Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let's talk about sleep

124»

Comments

• Melatonin it’s awesome. Some people don’t like it because they get nightmares BUT that means itself working, you have livid dreams because your brain is finally resting.

• Here’s what I do.

I think of a high 3-digit number, say 932.

Then I subtract 7.

1. Again.

etc.

I usually fall asleep somewhere in the 600’s.

It works for me.

Also, melatonin.

• @rottencat said:
    Here’s what I do.

I think of a high 3-digit number, say 932.

Then I subtract 7.

1. Again.

etc.

I usually fall asleep somewhere in the 600’s.

It works for me.

Also, melatonin.

I’ll try it. Thanks.

• edited November 2023

First and most important question: is the place where you sleep quiet enough?

Anything above roughly 30 dB(A) or 40 dB(C), even if only a few short bursts a night, adversely affects your sleep quality.

You can get the NIOSH app to get a rough approximation of the noise levels:

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/niosh-sound-level-meter/id1096545820

• I don’t often struggle for sleep, but if I’m in bed and I’m not drifting off I sometimes try to work out my next new workflow setup on iOS down to the finer details….. including midi settings…… routing map …… testing the sound ….. automation…. arranging…….saving files…… mastering ……. Zzzzzzzzzz
    Also it has been clinically proven that Lavender helps you sleep. I use it anyway because I like the smell at night.

• I always had trouble sleeping and issues with insomnia, then I became a dad and now I struggle to stay awake after 10 pm. True Story.

• I kicked the sleeping pills recently, slowly, over a period of a few months. It’s still quite hard for me to get 8 hours of unbroken sleep. 6 is pretty easy, and I can sometimes nap again after waking. I do fall asleep very easily though, at least, and one thing I find helps a lot with that is listening to podcasts. In Our Time, from BBC Radio 4 usually knocks me out within minutes 😂

• @SevenSystems said:

Anything above roughly 30 dB(A) or 40 dB(C), even if only a few short bursts a night, adversely affects your sleep quality.

Definitely. My wife and I play rain sounds on Google Home while we sleep and she wants it loud as hell but I can’t sleep with the volume that high.

• @HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

Definitely. My wife and I play rain sounds on Google Home while we sleep and she wants it loud as hell but I can’t sleep with the volume that high.

Note that your wife is taking a good approach though -- establishing a certain base noise level to mask other abrupt noises is actually a good thing. The better thing though would be to get rid of the abrupt noises in the first place 🥴 (not always doable, I know)

• @SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

Note that your wife is taking a good approach though -- establishing a certain base noise level to mask other abrupt noises is actually a good thing. The better thing though would be to get rid of the abrupt noises in the first place 🥴 (not always doable, I know)

We live kinda out in the middle of nowhere so not a huge amount of noise besides the neighbors dogs.

We ended up settling on a middle ground. Not too loud, not too quiet, and we sleep all night :) except for when the cats jump on us lol

• @HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

We live kinda out in the middle of nowhere so not a huge amount of noise besides the neighbors dogs.

We ended up settling on a middle ground. Not too loud, not too quiet, and we sleep all night :) except for when the cats jump on us lol

Neighbours dogs = instant reduction of sleep quality to almost zero. I've moved multiple times because of dogs!

• @SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

Neighbours dogs = instant reduction of sleep quality to almost zero. I've moved multiple times because of dogs!

We just had these neighbors move in and they have 3 dogs they keep outside that bark constantly. They fight during the day, play music loudly. It’s such a PITA. They’re young and expecting so I’m trying to be understanding but I can only give so much leeway.

• @HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

We just had these neighbors move in and they have 3 dogs they keep outside that bark constantly. They fight during the day, play music loudly. It’s such a PITA. They’re young and expecting so I’m trying to be understanding but I can only give so much leeway.

Much better to crack down quickly, I'd say! Top tip: ask chatgpt to write you out some scripts for how a conversation with the neighbour about those noise issues could be handled skillfully. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised by how quality its suggestions will be. Better yet, role play it several times with the voice version in chatgpt+, where you first play the role of you and it plays the neighbour, then it gives you feedback on your performance, then you switch roles, again discuss how it went after, then try the original roleplay again.

