Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audanika Development / SoundPrism Retirement Roadmap

Comments

• _ki_ki
    edited December 2021

@tja said:
    So you switched away from CM2 because of size issues, which get better handled by multiple Tonality instances?

No, the main reason for switching to multiple AUv3 input options in AUM is the very annoying phase of creating matching sounds and volumes for all midi channels of such IAA midi control apps like Audanika, SoundPrism or CM2 and the necessary app switching during the midi recording/overdubbing phase.

Since I suspect that with one long sentence alone it is not clear what I mean, here a more detailed description on how i use IAA control surfaces and what in my optinion/workflow are the advantages of AUv3 control surfaces:

• I don’t use the internal sound generators of the IAA control surface apps, only their midi output
    • I generally use a fixed assignment of midi channels in the IAAs sending to AUM because I don't want to reconfigure the app every time. (Like for CM2 Bass:1, Chord1:2, Chord2:3, Add1:3, Add2:4, Melo1: 5, Melo2: 6,Strum:3, Arp: 4)
    • In AUM I have a saved session with a default assignment to simple sound generators (like the Rompler bs16i) which i usually start such an IAA midi input session with.
    • When I found a progression and melody in the IAA with this simple sound mapping I want to work on further, it is a matter of incorporating new sound generators, finding a good preset and leveling.

• The loading / setting of the Midi connection occurs in any case (also when using multiple AUv3 keys/pads/etc)
      • But to change a preset sound and see if it fits to the other sounds used, i need to switch back to the input IAA, play a bit and change back to AUM to test the next preset and back again to the IAA to play. Switching over and over again.
      • The same app switching hazzle when working on the volume staging for the multiple instruments. With CM2 i can play any combination of 6 sounds at once, there are many combinations to be leveled against each other
    • When sounds/volumes are ready, the recording and overdubbing of the midi into a piano roll like Atom, LK or Helium also requires a lot app switching. Press play in AUM (with preroll), then app switch to IAA, play along and back when finished or on play error to stop recording.

• The sounds and FX assigned often result in a change of melody or progression played, or the note length played, so recording first (using the simple base soundassignment) and doing the sound/volume/FX setup later doesn’t work as for me - i like this a influence as it better expresses my mood than the first progression/melody idea i came up with.
    • The drums / percussion are also generated/sequenced with AUv3 in AUM, their sounds and rhythm change a lot during song delopment - with IAA this requires app switching until something fitting is found.

When using several pad or key AUv3 inside AUM instead, the whole IAA app switching is no longer needed. I can change presets and play, i can change AUMs volume and panning and play, can add FX and change FX settings while playing and i can record/overdup without leaving AUM. Window positions of all AUv3 are saved in the session. If my available time runs out, i save the session and will return to an identical session on reload, no setup (midi wise, window position wise etc) at all needed, just continue working.

I would love to have additional midi input layouts (like in Audanika, CM2 or Navichord) as AUv3 because i come up with different ideas using them.

• tjatja
    edited December 2021

Wow, @_ki that's an explanation, thanks 😅🤗

Just out of curiosity, did you try AudioBus for any IAA Apps?

You can easily switch between them, even controlling this from a second device!
    Also, Apps like SoundPrism Pro do have IAA State saving in AudioBus.

And, as written above, you can reload the whole setting of all Apps, incl. everything in AUM with one button.

For example: http://preset.audiob.us/fQuBE7njHgXkFA5

This should start the following ensamble, with any and all configuration and connection details:

Fugue Machine here only added to have something playing....

But you can any other AB IAA App as additonal controllers, also pointing to different IAA or AU synths - and reload the whole shebang with one click.

• @gatzsche said:

@fprintf said:
    I am really happy to see this development roadmap and to see some of the features that I loved from SoundPrism also working their wake back into Audanika.

Personally I think AUV3 is the most important feature right now, especially since IAA is deprecated. The ability to work with Audiobus or AUM (or any other AU host) is paramount for modern workflows.

AUV3 is in the pipeline. Checkout the latest state on this article:
    https://audanika.medium.com/help-us-to-implement-auv3-support-for-audanika-ea325870fa6a

Awesomeness. Really excited to see this app develop.

• @db909 said:
    I think an Auv3 host could be really cool. To be able to compose/record sequences with multiple sounds and to do that all without leaving the Audanika interface would be a great experience as well.

