Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Motion for Apple Watch and iPhone AND iPad

2»

Comments

• edited November 2022

I just realised that the app can also work on iPad since it also has a motion sensor.. Would anyone be interested?
    I think it already works on iPad, you can download it from the App Store and it opens like an iPhone app.

• @cem_olcayi reported also about text being cut off at the top on iPhone SE

• Just purchased. Will try it out after walking the dog.

• @Gdub said:
    @cem_olcayi reported also about text being cut off at the top on iPhone SE

Yes, I fixed that now, thanks!
    I also added a virtual MIDI output port and made the app available for iPad natively.
    The new update will be available in a few days I guess.

• edited November 2022

Having trouble getting to get this to work sending CC1 from Watch to modulate Animoog Z on iPad. Are there set-up instructions? Or anyone have success getting cc1 data from Watch to iPad?

Could be a bug, but here’s what I see when I try to calibrate Apple Watch as the Motion Device on both iPad and iPhone app: “Calibrate the motion of your iPhone
    EDIT: SET does not save in the calibration section.

• @zilld2017 just open the Apple Watch app and start moving it around, you should see the values changing both on your iPhone and Apple Watch apps.

Also the calibrate option in the iPhone app calibrates the iPhone motion sensor. You need to use the calibrate option on the Apple Watch app instead.

• @cem_olcay said:
    @zilld2017 just open the Apple Watch app and start moving it around, you should see the values changing both on your iPhone and Apple Watch apps.

I see the value change in the Watch app but nothing getting to Animoog on the iPad. Using AUM as the midi destination on the iPad midimotion app.

• @zilld2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:
    @zilld2017 just open the Apple Watch app and start moving it around, you should see the values changing both on your iPhone and Apple Watch apps.

I see the value change in the Watch app but nothing getting to Animoog on the iPad. Using AUM as the midi destination on the iPad midimotion app.

Apple Watch app doesn't work with iPad, it only works with iPhone. You can send MIDI from your iPhone to AUM on your iPad with MIDI Network session though.

• @cem_olcay said:

@zilld2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

Apple Watch app doesn't work with iPad, it only works with iPhone. You can send MIDI from your iPhone to AUM on your iPad with MIDI Network session though.

Of course. Will check it out.

• @zilld2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

@zilld2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

Nope, no midi cc in AUM on iPad from MIDIMotion

Here’s the setup:
    Apple Watch—>iphone
    iPhone midimotion/midi out session 1—>iPad/AUM Network Session 1/Animoog Z

Any tips/guides?

• @zilld2017 said:

@zilld2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

@zilld2017 said:

@cem_olcay said:

Nope, no midi cc in AUM on iPad from MIDIMotion

Here’s the setup:
    Apple Watch—>iphone
    iPhone midimotion/midi out session 1—>iPad/AUM Network Session 1/Animoog Z

Any tips/guides?

Yup, that’s it! You can also modulate your Mac DAWs with that setup as well!

• The new version is live, it’s working on iPad natively now!

• @cem_olcay said:

Also the calibrate option in the iPhone app calibrates the iPhone motion sensor. You need to use the calibrate option on the Apple Watch app instead.

I seem to have similar problem, I see readout on watch of the values, but nothing gets to the app running on the phone. The app on the phone does seem to work correctly when using values from the phone, when [phone] is selected in the app, and not [watch]. But when I choose [watch] for values in the phone app it seems to receive nothing. I'm using MidiWrench app and it does show as a midi output in the phone app, and I see the midi cc's in MidiWrench when running the phone app. Nothing when the watch app is specified as value source. Apple Watch 6, iPhone SE 2020.

• edited December 2022

@hes said:

@cem_olcay said:

I seem to have similar problem, I see readout on watch of the values, but nothing gets to the app running on the phone. The app on the phone does seem to work correctly when using values from the phone, when [phone] is selected in the app, and not [watch]. But when I choose [watch] for values in the phone app it seems to receive nothing. I'm using MidiWrench app and it does show as a midi output in the phone app, and I see the midi cc's in MidiWrench when running the phone app. Nothing when the watch app is specified as value source. Apple Watch 6, iPhone SE 2020.

