Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Shaving

2»

Comments

• Haruki Murakami once wrote, "Somerset Maugham once wrote that in each shave lies a philosophy. I couldn’t agree more. No matter how mundane some action might appear, keep at it long enough and it becomes a contemplative, even meditative act."

And now, seeing here a lineup of examples of the double meaning entrusted to shaving, I am amazed at the depth of Murakami's ability to abstract the human beings.
    (He admires "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, author of "The Idiot" featuring Prince Myshkin mentioned by OP.)

Incidentally, no reference to Somerset Maugham writing so has yet been found anywhere in the world. Quite a few of Murakami's readers seem to believe Somerset Maugham actually wrote that, but the truth is unknown.

• Wet shave once a week. Can’t stand to leave it any longer than that, too itchy. Went through the goatee phase years ago, don’t have the time now for the maintenance.

• Full beard for the last eleven years...keeping it at about ten millimeters...

• @GeoTony said:
    I normally have a shortish beardish thing but the problem after you reach a certain age is the hair that grows out of the nose and ear orifices. Drives my partner mad. Also the gap between the eye brows... Sure it has a name?

Indeed it does:

https://www.google.com/search?q=unibrow&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS916US916&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfuP6R7eT3AhUUknIEHcKwCYsQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1280&bih=609&dpr=1.5

• I recommend a regular beard hygiene routine. A recent news report claimed that the levels of baterial contamination in unwashed beards is positively lavatorial, so that was enough for me. I did build the resident family of blue tits a new birdhouse before I evicted them though. I'm not a monster.

• This one wins FIVE stars (of five range) for most unexpected topic on ios music apps forum i can imagine 🤣😂

• @craftycurate said:
    I recommend a regular beard hygiene routine. A recent news report claimed that the levels of baterial contamination in unwashed beards is positively lavatorial, so that was enough for me. I did build the resident family of blue tits a new birdhouse before I evicted them though. I'm not a monster.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35350886.amp

• It is the fact that despite being virtually total bald expect for the velcro strip at the base of my skull which is quite effective in keeping a wooly hat on my bounce on a windy day, hair insists on dominating my face. Shave it and hey presto it is back the following day. I will leave you with this thought. It is often said that we descend from apes, yet where do apes not have hair? Around their mouths where the eat, and around their backsides where they shit, and human males?

• @dendy said:
    This one wins FIVE stars (of five range) for most unexpected topic on ios music apps forum i can imagine 🤣😂

Wait til the Flossing thread

• I had the exact same thoughts at about the age of 20. So I asked my father “can I grow a beard?” His answer was “I don’t know. Can you?” Except for 3 summer jobs where facial hair did not fit the corporate image, I have had a short beard ever since.

• @dendy, I fully agree, which is why, after thinking long and hard, I posted it. I mean, it is something men do most of their lives and actually spend, on average, 45 days of their lives, doing. We slice and dice ourselves, spend billions on and accept it all with nary a word of complaint. Women spend 72 days shaving their legs. Now many more hours and millions of dollars spent on depilatory adventures elsewhere.

If 100,000,000 men in the US spend 45 days each shaving, I think that’s 4.5 billion days of productivity lost over 70 years. For women it’s 7.2 billion. So almost 12 billion days of productivity lost. For me that’s about 4 billion tracks I could have made and never will. Why? Shaving of course!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @dendy, I fully agree, which is why, after thinking long and hard, I posted it. I mean, it is something men do most of their lives and actually spend, on average, 45 days of their lives, doing. We slice and dice ourselves, spend billions on and accept it all with nary a word of complaint. Women spend 72 days shaving their legs. Now many more hours and millions of dollars spent on depilatory adventures elsewhere.

If 100,000,000 men in the US spend 45 days each shaving, I think that’s 4.5 billion days of productivity lost over 70 years. For women it’s 7.2 billion. So almost 12 billion days of productivity lost. For me that’s about 4 billion tracks I could have made and never will. Why? Shaving of course!

You can't shave and play keys at the same time?
    Disillusioned. :|

• edited May 2022

Pfft amateur. :D

• @wim @Tarekith It takes two hands, fools.

• I call BS. Playing piano with two hands at once is not possible. Anyone who claims they can is a liar.

• I have a pro tip for anyone who finds having a beard itchy. Once it gets past about 8 - 10mm it will mostly stop itching anyway, but if it doesn't, rub a petit pois sized blob of this into it when you get out the shower. I have 3 daughters with semi-afro hair and this stuff is designed for that, but it works wonders on beards.

