Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WWDC 2022 - Apple Announcements

Comments

• @wim said:

@auxmux said:
    iPad Air 2 end of life, no update to iPad16. No iPad hardware or Mac Mini updates.

Call me crazy, but this is good news to me. I've been on edge about whether to go to each major release or freeze ol' faithful since iOS 12. Having that decision made for me is good. I no longer need to go through that watchfulness phase every six months, and now all I need to do is sit back until some totally killer feature or incompatible app motivates me to finally spring for a new iPad (which is somewhat unlikely for quite some time since I'm more than happy with what I have now for as long as I can imagine).

its always the best when this lines up.

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

I just wanted to by another refurbished 6s, but not sure if that is a good idea without iOS 16.

All newer iPhones loose the headphone jack, which is pure horror for me.
    And iPhone 8 is the last with Touch-ID, IIRC.

Hard times are coming 😳😳😳😱😱😱😭😭😭

This should be no big deal. I doubt there will be any essential improvements on iOS 16 for iPhones. They'll probably continue to patch any serious security holes even on iOS 15 for quite some time.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

I just wanted to by another refurbished 6s, but not sure if that is a good idea without iOS 16.

Why is this a big deal? I doubt there will be any essential improvements on iOS 16 for iPhones. They'll probably continue to patch any serious security holes even on iOS 15 for quite some time.

It's got more widgets and more places to put your widgets.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

Why is this a big deal? I doubt there will be any essential improvements on iOS 16 for iPhones. They'll probably continue to patch any serious security holes even on iOS 15 for quite some time.

It's got more widgets and more places to put your widgets.

And more emojis.
    On second thought, this is indeed a disaster!

• edited June 2022

2 things that had me thinking about AUM

1. Weather. Why not have a little sun/cloud icon with the temp, etc somewhere on the perimeter of the app?

2. Collaborative. An AUM project being no different than a collaborative document...getting past how a group of people are chosen to work simulataneously on an AUM project, someone wants to add a different melody in the ATOM instance connected to a lead synth? They do so and when they're done they hit a 'Commit' button and it gets sent to everyone elses project. If the Collaboration API allows for ios DAWs to benefit from it (meaning AUs would have to have some vulnerability to it) this could be a gAmE ChAnGeR.

• edited June 2022

@shazbot said:

1. Weather. Why not have a little sun/cloud icon with the temp, etc somewhere on the perimeter of the app? Having something like this also adds a little bit of 'warmth' to the production process. It makes the app less technical-centric, music production is as 'homey' as having to get groceries and cook dinner. Why bother having to swipe out to find out what's up outside?

2. Collaborative. An AUM project being no different than a collaborative document...getting past how a group of people are chosen to work simulataneously on an AUM project, someone wants to add a different melody in the ATOM instance connected to a lead synth? They do so and when they're done they hit a 'Commit' button and it gets sent to everyone elses project. If the Collaboration API allows for ios DAWs to benefit from it (meaning AUs would have to have some vulnerability to it) this could be a gAmE ChAnGeR. Really though, think about it, if AUM had realtime collaboration.

You make a good case for collaborative music production online. Of course, things could be a real mess for non-pros, but for a small group of professionals it could be really great. And of course, for those freelancers who bill by the hour, you'd probably have an integrated way of tracking those things too.

• edited June 2022

@NeuM said:

@shazbot said:

1. Weather. Why not have a little sun/cloud icon with the temp, etc somewhere on the perimeter of the app? Having something like this also adds a little bit of 'warmth' to the production process. It makes the app less technical-centric, music production is as 'homey' as having to get groceries and cook dinner. Why bother having to swipe out to find out what's up outside?

2. Collaborative. An AUM project being no different than a collaborative document...getting past how a group of people are chosen to work simulataneously on an AUM project, someone wants to add a different melody in the ATOM instance connected to a lead synth? They do so and when they're done they hit a 'Commit' button and it gets sent to everyone elses project. If the Collaboration API allows for ios DAWs to benefit from it (meaning AUs would have to have some vulnerability to it) this could be a gAmE ChAnGeR. Really though, think about it, if AUM had realtime collaboration.

You make a good case for collaborative music production online. Of course, things could be a real mess for non-pros, but for a small group of professionals it could be really great.

