Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MusicPutty (a note-based vocal pitch editor) is now on the App Store

124»

Comments

• @cokomairena said:

@AutumnRock said:
    Hi @cokomairena, at end of the day software is really a service. Users are not renting bytes, but paying for the continuous support from devs.

That said, we do not expect everyone to get the subscription. We will continue to push out improvements for the free tier alongside the Pro Version, and I hope you can still get a lot of value from the free tier.

Thanks for your response, I don't see it as a service when it's using my hardware. That makes no sense, I understand your point tho, apple exosystem force it to be a service when you have to provide support for OS upgrades.

But unless the app is buggy, or run in your hardware, it shouldn't mean a continous effort from you. If it means a continuos effort that IS a service and you should be compensated for that, for example customer support, I think you could ask for a customer support subscription, or content... but just to run the thing you already programmed on my hardware I really don't see the logic.

It's a difficult subject, I wish you financial success, it seem you have a good product.

Every time there has been an upgrade to iOS or a hardware change it has meant more work for developers. Software is always changing and being refined.

• @Samu said:
    Not that I'm a big user of these kinds of things (The built-in in one in Logic is good enough for my needs) but the 'subscription thing' also puts some demand on the developers to provide monthly updates and fixes and 'what to expect' in the next update.

...I would never accept a 'subscription app' with a couple of updates for random bug-fixes per year.

Subscription is for 'continuous addition of content and features'.

I could accept 'software as a service' for a bigger software-platform but not for a random plug-ins or app.

Releasing and app at a higher tier is always a risky, what is better getting say $24.99 up front or $1.99 each month?
    It's the same amount of cash in the end but the temptation to spend it grows bigger when it comes in a lump...

Good Luck to everyone with ambitions to go subscription...

Cheers!

Great point: “what is better getting say $24.99 up front or $1.99 each month?”

• edited December 2022

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Samu said:
    Not that I'm a big user of these kinds of things (The built-in in one in Logic is good enough for my needs) but the 'subscription thing' also puts some demand on the developers to provide monthly updates and fixes and 'what to expect' in the next update.

...I would never accept a 'subscription app' with a couple of updates for random bug-fixes per year.

Subscription is for 'continuous addition of content and features'.

I could accept 'software as a service' for a bigger software-platform but not for a random plug-ins or app.

Releasing and app at a higher tier is always a risky, what is better getting say $24.99 up front or $1.99 each month?
    It's the same amount of cash in the end but the temptation to spend it grows bigger when it comes in a lump...

Good Luck to everyone with ambitions to go subscription...

Cheers!

Great point: “what is better getting say $24.99 up front or $1.99 each month?”

Actually, at $1.99 a month it would be an insta subscribe for me and I’d probably still keep the subscription during months when I didn’t expect to use it. There’s a lot of value in knowing that a subscription can be started or ended any month even if that choice is never executed. It eliminates me having to try to do a use, interest and free time forecast where each of those are still unknowns. (And where a lot of other apps, personal interests and family responsibilities are also requiring those predictions and calculations.) Way easier to make decisions like that by guessing at the upcoming month than making wild guesses about an upcoming year.

• @NeuM said:

@cokomairena said:

@AutumnRock said:
    Hi @cokomairena, at end of the day software is really a service. Users are not renting bytes, but paying for the continuous support from devs.

That said, we do not expect everyone to get the subscription. We will continue to push out improvements for the free tier alongside the Pro Version, and I hope you can still get a lot of value from the free tier.

Thanks for your response, I don't see it as a service when it's using my hardware. That makes no sense, I understand your point tho, apple exosystem force it to be a service when you have to provide support for OS upgrades.

But unless the app is buggy, or run in your hardware, it shouldn't mean a continous effort from you. If it means a continuos effort that IS a service and you should be compensated for that, for example customer support, I think you could ask for a customer support subscription, or content... but just to run the thing you already programmed on my hardware I really don't see the logic.

It's a difficult subject, I wish you financial success, it seem you have a good product.

Every time there has been an upgrade to iOS or a hardware change it has meant more work for developers. Software is always changing and being refined.

