Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ThumbJam v2.4 is now Live!

13»

Comments

• @sonosaurus said:

A tip for using ThumbJam as a controller to record into a MIDI track in your DAW (e.g. Cubasis) while it is inserted into an IAA midi instrument track:

A somewhat annoying fact is that IAA midi only goes from the host to the node app, and not the other way. Luckily you can use the normal CoreMidi to send midi from an app back into your host. So, in ThumbJam's MIDI Control page, enable Note Output for the destination app (e.g. Cubasis). The only complication is that if you have TJ inserted as an IAA instrument midi track, Cubasis will actually echo the midi in it gets from ThumbJam via virtual midi back into ThumbJam via the IAA midi, causing the notes to be doubled. I had meant to add an option that will silence the instrument when played from the touch screen (but not for the IAA output) but that slipped by on the update.

The workaround for now while you are recording the midi is to go to the MIDI Control page in TJ, and set the "In Channel Start" to 2, while making sure the "Out Channel Start" is set to 1. That way TJ outputs midi on channel 1 (to be recorded in Cubasis), but when it echoes it back into TJ, it won't play again because TJ is listening on 2. Obviously, if you are using more simultaneous instrument slots in TJ, make the first number higher.

Then when you are playing back (instead of recording), go back and change the In Channel Start back to 1 (or omni). You'll notice because you won't hear anything on playback in the DAW, until you switch it back.

I would like to control 8 voices routed separately from Thumbjam through Audiobus 2 via Cubasis midi...........although it doesn't seem possible as I cannot get Thumbjam to listen to more than one midi input channel at a time?

Am I missing something or is the best feature in thumbjam (multi routing of audio) pointless?

Please help as this would make my year.......if its possible that is :)

• Ahh cool got it working once I restarted Cubasis It just works......

• Now onto state saving.

When I reload a saved state it only seems to remember what's in the first Instrument slot.

All other slots are forgotten, is there a way around this?

• I think you need to save it with a split screen in order for the slots to be saved. Sonosaurus tweeted something like that, not sure if I undestood it correctly.

My state save worked almost perfectly, 4 instruments in the slots, one of them with custom delay settings and set to continuum mode, I had them on a 4 split screen. One of the instruments was not on the 4 split screen when loaded - not sure what happened there, maybe I did something, but they all were loaded in the slots with my custom settings.

• Thanks firejan it works now :)

Much appreciated.

Loving this state saving thing especially with Cubasis..

• no problem

• @mrufino1

IK can just have that rebranding idea... They get so much grief/jokes/hate sometimes... But you know what? Their products have paid for themselves and some of my bills. I get mad at multiple music companies myself on occasion and only IK immediately responds in a helpful kind fashion and goes the extra mile. (And then I feel like a jackass). As soon as I get my iRIngs I will be mixing them, thumbjam, arpeggionome with the MicroBrute. Thumbjam is the schnizzel.

• Maybe I am missing something, but is there a way to easily control the volumes of split screen instruments setup, like a mixing panel? If not, wouldn't that be a handy feature?

• edited May 2014

@bsantoro said:

Maybe I am missing something, but is there a way to easily control the volumes of split screen instruments setup, like a mixing panel? If not, wouldn't that be a handy feature?

Was wondering that last night, I ended up using the apps in the Audiobus fx slots to do this.

Cubasis could do with live monitoring like Auria has so you can use the Cubasis mixer for this task but I'm sure it's on their feature request list.

• "Fixed continuum glide mode in landscape orientation" Hazaaahhh!! The whole time I though I was doing something wrong. Great news!

• edited May 2014

@ShawnLeonhardt said:

@mrufino1

IK can just have that rebranding idea... They get so much grief/jokes/hate sometimes... But you know what? Their products have paid for themselves and some of my bills. I get mad at multiple music companies myself on occasion and only IK immediately responds in a helpful kind fashion and goes the extra mile. (And then I feel like a jackass). As soon as I get my iRIngs I will be mixing them, thumbjam, arpeggionome with the MicroBrute. Thumbjam is the schnizzel.

Ha! I was kidding around. I have the irig keys and use it on every gig , and I do like their instruments a lot. Their marketing lines just crack me up sometimes. Most marketing cracks me up though.

• edited May 2014

Ik is a rather nice company (South Florida). A lot of their stuff is made in Italy, apparently, (the CEO is of Italian descent, or something like that). They are innovative, and although there is somewhat of a commercial tinge to their spiel, there stuff is pretty good. I mean, look at Line 6; rather strange. After all, it's the music industry LOL

• @DaveMagoo said:

@bsantoro said:

Maybe I am missing something, but is there a way to easily control the volumes of split screen instruments setup, like a mixing panel? If not, wouldn't that be a handy feature?

Was wondering that last night, I ended up using the apps in the Audiobus fx slots to do this.

Cubasis could do with live monitoring like Auria has so you can use the Cubasis mixer for this task but I'm sure it's on their feature request list.

Ran into this tonight. Is there a way to control the volumes of each slot? I thought about saving new edited presets but that felt like overkill. I wasn't using an external midi source tonight but maybe this can be done via midi cc7?

• Yes, you can use CC7 to control the volumes of each slot. Just be sure to turn off omni input.

You can also adjust volume by going into Edit->Controls, setting volume to Fixed, and adjusting the slider. Whichever slot was selected in the play area will be affected. Select another split to adjust it in the same way.

• Ah, makes total sense. Thanks, Jesse. I fiddled with that but I'm not sure I was getting the tap the right split thing. A worthy addition to the manual perhaps.

Would be cool to have a couple of shortcuts right there in the split dropdown. Volume, natch. And a save button. The 'save a preset to save all the splits' was a revelation to me when I went to the manual to see how to adjust the volumes. I have been setting them up from scratch each time.

• @boone51 Your brain is missing a rodent...

• You're right, @PaulB. Also has an entrance and an exit, and that's not accurate either.

• I have searched online and have failed to find any mention of a big issue introduced with the current version of Thumbjam (2.4.1) on an iPad air, If the microphone input or the the input to midi icon are selected I get no input sound, not only that but the app slows to a crawl and needs a reboot.
    however Thumbjam (2.4.1) continues to have full function on my iPhone 4, The only other information I can provide that might be related is that Altispace (v1.5) also introduced a similar issue, whereby the microphone is not available on the iPad air but is available on the iPhone.
    I am guessing this is an issue with my settings but I have no idea where to look for a fix. I have performed a couple of thumbjam reinstalls with no improvement,
    Any ideas of what may be the cause of this issue IOS 8.0.2, the iPad Air or thumbjam / settings ?

• Yep, this was just reported via email (by you probably), and it is indeed a bug when running on iOS 8. I doubt it is a settings issue, just something gone awry. I'm in bug fixing mode anyway, I have several other fixes in place for an update soon.

• Thank you for that news, I do realise this is really a "first world" problem for me as I only noodle with my guitar through your wonderful app, but when I realised I had spent hours trying fix it myself with no improvement, I decided to ask for help.
    Please note It was definitely not my report that you received by email as I did not contact anyone other than this post, just a happy coincidence for me because now I know the full situation.