Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launchpad Programming

Comments

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    @espiegel123 or @Michael, isn't loopy using programmers mode, not session mode?

I don’t have an LP Pro. My LP X says returns live mode when it is in-use by Loopy and I query it.

It would (at least I hope so for Michael's sanity) be the the same mode on a mini, X, or pro.

If you have Loopy Pro, it is easy enough to check. There is a sysex command that you can send to query about the state and the the LaunchPad will return a response -- for the time being you need to run the query in a different host since Loopy isn't correctly passing the sysex on to AUs. So, to check I am running Loopy Pro (with background processing on) and switching to AUM to run a Mozaic script that it doing nothing other than querying the LaunchPad via the readback mechanism about the mode.

My guess is that Loopy uses the same mode for both Launchpad X and Pro.

• I haven't really used Loopy Pro and I'm aware I can query the device. Haven't tested my script in loopy.
    Was always just curious for the future when the roadmap starts ticking the boxes I need.

• edited April 2022

@Artvarg said:
    That’s exactly what I tried yesterday when Mozaic crashed inside loopy pro.

I'd like to know more about this. Is it happening consistently for you?
    My coworker who uses loopy extensively is having issues w/ Mozaic in Loopy

Hmmm… the longer I think about this, the more confusing it gets for me. What about the host app? Loopy Pro does a very solid job of lighting the pads and other communication with the Launchpad. Do you want to tell me I should put all this stuff in the script? Is that even possible for Loopy? 😵‍💫
    For other apps I can totally see the point.

What about the pages and buttons it doesn't light or use? If youre writing a control script, wouldn't you want everything that loopy doesn't handle to flow through the script?

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@Artvarg said:

Hmmm… the longer I think about this, the more confusing it gets for me. What about the host app? Loopy Pro does a very solid job of lighting the pads and other communication with the Launchpad. Do you want to tell me I should put all this stuff in the script? Is that even possible for Loopy? 😵‍💫

What about the pages and buttons it doesn't light or use? If youre writing a control script, wouldn't you want everything that loopy doesn't handle to flow through the script?

@AlmostAnonymous : I have explained earlier in the thread why Mozaic is crashing. Currently, there is a bug in Loopy Pro when sysex comes in -- it passes along only an F7 -- which by itself is not valid MIDI. Mozaic crashes when it encounters this (at least inside Loopy Pro) when you have any incoming MIDI processing.

The solution (as I described earlier) at this time is to use StreamByter to filter out these lone F7 messages. I have reported the issue to Michael. @brambos might also want to look at it. (Loopy Pro shouldn't be passing through non-compliant MIDI -- and maybe Mozaic shouldn't die if it gets the bad MIDI).

Currently, you can't read sysex from the LaunchPad in Loopy -- but you can send Sysex to it.

• edited April 2022

Ah. My coworkers crashes were not sysex related.

None of the scripts were using it. We were piping mozaic midi between loopy and aum over the aum destination port.

He's also not the only one I know with mozaic issues in Loopy. Again, loopy isn't my sandbox so it could just be user error and/or janky scripts. I just dont have the bandwidth right now to troubleshoot their stuff.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Ah. My coworkers crashes were not sysex related.

None of the scripts were using it. We were piping mozaic midi between loopy and aum over the aum destination port.

He's also not the only one I know with mozaic issues in Loopy. Again, loopy isn't my sandbox so it could just be user error and/or janky code.

They should make sure to report the bugs so that they can be fixed.

• edited April 2022

Yeah, I hound them about that, but you know that works out for a lot of people (reporting bugs).
    I wanna troubleshoot it myself for bug reporting purposes. Selfish ones of course ;)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Yeah, I hound them about that, but you know that works out for a lot of people (reporting bugs).

?

• edited April 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

?

They dont report.

• @espiegel123 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@Artvarg said:

@AlmostAnonymous : I have explained earlier in the thread why Mozaic is crashing. Currently, there is a bug in Loopy Pro when sysex comes in -- it passes along only an F7 -- which by itself is not valid MIDI. Mozaic crashes when it encounters this (at least inside Loopy Pro) when you have any incoming MIDI processing.

The solution (as I described earlier) at this time is to use StreamByter to filter out these lone F7 messages. I have reported the issue to Michael. @brambos might also want to look at it. (Loopy Pro shouldn't be passing through non-compliant MIDI -- and maybe Mozaic shouldn't die if it gets the bad MIDI).

Currently, you can't read sysex from the LaunchPad in Loopy -- but you can send Sysex to it.

Yeah, I’m fixing this in the next version

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    @espiegel123 or @Michael, isn't loopy using programmers mode, not session mode?

It uses session mode.

I’m gonna be adding support for the faders fairly soon too, by the way

• edited April 2022

@Michael said:
    It uses session mode.

I find that surprising really.

• @AlmostAnonymous : when you have set up session mode and faders, do you get the session mode button toggling between green for clips and orange for faders?

i can toggle the layouts via programming, but the manual seems to imply that the session mode behavior changes if you have set up faders.

• edited April 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    @AlmostAnonymous : when you have set up session mode and faders, do you get the session mode button toggling between green for clips and orange for faders?

i can toggle the layouts via programming, but the manual seems to imply that the session mode behavior changes if you have set up faders.

I'm not sure I follow your question.

When I enable session mode, the session mode button is the default launchpad color as the custom, notes, etc buttons (unless I go change it). That light white color. Mostly everything else I need to illuminate myself.

When you ask if theres a difference after faders are setup, I have not found any. I believe if you leave session mode to go into programmers and then go back, you might lose stuff. I was doing this for a bit with a script integrating LPs into remix live. They released their support to so never had to go back to it.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @AlmostAnonymous : when you have set up session mode and faders, do you get the session mode button toggling between green for clips and orange for faders?

I'm not sure I follow your question.

When I enable session mode, the session mode button is the default launchpad color as the custom, notes, etc buttons (unless I go change it). That light white color. Mostly everything else I need to illuminate myself.

When you ask if theres a difference after faders are setup, I have not found any. I believe if you leave session mode to go into programmers and then go back, you might lose stuff. I was doing this for a bit with a script integrating LPs into remix live. They released their support to so never had to go back to it.

The launchpad docs say that when the launchpad is in session mode that the session button becomes a toggle to switch between mixer and clips view. And that the color of the button toggles between (green and orange).

if you also haven’t seen this behavior, I am guessing that it isn’t something the launchpad actually does on its own.

I haven’t seen anything in the lp docs about a message to change the color of the session/mixer button. Maybe I’ve overlooked it?

• edited April 2022

@espiegel123, I have a pro and a mini3. The mini should be the same as the X and I am unaware of that toggle on a mini. I'd be interested to see that documentation. To change the color, you just send a CC message.

This thread as been all over the place and between threads as well. To be clear, you have and use an X, correct?

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    @espiegel123, I have a pro and a mini3. The mini should be the same as the X and I am unaware of that toggle on a mini. I'd be interested to see that documentation. To change the color, you just send a CC message.

This thread as been all over the place and between threads as well. To be clear, you have and use an X, correct?

Yes, and the LP Pro docs have similar language. This is in the user manual and not programmer reference.

I just re-read the programmer reference and wonder if it might be related to the “daw session button color set”. I’ll explore that theory later.

• I myself have use a dual color on buttons as toggles. If I remember correctly, I had to explicitly turn off the session mode light before sending it a new color because the white/grey was persistent and the new color mixed. Maybe that could be it?

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I myself have use a dual color on buttons as toggles. If I remember correctly, I had to explicitly turn off the session mode light before sending it a new color because the white/grey was persistent and the new color mixed. Maybe that could be it?

I just experimented. I think the orange/green session mode toggling is just Live changing the session mode button color rather than the launchpad doing something automagically.

• Quick demo video of my Mozaic script that sets up a fader bank on the Launchpad and toggles between clips and fader mode using the session button and toggles the color deoending in whether in clips or fader vies.

• @Michael said:

That is so awesome to hear. On the roadmap it looked like this is of rather low priority.

• @Artvarg said:

@Michael said:

That is so awesome to hear. On the roadmap it looked like this is of rather low priority.

Ah yeah, the order on the roadmap is super rough, and not really indicative of when I’m gonna do something. There’s not really a plan 😆

• @Michael said:

Ah yeah, the order on the roadmap is super rough, and not really indicative of when I’m gonna do something. There’s not really a plan 😆

Just keep doing what you do. You seem to have a really good sense of what is needed and wanted by your audience.
    For me Loopy Pro is a revelation and now forms the holy trinity of essential apps together with Drambo and AUM. 🍩🎛🎚
    Thanks for all your hard work.

• @Artvarg said:

@Michael said:

Just keep doing what you do. You seem to have a really good sense of what is needed and wanted by your audience.
    For me Loopy Pro is a revelation and now forms the holy trinity of essential apps together with Drambo and AUM. 🍩🎛🎚
    Thanks for all your hard work.

Thank you!

• edited April 2022

@Michael said:
    There’s not really a plan

I've stopped planning things. Sticking to the plan is just one more thing I have to plan on doing, instead of doing the actual work I need to do.

• Precisely

• @espiegel123 said:

@Artvarg said:
    The volume button on the LP sends CC4. So far mozaic crashes inside loopy pro if I let it react to an incoming CC message. It works fine in AUM though. I call it quits for today.
    Thanks a lot @espiegel123 and @AlmostAnonymous you really helped me get one step closer to the ultimate Launchpad setup. 🙏

Here is the deal with the Mozaic crash. Loopy Pro is stripping out all but the last byte of any sysex messages and that byte (F7) is crashing Mozaic.

I found a workaround. I have a 3 line streambyter script that strips that byte. I route the midi from the Launchpad through streambyter to Mozaic. I can post it later.

FYI this bug is fixed in LP's next update, and I've also added a custom message type for the MIDI Send action:

• @Michael
    great just great!
    all your work is delicious!

• @szczyp said:
    @Michael
    great just great!
    all your work is delicious!

Thank you!

• Hi,

I was wondering if this script is also working with a LP Mini MK3 and, if so, I would be very grateful to get hold of the script.

Thanks