Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Motion for Apple Watch and iPhone AND iPad

Hey all, I'm working on a new, very fun app that lets you control your synths with your Apple Watch's or iPhone's motion sensor.

Basically it maps the motion sensor data to either MIDI CC or MIDI note and sends the MIDI to your synths. You can control your iPad/Mac apps with MIDI network session.

iPhone/Watch motion sensor has three continuous data; pitch, yaw and roll, so you can control 3 synth parameters with the motion.

It's super fun to use Apple Watch but if you don't have one, you can also use your iPhone's motion sensor as well.

The app supports Ableton Link, so you can tempo sync it to your DAW or audio app and play notes.

I'm starting to beta tests, so if you have an iPhone and/or Apple Watch and want to test the app, let me know.

Comments

• Have a phone - would love to test... regards

• Ah nice, I was gonna get an Apple Watch but plumped for a garmin instead when I realised the batteries lasted a few days rather than about one, this sort of thing would be fun though

• @audiblevideo said:
    Have a phone - would love to test... regards

Sent you an invitation!

@Krupa said:
    Ah nice, I was gonna get an Apple Watch but plumped for a garmin instead when I realised the batteries lasted a few days rather than about one, this sort of thing would be fun though

Yes, it’s super fun to use it with Apple Watch! I really enjoy making watch apps with SwiftUI, it’s going to be my third SwiftUI watch app after the AmpSwitch and Patch Roulette (both are free apps btw). Want to explore more things to do with watch!

• @cem_olcay said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Have a phone - would love to test... regards

Sent you an invitation!

@Krupa said:
    Ah nice, I was gonna get an Apple Watch but plumped for a garmin instead when I realised the batteries lasted a few days rather than about one, this sort of thing would be fun though

Yes, it’s super fun to use it with Apple Watch! I really enjoy making watch apps with SwiftUI, it’s going to be my third SwiftUI watch app after the AmpSwitch and Patch Roulette (both are free apps btw). Want to explore more things to do with watch!

An Apple mate said he had an old one he didn’t use much that he might permalend me at some point, hopefully I’ll see him soon anyway

• I have an Apple Watch and would like to beta test it within AUM. I could also try it with Bome Network to see if I can route MIDI Motion data into BitWig Studio on a desktop PC.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    I have an Apple Watch and would like to beta test it within AUM. I could also try it with Bome Network to see if I can route MIDI Motion data into BitWig Studio on a desktop PC.

That’s awesome, thanks! Can you DM me your testflight email adress?

• I’d like to test as well! Sounds cool

• That sounds really cool, I love all your stuff @cem_olcay unfortunately no Apple Watch here.

Heck this could be something not too far off that ring thing that uses your hand movements to modulate while you play. Awesome idea man.

• I have an Apple Watch SE and 2 iPhones with old and new IOS'es.

I like to dabble with Midi scripting in Mosaic... check out my Midi-Monitor-Filter-Logger
    script. If MIDI Spy did that I'd never have made it. (I'm sure a MIDI Monitoring app barely pays for an Apple Watch).

• edited November 2022

A pletora of new and old devices to test it on here (and yes, an old Apple Watch 3 to test it on too). And I’m very interested in your “exploring the Apple Watch” for midi (I bought it hoping to see more midi apps been created. Could you be the answer? :) ).
    And…I’m also missing some heavy beta testing duties, since Loopy Pro now needs less of my attention

• I'd like to test.

• @HotStrange @McD @LostInFoundation @galfar0th can you dm me your email adress please?

@Poppadocrock said:
    That sounds really cool, I love all your stuff @cem_olcay unfortunately no Apple Watch here.

Heck this could be something not too far off that ring thing that uses your hand movements to modulate while you play. Awesome idea man.

It also works with iPhone as well.

BTW, it requires iOS 14+ and watchOS 7+ it might not work with the older devices if their OS is not updated.

• Email sent, if I get the email message thing correctly

• edited November 2022

@LostInFoundation said:
    Email sent, if I get the email message thing correctly

Yes, sent you an invitation, thanks.

Anyone has tried it yet, have any feedbacks?

• @cem_olcay said:
    Hey all, I'm working on a new, very fun app that lets you control your synths with your Apple Watch's or iPhone's motion sensor.

Basically it maps the motion sensor data to either MIDI CC or MIDI note and sends the MIDI to your synths. You can control your iPad/Mac apps with MIDI network session.

iPhone/Watch motion sensor has three continuous data; pitch, yaw and roll, so you can control 3 synth parameters with the motion.

It's super fun to use Apple Watch but if you don't have one, you can also use your iPhone's motion sensor as well.

The app supports Ableton Link, so you can tempo sync it to your DAW or audio app and play notes.

I'm starting to beta tests, so if you have an iPhone and/or Apple Watch and want to test the app, let me know.

