Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Best Generative AUv3 MIDI Sequencers and CC LFOs?

So I'm looking to add generative sequencing into my AUM workflow. Truth be told, creating generative music was the original reason I wanted to learn MiRack, but the learning curve for that is still so steep that it extinguishes my creativity whenever I try to get anywhere in it. (In hindsight, the one MiRack experiment I posted to Soundcloud really does suck, lol.) When it comes to fully modular environments, I'm "at home" in AUM and Drambo (which I can use within AUM as AUv3).

Regarding generative MIDI sequencers, I already have Fugue Machine and Rozeta Particles and love what I can do with them. For LFOs, I have Rozeta's LFO, MIDILfos, and LFOH. My question is, what else is out there that I don't know about/don't have yet that I can use to further my Ambient desires? :)

Comments

• edited June 2022

For all the modulations inside the app or CC to outside the app definitely check flux pro - for free you can’t go wrong with panflow

• For sequencers any of the Cem Bud apps are great as is Zoa
    Riffer is super flexible as well

• @audiblevideo said:
    For all the modulations inside the app or CC to outside the app definitely check flux pro - for free you can’t go wrong with panflow

AH HA! Flux Pro was the name of that wicked CC control app I was trying to remember to purchase regarding the LFO controls. :lol: And...I already have it on my iPad!? 😱 (The blessing of my having ADHD...I know how to pleasantly surprise myself. :lol: )

I also love Panflow and have mucked about with it before. I forget which piece I used it in though, and cbf to sift through my SoundCloud catalogue right now to find the production notes of my various experimentations.

• edited June 2022

@audiblevideo said:
    For sequencers any of the Cem Bud apps are great as is Zoa
    Riffer is super flexible as well

Nice! I do have polybud for Minimal Techno purposes if I ever get back into producing "EDM" genres. I'll have a look at Zoa and Riffer. :) EDIT: And a look at CEM's other apps too.

• edited June 2022

My recent faves are Euclidean by 4pockets and Polybud By Cem Oclay. They create rhythmic and melodic elements that intertwine in interesting, repeatable and somewhat predictable ways. I much prefer this to random sequence generators that create mostly musical gibberish with the odd interesting phrase.

• Also, Autony for completely generative.

• edited June 2022

All the free AudioModern apps rule. OODA and Zoa are great. Cykle/Polybeat as well. My personal favorites are Autony, Ioniarics (sp?), and Cality though. All 3 are very fun and great for experimental stuff.

• @rheslip said:
    My recent faves are Euclidean by 4pockets and Polybud By Cem Oclay. They create rhythmic and melodic elements that intertwine in interesting, repeatable and somewhat predictable ways. I much prefer this to random sequence generators that create mostly musical gibberish with the odd interesting phrase.

Then again, "musical gibberish" is what gets me excited, but somewhat predictable is also good. :) I'll get these tomorrow when I deposit tonight's earnings into my checking account.

@auxmux said:
    Also, Autony for completely generative.

Now that's the kind of thing I'm looking for! 😎 Only $4? Right, I just purchased it. To be played with tomorrow.

@HotStrange said:
    All the free AudioModern apps rule. OODA and Zoa are great. Cykle/Polybeat as well. My personal favorites are Autony, Ioniarics (sp?), and Cality though. All 3 are very fun and great for experimental stuff.

Nice! I'm definitely buying Zoa, Cykle, and Ioniarics tomorrow. (Can you believe the appstore corrected my spelling, and I got a list of apps regarding bicycling and menstrual trackers? :lol: )

I purchased Autony just now before replying. Cality and OODA look like they're semi-generative if that's a word. Not necessarily what I'm looking for, but I'll look into those apps tomorrow. Polybeat looks cool, and I'll consider that as well.

P.S. I absolutely adore AudioModern!

• Wotja. It’s a continuation of the software Brian Eno used for his first generative works (Koan). It has a steep learning curve but not as bad as MiRack. It’s deep and has endless possibilities, my go-to app for generative ambient stuff.

• @Martinj said:
    Wotja. It’s a continuation of the software Brian Eno used for his first generative works (Koan). It has a steep learning curve but not as bad as MiRack. It’s deep and has endless possibilities, my go-to app for generative ambient stuff.

