Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Best Generative AUv3 MIDI Sequencers and CC LFOs?

2»

Comments

• @wim said:
    The thing I like about Cality is it generates it's magic based on notes being fed into it. I often like to have randomness at least loosely anchored in something. You can send Cality a drum beat or melody, as structured or random as you like, and have something completely different come out the other side.

Some of the Geodesics modules in miRack are similar in this respect.

Oh wow that's cool! :) I will mark Cality down on my radar then. :) I will also have to revisit MiRack at some point if, for nothing else, generative MIDI modules. :)

@espiegel123 said:
    If you don’t have Xynthesizr, it is a great app

Oh shit, I'm sleep, lol. I forgot about Xynthesizr! Downloading to my iPad now as I already had purchased it in the past and didn't get on with it back then since I wasn't into Ambient/Generative/Experimental back then.

@BirbHope said:
    Sorry I meant Rozetta scaler. I should have specified. Slipped my mind there were 2 “Scalers”.

AH! I'll have to give that a shot. I love Rozetta. It's been a very valuable suite of MIDI production tools.

As for Scaler 2, I have no theory skills so I can’t really say what someone with training gets from it.

I have a feeling Scaler 2 is an invaluable tool for people who don't have as much music theory knowledge.

I do feel however, that in general, melodic, modal, harmonic, chordal, key and scale combinations etc fall prey to habitual creative tendencies and ruts as much as any other discipline.

Before I dove into live Ambient in May, I did very much fall into a creative rut as I ran out of mental juice to craft EDM. What put the spark back into my creativity was the OP-1 Field, how I couldn't afford it, and what I wanted to do (which was live produce, which got me back into Ambient, which has now entered me into my David Lynch-esque era of music production :lol: ).

But NOW I understand what Scaler 2 is good for regarding my personal toolkit of AUv3s! :lol: Only $19 for the unlock, so I'll consider investing in it when I'm ready to return to more beat-centric music.

Also, (and this can be a misunderstanding on my part) given that tools exist for “chord calculators” and other such things, it sounds to me there are combos and colors that still exist in the realm of potentiality and possibility rather than actuality - but i could be wrong about that.

That's very true. I think all chord progressions and melodies based on Western music have been used up already. Then again, I could go the Quentin Tarantino route by stealing from other sources and mashing something together, such as take an advanced jazz chord progression from a Miles Davis album, steal a melodic motif from one of Bach's Sinfonias, twist the motif to fit the progression, and fit them together into some sort of French House track ala Justice and Daft Punk if I so choose to craft something like that. :lol:

So I can imagine Scaler 2 being interesting to an adventurous or experimental bloke such as yourself for introducing ideas outside of ones comfort zone. For straight-up, traditional “genre” chord progressions maybe not so much. But even then…

Yeah, Scaler 2 might be the tool to get me back into EDM/beat-centric genres. But, I feel as though I have a lot more to express in the Ambient genre. Plus being compared to the god that is David Lynch is one helluva dopamine hit. 🤩

• Okay, for today's GAS therapy, I've purchased Zoa, Autony, 4Pocket Euclidean, and redownloaded Aparillo and Xynthesizr. I plan to use Monolit as my main synthesiser of choice, Flux Pro as my main LFO, and also incorporate Rozeta's Particles somewhere. Now the questions that remain are - how long should I let it run, and what key(s) should I use? ;) That's for me to figure out and surprise you all with.

• edited June 2022

What about beatcutter?

Obviously not a midi generator.

Just 5 sounds and not all seem triggered.

• @sigma79 said:

What about beatcutter?

Obviously not a midi generator.

Just 5 sounds and not all seem triggered.

That...sounds...amazing! Fuck yeah I'm buying that effect, generative or not, lol.

I am an idiot. I couldn't figure out how to route MIDI from Flux Pro into one of AUM's lowpass filters. 😬 So I stuck with MIDILfos for my latest piece since I didn't want to kill my creativity. If anyone knows of any videos that can help demystify the process to hook up a Flux Pro LFO to one of AUM's lowpass filters, I'd be forever grateful, lol.

• edited July 2022

I have used PolyPhase as a melodic sequencer. Although it’s IAA, you can still make some immersive music with it.
    It has 4 midi-channels, like Fugue Machine, but this one keeps evolving and doesn’t spit out the same sequence.
    This is a AUM session i made with only PolyPhase and Animoog Z:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I am an idiot. I couldn't figure out how to route MIDI from Flux Pro into one of AUM's lowpass filters. 😬 So I stuck with MIDILfos for my latest piece since I didn't want to kill my creativity. If anyone knows of any videos that can help demystify the process to hook up a Flux Pro LFO to one of AUM's lowpass filters, I'd be forever grateful, lol.

