Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• LOL. No way I'd ever use sideloaded apps on my iPhone or iPad. The EU is run by fools for demanding this.

• There's always the option to not install any non-apple appstores. ☺️

• wimwim
    edited December 2022

Yawn. Apps are apps. I don't care if they have to come through Apple. In fact I prefer that they do.
    It's at most a 15%* cost advantage (surely less since there's some $$ overhead for any distribution mechanism). Yay, I might be able to get a $10 app for $8.50. 🙄

* 30% for apps selling over $1,000,000 per year, which sure as shit ain't any music apps.

• wimwim
    edited December 2022

On the other hand, if an alternative App Store includes an effective way for developers to charge for version upgrades, might be worth it in terms of helping developers maintain a usable business model.

• @wim said:
    On the other hand, if an alternative App Store includes an effective way for developers to charge for version upgrades, might be worth it in terms of helping developers maintain a usable business model.

Actually that's something I didn't stop to consider. Might be good then. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@wim said:

Actually that's something I didn't stop to consider. Might be good then. :)

Yeh, except then to most people, unlike us here, that new App Store would seem like a ripoff compared to the Apple store.

• Probably a good thing. Apparently Apple considered removing the twitter app from the appstore. I'm not even on twitter and I don't care about twitter, but as a matter of principle I don't think Apple should have that kind of monopolistic power. Maybe I wouldn't even use a non-apple store (since I do have a high level of trust that apps from the appstore won't have malware or accidentally brick the device or whatever), but won't hurt to have the option.

• edited December 2022

@Stargazer said:
    Probably a good thing. Apparently Apple considered removing the twitter app from the appstore. I'm not even on twitter and I don't care about twitter, but as a matter of principle I don't think Apple should have that kind of monopolistic power. Maybe I wouldn't even use a non-apple store (since I do have a high level of trust that apps from the appstore won't have malware or accidentally brick the device or whatever), but won't hurt to have the option.

Elon Musk met with Tim Cook face-to-face and confirmed that Twitter was never in danger of being removed from the App Store. He was misinformed. He admitted this on Twitter.

• edited December 2022

Incidentally, I don't know how many here have older iPads or iPad Pros but I've been having a devil of a time getting connected to the App Store since the update. Anyone else?

UPDATE: Signing out and then signing back in to the App Store seems to have fixed the issue.

• @NeuM said:

@Stargazer said:
    Probably a good thing. Apparently Apple considered removing the twitter app from the appstore. I'm not even on twitter and I don't care about twitter, but as a matter of principle I don't think Apple should have that kind of monopolistic power. Maybe I wouldn't even use a non-apple store (since I do have a high level of trust that apps from the appstore won't have malware or accidentally brick the device or whatever), but won't hurt to have the option.

Elon Musk met with Tim Cook face-to-face and confirmed that Twitter was never in danger of being removed from the App Store. He was misinformed. He admitted this on Twitter.

All righty, but they do have that kind of power, and I rather have an alternative they can't touch than trust their word they won't abuse their monopoly. For the record, I love Apple and so far I have no significant complaints (though a bunch of minor ones…), but I still don't like the idea of being locked in (I know about jailbreaks etc, but that seems like a hassle).

• How long until it decends into the inevitable “apple gives us 3rd party app stores but not Logic Pro!!!??!!???”

• @Stargazer said:

@NeuM said:

@Stargazer said:

All righty, but they do have that kind of power, and I rather have an alternative they can't touch than trust their word they won't abuse their monopoly. For the record, I love Apple and so far I have no significant complaints (though a bunch of minor ones…), but I still don't like the idea of being locked in (I know about jailbreaks etc, but that seems like a hassle).

I know the arguments in favor of this, but Apple doesn't have a monopoly. Android phones far outnumber iOS phones and devices.

• @Stargazer said:

@NeuM said:

@Stargazer said:

Twitter in particular has a perfectly serviceable web UI so an end user would only experience what I would consider a mild inconvenience if their app was yanked, but I get it. On the other hand, I have absolutely no problem with Apple having, and using, the power to keep malware, spyware, apps that present CSAM, etc off of my device and my kids devices. It does seem greedy for them not to have a trusted developer program similar to the way it works on the Mac, for iPadOS. For the phone, I don’t mind lock-in. It’s a phone, it is my emergency contact device, it has vital functions that cannot be allowed to be disrupted by third-party software.

• Oo my first thought is Blender 3D , or at least spin off mini apps for things like sculpting or grease pencil…

• @Krupa said:
    Oo my first thought is Blender 3D , or at least spin off mini apps for things like sculpting or grease pencil…

Blender on iOS would be pretty cool.