If your Apple Watch and iPhone has paired, then you should see the Apple Watch motion data driving the iPhone app (when the Apple Watch is selected as the motion device). Otherwise, you can try killing and starting the app again on your watch (press the long physical button under the crown on your watch to enter the multitask editor, swipe left the MIDI Motion and press the remove button).

I also made an update for making the Apple Watch app work while the watch app is backgrounded. That's actually pretty useful for the older watches that don't support "always on" option. Anyways the trick was registering the app as a "workout app". I'm not sure if Apple would accept this, but if they do, then the new version will be pretty cool!

• @hes said:

@cem_olcay said:

If your Apple Watch and iPhone has paired, then you should see the Apple Watch motion data driving the iPhone app (when the Apple Watch is selected as the motion device). Otherwise, you can try killing and starting the app again on your watch (press the long physical button under the crown on your watch to enter the multitask editor, swipe left the MIDI Motion and press the remove button).

I also made an update for making the Apple Watch app work while the watch app is backgrounded. That's actually pretty useful for the older watches that don't support "always on" option. Anyways the trick was registering the app as a "workout app". I'm not sure if Apple would accept this, but if they do, then the new version will be pretty cool!

Thanks! I think I traced my problem to the watch going to sleep/display off mode too quickly. Anyway, I can now see values transmitted to the iPhone if I make sure the watch display is on. Previously the display would shut off after just a second or two and I would get no values; switched it so the "wrist sensing" function is no longer on, can get watch to stay on longer.

I do still have a question. With the version I have, does proper function require the watch display to be always on? Or can I have the display off and still have the app transmitting values to the phone?

• @cem_olcay said:

@Gdub said:
    @cem_olcayi reported also about text being cut off at the top on iPhone SE

Yes, I fixed that now, thanks!
    I also added a virtual MIDI output port and made the app available for iPad natively.
    The new update will be available in a few days I guess.

Cool. Could you technically use it by moving an iPhone while playing on an iPad?

• The new version is live! Now you can use the Apple Watch app while the app is on the background. You need to press the “start workout session” button under the calibration button on the watch app. After you’ve done you can stop the workout session by pressing the same button again.

• Wow, congrats on getting that through app review!!

• edited December 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@jonasv said:
    @cem_olcay
    Thank you! MIDI Motion is already changing the way I can make music (using it alongside Loopy Pro)! I'm part of the Loopy Pro Beta community, and we had a discussion about MIDI Motion, which several people are trying out. 2 suggestions came through, which would be incredible! :

1. It would be great if MIDI Motion memorized the MIDI outs from one time to the next. Currently I have to open both MIDI Motion and Loopy, then go back to MIDI Motion, check "Loopy" under MIDI OUTS, then go back to Loopy, every time just to get started. This would simplify a lot
    2. This would be even greater: Currently MIDI Motion doesn't show up in the list of MIDI apps, nor as an AU. Other MIDI apps, like Physicle Gravity and MIDI LFO for example, show up both as an AU and as a MIDI app.

→ This means it can be open inside the host, and at startup there is nothing to do but open the host, and the MIDI app opens automatically and is all set up as it was last time and well connected. Hope this is possible. It would make MIDI Motion even much easier to use. Cheers!
    Jo

Maybe it just needs a virtual midi out port that other apps can see?

Ideally it would have the option to run as AUv3. This would be a game changer!
    I’ve been part of the Loopy Pro testing team for 2 years, and am now using MIDIMotion along with Loopy (both running on iPhone). Adding MIDIMotion to my system has already changed the way I can make music!
    But if it had AUv3 capability, it could be open directly inside Loopy (or AUM or GarageBand). Like other MIDI apps such as LFOH and midiLFOs and Physicle.
    That would be so incredible!
    It would open up directly when opening up Loopy Pro, rather than having to open them both separately every time.
    And it would solve the problem of the MIDI link being broken as soon as Loopy is closed.
    All could be opened/closed together elegantly in one go.

Do you have a plan to make it AUv3?

Cheers! And happy Christmas period!