Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let's talk about sleep

Comments

• @ervin said:

@FPC said:
    Gavinski's YouTube tutorials help!

Harsh :)

Oops it was a bit! Sorry Gavin if you read this, your vids are the antithesis of most YouTube content.

• I’ve had great success with these..

• Cut caffeine + stimulants in general (yes, this includes green tea and even decaffeinated versions)
    • exercise helps tire out your body + clear out your mind
    • stay hydrated.. (drink enough water during the day that you’re peeing clear, not yellow)
    • listen to your body.. if you’re yawning in the middle of the day, take a catnap if possible.. don’t grab a cup of coffee to stay awake..

I have occasionally done these.. Honestly, quitting caffeine has done wonders so far..

• use an eye mask or even a t-shirt to block out ALL light
    • earplugs if needed
    • early nights (I know, nearly impossible)
  • @FPC said:

@AlexY said:

@FPC said:

He does have a soothing voice lol

Calming. Bless him I've learnt a lot though

Was that tetra learning?

• Yoga nidra. I have rarely suffered from insomnia since I started practicing it. It takes time to improve it, but once you do it works better than anything.

However, there is some pseudoscience and new age nonsense surrounding it, but at its core there are some solid principles that bring the body from a state of consciousness to a state of sleep. Just beware of anything wrapped in marketing.

• @FPC said:

@ervin said:

@FPC said:

Oops it was a bit! Sorry Gavin if you read this, your vids are the antithesis of most YouTube content.

Gavinski does have a very soothing voice - but by jingo all the information you could want is there.
    I used to do group therapy, and it was odd watching people painfully and mannerfully struggle desperately not to fall asleep after half an hour even in a moderately well ventilated room - despite the content being dynamic and relevant etc.

Anyway back to the subject. I was a trained therapist working for the National Health Service in the UK. A psychologist (one which I had a lot of respect for) told me this.
    If you can’t get off to sleep - get up and get dressed again and go to another room - in five minutes time - go through your entire bedroom routine again - brushing your teeth etc, getting undressed, do whatever you normally do, then go to bed… if you are not sleeping within 10 mins then get up and go through the whole thing again, and repeat. He told me that even for the people with the most difficulty getting to sleep would be asleep after a maximum of four cycles (and usually less). Every person I told this to had success with it (only those that actually tried it of course - which was about one out of ten).

• @supadom said:
    Has anyone mentioned sex before sleep? That helps!

Just get yourself a Davy Crockett hat, a pair of cargo shorts and a Casio Keyboard… they should be queuing up.. 😀

• @AudioGus said:

@Clueless said:

@AudioGus said:
    I am going to try winning the lottery and quitting my job.

That would help me a lot i guess. Having no financial pressure is a main thing to get rid of stress for sure.
    Of course the dream to get rich with music is gone for a long time.....no app will solve that ;)

It died for me too a long time ago when I realized that my favourite albums that influenced and inspired me barely made their creators any money.

I realized that back in the 80s when Eddie Money was a huge star with hit records, and I ran into his guitarist working behind the counter of a music store. As a kid I had assumed that being on an MTV video meant you were rich.

• I eat a delta 8 gummi early in the evening. Really helps with getting to sleep. I also go to bed at the same time every night, which seems to be important.

• edited January 2022

@FPC said:

LOL. Watching Gav's videos just make me want to go to the app store and buy things.

How about watching the cricket - that would put anyone to sleep.

• All of the previous comments had some good suggestions but I don’t think anyone mentioned that there are a number of herbal tea blends that can be helpful. (Most have names like Nighttime, Sleepytime, Bedtime, etc.) I’ll let one steep for about 15 min. Then have a full cup and go to bed. And you don’t feel any druggy hangover the next day.

I’d also reiterate that exercise like walking and some yoga stretches to work off the day’s anxieties help for me.

Sometimes I drift off while thinking about new midi routing ideas in AUM. Reading a tutorial will make me sleepy too.

• @robosardine said:

@supadom said:
    Has anyone mentioned sex before sleep? That helps!

Just get yourself a Davy Crockett hat, a pair of cargo shorts and a Casio Keyboard… they should be queuing up.. 😀

That was advice not a cry for help 🤣🙄😬

• @cyberheater said:
    Anyone else have issues trying to get to sleep and remaining in sleep.

I've not had a decent sleep in ages. Any tips that might help?

I have accepted it. I try to not dwell on it. Or it can mess with ones head. I get 2 90-120 minute sessions of sleep per 24 hour period.