This is easy, no video needed. In Flux (mini) enable midi out in settings. Note the channel/cc number. In AUM matrix, route Flux to MIDI Control (built-in). In AUM menu MIDI CTRL, pick your channel, then your lowpass filter, then tap freq and change OFF to the channel you noted, CC 1 to the cc you noted.

• I suppose I really ought to mention Wotja at this point :smile:

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/

Best wishes, Pete

• Rozeta Particles is my favorite...I only wish you could set random gate lengths...

• @Identor said:
    I have used PolyPhase as a melodic sequencer. Although it’s IAA, you can still make some immersive music with it.
    It has 4 midi-channels, like Fugue Machine, but this one keeps evolving and doesn’t spit out the same sequence.
    This is a AUM session i made with only PolyPhase and Animoog Z:

Absolutely gorgeous piece! :) I'll consider buying this. Wish it were AUv3 though, lol.

@bleep said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

This is easy, no video needed. In Flux (mini) enable midi out in settings. Note the channel/cc number. In AUM matrix, route Flux to MIDI Control (built-in). In AUM menu MIDI CTRL, pick your channel, then your lowpass filter, then tap freq and change OFF to the channel you noted, CC 1 to the cc you noted.

And lo and behold, there's a settings menu in Flux Pro. :lol: Told you I'm an idiot, haha. I got it to work! Thanks mate.

@impete said:
    I suppose I really ought to mention Wotja at this point :smile:

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/

Best wishes, Pete

Thanks mate. :) I subscribed to Wotja just now while typing this reply. :) Even though I only use iOS, I went for the "all devices" subscription to help Intermorphic keep developing Wotja well into the future.

@lasselu said:
    Rozeta Particles is my favorite...I only wish you could set random gate lengths...

Rozeta Particles is the GOAT of iOS generative MIDI apps. ;) I've had that since Rozeta was first released.

• @lasselu said:
    Rozeta Particles is my favorite...I only wish you could set random gate lengths...

You could always use several instances with different gate lengths? But yeah, definitely a pity that was overlooked. Rozeta Suite is great but a few tweaks here and there would be fantastic.

• @Gavinski said:

@lasselu said:

You could always use several instances with different gate lengths? But yeah, definitely a pity that was overlooked. Rozeta Suite is great but a few tweaks here and there would be fantastic.

Yeah, I do that from time to time. Just sent a feature request to Bram but I don’t have high hopes for it. From what I can recall he considers Rozeta a finished product…

• @lasselu said:

@Gavinski said:

@lasselu said:

Yeah, I do that from time to time. Just sent a feature request to Bram but I don’t have high hopes for it. From what I can recall he considers Rozeta a finished product…

The bad news is, not even the gate length in Particles can be automated by any external CC controls. Only Density, Pitch, Speed, and Spread. But the good news is, it's still a great generative app and one of my favourites. :)

• On MiRack for this kind of thing (external control via MIDI):

One tip re Marbles: don’t forget that you can route the sequences to both notes and modulation. I haven’t tried doing this to MIDI output, but can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. Useful addition to just using LFOs.

Also, the Turing Machine module can work nicely for this kind of thing, too. But for notes run it through a quantiser before sending the output to MIDI.

For audio, also try using effects modules, for example MI Clouds (AKA Audible Instruments texture synthesizer) and the amazing Valley reverb. Twiddle knobs till you find something good, and use simple LFOs initially to modulate things.

Using modules like this one at a time might give you a useful “in” for MiRack so you start to get some value from it without overwhelming yourself. It’s easy to get put off it by charging into it and finding what you make is horrible or useless (you should have heard the atrocious rubbish I was making at the start! - and I’m still not really sure what I’m doing most of the time, TBH). Using the bits of it that will work in conjunction with your other stuff without getting too complex will help.

• @lasselu said:

One extra step; route it through some gate length randomizer. There is a Mozaic patchstorage script that does it quite well, note length mugger or something like that. Probably other options, too.

Yeah, sometimes nice to have it in the app. But sometimes nice to not ask the developers to keep reinventing the wheel all the time:)

• @bleep said:
    There is a Mozaic patchstorage script that does it quite well, note length mugger or something like that.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out...

• @bleep said:

@lasselu said:

One extra step; route it through some gate length randomizer. There is a Mozaic patchstorage script that does it quite well, note length mugger or something like that. Probably other options, too.

Yeah, sometimes nice to have it in the app. But sometimes nice to not ask the developers to keep reinventing the wheel all the time:)

@bleep said:

@lasselu said:

Thanks for this tip! This script is exactly what I’ve been looking for