Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nembrini Live Rig Is Live

2»

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:
    It seems likely this will > @ExAsperis99 said:

The more I try to play with this, the more baffled I am. Such a weird decision all around. Is it for somebody who doesn't have AUM or Audiobus, I guess?

It is basically for somebody using all Nembrini stuff for their guitar rig and who is sending the output to a PA...it is supposed to be basically in place of an amp and a pedalboard. The same use case as when running TH-U standalone. It is intended (whether it achieves it or not) t minimize latency and CPU use when all you want is an amp/rack/pedals.

But I did just spend the evening playing through all the Nembrini amps I have. They're so good at amps, man. Boy, I would love them to try to do a Roland JC-120.

The Cali Reverb set to crystal clean is a pretty good substitute...though it doesn't have that awesome chorus. As an amp, a JC-120's main feature (imo) is that it gets really loud without distorting so is a great pedal host. It is pretty transparent. It is great on stage because of its volume and clarity, but, in my opinion, undistinguished in the studio. (It was my stage amp back when I used to gig and I periodically use it when I am in the mood to literally feel the noise).

I watched The Chameleons Vox play live and they used Roland amps. Very distinct and unique sound, loved it.

• @wim said:

Yep. I am done with buying any more amp sims, after 22 years of dissatisfaction. I have my handful of Nembrini amps and IR’s and am not even trying anything else from here on. The only downside is now I actually have to practice rather than farting around all night looking for tone.

Ha, exactly. Although I feel like I've picked up some other guy's guitar and getting inspired. Found a terrible LA thrash punk preset on a Marshall sim and immediately spent 40 minutes bashing out some 190 bpm Germs riff.

@espiegel123 said:

The Cali Reverb set to crystal clean is a pretty good substitute...though it doesn't have that awesome chorus. As an amp, a JC-120's main feature (imo) is that it gets really loud without distorting so is a great pedal host. It is pretty transparent. It is great on stage because of its volume and clarity, but, in my opinion, undistinguished in the studio. (It was my stage amp back when I used to gig and I periodically use it when I am in the mood to literally feel the noise).

I think you're right about it being undistinguished. The guitarists in my 90s band coveted them, but they were too expensive. Yet in the studio, we never used them. And that Cali Reverb Crystal Clean does sound very good. It's kind of amazing that the tone breaks up a bit with forceful playing.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@wim said:

Yep. I am done with buying any more amp sims, after 22 years of dissatisfaction. I have my handful of Nembrini amps and IR’s and am not even trying anything else from here on. The only downside is now I actually have to practice rather than farting around all night looking for tone.

Ha, exactly. Although I feel like I've picked up some other guy's guitar and getting inspired. Found a terrible LA thrash punk preset on a Marshall sim and immediately spent 40 minutes bashing out some 190 bpm Germs riff.

@espiegel123 said:

I think you're right about it being undistinguished. The guitarists in my 90s band coveted them, but they were too expensive. Yet in the studio, we never used them. And that Cali Reverb Crystal Clean does sound very good. It's kind of amazing that the tone breaks up a bit with forceful playing.

The reason people coveted them is that they are for their weight really really loud. And clean enough at loud volumes to use for keys. And you can play crystal clear funk rhythm loud. A JC-120 is pretty much hard to play at low volume ... mine was banished to the garage when my son was 2 because a tiny touch of the knob would make it too loud for comfort.

It is a great bed for effects on stage because of its clarity but that clarity isn't hard to achieve in the studio. Other musicians that I knew might use them onstage and use another amp for recording or go direct.

• @stim said:
    I send my bug reports to Nembrini and they have been responsive.

The reason this is useful for me is the ability to save FX chains/setups and switch between them with a foot pedal (though I have yet to test this). I don't see the problem with it being for Nembrini only - do the other guitar guitar suites allow loading of third party AU3s?

It's not even a matter of bugs with this app. It's poorly designed. Very user unfriendly. Compare its function to any number of competitors in this space. That's what they should've done. Apps are not released in a vacuum these days. They have competitors and they should be evaluating what they can do better than their competitors.

• @NeuM said:

@stim said:

The reason this is useful for me is the ability to save FX chains/setups and switch between them with a foot pedal (though I have yet to test this). I don't see the problem with it being for Nembrini only - do the other guitar guitar suites allow loading of third party AU3s?

It's not even a matter of bugs with this app. It's poorly designed. Very user unfriendly. Compare its function to any number of competitors in this space. That's what they should've done. Apps are not released in a vacuum these days. They have competitors and they should be evaluating what they can do better than their competitors.

I agree that it is not very well designed. It needs work, but it's not going to fix itself.
    I sent my bug reports and suggestions for improvement (posted earlier) to Nembrini. I hope others do the same!

FWIW they were unable to replicate my inability to reload saved presets. So it is unusable for me in the current state.

• @stim said:

@NeuM said:

@stim said:

I agree that it is not very well designed. It needs work, but it's not going to fix itself.
    I sent my bug reports and suggestions for improvement (posted earlier) to Nembrini. I hope others do the same!

FWIW they were unable to replicate my inability to reload saved presets. So it is unusable for me in the current state.

I did not mean to imply that offering a developer bug reports to improve their app was a bad thing. Feedback is great. It's just that the developer appears they did not evaluate their offering in comparison to other apps in the same category. If they did, I am shocked that they did not choose to improve their own product's function first.

• With MixBox, can you use just a single effect on a AUM node? And if you could, is that a reasonable use of it, or kinda' awkward for what it's intended to be?

Frankly, I'm not going to hold my breath on Eventide making an iH9 app. So I either will eventually get all Nembrini effects, or maybe the THD FX and use them as AUM single-effect nodes, or maybe check out MixBox.

Thanks,
    Joe

• Sidenote: Have to quibble on the JC-120 amp comment. I had one for a while, and that baby at a moderately loud volume with the chorus on is an otherworldly wonderful experience and unique in the guitar amp world. Took to non-dirt pedals well.

But I was not happy with it with any kind of OD/distortion pedals. And I also tried a lot of weird things to "warm" up the sound and make it more tube-like. Never worked, never meant to be that.