Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Filtatron - live audio or reimplementation?

I picked up Filtatron in the recent giveaway, thanks Moog! Like all of their products, it is truly great.

I think you can't run live audio from the same machine through Filtatron (unless you have an audio interface supporting loopback, or you do cable loopback). It can be used with Audiobus as an input, but not as an output.

Can it easily be reimplemented in AUM using a filter, a delay, and something else? I don't fully understand the envelope follower (ENV), is that the tricky part?

(I imagine it can also be easily implemented in Drambo, but at least for now I am trying to avoid going into the hell (or heaven) of unconstrained choices that Drambo represents, I would probably never come out again)

Comments

• FabFilter Saturn 2 and Sugar Bytes WOW2 come to mind.

• Filtatron seems to be working
    here as an IAA in AUM.
    Hammerhead on the input node
    with Filtatron as an insert to test if
    Filtatron will accept audio which it does.

You have to open up Filtatron first before
    instantiating it in AUM, a well known issue
    for IAA’s.

You could recreate it’s functions in
    Drambo for sure and add a few others
    if you’re feeling creative.

• @mojozart said:
    FabFilter Saturn 2 and Sugar Bytes WOW2 come to mind.

Cool, thanks for the advice, will check these out.

• @Gravitas I was trying to do it in Audiobus, I should have tried AUM, thanks for the pic!

• @circledsquare said:
    @Gravitas I was trying to do it in Audiobus, I should have tried AUM, thanks for the pic!

No worries.

Have fun. :)

• @circledsquare said:
    @Gravitas I was trying to do it in Audiobus, I should have tried AUM, thanks for the pic!

It does work in Audiobus also. You just have to launch Filtatron first.

• @uncledave said:

@circledsquare said:

It does work in Audiobus also. You just have to launch Filtatron first.

Yes, I see now, thanks.

• It doesn't seem to run stable in AUM. It just emits a single constant tone after about 6-8 minutes in AUM, using Hammerhead as an input. This has happened three times so far. I also tried a hard reset and it happened again.

• @circledsquare said:
    It doesn't seem to run stable in AUM. It just emits a single constant tone after about 6-8 minutes in AUM, using Hammerhead as an input. This has happened three times so far. I also tried a hard reset and it happened again.

Try doing exactly the same thing Audiobus.

• @Gravitas said:

@circledsquare said:
    It doesn't seem to run stable in AUM. It just emits a single constant tone after about 6-8 minutes in AUM, using Hammerhead as an input. This has happened three times so far. I also tried a hard reset and it happened again.

Same thing happens.

• @circledsquare said:

@Gravitas said:

@circledsquare said:

Same thing happens.

Hhhmmm.

Okay is possible for you to do a screen recording so that we can here the sound when it happens.

Not the full 6-8 minutes only when it does happen and post it up?

Also could you screenshot the settings that
    you’re using in Filtatron???

Maybe even email Moog themselves
    concerning the issue???

They are on the forum so tag them
    possible you could tag them in this thread?

• @MoogMusicInc

Sorry to disturb you but there seems to be an issue with Filtatron after 6-8 minutes.

I’m also going to see if I can recreate the issue on my idevices.

Hopefully you can assist.

Thank you in advance.

• @Gravitas said:
    @MoogMusicInc

Sorry to disturb you but there seem is to be an issue with Filtatron after 6-8 minutes.

Thank you in advance.

The bug is very easy to reproduce for me. I just start AUM or Audiobus. Add Hammerhead as a source, and set it to play a tabla pattern. Then add Filtatron as an effect. Then turn up Line input in Filtatron to maximum, so that I hear something, nothing else is changed. Then wait. After several minutes Filtatron stops playing music and plays a constant tone (not related to music). If I then eject Filtatron, Hammerhead is still playing fine.

IpadOS 14.5, 7th gen ipad (A2197)

I can send a screen recording later today if necessary. (Also, I plan to update IpadOS soon if that is interesting)

• @circledsquare said:

@Gravitas said:
    @MoogMusicInc

Sorry to disturb you but there seem is to be an issue with Filtatron after 6-8 minutes.

Thank you in advance.

The bug is very easy to reproduce for me. I just start AUM or Audiobus. Add Hammerhead as a source, and set it to play a tabla pattern. Then add Filtatron as an effect. Then turn up Line input in Filtatron to maximum, so that I hear something, nothing else is changed. Then wait. After several minutes Filtatron stops playing music and plays a constant tone (not related to music). If I then eject Filtatron, Hammerhead is still playing fine.

I can send a screen recording later today if necessary. (Also, I plan to update IpadOS soon if that is interesting)

Same bug on iphone 8+, running ios 14.6.

• Filtatron sounds awesome, I hope Moog can fix it. Here’s a clip of me using it live with Funk Box.

• edited June 2021

@OscarSouth said:
    Filtatron sounds awesome, I hope Moog can fix it. Here’s a clip of me using it live with Funk Box.

Nice! How are you using it here? Cutoff with expression pedal?

• @circledsquare said:

@circledsquare said:

@Gravitas said:
    @MoogMusicInc

Thank you in advance.

I recommend folks report it directly to Moog. While they sometimes visit here, direct contact will improve the odds that the bug report is seen.

• @espiegel123 said:

@circledsquare said:

@circledsquare said:

@Gravitas said:
    @MoogMusicInc

Thank you in advance.

I recommend folks report it directly to Moog. While they sometimes visit here, direct contact will improve the odds that the bug report is seen.

Agreed.

• edited June 2021

All this Filtatron talk made me dig it out, an app I have had forever but never actually used, and take it for a spin. Wow - where has it been all my iPad life? :) I had written it off as ‘just’ another filter, of which I now have many, more modern examples, but hadn’t really grokked it’s xy pad and sample loveliness before. Silly me. Just had to go and make a whole track with it, obvs…

Anyone interested can check out the result over at the Creations thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/45851/a-moog-filtatron-experiment-in-accidental-implied-music-tacit

• In response to the original question of alternatives since I’m seeing about the bug on Filtatron, you can run Model 15 in the effects slot for the Moog filter sound. Not the same experience though of course lol

• edited June 2021

(edit) I did report it to Moog by email last night, so I think we are good, they are usually very good at fixing this kind of bug based on my limited experience. I actually like to use the forum to eliminate user error (such as the one that started this thread in the first place).

I am guessing that it is easy to reproduce with ipados 14.5 or 14.6 (and not earlier). But I can upload a screen recording if anyone wants it.

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    In response to the original question of alternatives since I’m seeing about the bug on Filtatron, you can run Model 15 in the effects slot for the Moog filter sound. Not the same experience though of course lol

Right, I guess that would cover the filter and delay (maybe they are even the same?). I might try that, thanks. I have already tried using external LFOs with Model 15, that is pretty cool.

• @circledsquare said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Filtatron sounds awesome, I hope Moog can fix it. Here’s a clip of me using it live with Funk Box.

Nice! How are you using it here? Cutoff with expression pedal?

Accelerometer attached to the bass