Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioShare

Comments

• edited July 2023

@j_liljedahl

I wonder if you’d consider this feature request for AudioShare: I love MIDI playback in AudioShare but I would like to be able to choose an external instrument, like Ravenscroft, to play MIDI files in AudioShare.

Is this something that could be added? I’m not sure how many other people use the MIDI playback feature but I use it all the time. It’s so nice to be able to preview MIDI files in a files oriented app and not just in a DAW.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@LeftyChris said:
    Hi @j_liljedahl

If you are planning to beta test new AudioShare features (or a new version of AudioShare) through Test Flight, please let the forum know. I would certainly be interested.

Same here. :)

Will do! :)

• @LeftyChris said:
    @j_liljedahl

I wonder if you’d consider this feature request for AudioShare: I love MIDI playback in AudioShare but I would like to be able to choose an external instrument, like Ravenscroft, to play MIDI files in AudioShare.

Is this something that could be added? I’m not sure how many other people use the MIDI playback feature but I use it all the time. It’s so nice to be able to preview MIDI files in a files oriented app and not just in a DAW.

Yes, I'll consider that! Perhaps a Virtual MIDI port that could be selected as the MIDI source in another app?

• Here's the basic idea for AudioShare3. The top section is AudioShare's own folders (local and icloud) plus the Legacy shared app group library from AudioShare2. The bottom section is where you can bookmark locations from other apps and icloud drive etc. There's also a button to open a file in place, to be able to access files in all those File Providers that don't allow bookmarking their folders (which is technically possible, as seen in for example ShellFish!)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@LeftyChris said:
    @j_liljedahl

Yes, I'll consider that! Perhaps a Virtual MIDI port that could be selected as the MIDI source in another app?

That sounds great! Thanks for considering it!

• edited July 2023

@j_liljedahl said:

Here's the basic idea for AudioShare3. The top section is AudioShare's own folders (local and icloud) plus the Legacy shared app group library from AudioShare2. The bottom section is where you can bookmark locations from other apps and icloud drive etc. There's also a button to open a file in place, to be able to access files in all those File Providers that don't allow bookmarking their folders (which is technically possible, as seen in for example ShellFish!)

That sounds really great! Having iCloud integration in AudioShare is going to be fantastic.

I’m curious - will you be removing Dropbox integration from AudioShare 3? Perhaps Dropbox will go into the bookmark section or be accessible through the Files app inside AudioShare 3?

I think you mentioned before that SoundCloud and Dropbox integration no longer work in AudioShare, but Dropbox actually does still work for me. Other older apps like Auria have completely broken Dropbox integration, but AudioShare’s seems fine - perhaps you fixed it recently?

Mainly I ask because I actually still use it. I’m looking forward to having full iCloud integration but having Dropbox is great too.

Anyway, I love the new AudioShare 3 concept and setup!

• I just tried Audioshare in AUM which never occurred to me. I’d love a robust MIDI file player that works inside AUM. I hope the virtual MIDI port can be routed to AUM Destination and it responds to the AUM transport controls.

I usually use the Musk MIDI Player but it’s pretty ugly. BS-16i can do in a pinch and KQ Sampei is an option but I’d love a clean AudioShare design for this use case. PianoTeq8 standalone plays MIDI’s but the AUv3 does not so I hoping for a nice solution. I’d TIP for this feature if you have added that feature too. I own all your apps already.

• edited July 2023

@j_liljedahl

I forgot to ask, will AudioShare 3 be an entirely new app? I assume it will be. I’d be happy to pay whatever price you set for it.

I got AudioShare back in late 2012, so I’ve gotten nearly eleven years of constant use for, what was it, $4? The best $4 I ever spent.

• +1 for it to be a new app to earn you more money, @j_liljedahl ! No one can say they haven't had way more than their money's worth out of the original Audioshare.

• @LeftyChris said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Here's the basic idea for AudioShare3. The top section is AudioShare's own folders (local and icloud) plus the Legacy shared app group library from AudioShare2. The bottom section is where you can bookmark locations from other apps and icloud drive etc. There's also a button to open a file in place, to be able to access files in all those File Providers that don't allow bookmarking their folders (which is technically possible, as seen in for example ShellFish!)

That sounds really great! Having iCloud integration in AudioShare is going to be fantastic.

I’m curious - will you be removing Dropbox integration from AudioShare 3? Perhaps Dropbox will go into the bookmark section or be accessible through the Files app inside AudioShare 3?

I think you mentioned before that SoundCloud and Dropbox integration no longer work in AudioShare, but Dropbox actually does still work for me. Other older apps like Auria have completely broken Dropbox integration, but AudioShare’s seems fine - perhaps you fixed it recently?