• edited May 2022

So - I've got the mustache and goatee combo, which I've had for almost 10 years now with very few breaks. I always wanted to grow facial hair but for ages it just looked like crap - the mustache wouldn't meet the beard at the corners of my mouth, there was a sleazy gap in the middle of the mustache under my nose, beard was patchy - the works. My dad had a mustache as long as I knew him but shaved it off when he retired, and for ages I couldn't get it to work despite many efforts.

One year for Halloween I dressed up with a bunch of friends as characters from The Big Lebowski, and I got to be The Dude. I'd had a goatee for a while at that point but this was the first time I grew the mustache to match (I'd avoided mustaches as I didn't want to look like my dad). Once it came in, it was the first time in my life that I looked in the mirror and thought "Hey, I look alright." I've basically had it ever since in varying lengths. I've had a short beard many times, only growing a long one about a year into COVID. I would always get to a certain length and then get sick of it. The full/long beard didn't look bad once I trimmed it (I looked like Charles Manson until then), but it was hot and took too much maintenance. I prefer the mustache/goatee look better anyway.

Here's my thing about shaving - I'm lucky that my hair tends to grow fairly slowly, so I shave every day. Even weekends. The reason is that I've found that my face gets less irritated when I shave often - when I let it go more than one day I end up shaving off stubble which hurts more and is less pleasant. That and as I get older I'm more particular about how I groom myself - I take far more care now than I ever did when I was younger. Generally I actually like the way I look now, which is still a new idea to me.

I've got a dream that I'll figure out the safety razor or maybe even a straight razor someday, but I've not gotten there yet.

Fun with facial hair.

• It’s hair maintenance day today, so might as well throw in my two-penn'orth. Over the years I’ve experimented with various things, but have been settled now for quite a while on a shaved head (open clipper roughly every 3-4 weeks) and full beard (sides tidied up while shaving head). Saves faffing about with products to which I’m likely allergic (general fragrance allergy amongst others), no daily maintenance apart from shampooing it in the shower and a couple of rinses a day as required.

Last time I shaved the beard fully was when I had a goatee and accidentally shaved one side too close, and when evened up I looked like Hitler on a bad day. Full set ever since. Previous full beard removal was decades ago and everyone told me to grow it back ASAP!

• Proud beard-wearer here. People complaining about itching may have sebhorrheic dermatitis. In which case, I recommend the following:
    1. Cleanse your face, including the beard area. I personally find that hard soap bars work better than liquid options. The fewer additives the better.
    2. If necessary, add a little cider vinegar after cleansing, then rinse off a few minutes later. This is a great anti fungal.
    3. The secret sauce - after cleansing, rub in a few drops of mct oil. Maybe add a drop or two of tea tree or Naouli or another essential oil, then add a few drops of water, emulsify by rubbing your hands together for a few seconds, then rub into your beard. This same routine is also an excellent treatment for dandruff. Mct oil is fractionated coconut or palm oil - the part that is been removed is the part which feeds fungi and yeasts. I use the same routine for my whole head - face, beard, hair - and it is amazing.

Let me know if you try this and it works for you!

• I had an almost 2 foot long beard for about 6 or so years. I’ve always had some sort of facial hair. I hated shaving as it gave me terrible ingrown hairs. I then discovered all the crazy artisan wetshaving products and communities. Pretty much solved the ingrown hair issue and makes it t enjoyable to shave. Shaving turned more into a hobby at that point (way to much money spent). I pretty much have been rocking a large horseshoe mustache for ages now.

• edited May 2022

@NoiseHorse said:

@dendy said:
    This one wins FIVE stars (of five range) for most unexpected topic on ios music apps forum i can imagine 🤣😂

Wait til the Flossing thread

Honestly, wouldn't be surprised even by topic about masturbation 🤣😂 which i think most of men spends more time than shaving 😂🤣

• edited May 2022

I hate shaving with a passion. Only thing I hate more is beards. I’m very thankful that I can’t even grow a full mustache or beard, I just start looking rag-tag around day 6. But even shaving once a week is a dreaded task for some reason. I thought switching to an electric would make things easier, but hell no. It takes even longer to do a thorough job and is maddening when it just won’t get a spot no matter how many times I run over it. Back to shaving cream and the whole deal. Maybe the worst 5-7 minutes of the week.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Gonna buck the trend here…
    For 30 years I used an electric razor daily… finally I tried a real blade with the whole lather thing. Night and day!
    I do the whole process standing under a nice hot shower every day. Very relaxing! It’s a good excuse to take longer showers and contemplate the universe.