@cem_olcay said:

@cem_olcay said:

messaged sent! been looking for unconventional ways to send performance data. mpe and traditional controllers are great and ok but find breaking away from keyboards or knobs an excellent way to unblock.

lately been finding novel input methods trigger my 'learning brain' which is much less critical and doesn’t get hung up on bs like failures, including unexpected behaviors during 'normal' use. this mind space for me evokes playing (both in amusement and performance 😉) more so than a say a keyboard and a bank of knobs. i think that’s why i got so enamored with roli gear for example, or more precisely why i love ios music production, and am almost happy to deal with issues for the dopamine hit the fun factor yields when it just works™️ in the magical way it was advertised to be. 🔥 for me playing guitar or even a real life piano (despite obviously similar interface) invariably does this while ipad/iphone ecosystem is next best thing and the always with u factor makes the apparent compromises moot.

dunno where that came from. musta been the 💨 😂 ✌🏽

• Is there any API for this sort of thing with garmin? It’d be fun to do ambient hooked up to breathing rate and heart beats…

• @Krupa said:
    Is there any API for this sort of thing with garmin? It’d be fun to do ambient hooked up to breathing rate and heart beats…

That's a great idea, I can actually sync the heart beat to the tempo and Ableton Link could sync it to everything else.

• @cem_olcay said:

@Krupa said:
    Is there any API for this sort of thing with garmin? It’d be fun to do ambient hooked up to breathing rate and heart beats…

That's a great idea, I can actually sync the heart beat to the tempo and Ableton Link could sync it to everything else.

Nice 👌

• I have an Apple Watch. Would love to test this out, @cem_olcay.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I have an Apple Watch. Would love to test this out, @cem_olcay.

Sure, dm me your email address, I'll send you an invitation.

• @cem_olcay said:

@Krupa said:

👏🏼 😁

• If you don't have any bug reports, I'm going to submit the app. The app review process going to take a bit more time due to the holiday session. And also I'd be surprised if it pass the app review without any rejection at the first time. App review team usually don't understand quirky apps like this and reject them a few times until they convinced 😅

• @cem_olcay said:
    If you don't have any bug reports, I'm going to submit the app. The app review process going to take a bit more time due to the holiday session. And also I'd be surprised if it pass the app review without any rejection at the first time. App review team usually don't understand quirky apps like this and reject them a few times until they convinced 😅

Well, I am surprised! It's out!
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-motion-for-apple-watch/id6444314230

• @Krupa said:

The Apple Watch Ultra has a larger screen (49mm) and larger battery that lasts a few days.

• @Dham said:

@Krupa said:

The Apple Watch Ultra has a larger screen (49mm) and larger battery that lasts a few days.

Yeah, I saw that, was about three times the price and really didn’t appeal otherwise, a truly ugly beast of a thing in my opinion and setting the very silly launch event they did was actually the prompt for me to abandon the idea of an Apple Watch. The garmin is bloody great though, putting me through my paces with the coach and really feeling very fit as a result. The other thing that put me off was a touchscreen only interface, it was bad enough when I just used to try and take my phone and use it with sweaty hands in the rain, one other advantage of the garmin…

• Just noticed this was out, only $1.99 in the States. Times like these I wish I had an Apple Watch. Well done @cem_olcay Congratulations!

• The new update v1.1 is live.

• @cem_olcay

I have the app loaded on my iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch SE.

I have started the app on the iPad and watch and configured the project to use the watch as the sensor but no movements of the watch are sending any midi events.

The GUI doesn’t quite fit the smaller Watch SE screen so I suspect the watch might not be supported. Did you test with one?

• edited November 2022

@cem_olcay
    Thank you! MIDI Motion is already changing the way I can make music (using it alongside Loopy Pro)! I'm part of the Loopy Pro Beta community, and we had a discussion about MIDI Motion, which several people are trying out. 2 suggestions came through, which would be incredible! :

1. It would be great if MIDI Motion memorized the MIDI outs from one time to the next. Currently I have to open both MIDI Motion and Loopy, then go back to MIDI Motion, check "Loopy" under MIDI OUTS, then go back to Loopy, every time just to get started. This would simplify a lot
    2. This would be even greater: Currently MIDI Motion doesn't show up in the list of MIDI apps, nor as an AU. Other MIDI apps, like Physicle Gravity and MIDI LFO for example, show up both as an AU and as a MIDI app.

→ This means it can be open inside the host, and at startup there is nothing to do but open the host, and the MIDI app opens automatically and is all set up as it was last time and well connected. Hope this is possible. It would make MIDI Motion even much easier to use. Cheers!
    Jo

• @jonasv said:
    @cem_olcay
    Thank you! MIDI Motion is already changing the way I can make music (using it alongside Loopy Pro)! I'm part of the Loopy Pro Beta community, and we had a discussion about MIDI Motion, which several people are trying out. 2 suggestions came through, which would be incredible! :

1. It would be great if MIDI Motion memorized the MIDI outs from one time to the next. Currently I have to open both MIDI Motion and Loopy, then go back to MIDI Motion, check "Loopy" under MIDI OUTS, then go back to Loopy, every time just to get started. This would simplify a lot
    2. This would be even greater: Currently MIDI Motion doesn't show up in the list of MIDI apps, nor as an AU. Other MIDI apps, like Physicle Gravity and MIDI LFO for example, show up both as an AU and as a MIDI app.

→ This means it can be open inside the host, and at startup there is nothing to do but open the host, and the MIDI app opens automatically and is all set up as it was last time and well connected. Hope this is possible. It would make MIDI Motion even much easier to use. Cheers!
    Jo

Maybe it just needs a virtual midi out port that other apps can see?