Mainly I ask because I actually still use it. I’m looking forward to having full iCloud integration but having Dropbox is great too.

From what I've heard it seems some parts of Dropbox does not work for all users, I think it depends on some new thing in dropbox they added (like teams/workspaces/something like that).

My plan is to ditch the dropbox integration, and minimize all dependency on 3rd party SDKs. You will still be able to open dropbox files via the Document Picker, and if Dropbox updates their File Provider Plugin to allow picking folders, you would be able to bookmark any dropbox folder to the Locations list as well.

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    +1 for it to be a new app to earn you more money, @j_liljedahl ! No one can say they haven't had way more than their money's worth out of the original Audioshare.

Yes, it will be a new app since it's rewritten from scratch, and also because it will work a bit differently and have a different set of features, so I don't want to upset old users who would like to cling on to AudioShare2 for a bit longer :) (You'll be able to have both installed at the same time)

• @j_liljedahl said:

Sounds great, but I would much rather have a timeline in AUM. I would gladly repurchase AUM2 with a timeline. Audioshare 3? Maybe; dunno just yet.

• Audioshare is MVP.
    When you upgrade perfection, please take my $$$!
    It really is invaluable.

• Just saying.. AudioShare supports Logic very well..

Thanks.. looking forward to ver3.

• edited July 2023

@j_liljedahl said:

@LeftyChris said:

@j_liljedahl said:

From what I've heard it seems some parts of Dropbox does not work for all users, I think it depends on some new thing in dropbox they added (like teams/workspaces/something like that).

My plan is to ditch the dropbox integration, and minimize all dependency on 3rd party SDKs. You will still be able to open dropbox files via the Document Picker, and if Dropbox updates their File Provider Plugin to allow picking folders, you would be able to bookmark any dropbox folder to the Locations list as well.

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    +1 for it to be a new app to earn you more money, @j_liljedahl ! No one can say they haven't had way more than their money's worth out of the original Audioshare.

Yes, it will be a new app since it's rewritten from scratch, and also because it will work a bit differently and have a different set of features, so I don't want to upset old users who would like to cling on to AudioShare2 for a bit longer :) (You'll be able to have both installed at the same time)

That all sounds great. I’ll just use the iCloud, then - it’s what I wanted anyway. And that’s helpful that they’ll be two separate apps, since I may briefly continue to use AudioShare 2 while transitioning over to 3.

Any estimate on when it will be finished or in beta?

• Is there going to be a transfer facility or the ability to read the existing Audioshare library, @j_liljedahl ? I assume we won't need to re-add all our files?

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Is there going to be a transfer facility or the ability to read the existing Audioshare library, @j_liljedahl ? I assume we won't need to re-add all our files?

Yes AudioShare3 will have seamless access to the old AudioShare2 library (excluding its "iTunes File Sharing" folder).

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Is there going to be a transfer facility or the ability to read the existing Audioshare library, @j_liljedahl ? I assume we won't need to re-add all our files?

Yes AudioShare3 will have seamless access to the old AudioShare2 library (excluding its "iTunes File Sharing" folder).

Hooray!

• edited July 2023

@j_liljedahl Im having a problem: since lastest update the screen orientation is not changing anymore in my iphone (6s), its really a problem for me since I`m using attached lightning microphones and I need to use the iphone upside down for recording....
    Anyone can confirm the bug??

• confirmed - see other thread for details.

• edited July 2023

Feature request for @j_liljedahl : I use AudioShare as my go-to mixdown recorder direct from AUM, and for this I always want to do the same thing: create an IAA link from a single final output mix bus in AUM, and create a corresponding record port in AudioShare. Every time I do it, I have to scroll through a very, very long list to get to Kymatica, then pick the port, before bopping back.

Might there be a way to set up a ‘favourites’ or, even better, a one-click ‘templates’ in AudioShare (so I can also set monitor status and my preferred -12 db record level, once and forever) , so I can pick it direct, without having to hunt through the list of all available apps first? First world problem, I know, but it would make my workflow just a little slicker…

Just to say that of course, alongside AUM, AudioShare is my most indispensable app, I love that it automatically preserves the original when I use its trimming tools, indispensable for me to experiment with options as I make loops for re importing to AUM, or to carve something useful out of long noodling jams. I’d love for it to incorporate all the very slick tools of Wavebox too, of course, (particularly the way that app seamlessly and automatically closes the wound when you excise something from the middle of a jam) but for that I guess there is… Wavebox! :)

I am more than happy to rebuy a new improved version for AudioShare, for all the pleasure this app has given me over the past few years. And, hopefully, I’ll get to spring for editable faders and buttons automation in AUM in the not too distant future, too… (sorry, couldn’t resist. ;) )

• @Svetlovska said:
    Feature request for @j_liljedahl : I use AudioShare as my go-to mixdown recorder direct from AUM, and for this I always want to do the same thing: create an IAA link from a single final output mix bus in AUM, and create a corresponding record port in AudioShare. Every time I do it, I have to scroll through a very, very long list to get to Kymatica, then pick the port, before bopping back.