Or, if your neighbour has a gun, maybe just move home 😂

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

@HotStrange said:

@SevenSystems said:

Much better to crack down quickly, I'd say! Top tip: ask chatgpt to write you out some scripts for how a conversation with the neighbour about those noise issues could be handled skillfully. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised by how quality its suggestions will be. Better yet, role play it several times with the voice version in chatgpt+, where you first play the role of you and it plays the neighbour, then it gives you feedback on your performance, then you switch roles, again discuss how it went after, then try the original roleplay again.

Or, if your neighbour has a gun, maybe just move home 😂

Lmao funny you mentioned that last sentence because I was gonna say, the guy seems very confrontational considering he has no issues yelling at his wife midday 😂 and seems very…redneck. So I’d be more surprised if he didnt have a gun.

That said, it’s not horrible right now and has only affected us once really. I’m willing to give it another 1-2 tries but yes eventually something will have to give.

• My secret is go to sleep when I'm tired, and live a lifestyle that affords naps. Wish I could get by on less and be productive. Was blessed with the ability to nearly always go back to sleep, which I unfortunately abuse when I'm down. I just read there's a term for it. Bed rotting? Been doing that my whole life. wow. I don't think it's a good thing, except maybe the sleep deprived would find it appealing. I find being highly productive on 4 hours of sleep appealing, and have at times in my life purposefully deprived myself of sleep as a means of mood control. It works, but drops the IQ by dozens of points. Pick your poison.

• edited November 2023

I think as people get older, we only need on average 6 hours of sleep. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel good with 6-7. I'm 55.

• @Antos3345 said:
    I think as people get older, we only need on average 6 hours of sleep. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel good with 6-7. I'm 55.

I do believe you’re right. 6.5-7.5 is the sweet spot for me. I’m only in my 30s though so I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be getting 😆

• @HotStrange said:

@Antos3345 said:

I do believe you’re right. 6.5-7.5 is the sweet spot for me. I’m only in my 30s though so I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be getting 😆

I think the simplest rule is, if you feel you're getting enough sleep, you probably are! For me personally, 6 hours a night does not feel enough at the moment, but there were times in my life, like when I was at uni, that 6 hours felt just right to me.

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Antos3345 said:

I think the simplest rule is, if you feel you're getting enough sleep, you probably are! For me personally, 6 hours a night does not feel enough at the moment, but there were times in my life, like when I was at uni, that 6 hours felt just right to me.

Yeah it kinda depends. Sometimes I sleep until my alarm but if my body naturally wakes up after 6ish hours and I feel rested, I’ll usually just go ahead and get up. If I go back to sleep after that I’ve found I wake up even sleepier.

• @Antos3345 said:

There’s definitely some truth in that, and apparently our need for sleep hours peaks in our late teens.

I suppose my need for sleep is driven by the amount of physical activity I do during the day. If it’s very little then 6 hours is plenty, but the more activity then the more need for sleep.

However, I use yoga nidra techniques to get to sleep, and never really have any problem getting to sleep. I start with focusing my senses on everything around me, and take my mind off all distractions. Then I slow down my breathing and move on to slowly removing any stress from every part of my body. If I’m still awake by then I’ll continue to focus on breathing and overall relaxation.

• I’ve completed a dry Jan and an odd side affect is that my sleep has massively improved.
    I’m now doing a dry Feb to. If it’s a choice between drink and sleep then I choose sleep.

• @cyberheater said:
    I’ve completed a dry Jan and an odd side affect is that my sleep has massively improved.
    I’m now doing a dry Feb to. If it’s a choice between drink and sleep then I choose sleep.

Absolutely, one of the main reasons I moderated my drinking (more than 20 years ago now) was because I sleep much better if I don't drink. It's not surprising, alcohol dehydrates you so you tend to wake up thirsty in the night after even a couple of drinks.

Also alcohol affects your sleep cycle in negative ways. It can interfere with REM sleep which in turn will make you feel poorly rested when you wake up.

• my Dad used to wake me up drunk at 2 in the morning as a kid. I never been able to sleep well since. Its the one thing i wish i could do the most... get a good nights sleep.