Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OP-1 feature discussion thread (no $ talk, please!)

Comments

• abfabf
    edited February 2023

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Why did you sell it?

I started to get frustrated with it a little bit, there are a lot of features for sure. Part of the UI is genius (sequencer) but part of it is just very crowded. Some basic things, like the synth preset system, were goofy. Then I got a good offer for it, so I decided to sell. I was missing it off and on, but then I got the OP-1 and I connected with it right away.

I don't want to say negative things about the Deluge, though. Synthstrom is a cool company, the Deluge is
    really special. I made some good tunes with it.

• I dunno……
    Sometimes 4 midicc’s is just too much to handle.

• Succumbed to G.A.S. the other week and sold my original model OP-1 along with 3 recent rap records that are currently stupidly collectible to fund the purchase of an OP-1 Field.
    It’s everything I hoped for, a souped up version of the original, sort of like the difference between a VW Golf and a VW Golf GTI.

• edited February 2023

• @abf said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Why did you sell it?

I started to get frustrated with it a little bit, there are a lot of features for sure. Part of the UI is genius (sequencer) but part of it is just very crowded. Some basic things, like the synth preset system, were goofy. Then I got a good offer for it, so I decided to sell. I was missing it off and on, but then I got the OP-1 and I connected with it right away.

I don't want to say negative things about the Deluge, though. Synthstrom is a cool company, the Deluge is
    really special. I made some good tunes with it.

The Deluge now is pretty much complete with its digital display, which helps the process of creating much easier.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@abf said:
    I sold a guitar and with a portion of the money I bought an OP-1field. I never had one of the originals so I had no comparison or expectations.

I am impressed. It sounds beautiful, rich, pristine. And it is the most fun I've had with a piece of gear in...maybe ever. I don't own a lot of gear, I like having just a few nice pieces. I also own an OB-6 and if I had to grab one of them to escape some disaster, it would be a very tough decision. I think the OP-1field might just win, and not only because it's so small. It is well made, a bit heavy, solid, it feels good using it. The screen/graphics are lovely.

I intend to pair it with my iPad, thanks to @mistercharlie for the suggestion of using it with Loopy Pro, I am going to check that out.

What I find so far-

These first two features knocked me out:
    The tape emulations are excellent, the best I've heard. I've owned 3" stereo, 7" 2-track, and 1" 8-track reel to reels, a minidisc machine, a portastudio, and recorded to 2" 16-track and 24-track tape in studios. Teenage Engineering nailed those sounds (the portastudio emulation is of a machine in worse condition than mine was). Very impressive. I will use this box as an effect machine, I plan to run plenty of DAW recorded tracks through these emulations.

The pitch shifting of samples is so good.

Also:
    The microphone sounds very nice, as do the converters, so sampling is rewarding.

The effects are very good, I hope they update the delay.

The synths sound great, some are more to my taste than others, the new Dimension synth is sweet.

The drums are good, hard hitting. The finger sequencer is a blast to use with the drums.

Velocity sensitivity is welcome but not totally smooth, especially with the black "keys".

The sequencers and LFOs are fun and weird.

We have the perfect FM stations around here for finding good sample material- a religious station constantly asking for money, a station for avant jazz, another for oldies from the 1940s and 50s, and a pop psychology station where people call in to discuss their problems. I am loving sampling the radio.

The vocoder is a nice addition and works seamlessly, I will use it.

This box is deep but totally fun like an amazing puzzle. I haven't yet explored sample slicing or lifting and dropping pieces of tape or dozens of other interesting features. It will take some time to dive into all of it, and I will enjoy every minute.

It's worth every penny I paid for it.

I will not succumb to GAS. I will NOT succumb to GAS. New iPhone Pro Max...1TB...fits in my pocket...phew. GAS averted. 😂

Ahem

• @echoopera Nice set-up!
    I think the OP-1f/iPad combo is going to be perfect. My iPad is kinda old (Air 3), and not a good one. I am saving for a new iPad now, but this one is working with the OP-1 just fine. There are so many fun things I can do with this combination, it's almost overwhelming. Any kind of information, ideas, or discoveries you have about your OP-1f/iPad adventures, please post here.

