Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Am I first to notice the AUM update

Comments

• @Carnbot I managed to run Patterning 2, Mid-East Drummer and Funk Drummer in Cubasis, so the IAA itself still works.

I didn‘t update the IOS or anything else, just AUM. I know for sure that the Lumbeat Drummers worked two days ago in AUM, as i worked on several sessions using one of the d. I noticed the problem when loading one of these recent sessions.

Meanwhile i also did a full power down reset or tried all the other IAA with own sequencer, but as i didn‘t test these with the previous AUM version i don‘t know if their problem is related.

@j_liljedahl wrote

I haven't changed anything that would cause such issues as far as I know. Are you sure Link Sync Start/Stop is enabled in all apps? Also, why use Link instead of host sync? Both IAA and AUv3 has direct access to the host sync and should follow that instead of going via Link.

WAIT - i have another idea where the problem might be coming from. Lets test that first !

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2021

@j_liljedahl
    Gotya !

I did some sync test for AudioModerns Playbeat 3 - and changed the buffersize.

The Lumbeat Drummers or Patterning 2 don‘t cope with a buffersize of 2048 !

Sorry for all the fuz. I‘m so happy now that things work again :)

It was your „I didn‘t change anything that could cause these issues“ that brought up th idea that maybe there is something different that had changed between working on these sessions with the Lumbeat Drummer apps.

Maybe we should set up a ‚pitfalls and what to check if things no longer work‘ wiki page with all these IOS quirks like network access, iClould enabling, Buffersize

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Thames1990 said:
    Plugin window maximized size interferes with the iPadOS home bar. Is there a way to disable the home bar per app or is it up to the developer to enable some kind off fullscreen mode?

Unfortunately no, on ipads without home button this indicator is always visible as far as I can tell. I probably need to avoid the lower part of the screen for maximized AUv3 windows :(

Is there a way to keep it the way it is for iPads with the home button?

• Wow. That is a big one. THANKS @j_liljedahl

• Keyboard shortcuts and UI changes are fantastic. Still no way to sync to external MIDI, correct?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Thames1990 said:
    Plugin window maximized size interferes with the iPadOS home bar. Is there a way to disable the home bar per app or is it up to the developer to enable some kind off fullscreen mode?

Unfortunately no, on ipads without home button this indicator is always visible as far as I can tell. I probably need to avoid the lower part of the screen for maximized AUv3 windows :(

According to this answer from Apple Developer Forums, at least telling the system to take the preference of hiding the home indicator is possible.

• @robosardine said:

@_ki said:
    The mix-bus naming will help in organizing session, i‘m going to use that a lot :)

I‘m slowly working through my list of IAAs… Blockwave also doesn‘t start/play anymore when loaded in AUM, many others behaved well. BeatMaker 3 doesn‘t load at all, but i never did that, so i don‘t know if loading in AUM worked before
    The Patterning 2/AUM combo also has problems on my iPad.

@GRiker Yes, already tried that order but it didn‘t help. Up to now it seems i‘m the only one experiencing the „IAAs wont start playing“ problem - which is good in one way (not too people affected, not many bug reports about broken things), but also bad (harder to debug and i can‘t use several of my session anymore)

BlocsWave hasn’t started in AUM for a long time now.

I haven't upgraded to the new AUM that was just released. But both BlocsWave and BeatMaker 3 load fine into AUM (not the new version) and sync with Ableton Link Start/Stop just fine. I launched BlocsWave and BeatMaker first before loading into AUM.

• What a gigantic update!

Many thanks, @j_liljedahl

• @_ki said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Gotya !

It was your „I didn‘t change anything that could cause these issues“ that brought up th idea that maybe there is something different that had changed between working on these sessions with the Lumbeat Drummer apps.

Maybe we should set up a ‚pitfalls and what to check if things no longer work‘ wiki page with all these IOS quirks like network access, iClould enabling, Buffersize

Will BeatMaker load into AUM for you if you launch it first before trying to load it? (It hasn't been able to be launched from another app for a while now -- but should load if you launch it first).

• @espiegel123 said:
    Will BeatMaker load into AUM for you if you launch it first before trying to load it? (It hasn't been able to be launched from another app for a while now -- but should load if you launch it first).

Just checked - both BlocsWave and BeatMaker 3 work in AUM if they were launched before AUM.

The main culprit of my problems was that AUM was configured to use a buffersize of 2048 - which some IAA apps don‘t support.

• @_ki said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Gotya !

@_ki said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Gotya !

Yep.. it’s really hard to do anything without Lumbeat’s stuff.. Auv3 would make him an iOS God..

• @_ki said:

@espiegel123 said:

Just checked - both BlocsWave and BeatMaker 3 work in AUM if they were launched before AUM.

