Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Am I first to notice the AUM update

12346»

Comments

• @Samu said:

@ambrosiajam said:
    Well this is some BS, my lousy iPad only has 1 mic 😂

Did you check under the settings?

Most iPad's have multiple microphones but when you create an Audio Track you can only select one Mic.
    (It's the Mic set in in the settings that will be used).

That's right. iOS can only use one mic at a time. (or two, for those devices that supports the Stereo mic pattern)

• apparently the ipad mini has 3 but I have no idea where the "top" and "bottom" mics are supposed to be... :D

• tpjtpj
    edited November 2021

Amazing update! @j_liljedahl I hope to see keyboard/midi mapping to AUM bookmarks someday. Just navigating this way using 1,2,3,4 for example would be really great. And/Or mapping cursor left/right or +- [ ] to prev/next bookmark.

And related also for AUM saved presets. Like a global next/prev preset for active plugin using keyboard or midi

anyways amazing update with lots of usefulnesss👍🏻🔥

• @dobbs said:
    apparently the ipad mini has 3 but I have no idea where the "top" and "bottom" mics are supposed to be... :D

Select one and tap around the device to find out :)

A quick search on Google might be helpful too…

• @j_liljedahl said:

@uncledave said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Also, I had the idea that Siri app suggestions might be the reason some IAA apps are having zombie issues on iOS 15. Maybe Siri launches those app invisibly in background when it suggests them, leaving a zombie behind. I haven't tested this theory much yet.

I've been monitoring jetsam logs since iOS 13 and have noticed that under 15.1 a lot of apps that I never use are occupying a few hundred pages of processor memory (each). This pops out because some of them are terminated by jetsam for vnode-limit, a reason I've never seen before. So it does appear that apps are being launched in the background, and not exiting. Perhaps they need some update to be compatible with iPadOS 15. Not sure if it's related to Siri though, because I relentlessly turn off everything except "Show app in search".

Interesting! So, something in iOS 15 is launching apps invisibly in background without user knowing, and this messes up IAA because of the old zombie problem.

Yes. Apparently, iOS is trying to start frequently-used apps in the background, so they can open quicker. nic of StreamByter posted this explanation of how it affects his apps. Seems like this is something we don't want or need for music apps, especially AUv3s. And I've noticed that AUM and AudioShare are in that group on my iPad.

• edited November 2021

@uncledave said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@uncledave said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Also, I had the idea that Siri app suggestions might be the reason some IAA apps are having zombie issues on iOS 15. Maybe Siri launches those app invisibly in background when it suggests them, leaving a zombie behind. I haven't tested this theory much yet.

I've been monitoring jetsam logs since iOS 13 and have noticed that under 15.1 a lot of apps that I never use are occupying a few hundred pages of processor memory (each). This pops out because some of them are terminated by jetsam for vnode-limit, a reason I've never seen before. So it does appear that apps are being launched in the background, and not exiting. Perhaps they need some update to be compatible with iPadOS 15. Not sure if it's related to Siri though, because I relentlessly turn off everything except "Show app in search".

Interesting! So, something in iOS 15 is launching apps invisibly in background without user knowing, and this messes up IAA because of the old zombie problem.

Yes. Apparently, iOS is trying to start frequently-used apps in the background, so they can open quicker. nic of StreamByter posted this explanation of how it affects his apps. Seems like this is something we don't want or need for music apps, especially AUv3s. And I've noticed that AUM and AudioShare are in that group on my iPad.

Thanks for info. Seems like it was a smart move to move all my MidiFire scenes to StreamByter AUV3 only. Staying on iPadOS 14 for now. Nice to know Nic works on this.

• @GeoTony said:
    As this thread has turned into a (very entertaining) vehicle for feature requests, could I ask for…

• Being able to copy and paste Nodes across channels. Strikes me this could save a lot of time.

This would be very sweet to have. Particularly useful for creating an insert fx on a track, and then copy/paste it to another track. Perhaps even drag´n´drop?

• @uncledave said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@uncledave said:

@j_liljedahl said:

OMGOMGOMG this probably explains why spotify kept launching songs mid-song while I was performing music in AUM the other day!
    I don’t even use iOS 15 tho?!
    I never had this issue before, it was driving me nuts! Here I am, playing some mindless techno-ish sound-design noise music, and fucking Tom Waits keeps popping in to holler ‘IM BIG IN JAPAN!’ 😂

The worst part was that I was doing a lot of gain staging and I had my AUM channels turned way down and my actual speakers turned way up - so every time spotify cut in it was deafening. Very unacceptable, they need to fix that issue immediately, it could legit destroy people’s speakers and hearing

• @ambrosiajam I believe this new problem is a feature of iOS 15. Your problem with Spotify must be something else.