• My Davy Crockett hat is too small these days but I do listen to the BBC to drift off…..zzzzzzz g’nite.

• I just got a medical marijuana card for sleep cos I don’t want to take any sleep medicine and edibles help me get to sleep really well. There are even edibles with melatonin that I’ve tried and it helped me get a great sleep although I’m a bit groggy in the morning with those

• @Jimprints said:
    My Davy Crockett hat is too small these days but I do listen to the BBC to drift off…..zzzzzzz g’nite.

I hope ‘Davy Crocket hat’ isn’t some euphemism that I don’t understand…

• I could never use THC to initially fall asleep but find if I wake up too early on the weekend that a drop gets me back to sleep nicely.

• I’ve used a visualization/counting/breathing routine with success. Age old stuff, but it works for me.

What I do is imagine a neon sign with a big “A” on it. Imagine it in fine detail. You take a slow, deep breathe in, and the deeper you suck in, the brighter it gets. The more you then breath out, the darker it gets. Do this three times. On the third exhale, get the neon as dark as possible, then the “A” reappears as a “B”. Three more slow breaths, then “C” and so on. I never make it to “Z”.

The key is to stick all three parts and push aside any other thoughts. Eventually your brain will start to hate you and just turn off.

• Cannabis // Indica

• @aaronpc said:
    I’ve used a visualization/counting/breathing routine with success. Age old stuff, but it works for me.

What I do is imagine a neon sign with a big “A” on it. Imagine it in fine detail. You take a slow, deep breathe in, and the deeper you suck in, the brighter it gets. The more you then breath out, the darker it gets. Do this three times. On the third exhale, get the neon as dark as possible, then the “A” reappears as a “B”. Three more slow breaths, then “C” and so on. I never make it to “Z”.

The key is to stick all three parts and push aside any other thoughts. Eventually your brain will start to hate you and just turn off.

That very similar to yoga nidra principles in some ways. We can ‘trick’ out bodies into sleep mode by slowly turning our daytime thinking to focusing on something else, while in a relaxed position.

• Melatonin 10mg

• Melatonin works for sure. Sometimes I feel a little groggy and stupid for a couple of hours in the morning though.

• Young Mike Oldfield was rumoured to take his synth to bed, just sayin

• @FPC said:

@ervin said:

@FPC said:

I liked the joke, actually. 👏🏻 It does have some truth to it, too. His calm voice combined with that accent and the slow flow of his walkthroughs are indeed the antithesis of stress.

• @AudioGus said:
    I could never use THC to initially fall asleep but find if I wake up too early on the weekend that a drop gets me back to sleep nicely.

The trick is to start early in the morning and smoke all day then eat one whole bag of potato chips and pass out on couch or recliner. works great I did that for years .sometimes you wake up in the middle of the night though wishing you just went to bed like normal LOL

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • +1 for meditation
    +1 for yoga, and yoga nidra
    +1 for sex
    +1 for the herbal teas - look into Valerian. It’s well known for having a soporific effect.
    Good luck!

• edited January 2022

I just want to mention Magnesium again. We are all deficient in it because it’s no longer present in our food as it was in the past…thanks industrialization of farming (but i digress).

325mg a night will do the body right.

I like this brand and it works well for my needs and others in my family who have sleep issues:

We’ve been getting a solid 7-8 hours a night after getting on the Magnesium drink an hour before bed.

• @MeatWalrus said:

@AudioGus said:
    I could never use THC to initially fall asleep but find if I wake up too early on the weekend that a drop gets me back to sleep nicely.

The trick is to start early in the morning and smoke all day then eat one whole bag of potato chips and pass out on couch or recliner. works great I did that for years .sometimes you wake up in the middle of the night though wishing you just went to bed like normal LOL

Hehe, oh yah, three drops of oil spaced out throughout the day gives an awesome sleep that night for me. Thankfuly I don’t get munchies with oils.

• edited January 2022

Also, when you notice you feel tired is apparently the time to go to bed. If you wait and go to sleep when you are not feeling that way or have become more alert you will have trouble getting to sleep.

• @cyberheater said:
    Thanks for your helpful comments everyone.

@BroCoast said:
    Try doing a 5 min body scan before you go to sleep and give yourself 30 min before sleep without screens.

What's that?

It's a type of meditation/relaxation technique where you focus on each part of your body. There is guided versions on youtube.

It's similar to what they teach soldiers so that they can sleep anywhere/anytime.