Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro by Akai Professional & Retronyms OUT NOW (IAA/MIDI supported)

Comments

• All these BeatMaker 2 comments in this iMPC PRO thread would led one to believe that BM 2 is actually a really good MPC emulation. It might be I guess, I don't remember, haven't used BM2 much and not in a long time.

• I went ahead and bought this. Figure $13 is chump change for any kind of musical instrument, and am seeing enough evidence here that Akai/Retronyms really tried to do this up right, and are proactively responding to bug reports. Seems like a winner to me so far. Have to agree that there's already plenty of negativity around it here and more is just becoming clutter for those who are comparing notes in an effort to get any problems addressed in a maintenance release.

I'm having quite a bit of fun with it.

I did not buy the original iMPC. Are we saying it has a completely different sample set that can be imported into Pro? Is that sound set worth $7?

• FYI (that's for people actually interested in this app), it does MIDI out so you can sequence external stuff with it. I just recorded a midi sequence in Cubasis, with iMPC Pro triggering the MIDI (and the internal Cubasis sounds). I haven't delved that far into all that to know if you can split the signal/channel (or if that's already done inside iMPC Pro with the 4 different banks), having one bank sequencing external stuff and another the internal.

• @SuperNiCd said:

I did not buy the original iMPC. Are we saying it has a completely different sample set that can be imported into Pro? Is that sound set worth $7?

1.) Yes, it's different and can be imported.

2.) That's a matter of opinion I reckon. Someone upthread said the samples in the free Tabletop were the same as the "classic" iMPC, but I have yet to investigate it.

• @firejan82 said:

All these BeatMaker 2 comments in this iMPC PRO thread would led one to believe that BM 2 is actually a really good MPC emulation. It might be I guess, I don't remember, haven't used BM2 much and not in a long time.

It's not that BM2 is a good MPC emulation (it has its own workflow). It's that BM2 already has the features iMPC Pro offers, and it's had them for years.

BM2 doesn't try to reproduce the classic MPC workflow, nor is it the most intuitive app, but it's the most feature complete app for sample-driven beatmaking.

iMPC Pro obviously has a more faithful MPC workflow, and it's a much slicker app than BM2. It's just that it doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

• @PHᐃNTᐃSM said:

iMPC Pro obviously has a more faithful MPC workflow, and it's a much slicker app than BM2. It's just that it doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

Apart from a UI and workflow that doesn't make me want to burn my ipad ;)

• edited July 2014

@firejan82 said:

All these BeatMaker 2 comments in this iMPC PRO thread ...

In the interest of letting new iMPC users enjoy this thread, i've started a new thread for those of us who will stick with BM2. I hope to get some input from those who have more experience with Beatmaker 2 than myself.

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5074/request-for-tips-for-using-beatmaker-2.

• Cheers Sinapsya for the info.Hopefully they will fix it soon.

• edited July 2014

@amarmash said:

Does this App have Midi in and out ?

Yes, the app does have midi in and out. Like many drum/percussion apps you have to be aware of which midi channel and notes trigger the pads in the app. This information is available on their website. There are also transport midi controls too. In terms of virtual midi, the app will show up as iMini (made by the same developer).

iMPC Pro Channel 10, Note and Midi#

C#3 G3 D#3 F3
    61 67 63 65

C3 B2 A2 G2
    60 59 57 55

E2 D2 A#2 G#2
    52 50 58 56

C#2 C2 F#2 A#5
    49 48 54 94

• Have problems with importet wav samples. The ends of the samples are cutted. Have
    Any one else the some probs.
    Sorry for my english!

• @PHᐃNTᐃSM

thanks for the clarification

• Thanks @telecharge. I'll have to redownload Tabletop and investigate (though without having the original iMPC I won't be able to compare).

• So@ChrisG said:

FYI (that's for people actually interested in this app), it does MIDI out so you can sequence external stuff with it. I just recorded a midi sequence in Cubasis, with iMPC Pro triggering the MIDI (and the internal Cubasis sounds). I haven't delved that far into all that to know if you can split the signal/channel (or if that's already done inside iMPC Pro with the 4 different banks), having one bank sequencing external stuff and another the internal.

But What about Midi IN to use it as a Drumexpander in Cubasis (better than nothing if there's no reliable Sync)?

• @Fako79 said:

Have problems with importet wav samples. The ends of the samples are cutted. Have
    Any one else the some probs.
    Sorry for my english!

Until this 'bug' is fixed you can try to change the release envelope to the longest possible time or play the pad in 'hold' and hold the button until the sound finishes...

I though that 1shot sample would play to the end without the need to change the envelope from the default settings, i first notice this when i change the tuning of a shorter sample and realized that in 1shot mode it didn't play to the end so i needed to change the envelope...