Might there be a way to set up a ‘favourites’ or, even better, a one-click ‘templates’ in AudioShare (so I can also set monitor status and my preferred -12 db record level, once and forever) , so I can pick it direct, without having to hunt through the list of all available apps first? First world problem, I know, but it would make my workflow just a little slicker…

Just to say that of course, alongside AUM, AudioShare is my most indispensable app, I love that it automatically preserves the original when I use its trimming tools, indispensable for me to experiment with options as I make loops for re importing to AUM, or to carve something useful out of long noodling jams. I’d love for it to incorporate all the very slick tools of Wavebox too, of course, (particularly the way that app seamlessly and automatically closes the wound when you excise something from the middle of a jam) but for that I guess there is… Wavebox! :)

I am more than happy to rebuy a new improved version for AudioShare, for all the pleasure this app has given me over the past few years. And, hopefully, I’ll get to spring for editable faders and buttons automation in AUM in the not too distant future, too… (sorry, couldn’t resist. ;) )

Out of curiosity, why not just record the output of your master bus directly in AUM—the recording is saved in AudioShare without needing to leave AUM?

• @espiegel123 : reverb trails, basically. By the time I am ready to mix down, my stuff is mostly loops running through live FX. If I want a natural decay at the end, or to capture post-transport audio artefacts which are sometimes worth getting, hitting stop in AUM, or fading down in AUM won’t give me that. Mixing down into AudioShare will, as I can let the stop play out as long as it needs to.

• @espiegel123 asked what I was pondering about. I’m not an Audioshare user so not 100% what it would do for me ?
    If I understand you correctly @Svetlovska I think (think being the operative word) I get the same result in AUM by just bypassing all of the Sources which is quite easy to automate. All of the effects etc keep running and produce the ‘post-transport artefacts’ which I agree are sometimes some of the most interesting sounds.

• Yep, I can see that would work, but seems more faff to me setting up the automation than a single stereo channel in AudiShare, especially since I am often using that to run fx manipulations already.

• edited August 2023

Hi @j_liljedahl

I wonder if you’d consider another feature request for AudioShare: I would love a simple MIDI recorder inside AudioShare. Something like Ryouta Kira’s MIDI Recorder with E.Piano:

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1448577506

Basically I would like to be able to make quick MIDI sketches in AudioShare in the same way that I make quick audio recordings in it.

I have all my MIDI files in AudioShare already so it seems like the natural place to record new MIDI ideas. Especially now that AudioShare will have iCloud integration, it would be very useful.

• Last night a beat popped in my head, so i open audioshare to mouth it out. Then im playing it back on loop, get ideas, rerecord new idea. Loop that and then Words come to mind, so that Note option is super useful, but it would be way easier if i could loop my audio file AND BE ABLE TO write the lyrics at the same time. Seems i could only have one or the other "open" at a time. Sure, simple enough to just open up whatever text editor, but would be cool to just do it there. Unless i just missed something and is already doable.

• @LeftyChris said:
    Hi @j_liljedahl

I wonder if you’d consider another feature request for AudioShare: I would love a simple MIDI recorder inside AudioShare. Something like Ryouta Kira’s MIDI Recorder with E.Piano:

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1448577506

Basically I would like to be able to make quick MIDI sketches in AudioShare in the same way that I make quick audio recordings in it.

I have all my MIDI files in AudioShare already so it seems like the natural place to record new MIDI ideas. Especially now that AudioShare will have iCloud integration, it would be very useful.

I'll consider that!

• @RanDoM_rRay said:
    Last night a beat popped in my head, so i open audioshare to mouth it out. Then im playing it back on loop, get ideas, rerecord new idea. Loop that and then Words come to mind, so that Note option is super useful, but it would be way easier if i could loop my audio file AND BE ABLE TO write the lyrics at the same time. Seems i could only have one or the other "open" at a time. Sure, simple enough to just open up whatever text editor, but would be cool to just do it there. Unless i just missed something and is already doable.

I see. You can do that in AUM already (access its Session Notes while a FilePlayer is looping a file). You could also use iOS Notes app while looping a file in AudioShare, but I understand that it wouldn't be as easy to associate the notes with the loop.

• Wha? Didnt know AUM has notes too, just not paying attention :smile: