Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audanika Development / SoundPrism Retirement Roadmap

Update

We have a medium blog post, where we summarize the latest state about Audanika's goals, development roadmap & price strategy. Check it out.

https://audanika.medium.com/audanika-development-roadmap-c9e7e54102fd?source=friends_link&sk=5ed581eb253ebdc63eddd89a3eb8dc4b

SoundPrism Retires

This week we announced to remove the SoundPris series from the App Store on March 1st. Probably some of you will be sad about it. A little piece of music app history ends. But every goodby is a beginning.

The Bright Future

1. There will be no confusion anymore which app to buy (Standard, Pro, Link Edition, Electro)
  2. We can invest all of our power in the new app. (No maintenance of an old buggy codebase)
  3. New features will be added easily as extensions.
  4. Audanika is a live-time project. God willing, the project will be maintained for many years.
  5. A new way more flexible tone system under the hood, allowing to create new things.
  6. All important features of SoundPrism Pro will come back step by step to Audanika.
  7. Audanika is also available on Android. No one is excluded anymore.

The SoundPrism Migration

1. Bring sounds back to Audanika
  2. Bring the dock back (Key up, key down button, SoundPrism play modes)
  3. Bring the expression slider from SoundPrism Link Edition back.
  4. Pitch class shifter (Change tones assigned to rows by semitones)
  5. Configuration of MIDI channels

New Features

1. Add/Remove rows and columns
  2. QR Code feature for education
  3. Toggling major to minor and vice versa
  4. Song / Set management
  5. Customization of the dock
  6. AUV3
  7. ... 😀

How You Can Help

• Let us know which SoundPrism feature we should implement first.
  • Let us know which kind of extension you want to see in Audanika.
  • Give us a good rating on the AppStore. Write lovely comments.
  • Be patient with us. Every baby needs time to grow!

Comments

• @audanika said:

SoundPrism Retires

This week we announced to remove the SoundPris series from the App Store on March 1st. Probably some of you will be sad about it. A little piece of music app history ends. But every goodby is a beginning.

The Bright Future

1. There will be no confusion anymore which app to buy (Standard, Pro, Link Edition, Electro)
    2. We can invest all of our power in the new app. (No maintenance of an old buggy codebase)
    3. New features will be added easily as extensions.
    4. Audanika is a live-time project. God willing, the project will be maintained for many years.
    5. A new way more flexible tone system under the hood, allowing to create new things.
    6. All important features of SoundPrism Pro will come back step by step to Audanika.
    7. Audanika is also available on Android. No one is excluded anymore.

The SoundPrism Migration

1. Bring sounds back to Audanika
    2. Bring the dock back (Key up, key down button, SoundPrism play modes)
    3. Bring the expression slider from SoundPrism Link Edition back.
    4. Pitch class shifter (Change tones assigned to rows by semitones)
    5. Configuration of MIDI channels

New Features

1. Add/Remove rows and columns
    2. QR Code feature for education
    3. Toggling major to minor and vice versa
    4. Song / Set management
    5. Customization of the dock
    6. AUV3
    7. ... 😀

How You Can Help

• Let us know which SoundPrism feature we should implement first.
    • Let us know which kind of extension you want to see in Audanika.
    • Give us a good rating on the AppStore. Write lovely comments.
    • Be patient with us. Every baby needs time to grow!

Is that you Sebastian?..... :D

• Is there a way to change the colour?

• I bought this app so many times, it deja vu all over again.

• I am really happy to see this development roadmap and to see some of the features that I loved from SoundPrism also working their wake back into Audanika.

Personally I think AUV3 is the most important feature right now, especially since IAA is deprecated. The ability to work with Audiobus or AUM (or any other AU host) is paramount for modern workflows.

• Yea I have to agree with AUv3, since midi out was already implemented.

Great to see setting the scale as well, maybe a few additional scales would be cool, just the top 8 or so…

Like the idea of customizing the surface/adding or removing rows/columns as well.

• Holy shit all of this sounds great to me especially the new features, especially song/set management (whatever that entails) and customizing the interface!!!! Let’s GOOOOO! I would not be making music on iOS if I had not discovered Soundprism. I’m all in

• @db909 said:
    Holy shit all of this sounds great to me especially the new features, especially song/set management (whatever that entails) and customizing the interface!!!! Let’s GOOOOO! I would not be making music on iOS if I had not discovered Soundprism. I’m all in

My dream app would be a combination of Soundprism and IKaossilator. Do yourself a favor and really have a good think on that concept

• Is that you Sebastian?..... :D

It's me Gabriel. :)

• @Ailerom said:
    Is there a way to change the color?

You can already go to the menu and change the key. Like in SoundPrism every key has a unique color.

• @audiobussy said:
    I bought this app so many times, it deja vu all over again.

Yea. I'm aware of that. But in the long term, it is the right decision. Here are the reasons:

1. We have a heart for the upcoming generation and want also make Audanika available to young people who cannot effort iOS devices.

2. To support Android, we needed to start the development from the scratch.

3. We took that chance, to make some major design changes:

• A very clean default interface where no menu buttons can be hit accidentally.
    • An extension paradigm allows you to activate only the features you are needing.
    • The extension paradigm enables us also to implement all thinkable feature requests without overloading the interface.

We decided to give you that new development as early as possible.
    Also, check out our new bundle, offering Audanika to SoundPrism users for an outstanding price.

• @fprintf said:
    I am really happy to see this development roadmap and to see some of the features that I loved from SoundPrism also working their wake back into Audanika.

Personally I think AUV3 is the most important feature right now, especially since IAA is deprecated. The ability to work with Audiobus or AUM (or any other AU host) is paramount for modern workflows.

AUV3 is in the pipeline. Checkout the latest state on this article:
    https://audanika.medium.com/help-us-to-implement-auv3-support-for-audanika-ea325870fa6a

• @gatzsche said:

@Ailerom said:
    Is there a way to change the color?

You can already go to the menu and change the key. Like in SoundPrism every key has a unique color.

Gotcha. Any chance of the color being select-able and independent of the key? Or even user edit for each key?

• @gatzsche I'm a fan of how you're approaching this from the very beginning. So good to see more people interested in the project again. And I really love the focus you have on music education with Audanika...

and I can see this modular growth working for those who start with it's basic form and start needing more complex features :love:

• @fprintf said:
    I am really happy to see this development roadmap and to see some of the features that I loved from SoundPrism also working their wake back into Audanika.

I simply cannot understand this argument.
    At all.

It's an instrument!

It produces audio and / or MIDI.
    You are PLAYING it!

What for could you EVER make use of it as AU?

You will only ever need one instance - therefor, I see no use for it being AU at all.

Maybe I overlook some sort of usage?!?

• _ki_ki
    edited December 2021

@tja wrote: What for could you EVER make use of it as AU?
    You will only ever need one instance - therefor, I see no use for it being AU at all.

During my play sessions in AUM i never switch to background apps. I use several instances of midi input surfaces like Xequence keys, Tonaly pads etc to input my melodies and chords including expressions - they are open side by side, sometimes up to 4 input surfaces.

An Audanika AUv3 would fit perfectly as it would generate bass, chord and melody modi streams on an easier to play layout scheme. Multiple instances could be used to generate independand melody and bass/chord using the same layout. Or play different instruments.

Of course i don‘t have experience on how small the pads on the UI could be made to be still playable - but i have been using a 9x7 Tonaly pads (left hand) together with 2 Xequence keys (right hand) on my iPad Pro 10.5. The pads Y controlled volume and X controlled CC-1 of the chord, the keys send aftertouch info on Y movement.

• Looper dock extension> @tja said:

@fprintf said:

At all.

It's an instrument!

You are PLAYING it!

I’m with you on this. I understand AU is important in some people’s workflows, but to say that it is absolutely the most important feature ever and must be implemented immediately before anything else is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. But to each their own.

• . > @tja said:

@fprintf said:

At all.

It's an instrument!

You are PLAYING it!

A midi controller that I don’t have to switch screens or use a backup device for

• Honestly this retirement plan sounds a lot better than my own..

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Honestly this retirement plan sounds a lot better than my own..

😂

• @_ki and @Fingolfinzzz Thanks for the explanation.

I did think about life playing, but never came to the idea that multiple such instruments could be used in parallel.

I never really do live playing and just assumed that you would need such an instrument full-screen.

When I experiment with multiple Synths played by one instrument, I use Chordmaps 2:

https://apps.apple.com/app/chordmaps2/id1098330720?l=en

This can control a multitude of Synths in parallel.
    Did you ever try it?

I will do the opposite and experiment with multiple Audanica instances 😅

• _ki_ki
    edited December 2021

@tja I used to use ChordMaps2 quite a lot, playing bass, chords, melodies and extras of a multi setup in SampleTank or later playing several synth in AudioBus or AUM. CM2 offers several chord layouts. It playing surface is quite overwhelming at first, but easy to understand. I like that one can switch between 4 chord/acc midi channels to build stacks of sounds on the fly (if setup to send to different receiving instruments).
    Some of the buttons like the dyads on the righ side are quite tiny, but offer cool possibilities. Hitting the correct of the 4 inversions (x) with an exact volume (y) in layout 7 is quite tricky

I have setup several Tonality pads settings with chord options i liked in CM2 - so in a kind CM2 still influences in my current AUv3 jamming workflow :)

Playing the SoundPrims apps also was quite enjoyable, the chords were easy to setup and adapt (using the up/down buttons). With SP Link/Elektro i played the bass/chord with the left hand, modulation strip with the left thumb and the melody with the fingers of the right hand. The SP/SP Pro apps only play the bass on the left side and the chords with the right hand, not bass+chord vs melody like SP Link/Elektro (couldn‘t find a setting for that in SP Pro) - but the Pro offers midi out.

• I want Audanika as an AU because of state saving and being able to easily switch between apps in an AU host app. As Audanika gains more features, state saving will become increasingly more important as it will remember all of the settings in Audanika for each project setup. Too often the people who minimize the need for AU point to not needing multiple instances and fail to appreciate the utility of state saving for many people’s workflow. Nevertheless it is not hard to imagine a scenario where I’d have multiple instances of Audanika setup to play specific synths in a setup. State savings lets me know how all of the apps in a setup are connected together so I don’t need to write detailed notes to remind myself. Given a choice between similar apps, whether or not an app has AU support versus not will enter into my decision making because AU makes my life easier. I want to spend my time making music and not trying to remember how a setup was constructed and operated.

• @Paulinko said:
    I want Audanika as an AU because of state saving and being able to easily switch between apps in an AU host app. As Audanika gains more features, state saving will become increasingly more important as it will remember all of the settings in Audanika for each project setup. Too often the people who minimize the need for AU point to not needing multiple instances and fail to appreciate the utility of state saving for many people’s workflow. Nevertheless it is not hard to imagine a scenario where I’d have multiple instances of Audanika setup to play specific synths in a setup. State savings lets me know how all of the apps in a setup are connected together so I don’t need to write detailed notes to remind myself. Given a choice between similar apps, whether or not an app has AU support versus not will enter into my decision making because AU makes my life easier. I want to spend my time making music and not trying to remember how a setup was constructed and operated.

If Audanica would be AudioBus compatible IAA, AudioBus could probably save your day!
    IAA state saving :-)
    But yes, only one instance.

Also, an AudioBus project loads all compontens, including complete AUM presete.
    And, you can even send this whole setup as an URL.... so be distributed, archived, backuped.

• @_ki said:
    @tja I used to use ChordMaps2 quite a lot, playing bass, chords, melodies and extras of a multi setup in SampleTank or later playing several synth in AudioBus or AUM. CM2 offers several chord layouts. It playing surface is quite overwhelming at first, but easy to understand. I like that one can switch between 4 chord/acc midi channels to build stacks of sounds on the fly (if setup to send to different receiving instruments).
    Some of the buttons like the dyads on the righ side are quite tiny, but offer cool possibilities. Hitting the correct of the 4 inversions (x) with an exact volume (y) in layout 7 is quite tricky

I have setup several Tonality pads settings with chord options i liked in CM2 - so in a kind CM2 still influences in my current AUv3 jamming workflow :)

So you switched away from CM2 because of size issues, which get better handled by multiple Tonality instances?

What iPad did you use?

• Advanced Suggestion: host auv3 midi effects...

I was going to ask for an arpeggiator, but with Auv3 hosting I could use whichever I wanted,

• @cokomairena said:
    Advanced Suggestion: host auv3 midi effects...

I was going to ask for an arpeggiator, but with Auv3 hosting I could use whichever I wanted,

You might want to check out MidiFire which can host AU MIDI effects apps.

• I think an Auv3 host could be really cool. To be able to compose/record sequences with multiple sounds and to do that all without leaving the Audanika interface would be a great experience as well.

• Like an Audanika Groovebox, where you can do almost everything without leaving the playing surface. That would really be something