Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• apologies! I looked and didn’t see this. OK, let’s sink this one then.

• edited December 2021

I have been looking forward to this since i own all of their plugins except for the most recent LOFI vintage clipper.

Unfortunately this app has proven to be rather unusable for me since it introduces incredible delays and glitches in the user interface on my 2016 iPad Pro 9,7” running iOS13.6.
    Loading of plugins in the slots work fine but once you wish to open and show them it will take several seconds until they show up. And often they show up with a completely white and empty popup screen with nothing to see nor edit.

Anyone else experiencing these display glitches and delays as well?

• I won't even let me me put in and send my email, which I'm only trying so hard to do because I am hoping it gets rid of the stupid ad banner.

• I bought 4 Nembrini amps and all of their FX in anticipation of this.

First impressions are that it needs a lot of work!

• It allows me to create my own presets but then I cannot load them.

• Also I have experienced some audio dropouts, regardless of buffer settings (ipad pro M1).

• I would prefer if the amps and FX selection box was laid out in a grid rather than a long list you need to scroll through. It's rather tedious.

• Opening an FX slot interface should only take one tap. Right now it takes 2, either tap and press 'Show' or double tap, which doesn't always work for me.

• And yes, I really want to get rid of the ad banner. It's too much!

Also sent to Nembrini...

• Saving and loading presets works is working for me. I'm just saving the preset in a folder
    I created . Once saved I use "open" to reload the preset.

• @hacked_to_pieces said:
    Saving and loading presets works is working for me. I'm just saving the preset in a folder
    I created . Once saved I use "open" to reload the preset.

Yes, I also created a folder and can save presets into it. But when I try to re-open the preset, nothing happens when I (double) tap the preset icon.

• Write to the developers to report the bugs. They will likely fix them if they are told about them.

• I checked it out and I really can't say I was impressed. The price is fine, but the UI is poor, the plug-ins list doesn't differentiate between things I own and things they want to sell me, and it is an AU host that will only load AUs from a single vendor. Oh, and it's adware. I uninstalled it.

• @mjm1138 said:
    I checked it out and I really can't say I was impressed. The price is fine, but the UI is poor, the plug-ins list doesn't differentiate between things I own and things they want to sell me, and it is an AU host that will only load AUs from a single vendor. Oh, and it's adware. I uninstalled it.

Yeah, it's uncharacteristically clumsy.

• So stick with AUM for now?

• wimwim
    edited December 2021

@joegrant413 said:
    So stick with AUM for now?

It's free, so no harm in trying.
    I've no use for it myself, but they did it in response to lots of requests for such a thing, so must be good for something. I imagine they will iron out the kinks. Nembrini are good people.

• @wim said:

@joegrant413 said:

It's free, so no harm in trying.
    I've no use for it myself, but they did it in response to lots of requests for such a thing, so must be good for something. I imagine they will iron out the kinks. Nembrini are good people.

It fits in a useful niche for sure, but the single-vendor lock-in kind of kills the appeal for me. And for my part I'd rather pay for something polished, rather than getting something clunky for free. I will continue to buy and enjoy Nembrini's AUs. It did inspire me to set up some bass and guitar rig channel presets for AUM :smile:

• edited December 2021

Meh. I downloaded and tried it. Did not like the clunky interface. They need to do much, much better than this when there are all-in-one systems like MixBox CS out there that they are competing against. I kind of expected their app to scan for all the Nembrini apps I already own and serve them up to me instead of me having to do the work. That's just more inconvenience.

• @mjm1138 said:
    I checked it out and I really can't say I was impressed. The price is fine, but the UI is poor, the plug-ins list doesn't differentiate between things I own and things they want to sell me, and it is an AU host that will only load AUs from a single vendor. Oh, and it's adware. I uninstalled it.

Same. It's definitely not for me.

• The plug-ins list also offers an “NA IR Loader” which doesn’t exist. Is this going to be a new AUv3? It would be a very welcome addition,

• I can see it for someone just using an iPad for a live rig setup only, like as a substitute for a pedalboard and amp. It also is somewhat needed to bring them up to par with all-in-one apps like Amplitude, TH-U, etc., at least from comments I've read.

The times that I want to only have a single guitar track going with no other tracks, or only want to use Nembrini stuff in an FX are rare. AUM lets me save track setups for instant recall, allows me to see more than one FX on the screen, accommodates automation ...

But, I'm sure it's useful for some.

• @joegrant413 said:

Yes, AUM is definitely the way to go for now. Much more stable and also a more flexible host to combine AUv3 plugins and instruments of all brands.