It's a beautiful day today, we're going for a long hike to a cliff top we love, I'm taking the OP-1 to get some field recordings. Have a great one, everybody!

• @echoopera said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@abf said:
    I sold a guitar and with a portion of the money I bought an OP-1field. I never had one of the originals so I had no comparison or expectations.

I am impressed. It sounds beautiful, rich, pristine. And it is the most fun I've had with a piece of gear in...maybe ever. I don't own a lot of gear, I like having just a few nice pieces. I also own an OB-6 and if I had to grab one of them to escape some disaster, it would be a very tough decision. I think the OP-1field might just win, and not only because it's so small. It is well made, a bit heavy, solid, it feels good using it. The screen/graphics are lovely.

I intend to pair it with my iPad, thanks to @mistercharlie for the suggestion of using it with Loopy Pro, I am going to check that out.

What I find so far-

These first two features knocked me out:
    The tape emulations are excellent, the best I've heard. I've owned 3" stereo, 7" 2-track, and 1" 8-track reel to reels, a minidisc machine, a portastudio, and recorded to 2" 16-track and 24-track tape in studios. Teenage Engineering nailed those sounds (the portastudio emulation is of a machine in worse condition than mine was). Very impressive. I will use this box as an effect machine, I plan to run plenty of DAW recorded tracks through these emulations.

The pitch shifting of samples is so good.

Also:
    The microphone sounds very nice, as do the converters, so sampling is rewarding.

The effects are very good, I hope they update the delay.

The synths sound great, some are more to my taste than others, the new Dimension synth is sweet.

The drums are good, hard hitting. The finger sequencer is a blast to use with the drums.

Velocity sensitivity is welcome but not totally smooth, especially with the black "keys".

The sequencers and LFOs are fun and weird.

We have the perfect FM stations around here for finding good sample material- a religious station constantly asking for money, a station for avant jazz, another for oldies from the 1940s and 50s, and a pop psychology station where people call in to discuss their problems. I am loving sampling the radio.

The vocoder is a nice addition and works seamlessly, I will use it.

This box is deep but totally fun like an amazing puzzle. I haven't yet explored sample slicing or lifting and dropping pieces of tape or dozens of other interesting features. It will take some time to dive into all of it, and I will enjoy every minute.

It's worth every penny I paid for it.

I will not succumb to GAS. I will NOT succumb to GAS. New iPhone Pro Max...1TB...fits in my pocket...phew. GAS averted. 😂

Ahem

I have a dumb question. Are you able to access the OP-1F's file system with that set-up? Or is it MIDI and automation only?

• No file system access via iPadOS. You have to do that on the desktop.

• @echoopera said:
    No file system access via iPadOS. You have to do that on the desktop.

My GAS is cured once more, lol. I don't have a desktop/laptop. 😂

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@echoopera said:
    No file system access via iPadOS. You have to do that on the desktop.

My GAS is cured once more, lol. I don't have a desktop/laptop. 😂

But it does work as an audio interface, which to me is more interesting anyway.

• This is TE just taking the piss, I swear. $1599!

• Yeah, I don't think anybody would ever have GAS for that. 😂

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Yeah, I don't think anybody would ever have GAS for that. 😂

I’m totally into it!

• I know we're not supposed to talk about money in this thread, but I'd be lying if I didn't at least cogitate on the fact that this table costs more than the original OP-1. So in that respect, I suppose it's psychologically shrewd, right? I mean, hell, if they're selling a barbecue table for $1,600, it's only another $300 for an OP-1Field!

It is interesting that you have to sign a waiver if you're a Buffalo Bills fan.

• @mistercharlie said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Yeah, I don't think anybody would ever have GAS for that. 😂

I’m totally into it!