The main culprit of my problems was that AUM was configured to use a buffersize of 2048 - which some IAA apps don‘t support.

That’s a relief.

• @Thames1990 said:

You can hide home bar with guided access: https://www.lifewire.com/remove-grey-bar-at-bottom-of-iphone-5180596

• @_ki said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Gotya !

Great! :) Did you contact their developers? All apps should handle up to 4096 frame buffer size, otherwise it's a bug IMHO.

Good idea. I also have a FAQ on kymatica.com/aum that probably need some updating.

@branis said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Thames1990 said:

Is there a way to keep it the way it is for iPads with the home button?

Yes I believe there is. Also it could perhaps be togglable, since some AUv3 don't have any UI controls down there.

@Thames1990 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Thames1990 said:

According to this answer from Apple Developer Forums, at least telling the system to take the preference of hiding the home indicator is possible.

An app can ask for the indicator to be "hidden" which only means it turns grey and requires and extra swipe to react. This I already do. Do you know of any app where it is actually fully hidden? I don't think that's possible.

@_ki said:

@espiegel123 said:

This is a common problem that seems to be more common on iOS 15. I think there might be two issues involved here:

1. some IAA apps has always needed launching them manually before loading them into an IAA host other than Audiobus. This is a bug in those IAA apps, caused by them starting their audio engine in the wrong part of the app launch sequence (when app becomes visible instead of when it launches in background).

2.The other issue is IAA "zombies", caused by apps being launched invisibly in background by host and then never foregrounded before they're un-loaded from the host. I have a work around here that IAA devs can implement, to automatically terminate the app when disconnected from host if it hasn't been foregrounded. See "Avoiding IAA zombie nodes" at http://devnotes.kymatica.com/iaa_quirks.html

Also, I had the idea that Siri app suggestions might be the reason some IAA apps are having zombie issues on iOS 15. Maybe Siri launches those app invisibly in background when it suggests them, leaving a zombie behind. I haven't tested this theory much yet.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@bygjohn said:
    Just had a weird one with Fundamental that seems to be repeatable.

Tried it because I had to fiddle with the window previously to see the full interface - now just maximising works, so that’s the plus.

The minus is that is no longer makes any sound unless you select another bank, at which point it starts to play the loaded preset, but sometimes it does the reverse of what the trigger button is supposed to do (play sound when activated, silent when not). It was working fine in the previous version of AUM, and hasn’t been updated, so it’s the AUM update that’s the difference.

AUM has no way to interfere with what a plugin does inside its own user interface, such as selecting banks or triggering buttons.

Thanks for the quick response. On further digging, it looks like a Fundamental problem. It was updated a couple of months ago, and I don’t think I’ve started a new project with it since then. The problem doesn’t manifest when loading existing projects which include it.

So apologies, and thanks for your work on AUM. It has made making music on my iPad a joy!

• @j_liljedahl
    On iPhone 11 iOS 15.1
    Clicked on manage in AudioShare at the bottom of the menu
    AudioShare opened, but when I click top left it doesn’t work——it should take me back to AUM
    Picture attached to show

• @Gdub said:
    @j_liljedahl
    On iPhone 11 iOS 15.1
    Clicked on manage in AudioShare at the bottom of the menu
    AudioShare opened, but when I click top left it doesn’t work——it should take me back to AUM
    Picture attached to show

That's an iOS thing and fully out of my control. Sometimes that thing in the top bar works, sometimes not, it seems.

• Big 👍🏻 for the “default” Session. Excellent.

• @j_liljedahl
    Ok
    No worries
    Thanks again for the update

• @_ki said:

ah yeah that makes sense why I couldn't get in working either as I'm using 2048 too :)

• Is update available in the UK yet? Can't see it....(?)

• You are the first!

"Nobody expects the AUM update."

• @j_liljedahl Great update! You’ve made our workflow smoother, easier + even more enjoyable.. 😁 Thank you! 🙏

• @j_liljedahl thank you for your hard work and patience with us.

• @Apex said:
    Big 👍🏻 for the “default” Session. Excellent.

Agreed but I can’t get it to work. I made a folder called Default and a file named default but the don’t pop up when i push the button.
    Any idears?

• edited November 2021

@Kashi said:
    Is update available in the UK yet? Can't see it....(?)

Not seeing it in LA, CA, 𝗨SA…

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Kashi said:

I got it 8 AM on East Coast. 🤔

• edited November 2021

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Kashi said:

I got it 8 AM on East Coast. 🤔

Guess I’m on Tim Apple’s s##tlist

Edit
    Oop, I forget that some updates are only visible on their AppStore page