standards.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@realdawei said:
    app stores are a historical failure. Mac appstore is crickets, Microsoft store couldnt sell nada, even Android was going no where until they began to emulate Apples model. Mobile carriers used to have laughable app stores as well who remembers lol.

The one bright spot: iOS App Store….will eventually fail (and go the way of itunes) and the world will go the way of ad driven web apps installed as PWA, powered by web assembly. indie developer revenue will evaporate. Apple will continue its pivot to first party content and cloud subscriptions. (peak at their job postings related to the pro apps - its all about online collaborative tools..which i believe will be monetized)

Sounds depressing

Maybe for indie developers yup. They are getting unwittingly played on this. Their future is cooked. Only big tech outfits will survive…and for anti-AppStore consumers who think they are so smart congratulations ya played yourselves too. App stores have never worked at scale save for a minor historical exception or two.

• wimwim
    edited December 2022

@Krupa said:
    Oo my first thought is Blender 3D , or at least spin off mini apps for things like sculpting or grease pencil…

OK now, that's a benefit I hadn't thought of. The Apple App Store doesn't allow GPL licensed stuff. A third party store could. Now that would be great.

• @tahiche said:
    🍏 I’m going to control and limit what you do with your own device. Because I care for you and you deserve only the best. I’m also gonna get a cut of 30% of every sale, and you won’t be able to sell anywhere else. Taking care of you is expensive…

15% ... unless the app sells over $1,000,000 per year.

• edited December 2022

@SevenSystems said:

@israelite said:

@wim said:
    Yawn. Apps are apps. I don't care if they have to come through Apple. In fact I prefer that they do.
    It's at most a 15%* cost advantage (surely less since there's some $$ overhead for any distribution mechanism). Yay, I might be able to get a $10 app for $8.50. 🙄

* 30% for apps selling over $1,000,000 per year, which sure as shit ain't any music apps.

Yeah, thank you apple for rising prices 20% in Eurozone without any benefits for developers.

To be fair, that is not Apple raising prices, that is the EU failing to participate meaningfully in a global free market environment ;)

Why do you think so and what would be meaningfully? Can you show me where this legendary free market is? I know of a global market but it’s not free.

(that is the EUR/USD chart, showing that the EUR has lost exactly 20% of its value -- that's those 20% increased app prices in Eurozone!)

Your graph is outdated

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/EUR-USD?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjt0pyPu_n7AhURSPEDHQrkBqgQmY0JegQIBRAb&window=5Y

Most of Europe is in a deep energy crisis. That is a very very serious problem. Many people don’t know how to keep their homes warm. That is not funny. Given that, the recent recovery of the Euro is remarkable.

• edited December 2022

@krassmann said:
    Your graph is outdated

The EUR is still way below its former performance in 2020 or so, and Apple can't keep changing price tiers daily!

Most of Europe is in a deep energy crisis. That is a very very serious problem. Many people don’t know how to keep their homes warm. That is not funny. Given that, the recent recovery of the Euro is remarkable.

How is that Apple's problem? Apple is just stoically adjusting prices for currency fluctuations. They're not some kind of charity... (although I admit they like to act as if they were, for marketing reasons...)

• @SevenSystems said:

@krassmann said:
    Your graph is outdated

The EUR is still way below its former performance in 2020 or so, and Apple can't keep changing price tiers daily!

How is that Apple's problem? Apple is just stoically adjusting prices for currency fluctuations. They're not some kind of charity... (although I admit they like to act as if they were, for marketing reasons...)

They actually don’t adjust them very often either - it only seems to be when a trend doesn’t seem to be reversing that they will make a change.

• @michael_m said:

@SevenSystems said:

@krassmann said:
    Your graph is outdated

They actually don’t adjust them very often either - it only seems to be when a trend doesn’t seem to be reversing that they will make a change.

Yes -- I have no insight on the internal mechanisms at Apple obviously, but it does make sense on the surface. Each currency adjustment probably causes a huge amount of overhead with all their international tax business, developer contracts, etc., so it needs to be planned and executed and probably eats up significant resources.

I for one am quite grateful for Apple's work and I'm totally fine with them keeping 15%. If I had to do all the international tax, VAT, and other contractual stuff to be able to sell my apps internationally, I'd spend roughly $10,000 per month on lawyers and accountants! 😄

• It’s only a matter of time (oh about half an hour) before we can use our phones to talk to chatgpt to ask her to generate a prompt for a super-duper new AI inpainting diffuser type thing which can generate any app or computer program you wish, as a web app

It still won’t be able to do hands though

• edited December 2022

@krassmann said:

@SevenSystems said:
    To be fair, that is not Apple raising prices, that is the EU failing to participate meaningfully in a global free market environment ;)

Why do you think so and what would be meaningfully? Can you show me where this legendary free market is? I know of a global market but it’s not free.