I really wanted to like this app since i own all their iOS apps; but unfortunately the crippling bugs, annoying ads and very slow and clunky UI, makes this the very first Nembrini app that really let me down. All their other apps are phenomenal though.This seems like a very bad port of their desktop app and not really optimized for iOS. The idea of the app is great, but it still needs a ton of work to even make the basic functions work properly on slightly older iPad models.

• @NeuM said:
    Meh. I downloaded and tried it. Did not like the clunky interface. They need to do much, much better than this when there are all-in-one systems like MixBox CS out there that they are competing against. I kind of expected their app to scan for all the Nembrini apps I already own and serve them up to me instead of me having to do the work. That's just more inconvenience.

Mixbox isn’t the niche this is intended to fill. It is simply intended to be a convenient way to set up guitar rigs made of their gear for when you need something like a guitar stage set up. Even when they get the kinks out, it isn’t something everyone would use.

• @NeuM said:

Are you endorsed by MixboxCS? :)
    These two things do not really compare. MixBox is a wonderful suite of effects that are really useful and kind of unlike anything else on ios. But the amp sims range from pedestrian to trash, alas.

• @espiegel123 said:

@NeuM said:

Mixbox isn’t the niche this is intended to fill. It is simply intended to be a convenient way to set up guitar rigs made of their gear for when you need something like a guitar stage set up. Even when they get the kinks out, it isn’t something everyone would use.

I’m pretty sure I “get” who it’s designed for, it just does not do it well. It has an underdeveloped user interface, without question.

• edited December 2021

I'm pretty sure the intended market included me. But the above issues are too annoying. I appreciate it is free so I don't like to sound ungrateful. I'm just saying I was excited for the release but based on what it is I won't use it.

There may be something here I don't understand so I won't say much about it, so excuse me if this is ignorant of systemic issues, but not working as an au was a surprise and disappointment.

• @Ailerom said:
    There may be something here I don't understand so I won't say much about it, so excuse me if this is ignorant of systemic issues, but not working as an au was a surprise and disappointment.

AU’s can’t host other AU’s inside themselves, so it’s just that technically that isn’t possible.

• The more I try to play with this, the more baffled I am. Such a weird decision all around. Is it for somebody who doesn't have AUM or Audiobus, I guess?

But I did just spend the evening playing through all the Nembrini amps I have. They're so good at amps, man. Boy, I would love them to try to do a Roland JC-120.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The more I try to play with this, the more baffled I am. Such a weird decision all around. Is it for somebody who doesn't have AUM or Audiobus, I guess?

Or somebody who wants a single purpose amp/fx module with no other complications. Apparently there are because this was requested pretty often. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I did just spend the evening playing through all the Nembrini amps I have. They're so good at amps, man. Boy, I would love them to try to do a Roland JC-120.

Yep. I am done with buying any more amp sims, after 22 years of dissatisfaction. I have my handful of Nembrini amps and IR’s and am not even trying anything else from here on. The only downside is now I actually have to practice rather than farting around all night looking for tone.

• @wim said:

@Ailerom said:

AU’s can’t host other AU’s inside themselves, so it’s just that technically that isn’t possible.

Gotcha. I just expected it but has a suspicion that Nembrini would have it if possible. My bad.

• @Ailerom said:

@wim said:

@Ailerom said:

Gotcha. I just expected it but has a suspicion that Nembrini would have it if possible. My bad.

Well, the could do it if they directly integrated the code of their apps rather than just basically making it an AU wrapper. I don’t know that they did that, but I suspect so since that would be lots easier.

So, it wasn’t really accurate for me to say it’s not possible. It should be possible, though probably a lot of work. It wasn’t unreasonable for you to have expected it.

• It seems likely this will > @ExAsperis99 said:

The more I try to play with this, the more baffled I am. Such a weird decision all around. Is it for somebody who doesn't have AUM or Audiobus, I guess?

It is basically for somebody using all Nembrini stuff for their guitar rig and who is sending the output to a PA...it is supposed to be basically in place of an amp and a pedalboard. The same use case as when running TH-U standalone. It is intended (whether it achieves it or not) t minimize latency and CPU use when all you want is an amp/rack/pedals.

The Cali Reverb set to crystal clean is a pretty good substitute...though it doesn't have that awesome chorus. As an amp, a JC-120's main feature (imo) is that it gets really loud without distorting so is a great pedal host. It is pretty transparent. It is great on stage because of its volume and clarity, but, in my opinion, undistinguished in the studio. (It was my stage amp back when I used to gig and I periodically use it when I am in the mood to literally feel the noise).

• I send my bug reports to Nembrini and they have been responsive.

The reason this is useful for me is the ability to save FX chains/setups and switch between them with a foot pedal (though I have yet to test this). I don't see the problem with it being for Nembrini only - do the other guitar guitar suites allow loading of third party AU3s?