• Perhaps it only happened after I updated spotify because it was very recent....spotify sends an update nearly every week tho. So who knows I guess

• @ambrosiajam said:
    OMGOMGOMG this probably explains why spotify kept launching songs mid-song while I was performing music in AUM the other day!
    I never had this issue before, it was driving me nuts! Here I am, playing some mindless techno-ish sound-design noise music, and fucking Tom Waits keeps popping in to holler ‘IM BIG IN JAPAN!’ 😂

The worst part was that I was doing a lot of gain staging and I had my AUM channels turned way down and my actual speakers turned way up - so every time spotify cut in it was deafening. Very unacceptable, they need to fix that issue immediately, it could legit destroy people’s speakers and hearing

Bluetooth speakers by any chance? I know if my car stereo is on, as soon as the phone pairs, whatever I was listening to previously starts playing, scaring the shit outta me. Force quitting all apps and clearing memory usually kills it, but the other day after updating to iOS 15, even a restart didn't help.

• @wim said:

@ambrosiajam said:

Bluetooth speakers by any chance? I know if my car stereo is on, as soon as the phone pairs, whatever I was listening to previously starts playing, scaring the shit outta me. Force quitting all apps and clearing memory usually kills it, but the other day after updating to iOS 15, even a restart didn't help.

Nope. Actually just happened again a minute ago when I pressed play and pause real quick in AudioShare 🤔

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Jeezs said:
    Keyboard shortcut doesn’t works for me.
    Am I alone in this case?

Maybe it's this iOS bug:

There's currently an iOS bug (as of iOS/iPadOS 15.1) that breaks keyboard shortcuts after having focussed a text field in an AUv3 plugin. For example after saving a preset inside the plugin user interface. To get it working again when this happens, close and re-open the plugin window.

It seems to be repaired with latest iOS Beta.

• @Jeezs said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Jeezs said:
    Keyboard shortcut doesn’t works for me.
    Am I alone in this case?

Maybe it's this iOS bug:

There's currently an iOS bug (as of iOS/iPadOS 15.1) that breaks keyboard shortcuts after having focussed a text field in an AUv3 plugin. For example after saving a preset inside the plugin user interface. To get it working again when this happens, close and re-open the plugin window.

It seems to be repaired with latest iOS Beta.

Great!

• Has TOGGLE mode disappeared in midi ctrl mapping at some point? I can’t see it in the usual place any more (right corner where you midi learn a mapping), although I do see it mentioned in the manual still.

Was trying to make a latching note control.

• @bleep said:
    Has TOGGLE mode disappeared in midi ctrl mapping at some point? I can’t see it in the usual place any more (right corner where you midi learn a mapping), although I do see it mentioned in the manual still.

I believe it's still there. But it only appears for ON/OFF variables, marked with two dots next to the name, like Bypass. Variables tagged with a slider do not offer toggle. That could be a change, hard to say.

• I see. Problem is that the Mozaic pads are not ON/OFF variables, so they can’t be set as toggles in AUM.

I’m sure it can be circumvented with some code, but when downloading other people’s script from patchstorage it would have been nice if any user could easily make these pads as latch controls, for instance using a note in an LK clip. I was looking at the LFOs script. I realize the pads can serve other purposes too, where on/off is not enough.

• @bleep said:
    I see. Problem is that the Mozaic pads are not ON/OFF variables, so they can’t be set as toggles in AUM.

I’m sure it can be circumvented with some code, but when downloading other people’s script from patchstorage it would have been nice if any user could easily make these pads as latch controls, for instance using a note in an LK clip. I was looking at the LFOs script. I realize the pads can serve other purposes too, where on/off is not enough.

Here's a short example of making a pad act like a toggle. MIDI messages are just an example. They could be anything.

@OnPadDown
      pad = LastPad 
      LatchPad pad,(not PadState pad)

if pad = 0
        if (PadState pad)
          // Send the ON state
          SendMIDINoteOn 0,36,127
        else
          // Send the OFF state
          SendMIDINoteOff 0,36,0
        endif
      endif
    @End

• @uncledave said:

@bleep said:
    Has TOGGLE mode disappeared in midi ctrl mapping at some point? I can’t see it in the usual place any more (right corner where you midi learn a mapping), although I do see it mentioned in the manual still.

I believe it's still there. But it only appears for ON/OFF variables, marked with two dots next to the name, like Bypass. Variables tagged with a slider do not offer toggle. That could be a change, hard to say.

No change regarding these, no.

• How do you make the best even better?

Just say Aummmmmmmmm…🙏🏼💕