I don't want to get too much into political discussions (granted, I started it a little), but recently, I have the impression that the EU is increasingly resorting to often severe market interventions (some of them clearly and explicitly illegal), both internally and externally, to cover up the fact that their currency has failed. They're also basically at odds with any country whose cultural values differ from theirs, while they keep trumpeting that they're the free-est and most tolerant entity in the world.

• @SevenSystems said:

@krassmann said:
    Your graph is outdated

The Euro is on the rise since beginning of October. That’s several weeks, not days. How good to know about Apple’s pricing tier policy. Then I better postpone my app purchases until Apple has adjusted. How can I find out when they do that?

Apple can't keep changing price tiers daily??? WTF? It’s simply conversion. C’mon Apple, I don’t need “good looking” 9.99 prices. I’d actually prefer 10 instead. But even better I’d like that it would represent the actual exchange rate and it would be 9.21. What shall I think of a tech company that can not deal with daily exchange rates? Or at least let me pay it in USD - easy peasy with PayPal where I actually get the correct conversion. TBH one more reason to dump the AppStore.

Don’t get me wrong. That’s not Apple’s fault. Just my comment on the recent Euro performance.

• @krassmann said:

@SevenSystems said:

@krassmann said:
    Your graph is outdated

The Euro is on the rise since beginning of October. That’s several weeks, not days. How good to know about Apple’s pricing tier policy. Then I better postpone my app purchases until Apple has adjusted. How can I find out when they do that?

I guess Apple is just like many huge companies -- very slow. Their processes very beurocratic, etc. It's fine with me, but I also get your point.

Don’t get me wrong. That’s not Apple’s fault. Just my comment on the recent Euro performance.

:) I haven't yet thought about why the Euro is recovering recently, but I bet it won't last long. (I literally bet on it 😁)

Anyway, back to this new app I'm making...

• I’ll probably take a wait-and-see approach on whether any non-Apple App Store ends up worth using, but I do welcome moves toward ensuring people have more say in what they do with devices they bought and “own”. Personally, I like the protections offered by staying in the walled garden, but it’s possible that a third party could create a market based on security AND choice. Not saying I necessarily expect it, but it’s possible. If nothing else, maybe some competition would spur Apple to make the search function in the App Store more useful. In the meantime I do my searches on App Sliced and then buy in the App Store.

• @u0421793 said:
    It’s only a matter of time (oh about half an hour) before we can use our phones to talk to chatgpt to ask her to generate a prompt for a super-duper new AI inpainting diffuser type thing which can generate any app or computer program you wish, as a web app

It still won’t be able to do hands though

Not far fetched at all. I experimented with ChatGPT programming a basic tap instrument in Swift and it got way closer than I expected

• How does this affect iPhone users?

While we still don’t know when the decision will be implemented, it could change how the iPhone works for many users. For instance, sideloading support now means that users will no longer be limited to just the App Store for the apps they wish to use on the iPhone. Similar to Android, they will be able to install package files.

Users will also likely be able to transfer these package files between devices, meaning multiple iPhones will eventually run a file transferred from one user to another. If that sounds like a possible security risk, you should know that it actually is the case. Tampered APK files are one of the major reasons why Android is still considered an easy target for attackers by enthusiasts.

It is very easy for someone without the proper knowledge or expertise to simply use an APK file to install an app, with the APK version often offering extra functionality. However, many of these apps also contain malicious code.

https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/apple-to-allow-sideloading-external-app-stores-what-this-means-for-iphone-users-8324337/

Gee, that sounds great. (Yes, this is sarcasm.)

Be careful what you wish for, EU. You might get it.

• @israelite said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    There's always the option to not install any non-apple appstores. ☺️

Very complicated if you compare it to rooting an Android device. And isn't it illegal?

If EU will force it on apple we as users will win.

Enjoy rampant viruses and having all of your data exposed to hackers. It'll make the EU just like living in China or Russia.

• @Carnbot said:
    There will be less barriers to becoming a developer for iOS now. That's only a good thing.

What barriers?

• @Simon said:

@ervin said:

@Simon said:
    The EU does what is good for the EU members, not the rest of the world.

That's what the EU is for, yes. But people outside the EU often benefit "as a side effect" as well.

For example, companies can't sell shit food, dangerous toys, or non-standard technical equipment to the EU because of our tough regulations. Theoretically, they could still sell them to you (assuming you're outside the EU), but oftentimes it's more efficient for them to produce the same stuff for everyone globally - and since it has to be the good stuff because of us, you consumers outside the EU also get it, benefitting from our efforts without your governments putting in the hard regulatory work themselves.

