Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AASamplePlayer by 衍 孟

2»

Comments

• I insist: the best part about this app is that it opens at the first spot because of its AA name lol

• @cokomairena said:
    I insist: the best part about this app is that it opens at the first spot because of its AA name lol

Lol. I ain’t gonna lie, I do tend to use apps higher up in the list, or the search bar.

• So, I was using Bleass Samplewiz last night, and as a simple sampler it works pretty well. This looks a bit too minimal, no filter, etc.

• I like how straightforward it is, but seems like if you have audiolayer, elsa, koala, or samplewiz 2, this doesn't offer anything new. Or does it? They're all low cpu, with samplewiz bumping higher.

• How’s Elsa, I love Eric Sigth and his unique apps but don’t have that one?

• edited October 2022

@Poppadocrock said:
    How’s Elsa, I love Eric Sigth and his unique apps but don’t have that one?

I love it, but it doesn't import samples easily to the auv3. I use it to sample a sound in aum in an fx slot. It has an envelope, bitcrusher with lfo, filter with lfo, lush reverb, all with dry/wet. Super low cpu use. 30 instances are no sweat, and I'll often use this to sample synths when cpu is an issue (no big need for in depth round robin sampling with straightforward synth patches... Or it's time to use audiolayer and a lot of HD space).

Samples can be time stretched or not, so you're not stuck with microscopic 1/64 length high notes.

Sample playback can be one shot, repeated (hold key and it keeps cycling the sample), or back and forth.

Start stop point sliders for the waveform.

Most creative part though is that you can set each note to trigger 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 note divisions (so if it's at 8, your note will cycle 8th notes when you sustain)....and you can RANDOMIZE that.

Been lurking here for a long time... And I creepily know you like a lot of the more generative aspects of music, kinda controlling the chaos as a gardener sometimes as opposed to doing a linear daw arrangement. I think elsa really shines when sequenced in a more free-form aum environment where the happy accidents can happen, when the random rhythm quantization can breathe.

What I appreciate most about humble apps is that Eric is clearly an artist, and I feel like I'm playing with art when I use his apps. Or a mini video game.

From what I can see of the AA sampler, Elsa has more going for it BUT again, it's older and doesn't work with files to get at samples in the auv3.

I think Samplewiz is the best for making instruments with downloaded one shots especially because it handles files well, but unless I need the granular synthesis or deeper modulation, its a waste of cpu for me. I'll usually just hit a one shot in aum, record it, takes 2 sec, then I'm off to the races. I really love synthscaper SE with its complex, evolving sounds, but it's such a cpu hog (as bad as spacefields). I sample it with elsa for a few seconds or longer depending on the patch, and I honestly can't tell the difference unless I'm using beard oil while making my own kombucha.

• Elsa sounds really cool, minus a flaw or 2, like no Au file import, but it has been around a long time. Sounds like it works well in the fx slot though, and helps with cpu. Thanks for that well thought out description. I’m more concerned with cpu then I would like to be, so I appreciate you adding that factor into your response.

No worries on the creeping, lol. Welcome to the fray. Yea, I definitely enjoy midi experimentation, both generatively and semi-generatively, either for a whole track or just one part. I will say that those are just 2 of many possible approaches I might take to create something, Ya know… I try to stay really open minded in terms of creativity and experimentation. Sometimes I like to experiment and see what happens, other times I’m doing something specific, and everything in between.

I definitely agree with the Art/Video Game aspect of the Eric Sigth apps, he is definitely talented. I particularly like Eric’s rendering of @jakoB_haQ on the thumbnail of his video reviewing Rymdigare. The colors, the style, very cool. it’s easy to get lost just tweaking apps like Rymdigare, or tardigrain, or strng and having a blast doing it.

Thanks again for all that info. Cheers!

• edited October 2022

@MFBT said:

@Poppadocrock said:

I thought elsa was mono only (so no poly). Is that correct? Thanks 😊

• Update today

• Rrs > @jsmonzani said:

@MFBT said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Poly by a lot!

• @MFBT said:
    Rrs > @jsmonzani said:

@MFBT said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Poly by a lot!

Thanks, I bought it and figured it out ;)

• The best lesson I ever learned about music production was from film director Ron Howard. He wasn't talking about music but rather film when he said, "in the end, all that matters is what ends up on the screen." I thought, hey, that's true of music too. All that matters is what comes out of the speakers.

I'm still new around here, but where I've been for the last 20 years (KvR Audio) there are these people who always say, "you don't need plugin x or gizmo y, you can do the same thing with stock plugins in your DAW." These folks always remind me of parents who, when their kid asks for Dairy Queen, they answer, "we have ice cream at home." Yeah, but we don't have Dairy Queen at home, and it's not the same thing, and it's fun to get Dairy Queen, and WE'RE PASSING DAIRY QUEEN RIGHT NOW oh darn we missed it.

This dude who made this sampler and has the GAS Therapy series on YouTube is the ultimate, "we have ice cream at home," guy, but he takes it to the extreme and that's why I enjoy him. I mean, he uses his QWERTY keyboard to play notes, for crying out loud. His implicit point seems to be to remind us that we can do almost anything these days with very standard tech. All that matters is what comes out of the speakers, and how you get it to come out is completely up to you.

https://youtu.be/86O8OCEpa9w

• Have asked him if he's going to share the source code but he's said not just now.
    Written in Juce.

• Pre listen?

• @KMTGN said:
    Pre listen?

+1

• edited November 2022

“Will I die with my knees buried in my mind? Hell no!”

? Well - as long as I remember to put my seat belt on, anyway.

I like his attitude :)

Update: just got it (89p in the UK - a steal) and I gotta say, I love it. I have more sophisticated samplers, notably Koala, but I’m lazy. Sometimes I just want to drop a single wav and get dirty with it, and this fits the bill. Working on something with three instances of it and a couple of AUM loops made from it now, and it’s great. So immediate!

Noticed that slide over drag and drop doesn’t seem to work though - have to load from the Load button, no biggie.

• The only thing that makes me prefer koala over AA is that koala saves the sample on the project and AA by design does not.

I fear losing my samples

• It would be nice to be able to load AAsamplepalyer as an fx for sampling instruments, radio...

• @moher said:
    It would be nice to be able to load AAsamplepalyer as an fx for sampling instruments, radio...

just use koala if you want more control and recording, I think AA is great for what it is.

• Just posted the piece I made with three instances of it in Creations if anyone is interested. My take is that it does what it says on the tin - just quick n dirty sample playing done super quick. Kind of Simpler, if you like. Not that Koala is difficult, but if all you want is to mess with a sample as quick as you can load it, AAS has got you. (Is that pronounced ‘Aaarse!’ ?)

• Anyone know the maximum length of sample you can load into AA?

• @Simon said:
    Anyone know the maximum length of sample you can load into AA?

How much do you want, maybe we could test it, but thr controls are only suitable for on shots

• @cokomairena said:

@Simon said:
    Anyone know the maximum length of sample you can load into AA?

How much do you want, maybe we could test it, but thr controls are only suitable for on shots

Just curious.

I have the app and really like it. I should test it myself and not be so lazy. :smiley: