Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro by Akai Professional & Retronyms OUT NOW (IAA/MIDI supported)

Comments

• edited July 2014

Please can someone make a video explaining how to sync this with Cubasis? It's getting really frustrating with many people saying they're doing it but not explaining any step by step instructions. :(

• Anyone known if all samples of iMPC (original) are different to the Pro and witch are the same?

I plan to put all from one to other but don't want duplicates...

Thanks

• @Korakios said:

@SuperNiCd said:

Just curious, are you all sending bug reports to Retronyms? I wonder if it makes sense to send certain feature requests (e.g. Audiobus 2.0 support) directly to Akai. Seems like Akai would benefit from additional sales if this app supported certain features that Retronyms may or may not have recommended including. Thoughts?

Don't bother...they mention for years they might add audiobus support on iMPC classic ,so I prefer spending some more money (sale ends) , when iMPC pro already has the features I want.

Think it's pretty clear at this point that they aren't going to support AB2 in iMPC or iMPC Pro. All comments about it in reply to youtube comments or twitter indicate that they're sticking with IAA and since AB is going to support IAA, why should they bother?

Plus, you can use Audioshare to get iMPC Pro into the input or output slots of AB. I'd actually prefer them work on other stuff.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

Please can someone make a video explaining how to sync this with Cubasis? It's getting really frustrating with many people saying they're doing it but not explaining any step by step instructions. :(

Yar, we could use a FAQ/How-to thread. Though maybe this is better on the Akai or Retronyms forum? We're on page 11 for an app that isn't supporting AB.

• Channel 10. On the Main Page, these are used to fire off the pads. On the TimeLine and Song page, they are used to select the Sequence. Can someone confirm these?

1. 24 Pad 2
    2. 25 Pad 1
    3. 26 Pad 6
    4. 28 Pad 5
    5. 2A Pad 3
    6. 2B Pad 12
    7. 2C Pad 8
    8. 2D Pad 11
    9. 2E Pad 7
    10. 2F Pad 10
    11. 30 Pad 9
    12. 31 Pad 13
    13. 33 Pad 15
    14. 35 Pad 16
    15. 37 Pad 14
    16. 52 Pad 4
  • edited July 2014

@Sinapsya said:

@ChrisG Yes, Midi Start/Stop/Rec works outside too...I try with my Quneo and are the same CC as iMPC, the only difference are Ch for pads: on iMPC ch6 and on PRO ch 10...

Interesting. Do you have the CC/nr for start and stop?

• You can't remember Man :(

You can download my Quneo Template and see in the editor if you have it...sorry...

At today I only use the element...

• @ChrisG I found them on Channel 1, 43 Record and Play Start/Stop 50.

• edited July 2014

It really is a shame that Retronyms/Akai continue to disappoint, yet this app will still sell because of the Akai name and the reputation of the hardware MPC. Akai is part of the inMusic conglomerate. Think of all the resources they have at their disposal. Then consider that iMPC has been out for over a year and a half and they've had all that time to get feedback and make improvements. Then consider how well some of your favorite apps work that come from small, scrappy devs.

I'm not saying this app won't get 'better', but if history is any guide...

• Ok. Well I'm trying to fire various CCs on different channels to iMPC Pro from Lemur using an 8 track CC sequencer. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something. :)

• edited July 2014

@ArcaneScreams Alright thanks, gonna try messing around here with that

Edit: Hm ch 1, CC 50 from nordbeat is the "16 levels" function in iMPC.

Using the NordBeat app via Virtual Midi (not the iMini) it looks like this:

Channel 1, CC 67 = Record

Channel 1, CC 80 = Play

• @telecharge said:

It really is a shame that Retronyms/Akai continue to disappoint, yet this app will still sell because of the Akai name and the reputation of the hardware MPC. Akai is part of the inMusic conglomerate. Think of all the resources they have at their disposal. Then consider that iMPC has been out for over a year and a half and they've had all that time to get feedback and make improvements. Then consider how well some of your favorite apps work that come from small, scrappy devs.

I'm not saying this app won't get 'better', but if history is any guide...

I'm not disappointed. It's a wicked MPC style groovebox. Oh, and it's only 13 bucks :)

• @syrupcore said:

Think it's pretty clear at this point that they aren't going to support AB2 in iMPC or iMPC Pro. All comments about it in reply to youtube comments or twitter indicate that they're sticking with IAA and since AB is going to support IAA, why should they bother?

Plus, you can use Audioshare to get iMPC Pro into the input or output slots of AB. I'd actually prefer them work on other stuff.

AB is going to support IAA, that doesn't mean that an IAA only app like iMPC Pro is ever going to support AB.

• Frankly if we're talking Akai and disappointing quality, the downgrade of their new MPK line takes the cake...

I haven't really had a chance to play with iMPC Pro yet but it looks beautiful. Planning on testing the MIDI findings reported here during Argentina/Netherlands. Hoping the chop issues reported get fixed quickly.

• @Zymos said:

AB is going to support IAA, that doesn't mean that an IAA only app like iMPC Pro is ever going to support AB.

Hasn't it been inferred though that it will be similar to the workaroud now (load something IAA-only into Audioshare or a DAW that accepts IAA, and have that app running in AB), only the current middle man (Audioshare/DAW) woundn't be needed and the IAA app itself would just occupy whatever slot in AB?

• No. The AB SDK includes support for IAA, which means any app that has support for AB will automatically support IAA. The opposite is not true- an IAA app is not AB aware unless it is specifically written to be.

• edited July 2014

Via Virtual MIDI these values works with Little MIDI Machine and NordBeat (I'll get more later), both are free apps. Now it should at least possible to sync iMPC Pro via VM and send MIDI clock to whatever else you wanna have running alongside it.

Channel 1, CC 80 = Play

• @ChrisG nice work, thanks.

• @ChrisG said:

Channel 1, CC 80 = Play

Its the same thing really,

CC 67 in decimal = CC 43 in Hex

likewise CC 80 decimal = CC 50 in Hex

• @ChrisG said:

Channel 1, CC 80 = Play

Whoa, ok. Can you try the drum pad numbers Channel 10?

• edited July 2014

Ah didn't know about using hex nrs. Yes drums work on ch 10 with NordBeat etc.

Anyway, with this I can now sync up Auria and iMPC Pro. Coolio! :)

• I got it. The NordBeat comes in handy for this. Awesome!

• @Paulinko, "This information is available on their website. " Can you please give a link, cannot find it, thanks.

• @ArcaneScreams said:

I got it. The NordBeat comes in handy for this. Awesome!

Yea. Drum pads starts on ch10, CC 36 (the first bas-drum pad) and up from there.

• Can anyone comment on what value CC 80 sends for play? Is it 127?

I'm thinking of trying to use the Cubasis automation lane to try and send it on a control track. Such a stupid workaround if it works, but I'll try it.

• @Zymos said:

@syrupcore said:

I may have been unclear. The "and since AB is going to support IAA, why should they bother?" was me psuedo-quoting them.

Some Retronyms replies to AB support questions on YouTube:

We're supporting Apple's free Inter App Audio standard. In this video you can see it used in many ways including recording iMPC Pro into other apps. You'll be able to track iMPC Pro into your favorite DAWs, etc. Also, Audiobus announced Inter App Audio support in their latest SDK update, so you can use that if you want.

And

We support Inter App Audio. You can sample from other apps, use inter-app effects, and track your iMPC Pro sequences/songs into your favorite DAW's — plus AB announced inter app audio support, so you should be covered.

• They're working on a fix (fox, actually) for the losing (loosing, actually) chop position issue.

• I hope their coding and bug squashing is better than their spelling :(