Great idea. It's on the list now.

• I lost how many time I bought the “same” Soundprism app.

• edited December 2021

People who bought multiple SoundPrism versions should checkout our bundle and get Audanika for a very low price:

https://apps.apple.com/de/app-bundle/audanika-soundprism-complete-bundle/id1597379870?l=en

• The first thing I would like to have is the soundpr> @Paulinko said:

@cokomairena said:
    Advanced Suggestion: host auv3 midi effects...

I was going to ask for an arpeggiator, but with Auv3 hosting I could use whichever I wanted,

You might want to check out MidiFire which can host AU MIDI effects apps.

You can do it on AUM ot BM3 too

• @gatzsche said:
    People who bought multiple SoundPrism versions should checkout our bundle and get Audanika for a very low price:

https://apps.apple.com/de/app-bundle/audanika-soundprism-complete-bundle/id1597379870?l=en

woah! it was 30 cents for me, thank you!

• @gatzsche said:

Thanks for that, it was free for me. I’m looking forward to the progress on this app.

• edited December 2021

@tja said:

There is one fundamental thing about AUv3 vs IAA, which is that IAA is deprecated by Apple and at some point will stop working. So to be safely future-proofed, apps need to work as AUv3.

I don’t really understand why any new music app would not be AUv3.

• @benlefoe said:

@tja said:

There is one fundamental thing about AUv3 vs IAA, which is that IAA is deprecated by Apple and at some point will stop working. So to be safely future-proofed, apps need to work as AUv3.

I have nothing against AU.

But I prefer, when they also are IAA and AudioBus Aapps!

And "deprecated" does not mean much - for now.
    I may well be the case that things work for another 10 years.
    Maybe 😅

• @tja said:
    But I prefer, when they also are IAA and AudioBus Aapps!

And "deprecated" does not mean much - for now.
    I may well be the case that things work for another 10 years.
    Maybe 😅

I have nothing against IAAs! But they have already been deprecated for 2.5 years so I understand any developer who focusses on AUv3 as it’s the most up to date format, and also offers additional benefits in AUM etc.

I have bought some IAA-only apps because of what they offer, but I do expect that some of them will end up extinct.

• @mrufino1 said:

@gatzsche said:

Thanks for that, it was free for me. I’m looking forward to the progress on this app.

I bought all the previous versions In the last years (still wondering why there where so many) and Audanika is still 4,99€ for me, the bundle 6,99. There’s something I don’t get…

• @gatzsche said:

Check it out….

• @Marcotronic said:

@mrufino1 said:

@gatzsche said:

I bought all the previous versions In the last years (still wondering why there where so many) and Audanika is still 4,99€ for me, the bundle 6,99. There’s something I don’t get…

There are some app bundle rules. you only get a discount one time, and only what you paid for the app is taken off. So if you got them on sale, you only get a discount for that amount. Also if you already completed a SoundPrism bundle, you can not get the discount again. It sounds like you maybe purchased the SoundPrism bundle awhile back, before audanika, maybe?

• Thank you so much for the explanation. I'd feel better if it would be more transparent to users.

• @benlefoe said:

@tja said:

apps like audanika or controllers in general work great and even better in slide over mode than as auv3

• @audanika I love the roadmap for new features. I will miss the original SoundPrism Apps but am glad that the new app will evolve and implement previous and new features. I have a request if it is possible to have midi in into Audanika and show the visual light up of the midi note inputs. Thank you for keeping us updated.

• Big Ups for the Android support!

• edited December 2021

I’m really blown away by the sound prism series of apps. Was late to the game and picked up sound prism pro and electro about a month ago and am really impressed with their playability. I’m a pianist but playing these instruments is leading me down new creative pathways I would not have found without them.

The bundle upgrade was $2 for me which was an instabuy. Definitely will keep showing my support for this company. Going to have to post some music on this forum soon!!

Paying one time for an app and expecting it to stay current indefinitely is an unrealistic expectation. I would be happy to pay for Maintenance upgrades for this app every couple of years, and would be interesting if they made this available on Mac or PC too.

• @VerbaLee said:
    @audanika I love the roadmap for new features. I will miss the original SoundPrism Apps but am glad that the new app will evolve and implement previous and new features. I have a request if it is possible to have midi in into Audanika and show the visual light up of the midi note inputs. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Great Idea. It's on the list now.