Welp, that got me off the fence about subscribing. You said the magic words "Brian Eno". 😂 I don't mind a steep learning curve as I do love a good challenge, and I did get the hang of Drambo and was creative in it last year. I'm sure Wotja will be a good challenge as opposed to being a headache.

• @Martinj said:
    Wotja. It’s a continuation of the software Brian Eno used for his first generative works (Koan). It has a steep learning curve but not as bad as MiRack. It’s deep and has endless possibilities, my go-to app for generative ambient stuff.

+1

Controls are def a bit wtf but generates decent sounding ambient phrases when you need them… will push your cpu usage up a bit though, if that matters

• edited June 2022

Since Drambo offers plenty of possibilities, let me ask you:
    What would a good generative sequencer deliver?

• I’m pretty fond of SnakeBud.

• @Kewe_Esse said:

@Martinj said:

+1

Controls are def a bit wtf but generates decent sounding ambient phrases when you need them… will push your cpu usage up a bit though, if that matters

I have the M1 12.9" Pro. :) I should be fine.

• @rs2000 said:

A novel, fresh and interesting way to produce notes that both repeats but also evolves in exciting ways, something like a "living sequencer" if that makes any sense. :)

• @wim said:
    I’m pretty fond of SnakeBud.

This looks like one of the sequencing methods I'm looking for to be honest! Actually, the whole Bud Bundle looks great! :)

• edited June 2022

Marbles in MiRack.

Pretty straightforward, pretty easy and with a little musical theory knowledge, pretty musical.

• @rs2000 said:

The possibility to define a set of rules or a range (Note length - for example between quarter and whole notes, key, range, velocity…). The sequencer then produces notes according to these rules or range…it would be awesome to have something with more possibilities than rozeta but simpler than Wotja. Something like a generative AU Midi Note Generator. Propably this could be done in Mozaic or Drambo, but definitely not by me…

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@wim said:
    I’m pretty fond of SnakeBud.

This looks like one of the sequencing methods I'm looking for to be honest! Actually, the whole Bud Bundle looks great! :)

I only wish it could also send a CC or two.

• Nodebeat a oldie but goodie still works as IAA can generate midi out to audio tracks.

• Adding to what @OnfraySin said, take yourself off to youtube and watch a ton of videos for the Mutable Instruments modules. Yes, they are hardware but miRack has most of them (Under the name Audible Instruments) and you might be surprised what you can get out of each of them with a bit of application. No need to go spending loads of cash if you have the tools already.

• Dont have autony ( check what it can do ) If fully generative it might make sense to use autony along with polybud. You might not want to keep flicking through apps and although an exageration. Zoa seems to run out of sequence so would need to regenerate either via mdi or launching app. Snakebud. I think would be best with a midi controller for maybe 4 x 16 cc parameters and even then. You might still need snakebud to be on screen. For visual feedback.

Think I will need to generally invent or map more Drambo modules though but can still use these apps.

• Autony might just be same as rozeta though but might be cool if more generative for that synth you cant be bothered to give a sequence etc. Polybud in aum might be cool but with a keyboard ( not to polybud ) but so you got your own keyboard for a synth plus polybud for all other synths.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@rheslip said:

Then again, "musical gibberish" is what gets me excited, but somewhat predictable is also good. :) I'll get these tomorrow when I deposit tonight's earnings into my checking account.

@auxmux said:

Now that's the kind of thing I'm looking for! 😎 Only $4? Right, I just purchased it. To be played with tomorrow.

@HotStrange said:

Nice! I'm definitely buying Zoa, Cykle, and Ioniarics tomorrow. (Can you believe the appstore corrected my spelling, and I got a list of apps regarding bicycling and menstrual trackers? :lol: )

I purchased Autony just now before replying. Cality and OODA look like they're semi-generative if that's a word. Not necessarily what I'm looking for, but I'll look into those apps tomorrow. Polybeat looks cool, and I'll consider that as well.

Cality is technically a midi generator as it’s made to effect other midi sequencers. I recommend it because it can do black midi which is great for drones. But I see what you’re going for! Excited to see what you think of them! :smile:

• @HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@rheslip said:

@auxmux said:

@HotStrange said:

Cality is technically a midi generator as it’s made to effect other midi sequencers. I recommend it because it can do black midi which is great for drones. But I see what you’re going for! Excited to see what you think of them! :smile:

Cool. Well, I'm going to have to wait for tomorrow or Saturday to get these apps. My stupid car's AC decided to stop functioning, and I spent 60 quid on freon. Someone's going to show me how to put it into my engine, lol.

• edited June 2022

If you happen to have Playbeat 3 I was just playing with it as a semi-random midi generator this morning. With all the lanes, which are set at sequential notes (c, c#, d etc… or you can set ythem to whatever notes you want) going through Scaler and pointed at a synth the results were quite nice. You can just load up any stock sequence, hit the big red button or turn on the loopy symbol that randomizes everything at bar length settings you choose and music comes out.
    I didnt have time to play with the ratcheting, flam and pitch tweaks that are available but Im sure they are cool.

Anyway, I only mention it in case you already have it. I wouldn't necessarily buy it just for this purpose. But it is pretty damn cool for drums too obviously.

• Whoa, I just noticed I have a couple more replies to catch up on. :lol: Somehow I missed these. :)

@OnfraySin
    Nice. I'll look into Marbles. I forgot I could use MiRack as a MIDI Generator and don't need to have as much deep knowledge or be all that clever to load in Marbles. :)

@Jumpercollins
    Nodebeat looks pretty awesome. I'll think about getting that one though since it is IAA. Kind of just wishing to stick to AUv3 plugs.

@sigma79
    Zoa runs out of sequence? That actually might add some flavour to the experimentation rather than detract from it. If there's anything I've learned from Bob Ross, it's that there's no such thing as mistakes, only "happy accidents". ;) (Except when drawing a hand. If you get that thumb on the wrong side of the hand, it's going to look stupid. :lol: )

I'll see about getting a physical MIDI controller somewhere down the line. Just don't have the extra spendy cash at the moment. KB-1 will suffice for now. :) Thanks for the tips about all the generative sequencers and such. I appreciate it.

@BirbHope
    Unfortunately I don't have Playbeat 3. Also, I keep hearing about this Scaler 2 app. However, I know all about Western music theory since I do have a Bachelor's in Music Composition and Technology. Do I necessarily need Scaler 2? :) What can it do exactly? (I read through the description and I'm still a bit lost. Genuine questions by the way, not sarcasm.)

Love the name by the way. :) "Birb" is a cute way to say "bird".

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

The thing I like about Cality is it generates it's magic based on notes being fed into it. I often like to have randomness at least loosely anchored in something. You can send Cality a drum beat or melody, as structured or random as you like, and have something completely different come out the other side.

Some of the Geodesics modules in miRack are similar in this respect.

• If you don’t have Xynthesizr, it is a great app

• edited June 2022

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BirbHope
    Unfortunately I don't have Playbeat 3. Also, I keep hearing about this Scaler 2 app. However, I know all about Western music theory since I do have a Bachelor's in Music Composition and Technology. Do I necessarily need Scaler 2? :) What can it do exactly? (I read through the description and I'm still a bit lost. Genuine questions by the way, not sarcasm.)

Love the name by the way. :) "Birb" is a cute way to say "bird".

Thanks mate. :smile:

Sorry I meant Rozetta scaler. I should have specified. Slipped my mind there were 2 “Scalers”.

As for Scaler 2, I have no theory skills so I can’t really say what someone with training gets from it.
    I do feel however, that in general, melodic, modal, harmonic, chordal, key and scale combinations etc fall prey to habitual creative tendencies and ruts as much as any other discipline. Also, (and this can be a misunderstanding on my part) given that tools exist for “chord calculators” and other such things, it sounds to me there are combos and colors that still exist in the realm of potentiality and possibility rather than actuality - but i could be wrong about that.
    So I can imagine Scaler 2 being interesting to an adventurous or experimental bloke such as yourself for introducing ideas outside of ones comfort zone. For straight-up, traditional “genre” chord progressions maybe not so much. But even then…