There you go, our tax euros at work to make your life better. 🤓👍

So they are kind of global dictators stopping other nations doing what they want to do? "Everyone must obey what the unelected officials in Brussels demand"?

No. That would be the USA. Historically speaking.

• edited December 2022

@Simon said:
    I wonder what our iOS developers think of this move? Better or worse for them?

Does it mean even more competition for consumer dollars?

Oh, good point. And with the new pricing model Apple will be rolling out (where developers will be able to charge less than ninety-nine cents for an app) this will mean that developers in the EU will be competing with more cheap and "free" ripoff titles than ever. That can't be good for their business there.

• edited December 2022

@wim said:

@Krupa said:
    Oo my first thought is Blender 3D , or at least spin off mini apps for things like sculpting or grease pencil…

OK now, that's a benefit I hadn't thought of. The Apple App Store doesn't allow GPL licensed stuff. A third party store could. Now that would be great.

Opening iOS to competing App Stores doesn't mean "everything" will run on iOS. If it's not in the Xcode / Swift SDK, you still won't be able to run it.

And by the way, other App Stores will still have to pay Apple to have this access.

• edited December 2022

Also looking forward to Facebook creating their own App Store… and getting rid of all the do not track protections or fake background audio snooping. Fine you may not be dumb enough to install it, but some innocent yoofs in ya household will, and FB will triangulate the ish out of you. Contacts at all.

Let’s celebrate this bold action!

• @NeuM said:

@wim said:

@Krupa said:

Opening iOS to competing App Stores doesn't mean "everything" will run on iOS. If it's not in the Xcode / Swift SDK, you still won't be able to run it.

And by the way, other App Stores will still have to pay Apple to have this access.

Yeah for sure, like I said later in the thread it probably won’t happen, but at least now it’s possible, so I can start to work on the devs and foundation. They’re pretty well resourced nowadays, and recognise the value of wider use cases.

• I’ve been signing 3rd party apps for ages. It’s great to be able to load emulators and whatnot. Maybe we will finally get a ps2 emulator and I’ll finally be able to play ssx in bed

• Re: the "prices will go down and that will hurt the developers" argument - read up on what happened when the EU announced it would ban intra-EU mobile roaming charges.

Every single multinational mobile service provider cried their eyes out and rolled out exquisite assessments by respected academics and economists explaining how this would ruin the market, destroy Innovation and investment, hurt the consumers, lower tax revenues, you name it - just every tragedy you can think of. Some also threatened to leave the EU market if the law ever came out.

Then the EU introduced the law.

The very next day - nothing happened. Consumers started using their phones all over the EU for no extra charges. The service providers acted like they had never had any concerns ever, and we never heard of those economists and academics with their smart assessments again.

Ps. Now that providers in the UK free market are not strangled by the evil EU dictatorship any more, they quickly discovered that the roaming charges may be necessary after all. 🤷

• If this opens up iOS to piracy I’m not going to be a happy camper (and probably out of here).

• @ervin said:
    Re: the "prices will go down and that will hurt the developers" argument - read up on what happened when the EU announced it would ban intra-EU mobile roaming charges.

Every single multinational mobile service provider cried their eyes out and rolled out exquisite assessments by respected academics and economists explaining how this would ruin the market, destroy Innovation and investment, hurt the consumers, lower tax revenues, you name it - just every tragedy you can think of. Some also threatened to leave the EU market if the law ever came out.

Then the EU introduced the law.

The very next day - nothing happened. Consumers started using their phones all over the EU for no extra charges. The service providers acted like they had never had any concerns ever, and we never heard of those economists and academics with their smart assessments again.

Ps. Now that providers in the UK free market are not strangled by the evil EU dictatorship any more, they quickly discovered that the roaming charges may be necessary after all. 🤷

Yeah funny that, and I mean peculiar 😅

• @SevenSystems said:
    :) I haven't yet thought about why the Euro is recovering recently, but I bet it won't last long. (I literally bet on it 😁)

Okay, that explains your earlier comment about the "dying euro", which didn't seem to make much sense as a general statement. But if you need it to die because you shorted it, that's different 😀 That's fair enough.

I'm not saying good luck though, because I have an interest in it surviving. 👍

• @ervin said:

@SevenSystems said:

Okay, that explains your earlier comment about the "dying euro", which didn't seem to make much sense as a general statement. But if you need it to die because you shorted it, that's different 😀 That's fair enough.

😄 Well, at least we've resolved our conflict of interest peacefully! Something that doesn't happen too often in global politics recently...

• @SevenSystems said:

@ervin said:

@SevenSystems said:

😄 Well, at least we've resolved our conflict of interest peacefully! Something that doesn't happen too often in global politics recently...

🤝