• edited December 2021

@bpert said:
    I’m really blown away by the sound prism series of apps. Was late to the game and picked up sound prism pro and electro about a month ago and am really impressed with their playability. I’m a pianist but playing these instruments is leading me down new creative pathways I would not have found without them.

The bundle upgrade was $2 for me which was an instabuy. Definitely will keep showing my support for this company. Going to have to post some music on this forum soon!!

Paying one time for an app and expecting it to stay current indefinitely is an unrealistic expectation. I would be happy to pay for Maintenance upgrades for this app every couple of years, and would be interesting if they made this available on Mac or PC too.

Thank you so much for your motivational words and support. 💪😀👍

• @sclurbs said:
    Big Ups for the Android support!

Wow. Didn't know that Android users are in the Audiobus forum. 👍

• edited December 2021

@gatzsche said:

@VerbaLee said:
    @audanika I love the roadmap for new features. I will miss the original SoundPrism Apps but am glad that the new app will evolve and implement previous and new features. I have a request if it is possible to have midi in into Audanika and show the visual light up of the midi note inputs. Thank you for keeping us updated.

To all: In my opinion, Audanika needs four MIDI input ports:

1. A first one mapping MIDI events directly to the internal synth.
    2. A second one allowing you to trigger chords in the same way touches would do.
    3. A third one for analyzing and visualizing chords you are playing on a keyboard.
    4. A fourth one for transforming notes you are playing on a MIDI keyboard by the chord and scale chosen in Audanika.

What do you guys think?

• Good news: Sound extension is done so far. With the next update, we are delivering five basic sounds.

More will follow.

Now we are heading over to add Audiobus support ...

• edited December 2021

@gatzsche said:

@sclurbs said:
    Big Ups for the Android support!

Wow. Didn't know that Android users are in the Audiobus forum. 👍

Haha yeah I'm a hostage of Apple's exclusive music ecosystem. I actually kind of hate everything about my iPad except for all the amazing apps.

• @gatzsche said:

@gatzsche said:

@VerbaLee said:

2. A second one allowing you to trigger chords in the same way touches would do.
    3. A third one for analyzing and visualizing chords you are playing on a keyboard.
    4. A fourth one for transforming notes you are playing on a MIDI keyboard by the chord and scale chosen in Audanika.

What do you guys think?

Personally, just my opinion, midi in seems like a waste of time. It’s not as though we have a daw here with hundreds of sounds. This is an instrument that you play. The midi goes out. Why would you bother with a midi keyboard to transform notes from that into chords with Audanika when you can just like....play Audanika. I’d rather y’all spend time on the other stuff and then later on if people just really really want to get super intellectual and complicated with their setup involving Audanika, then you can fit it in. Again, just my opinion. Take from it what you will or leave it. Awesome news about the sound extension though!

• @gatzsche said:
    Good news: Sound extension is done so far. With the next update, we are delivering five basic sounds.

More will follow.

Now we are heading over to add Audiobus support ...

Great to now that more sounds are being added. As well as Audiobus. Nice work!

• @gatzsche said:

@gatzsche said:

@VerbaLee said:

What do you guys think?

I personally think these are all great ideas. If it is not too complicated to add them as new features. The more options the better I think while also allowing it to not be used for those that don’t want/need midi in. I think it would be great to see the visual feedback for example of a midi sequence that one made using Audanika being played back via midi in to Audanika to show what pattern you used for that particular sequence. Just my opinion. But thanks @gatzsche for keeping this app evolving. Great app btw as were the previous SoundPrism apps.

• edited December 2021

Here is an update regarding connectivity on Audanika:

• I worked some days to add Audiobus and Inter-App support
    • Unfortunately Audiobus / Inter-App audio is very unstable
      • I got sporadic crashes launching the audio session
      • Apps are not launched in the background

I'm probably going not to publish IAA as well Audiobus support for Audanika.

Currently, the following steps make sense for me:

• Concentrate on new features of Audanika
    • Provide Audanika's audio engine as AUV3 first -> Recording Audanika Audio is then possible in hosts
    • Later add also the Audanika user interface as AUV3

I added the updates to Audanika Development Roadmap