• while they’re at it…why don’t they through in a third party OS…lolo

• edited December 2022

@nerVe said:
    while they’re at it…why don’t they through in a third party OS…lolo

I like iOS. That's why I keep buying Apple stuff. If I wanted something else, I'd buy something else. And that's another reason why forcing Apple to carry other app stores for the EU market is absurd. Who goes into a French bakery demanding they carry Wonder Bread? Who shops at a Currys, suddenly demanding that the stores carry women's perfumes? Who goes to an Autogrill shopping for a couch? :D

• Ha curse them freedom loving eurotrash 😂

Seriously though, I’ve wanted blender on my iPad so long now it’s silly, and like I say not the whole thing, that would probably be absurd. But the combination of its long standing and legally bound GPL, and Apple’s strict terms of service have prevented it from being legal for far too long… it probably still won’t happen, but at least there’s a chance now…

• Great news. It’s contrary to free market to charge a fee for a service where there’s no alternative. Neither China nor Apple should decide what goes on your device.

• @tahiche said:
    Great news. It’s contrary to free market to charge a fee for a service where there’s no alternative. Neither China nor Apple should decide what goes on your device.

EU customer goes to Apple store with phone problem:

"Sorry Sir, but as you have 3rd party installed apps on the phone we are unable to determine what the error is. You will have to consult with the app maker to get it fixed".

Yeah, great.

• edited December 2022

Those who think the EU's monopoly-busting activity (because that's what it is) is misguided - do you like monopolies in general, or is monopoly bad, but Apple monopoly good? 🙂

Also, was it not for the EU, we would still be forced to use internet explorer on Windows, and pay exorbitant roaming charges for our mobile phones when abroad.

It is absolutely good that they force Apple to open up. Unregulated monopolies suck. Besides, and importantly, you will still have the chance to only buy from them. But competition will hopefully force them to pay attention and become better, like offering upgrade pricing options, etc.

Long story short, you will likely benefit from this even if you never buy anything outside the Apple app store.

• Competition is good, I hope the safety aspect will be good as well. I believe it’s much easier to install mallware and crap on the Android than the iOS, but I could be wrong..

• @Simon, they don’t act like this when you install software on your Mac outside of the AppStore. Where would be the difference? They service your Mac, regardless if you „sideload“ or not. Moreover in EU they are obliged to service your device and within the first year after purchase they would have to make a proof that it was your fault or they can’t refuse the service.

I think these are great news for consumers and for us. It‘s freedom of choice for consumers - including the choice not to use alternative AppStores. Apple is limiting us in so many ways. For instance license transfer. Surge XT for iPad would be insane. One more step that the iPad is becoming a normal computer.

• @krassmann said:
    @Simon, they don’t act like this when you install software on your Mac outside of the AppStore. Where would be the difference?

Not sure.

I guess the Mac OS was designed from the start to have 3rd party stuff installed. Not so with iOS. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

• @ervin said:
    Those who think the EU's monopoly-busting activity (because that's what it is) is misguided - do you like monopolies in general, or is monopoly bad, but Apple monopoly good? 🙂

Could one label the EU itself a kind of monopoly?

• it is very good news :) it's called progress.
    This is a basic thing every computer should be able to do (and any good hardware does) install software from a source the user wants. It's what will make the iPad much more useful for professional use and better for developers and users too, more choice and options. It could even make the ipad and iOS even more popular, who knows?
    But the shake up might make Apple release some software too in the end so it's good news all round.

I know I will be buying my next iPad from the EU that's for sure :)

• @Simon said:

@ervin said:

It’s part of a trade war. Europe is still way behind the USA in tech companies hence they want to disrupt Apple and Google.

Personally I trust Apple more than some random App maker. Particularly where it comes to handing over my financial details for payment or subscriptions. Plus Apple make it super easy to end a subscription which isn’t necessarily going to be so for 3rd party providers.

• @Simon said:

@ervin said:

😂 Good thinking.

Gonna be interesting all this, that’s for sure.

• edited December 2022

One more thought. This could actually be the enabler for expensive professional software from the big guns. I think for these companies it was not acceptable to have Apple as the middle man between them and their customers, paying the 30% on every transaction, being not in control of license management, releases, etc etc. I think soon we will see „Software Center“ apps of companies like Adobe or Microsoft.

• @Simon said:

@krassmann said:
    @Simon, they don’t act like this when you install software on your Mac outside of the AppStore. Where would be the difference?

No difference.

I guess the Mac OS was designed from the start to have 3rd party stuff installed. Not so with iOS. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Sorry but this makes no sense. Technically they’re Linux operated machines with stuff on top. An app is a file compliant with the os, where it’s downloaded from makes no difference. You can have a windows laptop and only use safe and guaranteed content from the windows store.

@ervin said:

China is horrible for not letting you use whatever app but Apple is ok if they ban Fortnite.
    Also, if you love the monopoly, just keep using the Apple Store… they seem to be getting capitalism all wrong. Seems more like cold-war communism when you want to limit other’s options.

As for the “bad apps are going to break your iPad”. No they won’t. You’ll just wipe it clean, and you’ll probably get to install an older iOS version should you choose to do so. Remember when they caught Apple making older devices slower on purpose with every iOS update?.

I can’t even begin to understand how someone can be against this. It’s baffling.