• edited July 2014

Edit.. I've got it triggering from Cubasis :) lovely

• So, this is what I've found on Channel 1, using the XKey keyboard. Hope these are the right numbers for everyone. I won't include the notes, as they change from program to program. The drum pads can be controlled from Animoog keys on Channel 10 very well, but they are different notes than stated above. Lemur wants to work, but I needed to use MidiBridge, and had multiple crashes from everywhere. I've also noticed huge spikes in iMPCs Ram on Channels 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 15, and 16. So I'll try those next.

1. 09 Erase Pads
    2. 0E Track Select Down
    3. 0F Track Select Up
    4. 27 Full Level
    5. 28 Sequencer Clear Pads
    6. 2B Note Repeat
    7. 30 Main Screen Return
    8. 32 Track 1 Mute Toggle
    9. 33 Track 1 Solo Toggle
    10. 35 Undo Menu
    11. 43 Record Toggle
    12. 50 Play Start/Stop Toggle
    13. 53 Play
    14. 60 Tap BPM
  • @Crabman said:

But What about Midi IN to use it as a Drumexpander in Cubasis (better than nothing if there's no reliable Sync)?

Yes, you can play iMPC Pro from Cubasis via MIDI (and obviously have iMPC Pro run through Cubasis audio system/mixer and its effects).

• @ChrisG You can use midiSequencer to start Auria. This is what I posted in June in another thread. "It appears that I can get Auria to start and stop with midiSequencer, as mS as the master. In Auria, Midi Inputs, choosing Receive MTC, Receive MMC, and Receive Clock, all three. Nothing else highlighted. In mS, Output, both Auria and mS are active and clock is on. Tempo change doesn't work, so that's a pain. Haha."

Auria uses MTC mainly. If you want to try to sync iMPC with Auria, this is probably the best bet so far.

• edited July 2014

Thanks @ArcaneScreams. Start/stop/any kind of sync - is strictly an IAA thing with iMPC Pro at the moment. Outside of IAA, there is no MIDI activity in regards to starting or stopping this one at all (that I know of). I use a similar method to sync up other apps that doesn't do clock out etc, using Little Midi Machine (free midi step sequencer)

• @ChrisG Ok, that's good to know. I'm actually enjoying all this testing, and seeing what everyone is discovering. Makes me wonder what the beta-testers were doing, though....

• edited July 2014

@ChrisG said:

@Crabman said:

Yes, you can play iMPC Pro from Cubasis via MIDI (and obviously have iMPC Pro run through Cubasis audio system/mixer and its effects).

Can you please explain how you are getting MIDI out from Cubasis to iMPC Pro?

I can record Midi notes from iMPC Pro into Cubasis, but there is no sound coming out of iMPC on playback. I'm routing from Cubasis to "iMini" channel 10 but that isn't doing it. I've also tried routing to all ports all channels.

I'm watching the note on/offs in a midi monitor and they are indeed the same notes that are triggered by iMPC Pro.

Overall I'm happy with this app, but it is a shame about the lack of IAA sync or Midi connectivity.

EDIT--- Just changed Cubasis routing to Virtual Midi Channel 10 and that seems to do it.

• edited July 2014

@ArcaneScreams said:

@ChrisG Ok, that's good to know. I'm actually enjoying all this testing, and seeing what everyone is discovering. Makes me wonder what the beta-testers were doing, though....

I believe Akai used chimpanzees this time (hence missing the fact that iMPC Pro doesn't work with their very own hardware controller for said app).

• Just curious, are you all sending bug reports to Retronyms? I wonder if it makes sense to send certain feature requests (e.g. Audiobus 2.0 support) directly to Akai. Seems like Akai would benefit from additional sales if this app supported certain features that Retronyms may or may not have recommended including. Thoughts?

• @ChrisG Haha, oh man, I think we may be the chimps.

• edited July 2014

@Buska said:

How did retronyms make a video using the element but didn't realize that velocity sensitivity was bugged? Seriously ??

Velocity was working in the video (at 0:45). Sometimes with software, you go to fix one thing and wind up breaking another. :)

• That would be funny wouldn't it? A conscious bean-counter decision:

"Look Dwayne, let's do away with those skanky beta-guys down in the basement and just jab the Audiobus boys with a few sticks and see what they spit back?"

"Oh man, brilliant.....that's why they pay you the big bucks Clyde..."

• @SuperNiCd said:

Just curious, are you all sending bug reports to Retronyms? I wonder if it makes sense to send certain feature requests (e.g. Audiobus 2.0 support) directly to Akai. Seems like Akai would benefit from additional sales if this app supported certain features that Retronyms may or may not have recommended including. Thoughts?

Don't bother...they mention for years they might add audiobus support on iMPC classic ,so I prefer spending some more money (sale ends) , when iMPC pro already has the features I want.

• The problem with the samples that i have was gone until i changed the bitrate from 24 bit 44khz to 16 bit 44khz .

• @ChrisG Yes, Midi Start/Stop/Rec works outside too...I try with my Quneo and are the same CC as iMPC, the only difference are Ch for pads: on iMPC ch6 and on PRO ch 10...