Is it a gamechangier? 😂

(Yep time for a weak forum trope. 🤣)

• It looks like shelving from Walmart. I don't like the look of it, I wouldn't want one of those tables even at $16. The OP-1f is my only TE product, I never paid any attention to them before. They seem like a pretty weird company.

I admit I'd like to see a Bills fan smash the TE table.

• @abf said:
    I admit I'd like to see a Bills fan smash the TE table.

😂 My new favourite reply in this thread, lol.

• fuck teenage engineering. their products suck, are gimmicky, they have shit customer support, and at this point, they are outright making fun of their users. original op 1 was decent when you could get it used for 400$.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    fuck teenage engineering. their products suck, are gimmicky, they have shit customer support, and at this point, they are outright making fun of their users. original op 1 was decent when you could get it used for 400$.

This thread was created for OP-1 talk, and no money talk. Please stay on topic, or start another thread if you like!

• edited February 2023

@shinyisshiny said:
    fuck teenage engineering. their products suck , are gimmicky, they have shit customer support, and at this point, they are outright making fun of their users. original op 1 was decent when you could get it used for 400$.

😂 If their products suck, then how was the OP-1 decent?

To be honest, I've had on-and-off GAS for the OP-1 and then the OP-1F because they seemed like fun toys to muck about with. However, when my car was mildly scraped by accident and I got a hefty insurance settlement, I had a choice between an OP-1F and an M1 iPad Pro 12.9". I went with the latter as I can do more with it and have done more with it.

After watching a video comparing both the OP-1 and OP-1F, it cured my GAS for good. Just a bunch of fiddling around to get something halfway decent out of it.

• @jwmmakerofmusic everything else sucks lol... op 1 is decent, and im guessing op 1F is decent too, havent tried it. Ive owned, sold, and re-bought OP-1 a handful of times through the years. my first one was one of the first batch. It can be fun, but its still pretty gimicky.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic everything else sucks lol... op 1 is decent, and im guessing op 1F is decent too, havent tried it. Ive owned, sold, and re-bought OP-1 a handful of times through the years. my first one was one of the first batch. It can be fun, but its still pretty gimicky.

LOL! I agree with everything else sucking and being practically useless in my workflow. :) An OP-1/OP-1F would be fun to play around with, but so would a new iPhone 14 Pro Max with 1TB storage.

• Having big regrets about selling my OP-1 lately. I’ve been through 2 more samplers and none of them seem tailor-made for me like the OP-1 did. So now I’m saving up for another 🤦🏻‍♂️ might as well get the Field this time.

• I'd totally be into the desk, but I feel I'd be missing out since it didnt have a battery, an fm transmitter, able to be assembled with the hand crank, while drinking a TE beer as the wooden choir sings and is recorded onto the tx-6 thats plugged into the NUC in the orange computer case and the OB-4 speakers.

I'd be made a mockery of at the IPA festival.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I'd totally be into the desk, but I feel I'd be missing out since it didnt have a battery, an fm transmitter, able to be assembled with the hand crank, while drinking a TE beer as the wooden choir sings and is recorded onto the tx-6 thats plugged into the NUC in the orange computer case and the OB-4 speakers.

I love IPAs as well as Ambers and Pilsners. 😂

• edited February 2023

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I'd totally be into the desk, but I feel I'd be missing out since it didnt have a battery, an fm transmitter, able to be assembled with the hand crank, while drinking a TE beer as the wooden choir sings and is recorded onto the tx-6 thats plugged into the NUC in the orange computer case and the OB-4 speakers.

Don't worry TE are going to release special accessories designed excusively for the table!! Extra expensive accessories of course. They got you covered.

• From elektronauts:

• edited February 2023

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    From elektronauts:

LOL! 😂 I mean, I have the same desk that I've had since 2002, and it still works fine. 🤣 I think it costed like $100 USD back then which is like $160 USD today. And I also use a lapdesk for late night jams when I cbf to get out of bed and want to lay out a beat or craft an Ambient jam.

EDIT: TE seems to be evolving from a music hardware company into an expensive name-brand music boutique.