And we all think that that deserves compensation

• @AutumnRock said:
    Hi @el_bo, thanks for your support and feedback! <3

Regarding pricing for the monthly option (which was also mentioned by @Angie), it's a fair point. I am open to making some adjustments once I have more data.

For transparency, I am planning to set up a roadmap either on our website or on https://canny.io/ For now, if anyone has questions, they can tag me here. I do try to read every comment.

Ah...hadn't realised it'd already been mentioned. Consider my post a '+1', then :)

• edited January 2023

@AutumnRock said:
    @Poppadocrock @tidtian
    Thanks for the feedback. This is actually a feature I am planning to add in another app of mine called Nail the Pitch which focuses more on quickly notating ideas. If I do implement the feature, it will probably show up in Nail the Pitch first, but I am open to bringing it to MusicPutty as well.

@AutumnRock hey, I was wondering, is midi export already a feature of Nail the Pitch pro, or is that still on the to do list?

• @dobbs it is on Todo list, but will be coming to both Nail the Pitch and MusicPutty this year.

• edited January 2023

Hmmm… this is certainly fascinating :wink:

• edited January 2023

@cokomairena said:
    Sell me what you made, if you make something new, sell it to me again.

Sadly I wont rent your bytes :(

+1 to this. Never sub, even as in this case, I’m really interested in the tech.

I have hundreds of paid for apps, some, like Xynthesizer, still hanging in there since way back. I use most of them once or twice a year, if that, and enjoy them when I do, but in what world would it make sense for me to pay subs for any of them? Pros who use something daily, to make actual money, yeah, maybe.

But noodlers like me, whose last posted track on this forum sank without a trace yesterday, not even gaining eyeballs, let alone sales (which I’m not actually trying to get, btw) ? Can’t see that working out. The Loopy Pro model however seems like an equitable balance I can live with.

• Hi @Svetlovska, thanks for sharing your thoughts. For "noodlers", you should NOT pay for the subscription. The free version is already comparable to a lot of paid apps out there, and I am more than happy to provide free updates for the free users and support you for years to come.

• @AutumnRock said:
    Hi @Svetlovska, thanks for sharing your thoughts. For "noodlers", you should NOT pay for the subscription. The free version is already comparable to a lot of paid apps out there, and I am more than happy to provide free updates for the free users and support you for years to come.

What are these paid apps that only have the free feature set of musicputty? I've never seen and autotune app that doesn't control vibrato before.

• Sorry dev. Not interested in subs.

• @cyberheater that's totally cool and I hope you can still get a lot of value from the free version.

• @AutumnRock said:
    @cyberheater that's totally cool and I hope you can still get a lot of value from the free version.

Thanks 😊

• @cokomairena said:

@AutumnRock said:
    Hi @Svetlovska, thanks for sharing your thoughts. For "noodlers", you should NOT pay for the subscription. The free version is already comparable to a lot of paid apps out there, and I am more than happy to provide free updates for the free users and support you for years to come.

What are these paid apps that only have the free feature set of musicputty? I've never seen and autotune app that doesn't control vibrato before.

None, lol. There's Waves Tune RT in Cubasis 3 for MIDI-controlled autotuning. There's the new vocal pitch studio in Audio Evolution. There's the ability to tune vocals in Multitrack Studio (MTS).

-Cons - You have to purchase a whole DAW and the respective IAP, which is an up-front investment.

-Pros - Those are a one-time purchase. Also with a DAW you can apply processing plugins such as Brusfri and Fabfilter Pro-DS and whatever else you please.

Of course the DAW environment isn't for everyone. For me personally I have enough subscriptions (apps and Splice) to keep track of and don't need another monthly expense. 😂 Though I will say that the roadmap @AutumnRock has looks great. 👍 So the subscription can definitely be worth it for some.

But honestly if you already have a DAW and its respective vocal tuning IAP, it does more than the free version of Audioputty. At the end of the day it's all personal preference. 👍

• edited January 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic Agreed on subscription, and it’s the thing that I’m torn on. On one hand, it makes sense to support the building of an app, but how does one quantify value?

I did share a ton of feedback about the application, which I didn’t cover in the video I posted today but ultimately I opted to support the development based on the technology, and it works for my use cases.