Right. I'm not thinking in terms of something like Endless where it's more like anarchy, but a small private team. You choose who works on it like you choose who's in a private group chat.

• edited June 2022

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

You probably arent getting all the features of ios15 on your iphone 6s.
    The lack of a headphone jack is a non issue and blown out of proportions imho, but everyone's setups are different.
    Life is good in the USB C world. We have cookies.

• edited June 2022

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

The lack of a headphone jack is a non issue and blown out of proportions imho, but everyone's setups are different.

Honestly, you're better off getting an iPad than the iPhone. And from the looks of it, an M1 iPad...so for now, the new M1 iPad Air would be the lowest entry option (unless Apple releases an iPad Mini with that same chip...probably will be out next year 2023).

But if you wanted a phone with touch ID, the newer iPhone SE (ver 2, and ver 3) still come with Touch ID.

I don't really recommend buying a new iPhone unless you really need one. I'm personally holding on to my iPhone 6S+, and a Google Pixel 5 as my secondary phone. I'm hoping either Samsung gets it right with their Foldable phone, or Apple finally releases a USB-C phone.

Also, USB-C is not a true substitute for the headphone jack. The headphone jack is a built in audio interface, and we're trading it off for an easier dongle option. USB-C does has its advantages, though...

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

Honestly, you're better off getting an iPad than the iPhone. And from the looks of it, an M1 iPad...so for now, the new M1 iPad Air would be the lowest entry option (unless Apple releases an iPad Mini with that same chip...probably will be out next year 2023).

But if you wanted a phone with touch ID, the newer iPhone SE (ver 2, and ver 3) still come with Touch ID.

I don't really recommend buying a new iPhone unless you really need one. I'm personally holding on to my iPhone 6S+, and a Google Pixel 5 as my secondary phone. I'm hoping either Samsung gets it right with their Foldable phone, or Apple finally releases a USB-C phone.

Also, USB-C is not a true substitute for the headphone jack. The headphone jack is a built in audio interface, and we're trading it off for an easier dongle option. USB-C does has its advantages, though...

My mom has one of the Samsung foldables. She loves it. I don't like the crease area at all. I'm still on an iPhone 6. For the purposes of a phone, I won't upgrade until my phone dies or the Apple Watch can replace the phone as standalone.

The builtin codecs and amps in an iPhone are no better than the one in the dongle. I'll take the dongle and the death of the 3.5mm jack as an upgrade. I would like guitars and effects pedals to move to 3.5mm jacks though. 1/4" is annoying.

The EU may help you with the move to USB-C on the iPhone.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

Apple's Lightning headphone dongle really does work well. The SE 2 and SE 3 have touch ID.

Until you need to charge your phone.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

My mom has one of the Samsung foldables. She loves it. I don't like the crease area at all. I'm still on an iPhone 6. For the purposes of a phone, I won't upgrade until my phone dies or the Apple Watch can replace the phone as standalone.

The builtin codecs and amps in an iPhone are no better than the one in the dongle. I'll take the dongle and the death of the 3.5mm jack as an upgrade. I would like guitars and effects pedals to move to 3.5mm jacks though. 1/4" is annoying.

I went 18months with nothing but an Apple Watch. The problem was the people still called.

• edited June 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

Honestly, yeah. I had the opportunity to test the foldable Samsung phones before they were released to the public and that crease line was a big no for me. Was the reason I went with the Google Pixel as a secondary phone.

Exactly. I'm keeping my iPhone as my main music phone despite the age. But the reason I'm still a fan of the headphone jack is...

1. If you ever want to record audio, while listening to it on the same headphone, and also charge the phone, you'd need a dongle
    2. If you'd want to use a pair of headphones without in-built microphones, you can't record vocals using the in-built microphone on the USB-C iPads. You can do this with any iPhone or iPad with the headphone jack.
    3. You get two audio interfaces using the Apple devices with the headphone jack. Apps like Djay Pro allow you to split the audio between a USB device connected via lightning, and the actual headphone jack on your iPhone. On the regular USB-C, you can only use the 1 audio interface connected via USB-C.

EDIT: Since the headphone jack is no more (even with the new iPhone SE's), I'd take USB-C to lightning. It's a drag to not be able to power a Novation Launchkey/Launchpad directly from my iPhone when my Android devices can easily do it. Plus, paying $50 CAD for a dongle is a such a huge letdown.