I think it’s a “find your tribe” type of situation. No matter what product is released, one will find an app that works for them. I like Music Putty for a few reasons. Similarly, whenever one works on a project, it’s hard to know the true value. One has to try to figure out the worth of their effort, and be satisfied with the outcome.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Agreed on subscription, and it’s the thing that I’m torn on. On one hand, it makes sense to support the building of an app, but how does one quantify value?

I did share a ton of feedback about the application, which I didn’t cover in the video I posted today but ultimately I opted to support the development based on the technology, and it works for my use cases.

I think it’s a “find your tribe” type of situation. No matter what product is released, one will find an app that works for them. I like Music Putty for a few reasons. Similarly, whenever one works on a project, it’s hard to know the true value. One has to try to figure out the worth of their effort, and be satisfied with the outcome.

I'll be sure to check out your video! 😃 Good to hear from you.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

You too, man @jwmmakerofmusic

Here’s the link - So, I met the developer of a Melodyne/Auto-tune Type App on iOS (MusicPutty) | Season 4, Ep 13

Like, I have huge respect for @AutumnRock for taking the time to talk about his experiences on the App Store ecosystem. I never thought that things like different laws in countries would make it very difficult to push an app. Or the logistics in maintaining more than one app.

It’s definitely taught me a lot more patience, and yet it’s posing a question …how can developers make decent revenue to sustain their apps.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

You too, man @jwmmakerofmusic

Here’s the link - So, I met the developer of a Melodyne/Auto-tune Type App on iOS (MusicPutty) | Season 4, Ep 13

Like, I have huge respect for @AutumnRock for taking the time to talk about his experiences on the App Store ecosystem. I never thought that things like different laws in countries would make it very difficult to push an app. Or the logistics in maintaining more than one app.

It’s definitely taught me a lot more patience, and yet it’s posing a question …how can developers make decent revenue to sustain their apps.

For music apps you will always be constrained by the number of users. Do we know the numbers of any music app?

• Checkout @thesoundtestroom's video on MusicPutty!

• Check out Jade Starr's new episode showcasing MusicPutty!

• @cokomairena said:
    Do we know the numbers of any music app?

No, but despite that we're all experts on what developers should and shouldn't do. :smiley:

• edited February 2023

Hello, everyone! I have a question. Does this app support polyphonic recording pitch correction? AEMS does not, and it was a huge deal breaker for me, because I am a violinist. Thanks in advance!

• Hi @yassenviolinist, unfortunately not at the moment.

Polyphonic note separation/shifting is still an ongoing research problem. It may be a feature coming in the long term, but for now, MusicPutty only works with monophonic signals.

• @Simon said:

@NeuM said:
    Hard to believe people here were very recently saying they wanted to pay more for apps.

I suspect they are a vocal minority. When it comes to the crunch the market will decide if the pricing is too high... as always.

Perhaps, but I don’t think I am vocal since I rarely post. I argued that iOS app are generally under-priced and I would rather pay more for apps than see them disappear, or become subscription as @jwmmakerofmusic explained. I also think the idea of buying iOS xapps only when they are on sale isn’t the best model to support devs. I also agree with @Stuntman_mike that paying for a regularly used service like Netflix makes sense. A pitch correction app does not make sense for me since I don’t sing or collaborate with singers. I am interested to get the app just to mess around with it and would pay a one-time $20-30. The features on the free version don’t seem quite worth the learning curve to me. Same goes for a ton of photo-related (and other) apps - I don’t have a desire or need to use those enough to justify a monthy subscription, but the selfi generation probably would.

If an app is good and something I use regularly, I will be happy to pay for updated versions (i.e. MusicPutty 2). $2.99 is not a lot of money, but I have 800 apps on my iPhone and iPad only apps on my iPad. I would pay subcription for NS2 because I use that daily. It’s hard for me to think of another app I would subscribe to. It’s hard to imagine a desktop app I would subscribe to. If I were to get a subscription to an app ot would need to offer a while lot more than just adjusting to iOS updates. I’m fortunate to have a lot of hardware synths, but I would not have any hardware synths if I had to pay a subscription to own them.

None-the-less I wish all the best to @AutumnRock and hope the apps are successful.