• edited June 2022

@wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

Apple's Lightning headphone dongle really does work well. The SE 2 and SE 3 have touch ID.

Steve would never tell you "you're using the wrong dongle"

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@tja said:

That's bad news for me.

Steve would never tell you "your using the wrong dongle"

Tried that. Same thing happened. You cannot use the in-built microphone that comes with the iPhone with this dongle. It'll record the feedback coming from the actual headphones.

• I thought wim was discussing charging ;)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I thought wim was discussing charging ;)

Oh yeah, you're right. Missed the sneaky wim post.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I thought wim was discussing charging ;)

Oh yeah, you're right. Missed the sneaky wim post.

• What puzzles me the most about those little buggers is how they can disappear right when you need them, but be right where you expect them to be all the rest of the time.

• @wim said:
    What puzzles me the most about those little buggers is how they can disappear right when you need them, but be right where you expect them to be all the rest of the time.

I spent about an hour looking for mine a couple of weeks ago. I finally found it attached to my headphone cable.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:
    What puzzles me the most about those little buggers is how they can disappear right when you need them, but be right where you expect them to be all the rest of the time.

I spent about an hour looking for mine a couple of weeks ago. I finally found it attached to my headphone cable.

“Exactly where I left it!”

• @NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

“Exactly where I left it!”

Kinda, but more "exactly where it put on purpose so I wouldn't forget where it was."

• wimwim
    edited June 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

Pro Tip: When they go missing and aren't on the headphone cable, go directly to your computer and order a new one. The old one will always be located a few minutes after clicking the buy button.

• @NeonSilicon said:

"Bringing DriverKit to the iPad has the potential to be the biggest thing for music on the iPad since the iPad."

Are you able to explain to a dummy like my good self what this means in real-world terms?

• @wim said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@wim said:

Pro Tip: When they go missing and aren't on the headphone cable, go directly to your computer and order a new one. The old one will always be located a few minutes after clicking the buy button.

:D True.

• @Cambler said:

@NeonSilicon said:

"Bringing DriverKit to the iPad has the potential to be the biggest thing for music on the iPad since the iPad."

Are you able to explain to a dummy like my good self what this means in real-world terms?

I'll have to watch the sessions that are coming up this week to see if there are any limitations that I don't know about yet, but assuming there aren't any:

Audio I/O devices can have their Mac only features enabled. Like MOTU devices getting their loopback features and much lower latency.

Boss/Roland could bring their drivers for things like the GP-10 to the iPad.

USB and ethernet enabled audio communication could open up.

Better USB driver capability that is currently locked off. (This is one I'm personally interested in looking into.)

Better support for some custom Thunderbolt interfaces.

It's a potentially really big/endless list.

The unknowns for me at this point are how it's going to tie in with the App Store distribution process and if there are any limitations on what types of drivers will be supported. Hopefully WWDC sessions this week will give details.

• edited June 2022

Honestly, I think the new CarPlay stuff is the most interesting thing they announced. Doesn't affect most of us, but giving Apple full control over the displays of a vehicle is pretty crazy.

• @Tarekith said:
    Honestly, I think the new CarPlay stuff is the most interesting thing they announced. Doesn't affect most of us, but giving Apple full control over the displays of a vehicles is pretty crazy.

My main thought on that part of the keynote was, "so this is what came out of the Apple Car project?"

It does look cool, but I doubt my Leaf + iPhone 6 combo is going to get any of the benefits.

I'm not really complaining. This is one of those area's that's still in heavy development. It's going to be interesting to see where UI/UX goes in the automotive world over the next few years.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Tarekith said:
    Honestly, I think the new CarPlay stuff is the most interesting thing they announced. Doesn't affect most of us, but giving Apple full control over the displays of a vehicles is pretty crazy.

My main thought on that part of the keynote was, "so this is what came out of the Apple Car project?"

It does look cool, but I doubt my Leaf + iPhone 6 combo is going to get any of the benefits.

I'm not really complaining. This is one of those area's that's still in heavy development. It's going to be interesting to see where UI/UX goes in the automotive world over the next few years.

My first comment when they showed that in-car wraparound display: "Ah. They're finally previewing the Apple Car without telling anyone it's the Apple Car."